Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Well, my other thread fell into the archives, so I'm gonna start another one. I'll dump everything that I'm doing on the bikes into here for shits and giggles. As it stands:

I decided it was time to rearrange the garage.

All of the bikes out...

Clean everything up...

New project, 2001 ZX9R...doesn't look too bad.

How's the other side...

Oh goddamnit. :mad:

Pulled the tank:

What I found:

Pulled and cleaned the carbs, which were surprisingly clean...just 2 clogged pilots and one clogged main.

Filled it with oil, and didn't fire it up...need to wait on a stator cover. They don't like firing when the pin that joins the starter to the starter sprag isn't supported on both sides. :v: I'm waiting on a stator cover from ebay.

As I left things at the end of the night....

Plans for this bike are to just rat it out. I don't give a poo poo, it's a cheap beater to have fun on.

And it only has 2200 miles on it. I hope all of the mechinicals are in as good shape as the carbs were, they looked drat near pristine with the exception of the clogged ones. Very impressive. Apparently these bikes have fantastic engines, torquey and powerful with excellent carberation. As it stands the plans are to dump some bars on it, find a replacement tank, paint everything rat black, and see how long it goes until it explodes. I'm gonna have to find a silencing insert for that Yosh pipe as I'm sure it's loud as gently caress. They're pretty heavy, wet, but hopefully with everything stripped off of it, it'll be a bit lighter.

Besides that, I've got a mid 90s honda 600 coming in soon to clean the carbs and R/R. Should be a busy few weeks.

The ZX6R is basically done, it's charging now that the stator has been replaced and I just need to get the replacement upper fairing and windshield, mount the fairings properly with all of the appropriate hardware, and then it's going up for sale.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

AncientTV posted:

That 6R cleaned up nice. The 9R being a junkyard find (I assume with the designations on the tank) is awesome, it's going to look like my 500's big brother with what you're planning on :3:

Cabledude posted:

Can you please post pictures of the ZX6R? I think I may have missed them.

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I don't think I ever posted any decent pictures of it...

Zool posted:

You just love the letter Z don't you?
I have a honda showing up soon, but yes, it seems that I have a strange affection for the letter Z. Maybe because it corresponds to how I finish when I go racing. :xd:

redscare posted:

This is why I want a garage :(

It's funny, me and the g/f agreed that we'd dump all the bikes to free up cash and buy 2 supermotos plus whatever project I'm working on...and somehow, I end up with 5 bikes in the week that we decide that. Hilarious.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

infraboy posted:

Whats the lowest you'll go for a goon on that ZX-6 when you sell it? I might be interested... I saw your post on BARF forums too.

Also any pics of the Honda F2 that you said you or your friend had?

It's coming up this weekend. I'll post pictures once I've got it.

Cost is going to depend on how much I have to pay the DMV for salvage fees. Somewhere in the low-mid 3s. I'd like to get at least 100$ for my time invested in the thing. :sigh: I'll let you know once I go into the DMV and figure out how much my final cost is going to be.

In an update on the ZX6R, I rode it down to ventura this morning only to be told that they cannot look at the bike. :sigh: On the bright side, the officer directed me to the correct phone number, which is the CHP coastal Salvage organization, and I finally found someone who has a clue what the gently caress to do. I got the correct info, I know what I need to do, and I should be able to secure ownership on the bike by Jan 25th, when I can get it inspected by the CHP. I just need to go into the DMV, convince them to let me pay the salvage fees to them, then go to the local dealership, get a brake and light inspection, and then I can take that plus a bundle of paper to the CHP and they will give me a title.

On the bright side, now that I know what to do, I should be able to speed through this process next time.

Red, I also figured out the difference between your bike and my bike: Yours is pre 01, the restrictions on that are much less stringent, I think pretty much anyone can inspect those.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 14, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Are you going to put the plastics back on the 9? If not, are you aware of the issue you'll have to address with the vacuum (I think) hoses in the intake?

Plastics probably aren't going back on. I am aware of the vacuum stuff, my ZX6E had a ram air system and I hosed that thing up enough times to learn how they work.

