Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

Oh, and I couldn't imagine bicycling daily on a singlespeed. I may bicycle to work everyday but I do it on a road bike with 24 gears like a real human being.

I used to ride to work in Delaware on my SS, but then it was only 5 miles. My current cycle is ~25 miles, so I use a road double and a 9 speed 105. Nothing wrong with single speeds over distance if you aren't in a huge rush. Chain's unlikely to derail itself at speed as well. e: I have one of those bags in blue, but doing a longer commute now, I just put racks and soft bags on my touring frame. Department of not making life hard for myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

Yeah where is that guy anyways? :xd:

He can't post right now. He said something about his bike dying on him and then catching fire.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Ola posted:

Are there any bike manufacturers that have mastered the electron? Harley? Triumph?

None.

BSA did master the Quark in 1963, and introduced it as a standard feature on all 1964 models. However, as with Lucas electrics, owners never observed them working.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Forty Two posted:

Thanks for the info! I've been looking at different camera systems and the main problem is always the massive windblast. I've read a lot about clever tricks with foam and whatnot but it never seems to help much.

I'll give rider's discount a go, hopefully they ship to the UK...

Supermotard Mag just did a comparison of a number of onboard camera systems - might be worth a read. No. 47 for Jan/Feb. Also with DRZ and Dorsoduro 1200 goodness, from your local foreign press establishment. Don't think they have a website.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Careful with that towel. Being a duck, it's going to poo poo the bed shortly.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Will you guys cry when you eat her?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Requesting lap times for the duck.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Wait wait wait...

Proud barbarian internet name, check.

Possibly from a proud barbarian kingdom, check (Santa Barbera? I forget. America anyway.).

Causes chaos and destruction over a wide area, check [crash.tif].

Sultry female companion who keeps him in line, check (all I see is a hamster avatary thing, but for the sake of argument).

Small furry peeping companion, check.

poo poo man, I haven't seen you since Baldur's Gate II. How's the film career working out?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Z3n, seeing as you're the resident Honda and CBR600 expert, what would you do to an F2's suspension for road and track work? Any idea if you can do brake swaps without dropping in a complete front end?

Thinking of selling my Hornet and picking up a barn-find F2 that my local bike shop has given a home. The difference could fund a slightly used 200EXC...or just track days and future speeding fines, I don't know. Barring some rust on the frame from British winters past and sitting in an open-sided barn for the last 5 years (this isn't CA remember), there's nothing actually wrong with it.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I'm not Z3n but I've ridden and tracked F2's so I have some ideas regarding this :). '91-'93 F2s had non-cartridge front forks which were not adjustable and a non-adjustable rear shock. The '94 F2 got cartridge, adjustable forks with an adjustable rear shock (with reservoir). A cheap upgrade for the '91-'93 F2's is obviously swap in some F2 parts.

Another cheap upgrade, even though you mentioned not wanting a front-end, is swapping in an F3 front-end, because then you get semi-floating rotors (which no F2 has). You need the F3 front-end to use the F3 rotors. Tuning-wise, F2's are set up very stable and you don't need anything like a steering damper. Their forks tend to be set up a bit softer than the shock is. There are occasionally Fox racing shocks for the F2 on eBay for ~$100 or so that give you ride height adjust as well as better adjustability and damping.

I had a twin-clicker on my GSX-R WV...whither art thou Fox Shocks!?

So basically a good set of ebay forks from a '94, new oil and springs should take care of the front suspension? I would have an Ohlins to sell from my Hornet, so would probably go with a Nitron sport shock on the back, or maybe hunt down something used with ride-height adjustment.

I've read the back needs to ride higher to get the bike to turn and hit apexes, which sounds about right for an early to mid 90s sportsbike with modern rubber on it. I take it the alternative is to do the usual 90s thing of dropping the forks 10mm through the yokes and seeing what happens? Wow, that'd bring back memories.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Great! Thanks!

Not quite sure whether I will commit to it, but I figure with a set of Chinese plastics on it, it will never be worth less than it is now, no matter how much I crash it or how many winters I ride it through. I can then pick up a 200EXC or a GasGas EC/CC.

I suspect the shop will let me take it home for 24 hours and see how it does on my commute (because they're cool like that). That will be the acid test, I imagine.

