Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I'm glad it's got a flyscreen, cause it looks like Seth Brundle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Any vehicle with ziptie stitching must, by the law of the road, have all audio media replaced with copies of Edgar Winter's Frankenstein

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
There was interest in CX500s that weren't the turbo version?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Revvik posted:

Two dents in the tank and “just needs carb work to run” :crossarms:

Had to check that tank dent and make sure someone wasn't trying to sell my bike, despite I just saw it yesterday in my parents garage

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The ad is two years old so it might not still be there, but then again, it might; at the local old motorcycle mechanics:

http://www.oldmotorcycleshop.com/advert/1991-gsxr-7-11-in-fantastic-shape/

91 GSXR 7/11 (1100cc motor in a 750's frame), 4200 Canadian

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you painted the top half of the fairing blue, the bottom half beige, and stuck an olive right below the light, it'd be sonic the hedgehog

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh man you gotta, 18k miles? That's it??

also lol at using a champagne bottle to demonstrate the depth of The Well

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

mewse posted:

Ah that's only a 11.5 hours drive from my house in Canada, during a pandemic,

The land borders are "closed" to "non-essential" traffic in both directions, but the airports aren't if you're entering the States. So yeah you'd have to fly down, and ride it back as a returning Canadian and good f'n luck at the border crossing

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

captainOrbital posted:

e: otoh lots of people selling their green-and-purple ZRX 1200s for pretty cheap

do it do it do it do it do it

(judging by the userbase on zrxoa, if you buy one let it sit for a week to allow the virus to die back)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

First of all, I've never seen a green and purple zrx1200. Just the 1100.

Going off the color chart on zrxoa:

1999: ZRX1100, Green, white stripe over purple
2000: ZRX1100, Green, purple stripe over white. Also available in black.
2001: ZRX1200 from now on, Green, white stripe over purple. Also available in black.
2002: Green, tank has purple over white, fairing and tail has white over purple. Yeah I don't know either. Also avail in red.
2003: Green, white over black. Also avail in blue.
2004: Available in red or silver, no green this year.
2005: Green, white over dark blue.

They don't post color charts for the 97-98 1100s or post-05 12s, or the fuel-injected DAEGs. Probably because the Rex wasn't sold in the States then.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Paint it green and try and infiltrate a ZRX meet

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Cheese

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Just gonna hack the penis off of mikeo's david cause I need a cannon for my warhams, it'll look sick glued onto my orc tank!

Like you wouldn't if you could get away with it

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
gently caress you could take out the shock, put a piece of box section tubing in its place, and still get suspension travel

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

That's a really good price on a black framed SV. I've ridden a 650 strom and while it's the same motor, it didn't feel as powerful and nimble as my old sv. Granted, the sv was my first bike and felt like a rocket. They are mid 70s HP, so they are kinda a rocket. But it's a vtwin so power delivery is different. Not sure what you are used to.

iirc the 650 in the Strom is detuned a tad from its SV installation.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Neither, Honda donated them to the College of Western Idaho for a wrenching program but they hardly got touched

https://jalopnik.com/stop-what-youre-doing-and-check-out-these-tantalizing-c-1847121009

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Rofl

There's only a price crash every six years, what could go wrong with a 7 year 19% loan

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

Jesus tapdancing Christ, that's just setting money on fire. How much is this idiot overpaying total?

Honda offered me 1.5% interest when I bought a new bike in 2016, so I financed 2/3 of the purchase price over 24 months. And still felt pretty weird about it

If he finished out his loan payments he'd be into it for nearly twice the price of the bike

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gorson posted:

“It was interesting psychology that we teased out,” Peloton CEO John Foley recalled in an interview last year with Yahoo Finance. “In the very, very early days, we charged $1,200 for the Peloton bike for the first couple of months. And what turned out happening is we heard from customers that the bike must be poorly built if you’re charging $1,200 for it. We charged $2,000 dollars for it, and sales increased, because people said, ‘Oh, it must be a quality bike.’”

