Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

I always wonder what the story is behind these things. Someone blew up their DRZ, had too much free time on their hands, and thought, hey, I have this old lawnmower...

Edit:
A picture of your Harley Davidsoson would be nice

syzygy86 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

syzygy86 posted:

I always wonder what the story is behind these things. Someone blew up their DRZ, had too much free time on their hands, and thought, hey, I have this old lawnmower...

To be fair I paid $400 for the fucker.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

syzygy86 posted:

Edit:
A picture of your Harley Davidsoson would be nice

:laugh:

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:

cursedshitbox posted:

To be fair I paid $400 for the fucker.

So out of curiosity what would cause an engine to fail like this?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
having left over parts when installing a big bore kit. (the gudgeon pin clip) I reused gear 4,5, some of the primary drive parts the bare head, and that was about it.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

…Oh but this is the BIKE thread?? Let me finish.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

cursedshitbox posted:

having left over parts when installing a big bore kit. (the gudgeon pin clip) I reused gear 4,5, some of the primary drive parts the bare head, and that was about it.

They always throw some extra fasteners and clips in the bag, it's natural to have a handful left over!

Revvik posted:

…Oh but this is the BIKE thread?? Let me finish.

This poor AW11, please do not ruin AW11's! :negative:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gorson posted:

Those poor ZX10R's, please do not ruin ZX10R's! :negative:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

TWO ZX-10Rs had to die for that abomination?? :gonk:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Two zx10s AND an AW11

It's a fuckin transporter malfunction of a vehicle

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I guess it'd be interesting in a Suzuki Pikes Peak Escudo kind of way, if it worked. Imagine if it had two separate throttles instead of a steering wheel, and you had to drive it like a tank.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slide Hammer posted:

I guess it'd be interesting in a Suzuki Pikes Peak Escudo kind of way, if it worked. Imagine if it had two separate throttles instead of a steering wheel, and you had to drive it like a tank.

This is the only way I can visualize it going around corners, perhaps with some kind of throttle differential system, and I like to think that's what "needs gear reduction" means.

E: Hey daddy putin's gone, thanks mysterious benefactor!! That poo poo was like an adulteress mark on my forehead or some poo poo

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

quote:

Hello my name is CB 750 Honda K0 and I was born in 1970. Since bikes usually out live their owners I want it Ryder4 to know where I came from and where I have been. Assembled in Wako, Saitama, Japan and given the VIN number CB7501034704, I was sold to Ryder1.

Ryder1 one was a young Japanese boy who bought me in Sasebo, Japan but his feet barely touched the ground. After only a few months He sold me.

Ryder2, was a young American sailor and was sent back to the United States after only three months.

Ryder3, my present Ryder bought me in December of 1971 for ¥270,000 or $750. Remember when it was 360 yen to 1 dollar? His ship, the Ajax was tied to a pier in Sasebo Japan where I spent most of my nights. We travel to Nagasaki and saw Tokyo Rose’s tower and toured the island of Kyushu. When Ryder3 went to Vietnam I spent months on the pier parked on the dock.

Ryder3’s ship was going to San Diego for the first time in about 15 years and I hitched a ride in the hole with hundreds of other bikes. We were all imports not to be exported but they let us in the US anyways. I still have my original speedometer in kilometer per mile.

We stopped in Hawaii for a few days. I could not believe Americans drive on the right hand side. Within the first few weeks of being in the United States Ryder3 thought he could impress a two young ladies and revved me up. When the light turned green the cars started to go and then stopped suddenly. By that time my clutch was out and I rear ended the car in front of me. Ryder3 went over the handlebars and landed on the car’s trunk. A tow truck took me to a motorcycle repair shop where I got an American front fender. The Japanese version had a place for a license plate. Ryder3 learned his lesson and never looked at a woman on the side of the road again.

Spent the next six months parked at an apartment complex in San Diego. During this time we explore the southern California coast and went to Tijuana to watch the bullfights.

In 1972 Ryder3 was discharged from the Navy. He bought a van and his best friend from Massachusetts flew out to do a road trip. Sometimes I road in the back of the van, sometimes Ryder3 rode me, like into Las Vegas or into the Grand Canyon. In Nevada rider decided to open me up at and 120 mph I was not redlined but rider was and backed off. Drove into Canada and saw Niagara Falls. Stopped at Watkins Glen for a car race and finally made it to Massachusetts.

That summer made it to Hampton Beach NH so I can now say I’ve been from Mexico to Canada and from Pacific coast to the Atlantic.

At Ryder3’s parent’s house I was parked right outside of the bedroom window. One winter Ryder3 was hospitalized and I was left parked under the house’s roof overhang. I was totally encased in ice from the dripping water from the roof turning to ice. The spring sprang and Ryder3 zapped me with 12 volts and I started right up.