Z3n posted:

Fuzzy has addressed most of it, but in my mind the most important thing with these bikes is to remember what you have. If you're gonna use it as an all arounder, get it sprung for your weight and go have some fun. The cartridge forks on these are perfectly fine for normal use, and a good shock should give you a nice, stable, sweet handling street/track ride. It'll never be a modern supersport but that doesn't mean you can't have a lot of fun on it. Any money that you'd spend on anything beside suspension should instead be spent on trackdays or tires. Given that you commute in poo poo conditions, I'd probably try and find a second set of rims for track rubber.

And yeah, Fox shocks are the poo poo for these older bikes.

I'd ride it as is, stock, first, before dicking with the geometry. I've always preferred stability in my bikes, though, I can push harder on the bars to make it turn faster but I can't make the geometry more stable with force. :v:

A little bit goes a long ways on fork height, too. The difference between good and bad on my SV was about 5mm.

Edit: Ordered clutch cable, clutch, replacement gaskets, and some other odds and ends for the CBR. I'm midway through parting out the GSX-R...and my god, GSX-R owners must be the most flakey people on the planet. I've never had it this bad with any other bike. :sigh:

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
The plastics are in mint condition, so I'd put them in the loft, lovingly polished. There will be a CBR600 pervert out there who will pay through the nose for them in a couple of years.

There's usually pre-crashed stuff floating around on ebay which are obviously good candidates for matt black spraypaint. But those Chinese panels are so cheap they're almost worth it if you're keeping the bike a while. Cheaper than race plastics, albeit no catch-pan.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

that's not gonna help my rep as the motorcycle equivalent of Hannibal Lector

For fairness and balance, please post your ecomium to the automatic gearbox. Also Hardleys.

The thing is there's no-one to bait on my commute really. I already wind-up the car drivers by being there, and all the bikes I normally see are going in the other direction. None of them are particularly squidly. There's one guy on a speed triple usually going at stupid speeds in a fairly suave manner and two F800s being ridden politely by dudes in reflective vests.

I think squids are mostly an American thing - we just have the Harley Owner's Group. Insurance is expensive and getting a full licence is also expensive (lessons) and can take months.

Actually, I take that back slightly - we have the enlisted men of Aldershot, who do try to imitate the Americans in the buying sportsbikes and getting arrested stakes. They're unlikely to ride around in a wife-beater or use the word "Jickser" however, which to my mind disqualifies them from the squid stakes.

Anyway, yes, my ideal would be a pre-rashed set of race plastics, several cans of Halfords matt black, a hole cutter and some halogen ceiling lights for that endurance racer look. :)

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

That's a good point on why you guys don't have squids. Have you ever ridden out in the states?

Yes, for many years.

Z3n posted:

Enjoyed the pure, unadulterated freedom of riding without a helmet?

No, I'm not a fucktard, why do you ask? :devil: While I'm here let me tell you what I think of cruisers and viscous couplings...

Z3n posted:

Watched guys on brand new bikes clumsily ride over sidewalks while attempting to perform U-turns?

Watched squids riding an R6 in wife beaters and sandals get caught in a freak New England hailstorm, check...

Z3n posted:

Also I'm still :laffo: at "Jickser". It's "Gixxer". :v:

Yeah, but it's usually pronounced jickser or gix-ur, instead of the correct Gee Ess Exx Arrr, like Suzuki helpfuly printed on the side of the bike. They forgot squids can't read.

Looking closer at this F2 I'm not sure whether to get it or not.

I think it must have been ridden all winter for years and literally never, ever washed until the current owner got it. The plastics are really good and it has a stainless full system, but it will need new forks, as the stanchions are pitted to gently caress. They're really and truly completely shot in the last 1/2 - 1/3 of the travel where they've never seen fork oil. The frame also has rust spots coming through in many places, which is probably just surface rust, but still would mean a job of work to tear down the bike for power-coating. It's low mileage, but the cases and covers are pitted, presumably from exposure to salt and dirt.

This may sound par for the course for a potential rat bike, but for like $600 more I could probably get hold of the relatively spotless (if not concours) '96 F3 below.

OTOH, I could pay what they're asking and get my money back any day of the week by putting it on e-bay for £700. That's about the price for a running bike that's not a 250 4t.

Bear in mind this isn't CA and roads are covered in salt for four months plus, but the F3 still looks like this. (Actually, I wonder if it's a US import, going by the "special" seat.).

Saga fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 1, 2011

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

If you can get an F3 in markedly better condition for $600 more and it's in your budget, I'd probably go for that. It'll save you some money that you'd spent on upgrading the F2 and you get to say that your bike has ram air.