Basically, the plan is going to be to block off all of the old CA emissions poo poo (the rubber is all pretty much gone anyways), pound the reed valves in the valve cover shut, and then strip all of the ram air stuff out. I'm gonna do it as non-permanently as possible so I can modify it until it runs decently.

I'm also considering learning to fiberglass a bit and 'glassing up a custom fairing with mounts for the ram air. I haven't really decided yet, I want to make sure it's running first, and then I'll dick with everything else.

aventari posted:

the CHP inspection sucks. I has to get it done 2 or 3 years ago when I swapped an Ebay motor into my Ninja 650R and sold it.

You have to wait around forever for a bunch of rear end in a top hat cops who have zero interest in helping you or letting you know what's going on. After a lot of sitting around, they bring the bike around the back, and don't let you look at what they're doing while they inspect numbers and I assume check a nationwide stolen VIN database.

If even the motor VIN comes back stolen, they take the whole bike on the spot and you're hosed from what I understand. I didn't know any of this till I installed the motor and was selling the bike. I had my fingers crossed the whole time I didn't get a stolen motor unwittingly.

All of this after 2 trips to AAA and at least 2 trips to the hell-hole regular DMV and everytime I had to meet there with the guy I was selling the bike to.

We're thankfully a different CHP area from you guys, and I've got an officer who actually seems fairly competent and like he knows what he's doing. I've already taken the bike in twice, and the first time the officer wouldn't even look at it, and the second time, he ran the numbers and let me know it was a salvage title, but not stolen. So I've got that hurdle over at least.

For those of you who want to check VINs, you can check the NICB database. They're the only resource I've seen for finding out if a vehicle is stolen or not. And they don't do engine checks. But it's something, at least, if you're buying a bike where you're gonna be filling out a statement of facts on the title.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

You can't piss it all off, there's one hose that runs from the carbs and normally lives in the intake in the fairing, you just need to drill a hole on the airbox and jam it in.

Good point. That hose just equalizes ram air pressure to the carbs so it doesn't lean out, so I figured that it probably wouldn't matter much if the rest of the ram air wasn't doing poo poo, but your advice is better.

I'm tempted to hate myself a little and put cone filters on it and just ride it like that...I miss intake noise after riding my SV with the flatslides on it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

It's what I had to do on my old 6R fighter. It's basically just got to match the pressure in the intakes. You can do it on bikes still with the tupperware.

I'm actually tempted to run pod filters just because I'm a whore for the sound of induction. If I could just get a little rattle from the carbs, it'd be like the sound of my SV...

Maybe I can find a set of flatslides that'll cost me more than the bike and put those on there...:sigh:

Anyways, real update:

ZX6R: Those fairings are the chinese made ebay fairings. I bought mine from a guy named "stylechoose". I was hesitant to purchase their products, given the possibility of no returns, blah blah blah, but decided to take the leap.

Although they accidentally gave me the wrong tracking number, the fairings showed up ~25 days after I purchased them, as they estimated. Fairings all look good, they're definitely thinner and softer than OEM plastics, but the paint quality is good. Unfortunately, the upper fairing was damaged in transit, and there was a very small chip taken out of the windshield, in a non-visible area.

I asked about compensation for those items, and they asked for pictures, and then shipped me 2 new parts at their cost. They showed up yesterday, I was waiting for them to show before I posted about them, but overall, it was a really good experience. The first windshield was really simple, but the second one is very high quality, I'm very impressed with it. The paint quality is good, they come with heat shielding already laid in, and I didn't notice until after I sent the first email that one of the tabs on the belly pan is damaged, but it's not visible and really not a big deal.

I'm waiting on some bolts to show up to secure things properly, and then it's sorting out the title issues at the DMV and the CHP, and hopefully by the 25th I should be the registered owner of the bike.

ZX9R:

Still sitting. I managed to score a tank for 10$, a patched stator cover for 55$, and a set of triples for 60$. The stator will hopefully be here this weekend, although it may be tuesday before it shows up. Once that's here I should be able to fire the bike up and see how it runs.

Honda: Should show up this weekend.

ZZR1200: Needs to have a bunch of basic maintenance done, need to check the valves, do the oil, coolant, brake/clutch fluid flush, chain lube.

