Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Finally got around to trying out Rogue Stars after having the book for ages. It feels like either we were missing something or it's definitely more of a "roll dice, see what happens" wargame than we're used to. Two games in and we were already discussing basically scrapping the whole thing and just writing our own system. It's not bad exactly, just hard to work out what exactly the rules expect to happen at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Hasslefree, Infinity, some of the Rogue Stars stuff from Northstar...

TBH depends where on the Bladerunner/Ghost in the Shell scale you wanna go.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I've been looking into options for cyberpunk and barring infinity, no one seems to make enough coherent miniatures. Mantic's pathfinders are cool punkish characters but too uniform and military looking if you don't modify them. Enforcers could be corporate security but I can't recommend the models. Some of GW's necromunda gangs look like they could work but the aesthetics clash with everything else out there.

Reaper Bones 4 has about thirty Totally-Not-Shadowrun dudes coming out but they aren't here yet. Maybe if Starfinder takes off we'll get some unpainted minis like what they've done for D&D.
Mantic's Rebel faction from Deadzone has some decent humans actually, they mightvwork with a weapon swap or even as is. You need to buy a lot of aliens to get them though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Hasslefree is probably a good place to start looking.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

LashLightning posted:

And then people will start training messenger birds and-

Well, we can rest comfortable that this LARP can't happen where the actual trenches were for WWI as the land still has a bunch of unexploded bombs and other crazy poo poo. Otherwise this Airsoft game would be punctuated with the occasional explosion and rain of limbs.
Feature, not bug.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
To be fair, at that scale they have to have fangs that are like three inches long to be visible. Just get an appropriate other mini and paint it undead-like.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Of Gods and Mortals? It's similar to Rogue Stars in that it's based on Song of Blades and Heroes, but it seems like it's less inclined to your dudes being a statless list of special rules.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Didn’t PP just out out a skirmish game around a year ago?
Have they officially given up on warmahordes being a skirmish game then?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The problem is you can't be certain everything is in stock. I've ordered a couple of times and had orders split up by 3+ months because while it said "6+ in stock", it actually meant "just the one actually".

Also it's not really going to be a warehouse for all the boutique miniature companies that make small-run products. The closest thing to that I am aware of in the EU is http://miniature-heroes.co.uk/, and their list of products isn't quite as good as I remember it being in the past.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's sad. I love the look of their stuff and recently got a few bits from them to find out that they're even nicer in hand.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They're decent. I ordered some of their Rogue Stars stuff and there was the usual slight mould slippage and weirdly miscast parts that you'll see on reviews, but the Future Wars stuff I threw in with it was all great. Shipping was fast enough too. That's entirely their figures though, so it's not necessarily going to be as good when you look at the third party stuff they sell.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
TBH I don't think they've thought it through at all. The general tone of the UK right now is they're surprised and slightly put out that Ireland gained independence a hundred years ago so...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What scale are you looking for? GW did loads over the years with varying levels of greeble, and lots of classical/ancients ranges will have one somewhere.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Irate Tree posted:

28mm. I don't mind some of the GW ones but they're not really what i'm after, aesthetically.

Those aren't bad but the roman design isn't what i'm after, either. =/

Like, literally, just a giant crossbow on legs! Like the High Elf bolt thrower in design but with less bird bits and more rugged.
The old Goblin one used to be pretty solid with a metal toothy plate on the front that you could just remove. Hard to find these days though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

Yeah, at least in 4th and 5th edition it was a big choice wether to go for depth or width. Usually if you wanted to minimize damage caused to you you'd run 4 wide, and if you wanted to cause damage you ran 5 or more wide. Like for a greenskin army, a 4th ed gobbo unit could easily have a 4 wide formation with just bosses in the front rank.
I always left one mook in the front rank to give access to wound soakage due to how targeting rules worked. Janky as gently caress.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Tomorrow's War was an interesting tweak of Force on Force, but it was very much five minutes in the future with plausible tech really. Rogue Stars I really need to play with someone who has played it before. The system seems to clunky for me to grasp properly. After that I'm strugglng to think of a game that isn't franchise-tied to some degree. It's resulted in us giving up and going back to GW with Kill Team so far.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Osprey rulesets are particularly great for that. I have played maybe one in five of the books I have bought from them, if even that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I really like Hasslefree for that, but apparently they've had issues of late so you might be waiting a while. North Star/Copplestone Casting do some decent figures too.

ETA: herp, totally ignored the 15mm bit. Disregard. Khurasan do some stuff that might work, but they're apparently dicks who sockpuppet reviews for themselves so :shrug:

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 16, 2019

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's a great game. Basically just Force on Force with some additional tech levels and a sliding scale rather than "your dude's rifle is bolt action, so -1 die per team". Reactions are a lot messier than in Infinity, because if you react with a unit then it can't later act during the turn. "Regular" units can keep on reacting though, so they're not totally hosed. Also this can lead to reaction chaining, where everything on the board ends up activating all at once and the dice rolls need to be tracked to figure out what the actual sequence of events is after a unit fails to react but the unit that it is reacting to is itself reacting to a unit that shot at it but wipes it out because the reaction sequence is slow and then work out what the unit that reacted to the unit that failed does...