Hmm, but if I bought a GSX-R1100 I could say I had steel S A C S. And if I bought a Thunderace, I could point out my huge A S S.

Decisions, decisions.

Well, I'm going to go check out the F3 Saturday, so we'll see.

FWB, is it definitely the case that the later F2s had cartridge forks? Wikipedia says that was the F3.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

1994 F2's most definitely had cartridge forks, guaranteed or your money back. You can tell the difference because 91-93 had black lower fork legs and 94s were all naked metal, not to mention the adjusters up top.

Cool, I ask because I'm watching a set of 93s on ebay, that's all. They are silver, whereas the F2 I've been looking at has black forks.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

They might be mislabeled.

Here's my stance on it:

If you want something to flog relentlessly, I'd take the F2 home, inspect it carefully, ride around, make sure everything else is in OK shape, check out the surface rust, and sell the fairings to fund the fresh set of forks and some work on the shock. Install the cheapest beateriest plastics you can find, flat black everything (including the frame after sanding it down), and enjoy your rat bike. Bonus if you rhinoline the entire thing.

If you don't want a full on project and just want something to tinker with while you ride, pick up the F3.

That makes sense. I'm going have a look at the F3 (same place also has a nice 918 blade and a gsx-r 750 in the original '96 black and gold) and that will give me an idea of the relative value of the "rat".

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
The F3 was too nice. It actually has hyperpro springs front and rear and was at one time set up on a dyno by PDQ (well known tuners and suppliers of anodised tat/junk/tchotchkes). At the same time the damping on the shock is long-gone and there's no documentation for it after 2003(!). It's not worth the shop's time to do the valve clearances for what they're selling it for, but at the same time it's too pricey to be a real budget bike/rat.

Looks like I'll go for the F2 if I can convince the shop to sort out the valve clearances pre-sale.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

infraboy posted:

The whole Honda F series are just really drat nice all rounders, my F2 is on the uglier side, but it's been an awesome and besides the stupid regulator/rectifier a solid reliable runner, plenty of performance for the 1500$ I bought it for.

After riding my other bikes I forget sometimes how good the F2 is at just about everything: Nice neutral handling, just the right amount of power unlike the newer race replica bikes, and overall comfort, I could pretty much ride it all day.

edit: If it starts and runs ok the valves are probably ok, I think fuzzybear had issues with his valves because it wouldn't start until he found out all 16 valves were tight as gently caress :|

This is basically what the shop said about the F3 - if the valves were out, you'd know about it. (They did have trouble starting it until I pointed out they had the tap set to off!)

The good thing about the F2 is it would be pretty impossible to lose money on it if I decided it wasn't for me. Just stick it on e-bay and collect the purchase price 7 days later.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

How about three days straight? The F2 really is decent at touring.

My bike's the black one. That picture was taken in Key West. I live in Connecticut. Was pretty comfortable.

Did you take the main stand off yours?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

It was removed by a PO because it was used as a trackbike. You can also see a black aftermarket clutch cover in that picture that was installed by him. I didn't even know F2s had center stands and had to look it up.

Ah, good. I was just wondering if it was a cornering hazard really. The F3's stand seemed scarily low, not helped by the collapsed shock.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Ahhhhhhhh gently caress the F2 was so good the shop's mechanic bought it for himself. Dammit.

Worse luck, having reminded myself what the seating position on 918 blades and GSX-Rs is like, I definitely can't think of anything in the right price bracket that's likely to suit my riding better than a CBR 6 or a ZX6R-G.

I might end up going for a cheap-ish F3 after all. Unfortunately they're all going to cost me more than the price of a set of used F2.5/F3 forks!

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

Fuuuuckkkk honda. Seriously. gently caress their clutch design. WHY THE gently caress WOULD YOU DESIGN IT THAT WAY. :argh:

Also they have the worst factory repair manuals ever. gently caress those guys.

Was in my local shop the other day and they were swearing at an 893 blade. Frame crossmember conveniently located over plug holes. It appeared to have weird rubber flaps over the valve cover (inside the frame) just to make the job harder.

Found what looks like a very clean '94 F2 with perfect plastics in the black with multi-coloured stripes livery. Going to check it out Saturday if it doesn't get sold in the mean time.

e: or rather the black and purple:

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Post it to me in small pieces. :D

I've agreed a price on the black/purple '94 F2 pictured a few posts previously. It's not running perfectly (just slightly woolly at the bottom end - I suspect it's just the pilot circuit needs cleaning out as it performs fine under load) but is very shiny and hasn't been thrown down the road, unlike just about every other bike I've looked at in this price range. I got a good discount, so if I hate it I can sell it on without any trouble. The shock appears to still be holding itself up, which is better than the more expensive F3 I was looking at.