Z1000: Oil change, filter change, clean it up and get it prepped for sale.

That's all for now. Hopefully at the end of this weekend, I'll have the Honda running, and 9R started for the first time. Then it's just sort DMV/CHP problems, get everything up on the block, and when stuff sells, buy supermotos and new projects.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

94 F2 showed up today...it's not in bad shape. I pulled the carbs, cleaned them out, dumped the old gas, fed it from a slave tank, and it fired up for the first time in about a year.

There's still some poo poo that needs to be taken care of, it needs:

Rear rotor
Rear brake pads
left side mirror
clutch lever
chain
fork seals
rear turn signal

I'm also gonna check the valves, change the oil, and change the plugs.

With that...on to the pics:

More detailed post on it later :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sloppy posted:

Where do you find trashed bikes like that ZX9R? I'd love to find some POS to tinker and beat on, but I've never seen a bike at a junkyard.

Craigslist, craigslist, and more craigslist. I'm willing to travel down to LA for the right project, and I'm lucky enough to have friends who are also on the lookout for me. The 9R was a find by a friend.

If it's a first project, I recommend something that runs already. That isolates out a lot of potential issues, and at the end of the day, it's still a running motorcycle. You can clean up wiring, fix up assorted items, but I prefer to stay out of the engines if at all possible. I'll do maintenance work but full rebuilds are rarely cost effective.

After you mess around a bit, you'll start to develop a sense for what is worthwhile and what isn't. That ZX9R looks like a piece but actually turned out fairly well, I should have it up and running in streetfighter form for relatively cheap. The F2 is bought from a friend, and the ZX6R was found on craigslist as well.

Don't be afraid to politely lowball people, either. A lot of times they're dealing with a husk of a motorcycle and all crashed bikes look the same to those who don't know what they're looking for, so if you've got some experience you can pick up great deals. I tend to try and work people down by working out what's wrong and going from there. Ideally, before I get into a project, I have some idea of the parts market for the bike. The ZX9 has been a bit of a pain in the rear end because it didn't have a super long run in this form, and it's getting to be 10ish years old. For 600cc/1000cc supersports, I try and find bikes that are less than 5 years old, because parts are still fairly plentiful and the availability tends to be high and prices low up until around the 6-8 year mark. Then parts get harder to find and prices go up.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 17, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Well, I got screwed by USPS. They apparently dropped off the stator cover for the ZX9R but it never actually made it to my house. Marked as delivered, but no package. Fan..loving...tastic. I spent way too much on a damaged but usable stator cover and it gets stolen off my porch, apparently. Wonderful.

The tank and triples showed up, but I can't fire up the bike until I get that loving cover. :argh:

On the F2, I ordered a couple of parts on ebay (new rear rotor and chain adjuster), and this weekend I'll check/adjust the valves. I also picked up new fork seals and a replacement clutch lever. I'll also clean the rear caliper, install new pads, and hopefully the replacement rear rotor will show up as well.

The ZX6R got the undamaged upper installed, and new windscreen installed. This weekend I need to drop the exhaust to install some new exhaust gaskets, as I made the rookie mistake of reusing the old ones and ended up with an exhaust leak. Whoops. I also want to restore the front end to stock ride height, I lifted the forks a little in the triples by, ahem, not tightening the triples down enough before a test ride, and I need to correct that, as it feels a little funny because of the change.

I also need to bleed the brakes on every bike in the garage. :sigh: 3 brake lines per bike, plus the clutch on the ZZR, on 4 bikes, 13 seperate bleeds to do. And every (running) bike in the garage needs an oil change too. :sigh: That's gonna be around 100$ in oil, filters, and brake fluid. :(

This is why I hate owning multiple bikes. Something on something needs work all the goddamn time, and god forbid you have normal maintenance on all of them at once.

Still, bitching about having too many motorcycles to work on is pretty much the epitome of a first world problem, so it's hard to complain too much :)

Z3n fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 23, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

That sucks about the cover, any chance of getting compensated? I'm having some issues with USPS as well. Bought a camera lens on ebay, you'd think shipping from America to Norway would be straight forward but...