From 1972 -1976, I took Ryder3 to college almost every day. My thrill was catching air on the road leading to the school. Ryder3’s thrill was parking next to whatever building he had a classroom.

In 1977 I moved to New Hampshire and sat out the blizzard of 77 in a parking lot under a tarp at a housing complex.

In 1978 I almost went to the junkyard. We were following two cars. Since Ryder3 thought he was the fastest thing around he decided to cross the double yellow line and pass. As soon as he pulled out I saw the biggest possible thing on the road coming at us. What do you think it could be? It was an 18 wheeler hauling a house, not a mobile home an actual house. I could see the headlines now biker run over by house.

In 1980 Ryder bought a house and I had my own shed except I shared it with a lawnmower. During this time we took trips to Martha’s Vineyard, Boston, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Connecticut.

In 1994 while driving down the back roads a tree trunk fell about 5 foot in front of me. When I rolled over the branch it punctured my number 2 pipe. If it fell if it fell a second later It would have put a hole in Ryder3.

1995 I got sick and had low compression in my #3 cylinder and I sat in a shed for the next five years.

In 2000 an 18 wheeler took me to Colorado. Where I sat under a tarp for two years. Ryder3 went to three motorcycle shops looking for someone to rebuild me. One shop said the bike is older than any of my mechanics. Finally found a guy who worked on old Hondas and I was rebuilt. Also a new #2 pipe, new tires, had all my aluminum buffed out and left the shop with 63,000 km (39,000 miles)on my speedometer. When I got home I had a great spot parked in his garage. Colorado weather is great and I was driven almost every day until Ryder3 retired in 2014 and I had 80,000 (49,000 miles) on my speedometer.
The next few years Ryder3 and I only did errands to the store. Then he only rode me once a year till 2019 then stopped. (Like Jacky Paper he came no more)
I am looking for Ryder4.

Hello I am Ken, or Ryder3, and it’s time to pass the bike on. It’s drivable but in rough shape.

It has been in a storage shed in Thornton with no gas or oil and the battery disconnected since April 2021. It was running fine before I put it there. I have a clear title from Colorado and it still registered till June.

I am in Massachusetts and won’t be in Colorado till the end of April to show it.

Unsure what it is really worth but would like to take a few bids and sell it when I get back. I’ll only be there for a few days to show it.

Glad to answer any questions.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:chloe:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Absolutely not.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

E: Hey daddy putin's gone, thanks mysterious benefactor!! That poo poo was like an adulteress mark on my forehead or some poo poo

If you get hit with an av you don't like and don't feel like buying a new one a mod can blank it for you if you ask. Unless they think it would be funny to leave it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah I got one of mine replaced when some loser bought me a distasteful redtext after I called him out for using the c-word. But beware because the mods may replace it with something more tasteful but still embarrassing

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

WE WOULD NEVER!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

WE WOULD NEVER!

The unambiguously positive nature of my new one is what makes me certain it wasn't you

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Slavvy posted:

The unambiguously positive nature of my new one is what makes me certain it wasn't you

lmao

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
The retro future

quote:

50th Anniversary Goldwing Special Edition including Hannigan sidecar with removable hardtop and brake. Extended front fork. Am/FM cassette. CB and 5-point communication system. The photos say it best - this is a one of a kind ride in excellent condition. Has a second 2.5 gal. gas tank for long hauls. Everything in perfect working condition. Runs and rides like a dream. Small cosmetic damage on a dash panel-see photos, otherwise all good!

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/d/winchester-1999-honda-goldwing-sl1500/7468022565.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

nice car

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lmao that's like 45 minutes from my house. I'll stick with the CB300R for at least another season, I think.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
It's like Hannigan purposely designs sidecars to be ugly, bad 80s design that just won't die. They made the molds for that fiberglass and by god they're gonna use 'em

TBF the Venn diagram of old farts that put plastichrome and orange LEDs all over their goldwings and people who'd think those sidecars look cool is a single circle, so they're not missing the mark for their buyer base

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That looks like a rad sidecar attached to the wrong bike. Needs to be hanging off of a k1.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The proper goldwing aesthetic for that sidecar would be converting it to a trailer to pull behind the wing

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Looks like this ended up selling as I was pondering it yesterday and before I finished writing up this post today, but I figured I'd ask the general question anyway in case something like it comes up again:

Help I'm battling an inline-4 itch currently, how bad an idea would an 8 year old ZX-6R with 40k miles on it be? $5,000 USD. It's only been up a couple days and I've been watching it, so unless there are issues with it I'm thinking it will be snatched soonish.

Outside of regular maintenance replaceables, what kind of major stuff starts going on a supersport up around that mileage?

https://offerup.com/item/detail/1384806757

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

See if you can get it for less than 5K, but realistically there shouldnt be much wrong with it mechanically if its been well cared for. The usual stuff, high mileage consumables like brakes, tires, fork seals, final drive, head bearings, but none of that is unexpected.

