Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Oooh. And more info

Now, how the hell do you get parts to that one?

Supradog fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Pretty nice 1990 Africa twin for a steal of a price(in Norwegian prices atleast).

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Harley-Davidson JE 1000ccm 1927 for about 19k usd.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

1987 Honda NS400R. V3 - 2 stroke. about 72 hp stock.

Would it be wrong of me to buy it and use some of that strawberry scented 2 stroke oil?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Suzuki Dr 800 S Big 1991
I love old beasts like this when they're properly maintained. Though the seller says he's never used it on gravel, then why own a bike like this, they work so well on gravel..

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I wish these would stop showing up here. It's not fair to tease your american forum-mates like that.

I think this one was over in the US in some very limited numbers?

1992 Honda VFR 400 NC30 V4 with straight cut cam gears.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

1996 Caviga 900 E Desmodue

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Still dirt cheap in Norwegian vehicle pricing. A new BMW f800gs starts out at around US$25000, a ktm 690 duke is 22k. 4k usd is about as cheap as you find any running 125cc+ bike.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

The R1200GS starts at $39k without farkles in Norway, does Israel have real high tax per cc?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

KTM army 1987

From what i can find, a 250cc KTM used by the Norwegian army as messenger bike.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

After some more digging around, I find out that spare parts are avaliable, it was called KTM 250 GL KRad and has snow skis as an accessory.

edit: the ski addon in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiuB4gVo0T0

Supradog fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 31, 2014

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

What's this? (<- more images here)

oh.

A 1960 Harley-Davidson Topper, with the seller claiming the frame #A2051 makes it numer 51 produced.

Wikipedia posted:

The Topper had a 165 cc (10.1 cu in) single-cylinder two-stroke engine mounted horizontally between the floorboards. The engine required a premixed gasoline/oil mixture. The starter was of the rope-recoil type similar to lawnmowers or the Lambretta E model. Unlike most scooters with enclosed engines, the Topper's engine did not have a cooling fan. It was expected that the low, horizontally mounted engine would be cooled by air passing under the scooter, but some Toppers developed overheating problems. The engine used a reed valve in its induction system.

The engine powered a continuously variable transmission that included a safety device that did not allow the scooter to move from rest at engine speeds higher than 1800 rpm. Final drive was by an exposed roller chain.

The Topper had 5 inch internal expanding drum brakes on both wheels. The front brake was controlled by a hand lever with a parking brake lock; the rear brake was controlled by a pedal.

The front body, front fender and floorboards of the Topper were made of stamped steel, and the engine cover and body were made of molded fiberglass.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Suzuki GSXR 1986. wow.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

BMW R850C 1999 20k km

A horrible looking bike. and not even a good deal on the price.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

The big summer vacation period is over here in Norway and the local used bike listings are already exploding. I just wish I had some cash to burn without also selling my old bike in a buyers market.. oh well, time to look for the best deals I cant realize.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'm trying to talk myself out of buying this Transalp on ADVRider.

That looks like it's in good condition. Your model shares a lot of parts with my 93 and I can find new wear parts locally really easy(Norway) and tons of used or new other parts from Germany. Bike-teile.de is a good site if you need anything, e-bay like motorcycle parts listing. You also don't have the original corrosion prone gold rims too.

Ask if the water pump, oil pump, stator and regulator has been changed recently, as all 4 of those can wear out after a while, but not often. Another non regular maintainance item is the cam chain guide/tensioner, but it's not that hard to check wear on those yourself.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Ooooooh! V4 400cc 4stroke? Nice..

Strange inboard ventilated disc brakes.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

1994 Cagiva Elefant E750

"750 Elefant, is the smaller brother of the 900ie Elefant. That 750 ducati motor is more than just a sleeve-down job. Though outwardly very similar, those distinctive Ducati cases house a whole host of differences. Bore and stroke are 88 x 61.5mm against the 900's 92 x 68 thanks to a combination of smaller bores and a shorter throw crank. Induction comes through a brace of 38mm Mikunis compared to the 900ie Elefant's Weber-Marelli fuel-injection system (although a version wearing the same 38-mil carbs is also available). Cooling, like both SS sportsters, is by good old air but with an extra oil-cooler tagged on for good measure."
60 HP, 24 liters fuel tank, 200kg wet weight.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

"Brace" of carbs? "Wearing" carbs? "Sportsters"? "Extra" oil cooler? Does this guy write for Road & Track or something?

haha, text was from the Bike Magasine review in 94.

edit: In all it's glory.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 2, 2015

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Hm, what is this? some kinda dual sport?