Electronic Shipping Info Received, December 28, 2009
Arrival
International Dispatch, January 03, 2010, 1:51 pm, FOREIGN CENTERJERSEY CITY NJ 099
International Dispatch, January 06, 2010, 1:51 pm, ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)
International Dispatch, January 09, 2010, 8:40 am, ISC MIAMI FL (USPS)
Arrived Abroad, January 12, 2010, 3:12 pm, EL SALVADOR

:downsrim:

Turns out that the postman just decided it would be a good idea to hide the box behind the neighbor's garage. Why? NO ONE KNOWS.

Goddamn postmen. I guess that's better than el salvador.

Phat_Albert posted:

Go oldschool and get some cable actuated brakes :whatup:

The problem with those is I hear they have difficulty, you know...stopping.

Today I cleaned up the garage and moved a computer down there so I can have tunes, forums, and access to all of the repair manuals I have stored on my file server.

I filled the F2 with gas, took it out for a spin (should have aired up the tires first, but oh well). The rear rotor didn't show up, but the rear brake amazingly works pretty well when it's just mashing the backing pad onto the rotor. :downs:

I also slapped the cover on the ZX9R and fired it up for the first time. It uses CR9EKs, for some reason, which are the dual arm spark plugs. I started it up but the #2 cylinder wasn't firing, and it didn't want to rev, so I pulled the plugs, and discovered that all of them were black and lovely. I replaced them with some CR9Es I had sitting around (after making sure it wouldn't explode my bike), and swapped the #2 and #3 coils to make sure it wasn't a coil problem. It still wasn't firing on #2, so I popped the carbs off again, cleaned out a pilot jet that had clogged itself again, and slapped it all back together and it's firing on 4 now. The Yoshi pipe is stupid loud. I also tarted it up for shits and giggles.

Why? Because I could. :smug:

It needs:
Rearsets
Left side control pod
Airbox
Plastics?

Tomorrow, I'll probably check the valves on the F2, swap the exhaust gaskets on the ZX6R, and who knows what else will get done.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

That actually looks pretty cool. Get a little projector-style little either side of the bottom of the screen, get a sort of Granpasso-look going on. Then chuck on a big-rear end set of Renthal Fat Bars.

That is pretty much the plan. I've got 2 projector style headlights, we'll see how it goes. Regardless, it's all getting shot flat black.

What happened this weekend:

I adjusted the valves on the CBR, further cementing my opinion that Sochiro made some sort of deal with the devil on his motorcycles, one that makes Faust look like a child. They run great. Absurdly well, considering. But working on them is like prying digested jelly beans from Satan's rear end in a top hat. The entire bike is simply unkind when you attempt to work on it. The valve cover is a bitch to get out unless you remove the loving radiator, you can wedge it out sideways from the airbox side but it involves a lot of swearing and a particular incantation as you approach it from the holy angle. The cam caps don't want to come off, and whoever torqued them down previously did it with the strength of a thousand suns, and they put a cam chain cover bolt right in an impossible location, such that you can't get the good end of a wrench on it. And it is also torqued with the force of a thousand suns. I don't know why Honda apparently designs motorcycles with the single intent of loving mechanics as much as possible.

On the bright side, it's done, the manual CCT was adjusted (super easy to do, dunno why I even thought it'd be an issue), and the bike runs nicely with the tires aired up properly and is actually a lot of fun to ride.

I fixed the exhaust leak on the ZX6R, praise the lord, I loving hate exhaust leaks with a firey passion. I noticed that the new gaskets I had were about 3x as thick as the old ones. Maybe that had something to do with it.

On sunday, I messed with the 9R a little more, no real progress there though.

Today I took the ZX6R into the CHP, the guy was really nice and went way above and beyond the call of duty to get me sorted out. I've got all the paperwork in order, he ran out to me on the bike to avoid me having to come back on thursday, just a surprisingly pleasant experience, although a lot of waiting. Should be able to go into the DMV on wednesday or so and get my title for the 6R.

