Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Elviscat posted:

That's not even a hundred miles a year.

I have more miles on my year-old dirt bike :psyduck:

A new Yamaha isn't fully broken in til 1000 miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Which is why my Yamaha has over 40,000 miles.

My Husqvarna is thoroughly broken at 1000 miles.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I MEANT BROKEN IN

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

HOW DO I ERASEMPOSTS ?!?!?

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

lol husqvarnas

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Elviscat posted:

My Husqvarna is thoroughly broken at 1000 miles.

:hmmyes:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GriszledMelkaba posted:

lol husqvarnas

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Less than $3k for a 72 Sportster.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Listed 2 years ago

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
That's an AMF era Harley, and it's a Sportster to boot. Why would it be worth more than what they're asking

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Binned SXV550 in LA for $100.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
poo poo, I bet that went fast. That's worth well more than $100 in parts.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m betting it was fake. Nearly every part of that bike is worth something more than $100 outside of maybe the crispy old tires

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Still up a week later.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So yeah fake. Or real and for sure gone

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Anything "listed on behalf of dealership" on Facebook is a scam. Click on the person's name and you will see Grandma or Grandpa that hasn't logged in since 2015, and had a stupid easy password for a bot to hack. Facebook itself is not interested in dealing with those, and so they remain and clutter the classifieds

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/d/grass-valley-81-suzuki-katana-1166-with/7209343611.html

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Messaged the SXV guy out of curiosity, still has it, wouldn't answer my title question and looking for 2k OBO. No wonder :rolleyes:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
THEN WHY IS THE PRICE $100 YOU FUCKSTICK

Facebook marketplace is even worse than craigslist. I don't know if it's the program editing out numbers it thinks is the price or what, by there's so many bikes listed as 'honda XR' with no indication anywhere what the displacement is.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slim Pickens posted:

THEN WHY IS THE PRICE $100 YOU FUCKSTICK

Facebook marketplace is even worse than craigslist. I don't know if it's the program editing out numbers it thinks is the price or what, by there's so many bikes listed as 'honda XR' with no indication anywhere what the displacement is.

There is an-ever-so-slightly higher barrier to posting a CL ad that existed even before they started charging $5 - you had to sit down, go to a website, upload pictures, etc. Every mouth breather and their uncle has a Facebook app right on their loving phone.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I listed my bike on Craigslist a few months ago, and they now charge you $5 so that requirement has probably has helped a lot too. ^ e: you literally had just posted that about the $5 thing above me but I skim read right past it, I'm dumb

Facebook also gives zero shits about fake listings it would seem, I found this pristine old Ninja with pictures that had been straight up stolen from a pretty easy to find place and I reported it, it was still up weeks later last I checked. Facebook is the worst all around.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FB marketplace rules because it combines the ads with messaging and greatly speeds up the process (we all remember sitting around waiting a week for some boomer who goes online once a week to reply on FB)

But it also sucks because of the aforementioned idiots that litter facebook

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

When FBmarket works, it works at the speed of texting. When it fails, it's just an obvious scam or fake listing in the first reply.

When craigslist works, it works at the speed of email. When it fails, it fails like a jumanji dice roll.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

The search function is so terrible and broken. Different results (algorithms), search filters that either don't work or are not consistent, the sort actually will completely change the results, it goes on and on.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m sort of forced on to FB Marketplace regardless. My local CL, in the motorcycle section at least, has really died out since FB marketplace came along.

Maybe other areas have a strong CL presence still but MKE sure doesn’t

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m sort of forced on to FB Marketplace regardless. My local CL, in the motorcycle section at least, has really died out since FB marketplace came along.

Maybe other areas have a strong CL presence still but MKE sure doesn’t

The Bay Area is still okay-ish but I have heard that's basically the exception and only really because it's obviously pretty ingrained here. It's definitely not the same as it used to be though.

Concur that FB marketplace is such a disaster in actually trying to find anything specific.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yeah the Chicago/Milwaukee area is pretty dead on CL. It sucks because CL is easier to search and I hate using Facebook for anything.

Also FB on a mobile browser (I deleted the app) doesn't allow you to save listings. I wish they had a marketplace app like they have a messenger app, but that is low on my list of things that I wish about Facebook.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
CL for bikes in the midwest has thinned out considerably. You used to get 5-8 pages of results depending on the season, and now there's barely 2. I refuse to use Facebook of any sort, so I'm left with eBay and CycleTrader - no bueno.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I go where the bikes are. I made a literal living off of buying and selling bikes on Craigslist when it first came out so I get what you’re saying.

But the world seems to have moved on and if you want the deals you have to deal with FB bullshit. For me personally, reaching out to people over FB Messenger and the rapid communication that it enables more than makes up for the downfalls of their garbage search.

Hell if it wasn’t for FB Marketplace I wouldn’t have the Goldwing or the Elite 250 I trade for it.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

captainOrbital posted:

Yeah the Chicago/Milwaukee area is pretty dead on CL. It sucks because CL is easier to search and I hate using Facebook for anything.

Also FB on a mobile browser (I deleted the app) doesn't allow you to save listings. I wish they had a marketplace app like they have a messenger app, but that is low on my list of things that I wish about Facebook.

I swear FB deprecates the browser experience to push users toward their app. When I posted a bike on FB market I couldn't edit the price after posting, and it was generally a buggy experience.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Certain FB things require you to switch your phone's browser to desktop mode because they 100% deprecate features existing in the website to force you to use the app. Don't install the app.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I noticed only promoted ads were surfacing and everything else was buried. I considered promoting my bike but I bailed when FB required I take ethics training first.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Gullous posted:

FB required I take ethics training first

that's :gary: af

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Is this a new trend? I'm assuming what happened here is this random high school's page was hacked and used to post an obviously fake ad, but then the scammers paid to make it a sponsored post.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

Is this a new trend? I'm assuming what happened here is this random high school's page was hacked and used to post an obviously fake ad, but then the scammers paid to make it a sponsored post.

It's been a trend since Facebook marketplace opened. There is a whole lot of inactive accounts with garbage passwords. Russian and Chinese troll farms are taking over those to spread political propaganda as well.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Someone in or near WI go rescue this thing for $375. I would but my garage literally can’t fit another Goldwing. Sounds like they just want to be rid of it, you could probably get it for $300 if you bring cash

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/683416518962025/

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 29, 2020

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
If that was near me I might even be an oldwing owner. Screaming deal, and I like the color.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ah that's only a 11.5 hours drive from my house in Canada, during a pandemic,

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Do what this hero did but tow your car home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mewse posted:

Ah that's only a 11.5 hours drive from my house in Canada, during a pandemic,

Fly out here, tell them you’ll give them $500 if you can use a mechanics bay until you get it running, then ride it home.

Seems simple to me lol