If you're asking if sportbike motors blow up when they hit 50K, they dont.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Other than googling model specific problems the main issue on a rr(+rr if honda) bike is Previous Owners and service intervals.

In general a rr(rr) Japanese bike is sanely and robustly engineered.

Any service history is good, complete service history is golden.
Has it been used on track days? There is a natural limit of running out of road/ into cops with sustained riding like a dong on public roads. on a track a lovely owner can run a neglected bike hard.
A counter point is that if you attend track days you might care a tinsy tiny bit about your bike and maintenance/performance more than a street donger.

I've seen 15+ owner early 2000 Yamaha R1 bikes with less than 30k miles. The biggest Norwegian sell stuff site can pull that directly from the dmw here( you can also do that manually for free)

Missed Oil change interval and valve check interval is really the only not visible wear things you can't see. You can see old plugs, you can feel clunky gear shifting, you can feel/see tires, chain, sprockets, brake items, wheel bearings, steering bearings.

Learn how to inspect a bike and use that to lower the price. Any item is 200usd down. Because you take all your maintenance to a shop ofc.

All my points here is about Japanese bikes. Their engines don't have exotic random maintenance items that if not done leads to random forced engine disassembly.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

On the topic of older Japanese bikes: When do I need to start worrying about parts availability? I'm planning to go look at that '04 919 this weekend. Can I still expect to get parts like fuel pumps, engine sensors, steering head bearings, etc. OEM from a Honda dealer? How far back does a Big 4 parts catalog typically go?

In my head 2004 wasn't that long ago but that bike is old enough to vote.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
a decade +/- is all that most are obligated to support their product.

Stuff like filters, fork service parts and such they'll probably stock. Especially if its shared with numerous bikes and an engine they produced over several years.
Non stock items bet on week to a few weeks to get. NLA is NLA.
Most of the ancillaries you're quoting is generic as hell and used all over the place.

fuel pumps, generic. bosch, denso, walbro.
engine management sensors, generic lego, used literally everywhere. again, bosch, denso, etc.
steering head bearings, generic tapered roller. skf/nsk/national/etc.

Worry about dumb poo poo like trim, radiators, coolant hoses, fuel pump strainers/filters and stuff like that.

The 636:
Run it hard through the lower gears and wind the engine out. no hickups? starts quickly and idles smooth cold and hot? buy.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Sweet, thanks for all the info! About 10k miles is the longest I've personally had a single bike so far. Sport bikes in general seem to rack up the miles at a lower rate from what I've noticed.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

2018 RC390, 4400 miles, "Currently making payments on it so the price is a pretty firm amount." $6300

I've been browsing used listings for months at this point and KTM 390 owners are by far the worst offenders about listed price. I wonder how many of them actually sell.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The 390 is just a Grom for tall stupid people

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
poo poo i wish i fit on one. fuckin' knees are higher than my elbows.

so that i could drop a cr500 engine into it and lollmao

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/5384147951597810/

Never knew maxi trikes were a thing. Guess I learned something.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

katka posted:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/5384147951597810/

Never knew maxi trikes were a thing. Guess I learned something.

those trike kits are popular with old dudes, big overlap with maxi-scoot buyers

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

FBS posted:

2018 RC390, 4400 miles, "Currently making payments on it so the price is a pretty firm amount." $6300

I've been browsing used listings for months at this point and KTM 390 owners are by far the worst offenders about listed price. I wonder how many of them actually sell.

This math doesn't make sense.... how can this guy be so far behind? Unless he bought a used 390 for above MSRP and wants to get rid of it immediately.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Russian Bear posted:

This math doesn't make sense.... how can this guy be so far behind? Unless he bought a used 390 for above MSRP and wants to get rid of it immediately.

hahahaha

My dude.

People are bad as gently caress with money and get hosed on finance terms. They're 100% underwater on this shitbike.

They're trying to roll the savings off to some sucker for [checks notes] $600 over a 2022 model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

cursedshitbox posted:

hahahaha

My dude.

People are bad as gently caress with money and get hosed on finance terms. They're 100% underwater on this shitbike.

They're trying to roll the savings off to some sucker for [checks notes] $600 over a 2022 model.

Yep and every month he doesn't sell it because the asking price is too high he's flushing the amount of his monthly payments down the toilet, while also likely not even riding the bike. And, since he has a loan on it most lenders require full coverage insurance. He's tied to an anchor and doesn't get that he has to sell it for less than what the dealership would sell a used 390. The dealership can entice people with financing, he cannot. Unless there's a premium on used 390's (not likely) he's hosed. These ads are really common in the motorcycle world.