Tonight I discovered that either the lower triple tree on the 9R is bent, or the forks are bent. I'm gambling on the second, because I already have a replacement set of triples and it'd just be too easy if only the lower triple was bent. Replacement forks will run me around 100$ on ebay, not too bad, considering I'd have to pay 35$ for new fork seals. Hopefully that's all that's damaged. I also need to pick up a set of bar mounts for it, and a front seat, and a bunch of flat black paint. I think I'll leave the wheels red though.

Sorry this is all text and no pictures, the camera battery is still dead. I take lovely pictures anyways.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

So what kind of supermotos are you planning to buy? Street bikes, converted dirtbikes, track-only bikes?

Looks like at the moment the plan is a Husky 610 for the g/f, and a KTM 690 for me. I also want to pick up a reasonably priced (ideally, 2k or less) street legal dirtbike that can also handle serious MX type stuff (ie, learning to jump, whoops, etc), to start training for supermoto races. Any suggestions? Or am I gonna have to suck it up and buy a non-street legal bike and drive it out to offroad areas?

2ndclasscitizen posted:

^ I would do filthy things to own one of these.

I'd be lying if I didn't say my initial inspiration for that setup was one of those. The problem I'm facing now is how to integrate the ram air...I think that unfortunately I may just end up stripping out the ram air and dumping the project to make money for the sumos rather than building it up to be an awesome custom streetfighter.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

I ended up just picking up a cheap dirtbike (97 KDX200) to beat up and ride off road. Am going to look and see if is possible to plate but I don't know if it is.

It really depends on your state. Some are lax about it, some are not. I'd look very carefully into the laws before I started doing anything, as in CA you can get a vin blacklisted for street registration if you say the wrong things. :rolleyes:

redscare posted:

Once I get this condo buying thing out of the way, I'm trucking the FZR up to SB for some overhaulin', so you better not move anytime soon!

Right-o...move before red gets his condo, got it. :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Cabledude posted:

Just curious here... as a CA Resident I'm interested in the process of legalizing a dirt bike for street use. Besides the obvious additions of lights and signals what else is there?

And how can you get the VIN Blacklisted?

What dirt bike? If it's not an on road motorcycle, it's literally impossible now. You used to be able to skate with double registration, but all of those have gotten pulled.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

redscare posted:

At the rate poo poo's been going today, you might not even have time to empty the garage of surplus bikes before that!

Congrats! I guess things are going well then :)

Where the gently caress is Baton Rouge? Sounds...norcalish. :downs:

That's a nice one but...so far away.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Don't bother, just leave the intakes in the frame open.

What about the carb equalizer? Route it to the airbox?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

redscare posted:

At the rate poo poo's been going today, you might not even have time to empty the garage of surplus bikes before that!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3119867&pagenumber=3&perpage=40#post371696348

:parrot: Race you, bitch! :parrot:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Well, fixed the chain that was a link too long, changed the oil on the ZX6R and the Z1000, lubed chains, etc. Tomorrow I'll dive into the front forks on the F2, and sometime soon it'll get a new chain, then it'll be drat near ready to go.

Today I picked up a mirror for the F2, sprocket cover for the ZX6R, and...well, that's about it. Kind of a long day for not getting much done :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

F2's up for sale.

It's up for 1800$ on CL but I'll let it go for 1400$ to a goon.

CL ad:
http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/mcy/1592548507.html

quote:

1994 Honda F2
39k miles
Clean title

Aftermarket parts:
Frame sliders
D&D Slip On

Recent maintenance:
New brake pads and rear rotor
New chain
Oil and coolant changed in the last 500 miles
Tires have good tread but are old
Brake fluid just flushed
Valves djusted 100 miles ago
Comes with PDF repair manual

Problems:
Minor cosmetic flaws
Needs fork seals changed, I have a set and fork oil that will go with the bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

$50 posted.

Only if you ply me with australian delicacies. :colbert:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Holy crap tim tams look delicious. Screw the money, 50$ worth of tim tams is all I need :neckbeard:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Well, yesterday I pulled the front forks on the ZX6R. I've got pictures of everything coming apart and going back together if anyone wants to see it, it's pretty straightforward. I also did the wire mod on it, which means it pulls pretty nicely from 13k+. I also confirmed the sale on dimplebutt, although I'll have it for a little while longer until my friend comes down from canada to pick it up.