Once I have a deposit on it, it will be time to hunt up some pre-crashed plastic, a dented tank and of course the Hello Kitty stencil and matt black rattle can. Only thing that needs changing is the el cheapo Maxxis supermaxxxxxxx on the front (BT010 on the back should be fine). I have a used Pilot Power in the garage that should fit. I'm going to pull the Ohlins off my Hornet before sale and that should hopefully fund a shiny new Nitron "sport shock" (no remote reservoir, but I bet it will still beat the original shock) of bling +2. Of course if anyone has a Fox Twin Clicker for sale, I may buy one out of nostalgia.

Some buddies of mine have been looking for a track bike, so hopefully I can spur them into picking up something similar and we'll get out to the track in a month or so for some beater racing (ride report to follow).

Z3n, I've read a couple random forum posts about putting a floating disc kit on the F2. Does that solve the warping or do you need the F3 calipers in practice? As a former 90s Yamaha owner I know all about warping discs every few months and don't really want to experience it again. That poo poo is expensive.

Also Z3n and FWB, any suggestions for good street rubber - I'm a Metzeler/Pirelli or Dunlop sort of guy.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I liked the Pilot Powers for trackdays/street use, but I don't know what you would want for actual racing if you want to get into that. Probably takeoffs :). Also, at least where I live, F2s can run in some of the same classes as twin bikes because of their linear power curve and similar horsepower.

No, just trackdays and commuting. The Powers worked well on the Hornet and I have a spare part-worn front from it that I could put on. Not sure I trust a Maxxis tyre for the front!

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

I loved the Metzler Z6es for all weather, street rubber. Pirelli Diablo Corsa 3s were favored for hot weather/crossover track riding. I took my 929 to the track on the Corsa 3s and it handled great, and I got like 6k+ out of the rear. They like to run high pressures, fair warning.

Yeah, I used a supercorsa on the back of my 954 - I had a standard diablo on it down at NCMP (is that right?) on like a 110 degree day and it straight up melted and was sliding everywhere.

But that's overkill for an 85hp 600 I think. Will try to find the Z6, but people tend to want the newest and shiniest stuff over here, so I suspect I'll find that it's actually cheaper to put Angel STs or Roadtec Z8s on it.

Z3n posted:

Depending on how worn the stock calipers are, I'd probably make sure all the buttons are clean (if they're "semi floating"), and run them with good pads and good fluid first, if they warp, then go looking for a kit. At moderate trackpace, you probably don't have much to be concerned about.

Yup, I'll clean up the pistons and have a peer at the fluid. They're just fixed rotors IIRC - that would be why normal replacements are like $50 inc. VAT. Which adds up quickly if they warp every month, plus then you end up with "Vibration White Finger".

What I was thinking of was EBC's 310mm upgrade (semi?) floating replacements, which are the more standard $150 plus per rotor. Not sure how that works as it looks like the F2 had 298 discs. Maybe you get an adaptor plate in the box with each rotor. Key question is do they come with the maximum sexy red hats and blue carriers like my TRX's EBC race discs.

Z3n posted:

You know what's causing a marital tension? THE LACK OF HIS AND HERS KTMS.

We all know what the real story is. No duck carrier in the KTM Power Parts catalogue.

If you'd bought a Sportster, you could be rocking a leather duck carrier with extra tassels, Harley Davidson Tarmac Testosterone (TM)(R) deoderant and some Sturgis-appropriate beachwear for Bunway Airlines. But no! You shunned American industry's finest untreated mild steel and the remaindered stock of the Pontiac company's interior trim department for devilish foreign metal.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
You don't happen to have or know anyone with an extremely American end can or full system for an F2/F3 do you Z3n?

I think my F2 is going to need something "period". Someone's selling a Sudco full system on ebay and it looks hilarious. What did DuCamel's bikes use? Yosh USA?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

needknees posted:

Tell me Desmo is somehow going to be involved in the reception ... it has to happen!

:ohdear:

:stare:

:ohdear::ohdear::ohdear::ohdear::ohdear::ohdear::ohdear:

Nooooooooooooooooooooo god why??!! :cry:

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

^^^^ I really think it doesn't matter at this point. This is what happens when I don't have a motorcycle to hold the coherence of the thread together anymore. On the bright side, it has made this monday wonderful.