Brokebrains

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was gonna dis it on the basis of it being ~150 hp sent through early 90s tires, suspension and brakes, until I considered that I have some idea of how naked bikes get designed and the Rex probably has most of the same poo poo. (I definitely have ZX11 cams, too.)

Least the tires are better now! But I'm kinda curious to see if the same Good PO did anything fun to the shocks, cause I haven't opened those up yet.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah that's my occasional pessimism in action. Not having a ZX11 in front of me to directly compare (or your breadth of experience) I just figured "naked bikes tend to be partsbin specials of sportbikes" and I know the Rex owes a fair amount to the Zephyr and the ZX11, so that's how I got there.

And yeah, mine does have the ZX11 cams. I pulled the cam dimensions for the stockers and the ZX11s when I did my valve shims a couple years ago, and checked them with my grandpa's Mitutoyo calipers. It's also got the suggested Dynojet jet kit for ZX cams and aftermarket exhaust, which I confirmed when I cleaned the carbs. I haven't investigated the timing and I left the ktric module plugged in. Despite having been threatening to do the carb sync for like a year and a half and never getting to it, it still runs like the goddamn business.

I've said before that despite the abuse I've heaped on it since, I really lucked into this bike. I was prepared to buy just a halfway decent Rex but I ended up with one that at least one PO really loved. (That dude died of cancer, apparently.)

E: if there's any issue I have with its power delivery it's my wrist is still calibrated for a weestrom, and there's enough torque on tap right away from this motor, that I forget that like the upper 3/4s of throttle travel exists. I'll be like, am I down on power? and then actually twist my wrist an amount, and you can hear me holler "OHHHH THERE IT IS" about two seconds after I've actually gone past

Phy fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 4, 2021

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Second one of those mechanic school sales I've seen this year, the College of Western Idaho offloaded two of the CX Turbos and two CBXes back in june

https://jalopnik.com/stop-what-youre-doing-and-check-out-these-tantalizing-c-1847121009

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm not gonna buy it but I might go down later this week to ogle

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah there's a crusty old fart on zrxoa* who sells an O-ring kit and float bowl gaskets. Not the float needles tho. My diaphraghms were still pretty supple when I cleaned the carbs a few years ago.

*every bike board has a crusty old fart who knows a lot about bikes, be glad our current one isn't that old and doesn't appear to be an actual rear end in a top hat outside of the crustiness

Phy fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 25, 2022

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Local bike shop is knocking 40% off a couple of 2020 Katanas

I just wish the seat wasnt tiny and the switchgear didn't look so Suzuki partsbin, and also that I had $9000 CAD to spare

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Sweet jesus that screen.

Looks like a pretty nice bike somewhere behind that main sail!

Now... what if you had little screens behind that, that you could slide out like studdingsails when you're running before the wind for extra speedfuel economy

I'm sure I could sell it to some wack rear end fogey with more money than sense

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I see one of those rocket sleds that they used to give test pilots concussions with in the 50s

I think Slavvy's right about the donor bike though, square tube frame, finned cylinders, the side covers look about the same. So not so much a rocket sled as the same thing but fitted with a really big rubber balloon where you let it go and it goes thbbbthtbbthtbthtbthbnthtthththtbbbbb.

Phy fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 15, 2022

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Two zx10s AND an AW11

It's a fuckin transporter malfunction of a vehicle

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

6 times he used the word “fiero”, only once did he get it right

Ponitac

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honda missed out on having other grades of -wing with longitudinal motors

A Bronzewing with a thumper

A Platinumwing with a 6 that looks like an asterisk

An Iridiumwing with the world's tiniest radial

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

yummycheese posted:

Rich children of the north demand gaudiness so you can be rest assured there is day glow yellow and pink body suits to rip around on your sled

I assume gaudiness helps somewhat when you cut the snowpack loose high-marking and get buried

Not as much as an avalanche beacon, of course

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Needs a big motorized pizza launcher and a holster for your numchuks

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I saw the bike and immediately thought of the "The shoes are a bit much" twitter chain, but lol

Phy fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Geekboy posted:

I found this abomination on Reddit and it won’t leave my brain so now you have to see it, too:

That just sounds like a Savage with extra steps