And I relisted the bikes, this time on the LA craigslist, because santa barbara craigslist is a ghost town. I hate not living in a major metro area because it's such a pain in the rear end to sell bikes. :sigh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Got more interest in the bikes on CL in LA, but of course it's a bunch of dudes being jerkoffs. No, I won't take 3100$ because that's all you got and yo' car is broke. Your 02 YZ250F, despite being what I'm looking for, is not worth 3k.

Installed new exhaust gaskets on the truck, I probably have some form of debilitating lung cancer now from grinding down the gaskets to fit. Stupid auto store, unable to get me the right gaskets even with measurements. :argh: At least it fits now.

Also changed the oil on the ZZR1200...maybe I should go run all of this to the disposal facility...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Man that beast takes a lot of oil!

It sure did take a lot till it started coming out of the fill hole! :downs:

Most of that was gone through in this month. Sigh. Between 5 bikes and the g/f's truck I have to buy a lot of oil :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sold the 636! :woop: Made a grand total of 150$ on it...which sounds good until you realize that my friend was right. He said: Flipping bikes will make you money as long as you value your time at around 10c an hour. :eng99:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

If you count it as half money paid for entertainment, and half money lost for labor, you break even, and everything else is pure profit.

Also, consider how the time spent on the bike keeps you from sinful activities.

Oh, I'd still absolutely do it. I made money, I learned a bunch, had some fun, got to ride a 636, it was a good experience all around. Sold it to the most :3: french guy ever...he hopped a 5 hour train ride to come up and buy the bike. Which is ballsy, considering he only knew me from some craigslist posting and a couple of e-mails. He sent me a text when he got home and said the bike was great, which is the best feeling ever after selling a bike.

Raven457 posted:

/giggles wildly

I suppose that all depends on whether or not one considers committing moving violations to be sinful :)

Oh believe me, the sinful's gonna be going down, here's the g/f's new bike:

quote:

These are the mods on the bike:

2003 DRZ400S converted SM with
Excel 17” rims with gold Talon hubs
434cc Cylinder Works big bore kit (12:1 compression)
Hotcam Stage 2 intake cam
Hotcam Stage 2 exhaust cam
CVK 40mm carburetor
Motomaster 4 piston front caliper
320mm oversized brake rotor
Motormaster rear brake rotor (could use replacement in near future)
Braided stainless front brake line
DRZ400E header and exhaust (larger than stock S and SM stock exhaust without the noise)
3x3 airbox mod
Scotts damper mounting bracket
CNC case covers
Trailtech Vapor tach/speedo
Cylops headlight
KTM supermoto front fender
3.9 gallon Clarke tank
DRZ400E CDI (with 500 higher RPM limit)
APE manual chain tensioner
Sisneros Superstarter Kit (larger ampere battery)
ZX10 rectifier/regulator
Acerbis handguards
Wide footpegs
1/5th turn throttle
Triumph Speed Triple LED brake light (super bright)
Brake light modulator
Suzuki OEM rear rack
Shaved down stock seat
Water pump fix/mod
Replaced fork oil, clutch cable and clutch plates @ 8k ago.

The bike also comes with new chain and sprockets, newish meaty set of tires, a bunch of front brake pads, stock piston and block, stock cams, inner tubes, and misc plastics.

Valves were checked less than 500 miles ago and were always within specs and never needed new shims.

The only downside to the bike is that it has 36,000+ commute miles.
I had 30,000 miles on the original stock bore and install the big bore kit ~6k ago.

The price reflects the high miles but it is a great fun bike for the city and twisty. The engine has been bullet proof.

Thanks.

Thing is AWESOME.

:flashfap:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Cabledude posted:

I'm assuming that red bull can that's tucked in there is beneficial in some way? :P

edit:

poo poo that thing looks good for 36k miles, nice find.

It just covers the reservoir for the shock...it's not on there anymore. And it's back to the stock exhaust, which is nice.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

jdonz posted:

Great find, I'm jealous. Did you sell her Kawisaki already? How much did you pick up the DRZ for? And the most important one, how many wheelies have you ripped already?

