Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Jeez I see so many hawks for 3K+ these days, and I want to take advantage. Then I realize there is no bike for 3k+ that could make me happier than the hawk and I want to keep it forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Coydog posted:

Jeez I see so many hawks for 3K+ these days, and I want to take advantage. Then I realize there is no bike for 3k+ that could make me happier than the hawk and I want to keep it forever.

Honestly this one is worth about $3k, it's a few scrapes and a rear shock away from being perfect. The frame and swingarm are perfect and here are no rashes on the cases, the whole thing is hospital clean:

My pic, just before I sold it. I'm not that good at many things but I can clean up and polish metal things with the best of them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jealousy is threatening to consume me rn, they're so rare now even though they used to be everywhere, deeply regret not getting one when I had the chance.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
That looks great. What do you use to clean/polish?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

builds character posted:

That looks great. What do you use to clean/polish?

Nothing really set in stone but I follow the principle of using the least aggressive chemical/applicator/technique to get the job done and only get more aggressive if needed. My first step when I get any dirty old bike is to hose it down in a wash of undiluted simple green. I let that sit for a few minutes, if it's bad I might do it again. Then I start going at the aluminum and steel bits with a bunch of plastic brushes. Avoid painted surfaces. I start with a big brush that is basically a tire brush, it has long strands that can get in the creases and can cover a lot of area. This first scrubbing is enough to get the light dirt and grease off that hasn't had ages to stick. What you're left with is brake dust and years of caked on grease fling. The best thing I have found to remove that stuff is kerosene. Put some in a cup or jar and use a plastic brush and elbow grease and it will come off. Then rinse with soap and water. Depending on how far you want to go, you can make things look perfect. Never use steel brushes unless absolutely necessary it will scrape any paint or clear off aluminum. You can use brass but plastic works better for this. Mostly though, the whole process is just a combination of elbow grease, irrational determination, and a love of shiny metal.

Once things are clean you can use any type of aluminum polish to really make things pop but I generally do not. I also don't put waxes on unpainted surfaces. Once things are clean, it's extremely easy to keep them clean. Since you don't have to scrub off old grit it's a 5 minute wash with soap and water to make it spotless again.

I went to the extreme on the Hawk above:

Slavvy posted:

Jealousy is threatening to consume me rn, they're so rare now even though they used to be everywhere, deeply regret not getting one when I had the chance.

I sold this one two years ago for (I think $2600) which was a decent price. There weren't exactly people beating down my door to get it. If I could buy it back at that price I would. It's by far the nicest Hawk I've ridden with all that was rebuilt on it the thing felt brand new.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Gorson posted:

I sold this one two years ago for (I think $2600) which was a decent price.

As opposed to this travesty that has been listed for months, and dude has actually RAISED his price since he initially listed it. There was another Hawk listed for around $3500 that was in showroom condition that took a while to sell, and this guy wants most of $5k for :barf:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Jazzzzz posted:

As opposed to this travesty that has been listed for months, and dude has actually RAISED his price since he initially listed it. There was another Hawk listed for around $3500 that was in showroom condition that took a while to sell, and this guy wants most of $5k for :barf:

PRICE GOING UP DAILY!! But for real

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thanks for the tips, Gorson. I don't have the space to store the bike where getting it sparkling is worth it, but I'll see how far I get with simple green. My hawk is filthy and I'm ashamed.

The worst part of this is the headlight.

edit: No wait I've found many worse things in a quick look at the listing. At what point do you just buy an SV650 if you want it to look like that?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jazzzzz posted:

Gross. The monster seat is a pretty common mod I hate it. Only tank that should go on a Hawk is a Hawk tank, the frame is way too narrow. Other than that this is mostly stock with TBR headers (meh) and a delkevic can. I had this same can on a Hawk and didn't care for the sound. Forks are ok I guess. Wheels are stock boat anchors. This is a $2k bike. I bet it rides pretty great, I just don't care for the mods.

*e rear shock is worth about $600 in good shape that's the value here, IF the asking price is $2000.

Gorson fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 24, 2021

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Probably a dumb question, but are these as good as everyone says? I test drove a Wee-Strom once and it kinda felt like a turd. Don't know if they are tuned differently, or are different motors altogether.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They’re the same motor.

It’s still a 650 v-twin so if you’re expecting huge power it’s not gonna deliver.

Although I’d argue that at least half of the appeal of the SV is its fantastic chassis, which you don’t get on the vstrom

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's a really good price on a black framed SV. I've ridden a 650 strom and while it's the same motor, it didn't feel as powerful and nimble as my old sv. Granted, the sv was my first bike and felt like a rocket. They are mid 70s HP, so they are kinda a rocket. But it's a vtwin so power delivery is different. Not sure what you are used to.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
NM4 mention in other thread sent me price checking and I found... this?

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2016-Honda-NM4-5015616480

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I sigh and draw my katana.