It's a glorious clusterfuck that really nails the "OH GOD SOMEONE IS SHOOTING AT ME WHAT DO I DO?!!?" :derp: feeling.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah but you sacrifice being able to initiate an action if you react prior to that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Space combat in Battletech might fit what you're looking for, as long as you avoid anything smaller than a warship and don't go nuts with fighters and dropships.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Apparently it was so broken as to make late X-Wing 1st edition look sensible.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Actually, CGL's Leviathans might fit the bill, if you can still find it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's possible, but I've not seen anything. The print and play versions are still floating around though so if you wanted to sci-fi them up it'd be doable.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A dude I know made a board game which was about becoming King Of The Pirates using those ships. He was planning to kickstart it at some point, but he never did in the end. Sad, because it was pretty similar to what you described and really fun at the last state I played it in.

Uncharted Seas might be something like what you are looking for, but TBH I never played it and last I heard it was long out of production. I heard good things though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arquinsiel posted:

It's possible, but I've not seen anything. The print and play versions are still floating around though so if you wanted to sci-fi them up it'd be doable.
Update: https://monstersinthesky.com

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Those marines are noticeably taller than the old ones, these are going to be tall minis.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

FrostyPox posted:

But I'm also a (harmless) jerk at heart and really want to paint dudes up as DC characters to possibly make nerds mad (and make cool people laugh, or not care).
In the way back when before he started working for Games Workshop and lost his soul a friend of mine started playing Soviets in Flames of War.

Except painted as Imperial Fists.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Malthusian posted:

But curiously, there is no fall damage in the rules.
Makes sense. Superhero landing.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Indolent Bastard posted:

Are there good and cheap sources for 6mm, 10mm or 15mm, mechs, vehicles, troops and buildings?

Lots of stuff I'm fining is insanely expensive for what you get. A single 10mm mini for almost $20? WTF?!?

A friend is getting into Horizon Wars and as usual I'm getting the itch to buy all the minis.
6MM is roughly Battletech scale, but the tanks and infantry are huge. Best thing to do is try work out what you actually want first and then people can nudge you. The Historicals thread has a lot of people who have been doing 6mm Cold War stuff, for example.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cassa posted:

So I backed The Carniverse, a warband skirmish game with dinosaurs as a random issue.

But watching the videos they had available, the campaign stuff kinda put me off. What is with skirmish games with a campaign and the seeming inability to not have some kind of intentional death spiral/runaway leader? Or at least, what feels like no effort to do anything about it beyond 'believe in the heart of the dice'.
I was impressed that Rogue Stars just gives you the exact XP cost of the figure that died, but sadly the system itself is clunky enough that playing more than two games is unlikely for my group.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The problem is that it encourages you to get legless Bob killed pointlessly so that you can replace him with Bob2.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It could if you wanted it to, but you'd be rolling a lot.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sounds like they've taken some cues from Infinity too.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I feel like cardboard terrain would make this a thing I am marginally more likely to play.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Regular SAGA had stuff in it that was basically magic anyway. I remember playing as Kievan Rus and being able to summon snowstorms.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
People already take and modify mechanics from all over, but the closest to what you are describing would be the old D&D 3.X OGL which... yeah.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

LashLightning posted:

There's similar versions for D&D's 4th edition, which lead to some books that members of these forums liked, FATE and Run By The Apocalypse(?). So something like the OGL isn't exactly dead in the water.
I'm not sure how successful they are worldwide, in that I've only ever heard my local RPG nerds talk about FATE. I suppose it's a lot easier to trace the "inspiration" of wargames mechanics than RPG mechanics though, since the systems tend to be somewhat smaller.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Grognards sprue from the Karwansaray survey/giveaway arrived last night. They really did the concept art justice, although it looks like there's no option to have a rifle without a hand on the trigger which leaves out one of the "traditional" grenade throwing poses. The majority of the cool head options are on a separate sprue, but for the low price of free I can't really complain. Definitely makes me want to get more and then end up regretting my life choices as they are clearly designed for 40k use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

vkeios posted:

It says four types on their site but it seems like there’s more. There’s Adrian helmets, shakos, bearskins, and those also have gasmask variants as well.

So 6 types. And I assume there’s a decent amount of expressions for the nonmasked versions.
There are three Adrian + gas mask heads on the sprue with the rest of the figures, and then a whole extra sprue of just heads. Presumably they have enough of that sprue in the box to do all the heads you could need.