If this is wrong I never want to be right.

Ok then, back to bikes, give me your second opinions: could riding my F2 around with a hole right at the top of the downpipe on #3 (where it bends into the head) do it any harm? Or will it just run poorly and make that terrible clicking noise wherever I go?

I'm guessing on a 4t and on the exhaust side an air leak is more a PITA than anything else.

Waiting on some replacement bolts to get the new downpipes on, because the current ones are properly, properly hosed. But I've just spent a day taking all the fancy poo poo off my Hornet and cleaning it up ready for sale, so I really want to park it in the garage and leave it there.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Well, at the risk of famous last words, managed to get the old headers off my F2. #3 downpipe was completely sheared through. The end of it was just sitting in the head when the rest of the system came off. Funny poo poo. But Honda quality - the nuts came right off using a 3/8 ratchet after just 15 minutes soaking in penetrating fluid. No heat, impact drivers or breaker bar required.

Getting the end can off the manifold however, that took a rubber mallet and a lot of swearing.

Now for an ear-bleedingly loud carbon can. :rock:

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Notice the extremely - dare I say curiously - generous padding on those pillion seats? Perfect if your rear end is tender for any reason

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
My friendly neighbourhood bike shop has just been rebuilding a grenaded 690SM. The bearing that carries the right side of the cam (i.e. the one that's not carrying the cam sprocket) spun and blew shrapnel everywhere. Complete engine strip down and rebuild, although they advised the customer to just buy a new motor. Watch out for that bearing...

e:

Thissaone:

Apparently it's a roller bearing or something like that not just a plain/plane bearing or a carrier or whatever. And apparently this is slightly unusual precisely because of the risk of poo poo going nuclear just as happened with the bike I'm talking about, not that I know poo poo about the whys and wherefores of building engines.

ee: note also handy oilways for swarf to jump down when the bearing fails.

Saga fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 29, 2011

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

infraboy posted:

As a general rule I thought roller bearings were top notch and fail incredibly rarely? Of course i'm thinking of the first Suzuki GS engines which has roller bearing bottom ends.

All I can tell you is I looked at the remains and it wasn't pretty. The outer race welded itself to the seat and the rest of the bearing exploded everywhere. I think the owner is gambling that there isn't any swarf lurking anywhere, because the cheapest running replacement was something like £1300.

:hitler: Herr Oberst, ve must stop buying zese e-bay bearings!

:monocle: But zey are zo economical, unt mid free shipping und freegift from seller geeleenumbervunspecialbearing! Zis is a critical part of our just in time productionsystem - look, "ships within 1 business day". Ve haff bought all ze LC4 640 bearings zis vay.

:hitler: Ja, about zat...

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Well, you could be right. The owner bought it very cheap on e-bay (although the SMs always go for cheaper) when we surmise it probably had a bit of a clatter, which was ignored, and then that turned into a BANG BANG BANG.

Could well be that the PO ran it out of oil, realised his or her mistake, quickly refilled the thing and put it on ebay.

Just something to watch out for the next time you do the clearances was really the point. AFAIK KTM declined to do anything to help out the owner.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Duck update???

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Take the pool table off of Bunway Airlines. I think this forum has seen enough domestic violence, thank you very much.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

Nice bro palace. I think you have all the necessary ingredients, minus the naked lady posters (not permitted by order of the management).

e: bro-doir.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Lowenbro

I saw the beer memorabilia but completely missed the foaming stein. That really completes the picture.

To make it worse, I'm stuck at the office instead of living it up playing Skyrim. :arghfist:

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Congratulations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Jabs posted:

Skyrim is pretty evil awesome. I picked it up the Saturday Friday it came out because I was sick on vacation for Veteran's Day and wanted to lay around playing video games I saw Monster w/21 Faces was playing it on Steam Friday Morning. Seriously. gently caress that guy. I now have three two characters and didn't sleep much at all last week. That being said it is a great game world simulator other than some bugs.

This is now the official Skyrim thread for Cycle Asylum. Please no posting about bikes for the next month.

Only issue I have with it is that it would better if they completed the job of getting rid of all the Elder Scrolls sandboxiness (generic objects, NPCs etc) and did more of the awesome storytelling. But that's just me.

Jabs posted:

Creepy presents are the best presents.

Z3n, one bend-over-boyfriend starter kit (slightly used) is on its way to you. I hope it will bring you many years of joy!

• Locked thread