It's rear tyre time.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

That's a really good price on a black framed SV. I've ridden a 650 strom and while it's the same motor, it didn't feel as powerful and nimble as my old sv. Granted, the sv was my first bike and felt like a rocket. They are mid 70s HP, so they are kinda a rocket. But it's a vtwin so power delivery is different. Not sure what you are used to.

iirc the 650 in the Strom is detuned a tad from its SV installation.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I can imagine that a V-strom could feel a bit sluggish and flat if it's a detuned engine with a bigger bike to push. I've heard from more people that it's a detuned SV block.

In an SV, however, the engine feels very lively. Plenty of power, smooth enough delivery, and totally happy pulling away from 2500 revs onwards. I prefer it over the Ducati Monster engine of slightly larger size.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Well at the time I was riding my first bike, which was an '84 CB650. So yea, it would have felt just a bit different. I'm willing to accept it would feel a lot different on the Strom.

The only thing that has me waffling so much on my next bike is how important things like ABS are. I never owned anything with it.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 1, 2021

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Slavvy can correct me if I'm wrong here, but the most important thing is TCS. You don't need ABS, but you really need TCS to keep you from spinning out and crashing during a surprise low traction event. Something like a patch of sand on a corner, with an entry speed of 100+, is the right thing to use TCS for.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Coydog posted:

Slavvy can correct me if I'm wrong here, but the most important thing is TCS. You don't need ABS, but you really need TCS to keep you from spinning out and crashing during a surprise low traction event. Something like a patch of sand on a corner, with an entry speed of 100+, is the right thing to use TCS for.

Well in that case, I'm hosed because TCS is not nearly as common as ABS from what I've seen.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh I said that specifically to anger Slavvy. ABS is fine, and a requirement on my next bike as well.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Coydog posted:

Oh I said that specifically to anger Slavvy. ABS is fine, and a requirement on my next bike as well.

:thejoke:

Godamnit

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Buy that SV and spend the savings (relative to ABS) on better gear and tires.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
If you have ABS you can get away with race pulloffs from your buddies. Or just used tires on fb marketplace. Really, ABS pays for itself in the long run.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Are you trolling or what
I honestly can't tell

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He's trying to troll me at the expense of the dozens of people quietly lurking and taking notes.

Suffice it to say: all of that stuff is bad and wrong and just dumb poo poo morons say, nobody here believes it. Get the best tyres and gear you can afford, get abs if you can afford it, never forget the best safety device and performance enhancer is the gooey poo poo between your ears so try to focus on upgrading the poo poo out of that.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Uh no the new rider thread is the only one you should take notes on. The rest of em you just grip it and ride the bzzzzzt to savings.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Uh no the new rider thread is the only one you should take notes on. The rest of em you just grip it and ride the bzzzzzt to savings.

That's fair.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Coydog posted:

NM4 mention in other thread sent me price checking and I found... this?

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2016-Honda-NM4-5015616480

I can see preserving a classic car's patina but an intentional rust paint job.. on a futuristic body shape? I really don't get it

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

You can do without ABS quite well if you ride in high grip conditions. You can brake very hard on dry warm pavement without locking up the wheels.
However, if your roads just aren't as grippy, are wet, or often have a dusting of sand and grit, ABS is very useful.

I'm very much split between buying a newish bike with ABS and euro 4/5 compliancy, or buying the old stuff while i can still ride it and negligibly pollute cities that have low emissions zones but are not yet banning bikes...

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

LimaBiker posted:

You can do without ABS quite well if you ride in high grip conditions. You can brake very hard on dry warm pavement without locking up the wheels.
However, if your roads just aren't as grippy, are wet, or often have a dusting of sand and grit, ABS is very useful.

I'm very much split between buying a newish bike with ABS and euro 4/5 compliancy, or buying the old stuff while i can still ride it and negligibly pollute cities that have low emissions zones but are not yet banning bikes...

Yea, I mean I know I can ride without it, because I've never had it before, but eeeeeh. That plus the lack of PO fuckery on a new bike has me leaning towards that I think.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

LimaBiker posted:

Buy both.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/d/chicago-2014-suzuki-sfv650/7285039627.html

Hmmm... that seems like a decent price.

captainOrbital fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 2, 2021

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

It is, but someone is too ashamed to use the word "Gladius".

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Their shame is going to be someone's financial good fortune.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

captainOrbital posted:

Their shame is going to be someone's financial good fortune.

Yup. Then again for around $6k you can get one whose heritage is not tainted by terrible marketing:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3614492081930617/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do it. Buy the gladius

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
This is what I like about the Gladius. Someone else was selling a traditional SV650 for the SAME PRICE on CL except that it was 10 years older and had twice the miles.

poo poo, I'll take the Gladius all day. I mean I'm not going to bc I want a sumo right now, but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh snap that's a tank *fairing*?! So just a plastic piece you can replace whenever instead of a whole tank? Great stuff. I want to hate the gladius but I think a tail tidy, rearsets, and round headlight, would be all you need to make it a solid looking bike. Not one for the record books, but you know.