Yeah, the Z1000 was sold to a nice russian dude for a song (2400$), but...we'd only paid 2600$ for it a year and 8k ago. Never did anything to it, either, just oil and gas. DRZ was 3250$, but we paid the guy another 50$ for a 36 liter locking givi case + mount.

As to wheelies...well...I actually haven't had a chance to ride it much, just the test ride and down to the gas station. It's somewhere in the 10-20 range, though. Haha, stupid supermotos.

NitroSpazzz posted:

drat good find on the DRZ. That thing has got to be a blast with all that work done to it.

It's quite fun, but it's sort of interesting...

The way the bike is set up it has some serious midrange but tapers off on the top, probably because the stock exhaust is fairly restrictive and it's using the CVK40 rather than a FCR39/41. But it's quiet and it gets 50mpg, which is more important to her than absolute power. If I were racing it, it'd be getting a pipe and an FCR, but it's her bike and for street riding, stock exhaust, little less power, more midrange, and good gas mileage is where it's at.

And it stops like you hit a brick wall. Full floating 320mm front rotor, 4 piston motomaster brake kit, and it stops like basically nothing else I've ever ridden. It's great.

Pictures from the first ride:

Click here for the full 1536x1152 image.

And it was great that I have a friend (also a goon) nice enough loan me his DRZ so I could avoid riding the ZZR up goat trails :) It was cold but beautiful up there.

Click here for the full 1536x1152 image.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 22, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Armacham posted:

i have that same top case and i thought it looked huge on my klr O_o

Yeah it's massive but it's so useful! Plus, girl on a supermoto, so it's just adding some additional :psyduck: to the equation.

Endless Mike posted:

How is the case attached to the rack? Also, is that little black pod on the side the part that comes with the rear rack to put the tool kit in?

Yeah, the little black pod is the toolkit holder. The givi stuff is really nice, I understand why people pay through the nose for it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

It would be awesome if guys could find girls to work on our toys for us and then get turned on when we play with them.

:allears:

Raven457 posted:

You'd better start saving for bail money now, sir.

Well, it's her bike, and she's pretty much the most responsible rider ever, so...I'm not too concerned. I will be concerned when I starting building mine though. :sigh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

Sorry Zen, but supermoto ownership is a perfect example of power corruption.

Giving someone a supermoto is like giving them a big red button labelled PRESS HERE FOR AWESOME and telling them not to press it. Except in this case its a lever marked FLICK THIS FOR AWESOME WHEELIE and another marked PULL THIS FOR WICKED STOPPIE.

I always thought I was such a responsible rider, chiding all the noisy wheelie-merchants, I was more responsible than that.

Oh, believe me, I know. I took the DRZ up into the hills a couple days back, and it was great because I could ride like a complete rear end in a top hat, wheelies on corner exit and stoppies on corner entrance and there was absolutely no one around to see it. It's like my own little play area.

She told me a few days ago she wants to learn to wheelie, and I feel half :ohdear: and half :neckbeard:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

So I've spent the last year thinking up awesome things to do and...promptly not doing them. Racing consumed a lot of my time and energy, and basically all of my money, so now that I've decided to break from racing until my economic situation improves, I've got some time and money to devote to other projects. With that in mind, I've decided to try something new each month. I'll budget around 200$ for each monthly project, and see if any of it bears fruit. If it doesn't, wasting 200$ to fill my weekends is pretty cheap, and if it does, I've made some neat stuff or learned a new skill. Win/win.

I've always wanted to try my hand at carbon fibercrabon fibre parts, so I took the plunge and ordered 140$ worth of stuff from a UK carbon fiber place called Carbon Mods. I picked up their Crabon Fibre Laminating Starter Kit and their Mould Making Kit. I know that I could have gotten the individual parts cheaper, but they provided a lot of free information in a professional, easy to understand format, and I figure that for a first time project, I may as well go with the kit that will hold my hand through the entire thing. And I like supporting businesses that make the effort to give to the community.

Here's their Mould making video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKrl1PPvliQ
and their CF part video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAdVO8Rkv6c

I debated what part to do first, initially wanting to do the side cover that covers the airbox, but that piece is complicated, with a piece of inner molding that fits into the airbox and makes up one side of it. So instead, I've decided to do the middle tail section. It's not structural, there's nothing special about it, it's just a simple piece of plastic. Should be perfect for a first time project. I ordered the kits yesterday, they should be here sometime next week-ish.

Other things I checked out out of curiosity about eventually building some structural stuff (CF Subframe! :woop:) were Damon Rinard's CF Bicycle and The Jarvis Illustrated Guide to Carbon Fiber Construction, which is a guy who made an awesome CF rocket. These don't apply directly to what I want to do, but there are definitely some little tips and tricks I picked up from each one to make my life easier. Plus, it's always cool to watch someone make something.

Also, I found an 01 DRZ400S that I'll hopefully be picking up tomorrow morning, if no one else swipes it out from under me. Engine's been taken to E spec, it's got an exhaust, a plate, upgraded suspension, and some other odds and ends. ~6k miles, oil changed every 2 rides, filter every 3, guy is getting out of dual sporting and into track riding with his kids and the bike just sits. For 2000$ with everything current, it seems like a good deal, the guy seems honest and straightforward, he told me about some stuff that he didn't have to tell me about over the phone.

So yeah, my grand plan of cleaning out the garage before acquiring more bikes? Huge failure. Back up to 5 already.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 26, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

redscare posted:

Haha you god drat lunatic

Just wait until I have my entirely CF motorcycle, built out of dreams and :smug:

And then it shatters into a thousand pieces and kings me with a crown of shattered CF and burning hot exhaust.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Honestly, it'll probably look better if you just spray painted them with that CF spraypaint than me doing my first CF piece. I have a feeling I'm going to end up being hilariously bad at this. But that's ok, that's where the fun is. :haw:

If I am decent at it, though, I'm open to doing requests.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah, a very small part of me is quietly optimistic about the idea of kicking out a bunch of random parts for specialty/niche markets like that. I'm desperately trying to avoid putting the cart before the horse though, as that's what tends to kill me. But if this goes well, we could definitely try something, obviously for a "pre-production" part, I wouldn't want anything more than the cost of materials, and if you didn't like it, no big deal, you don't have to pay for it. A learning experience is priority one for now. :)

Who makes those B12 CF covers?

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 26, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

http://www.whaccessories.com/Suzuki%20Bandit.htm Halfway down under Radiator/Engine covers. I was wrong, its $200, not $300, still too much IMO.

Interesting. It shouldn't be that much in raw material cost...we'll see how my first part turns out and go from there.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nerobro posted:

this... is stupidly simple stuff to do. Like.. $4-5hrs of time to make them the first time, and half an hour for each one afterwords.

Well, don't forget that it's 100$ for the pair, plus you've got the cost of the CF, and your mold and shipping. And that you've got both application time and cure time with each one. And I have my doubts about being able to do it in 30 minutes, considering everything. 30 minutes of total work to lay the piece? Sure, but don't forget that you also need to sand it, polish it, and that the 30 minutes of work is going to be spread out over a couple of hours of wait time for the stuff to resin properly set up and get tacky.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

This is wet lay, not vacuum bagging, which I think is a bit more time consuming. If I get into it, I might vacuum bag stuff in the future, but...baby steps.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Z3n, plz make a CF statue of yourself doing exactly your avatar and plaque it with 'Best Ever' for me would you. :respek:

I'll make it out of CF and Unobtanium!

laymil posted:

Make sure you record it for posterity. This sounds like the best way to die.

It really does. I mean, sure, Britten made his own bike, and his own engine, and it withstood the tests of time, and was amazing, but I think I'll settle for "doesn't cause death".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zool posted:

This composite stuff sounds like fun. Hey I'm going to borrow the clutch cover from your streetfighter and make a carbon one. (Already started) Better to ask forgivness than permission, as I always say.

But what about all the oil! :qq:

Stupid ducatis. Real men run their clutches open and pray that their clothes never have an encounter with them.

• Locked thread