Lots of dials.

And two stroke it seems?

250cc, 46 horsies, 14L tank, 150kg wet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_TDR_250

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Yeah, it's more a i've put lipstick on this pig and need to sell it, $$$$ invested price. I really doubt he'll get that much for it.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

They are good bikes, but have some fun engineering, like oil in frame tank.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Good luck trying to sell something for that price that only the adv forum crowd knows what is.

Bmw g650 x challenge 2008 with full Hot rod welding.nl kit

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

An actual cafe-racer ?!

Translated
"Norton Featherbed Frame and Triumph T110 motor, Aluminium gas- and oil tank, Aluminium wheels, new instrumentation, new fot pegs, Amal MK2 carbs, Tommaselli handles and throttle roll. Brakes from newer Triumph/BSA."

I read up on the triton Hybrids and this made me laugh:

Wikipedia posted:

The Norton 650 and 750 vertical twin engines had a reliability problem. At about 7000 rpm the piston exceeds the engineering limit for piston speed, so over-revving soon destroys the engines.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Unless you're chuckling at the surprised way Wikipedia describes a known and obvious inbuilt limit on engine speed, I'm not sure what you're finding funny. It's why engines have rev limiters (at least they have done since it became practical to put them on).

Gorgeous bike though and if I ever get a garage and some spare time something like that will definitely be in my life.

I just find it funny that they made an engine that by default almost straddled that limit instead of making it a little more sedate.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Marv Hushman posted:

These pregnancy-induced giveaways need a name.

Family discount?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

That's fun, one of it's big brothers was just posted locally. Shame they're 220KG wet.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Hello.

1994 Cagiva Elefant 750 Lucky Explorer Desmodue

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Enlighten a non local? What's wrong with that shop?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I have a thing for early 90s big dual sports.

1991 Cagiva 900 ie Lycky Explorer

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Niiiicee, that's a cool little bike.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Brappo.

2005 TM 530 Black dream
125KG /275 LBS
39 HP

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

It's very very italian. A little history.

And If you are in the US here is the Current lineup with price list

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

There is nothing wrong with an older bike if it has been maintained.

If it has been sitting for a long time, or has mysteriously low mileage but looks dirty I'd look elsewhere unless you actually want a project and are handy.

Mileage is also a function of model and brand. Like a 90s honda actually made in japan with an unstressed mature power plant can go on forever if maintained.

Around 2005 more and more models got abs as an option, injection, modern forks and digital displays. I'd research what existed of models in your chosen type of bike around your year/price point.

If you find models that look interesting start looking into maintenance intervals and known faults. You can dodge bombs there.

Then you plop in an auto alert in your preferred online bike trading platform for the models you are interested in, so you can call asap when one is listed at a price that looks good.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Yeah..

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Spotted a unicorn listed locally.

A Laverda OR 600 Atlas
Listing in moon language, more pictures there https://www.finn.no/mc/all/ad.html?finnkode=179681955

One of about 450 made, built by Laverda after their consultancy period at bmw with helping developing their GS series was over.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

From the front it looks like some retro sci-fi robot

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

There is a decent supply of old wings here in Norway too.

And do not forget that all the big 4 Japanese had their big 80s tourers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_Venture_Royale

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_GV1400_Cavalcade

https://www.bikeswiki.com/Kawasaki_ZN1300_Voyager

Edit: on a related note, I've never seen the Alpha(?) naming convention used for tire size before like on that zn1300:
Front tire size: MR90-18, tubeless (its 120/90?)
Rear tire size: MU90-16, tubeless (its 140/90?)

Supradog fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

https://www.finn.no/mc/all/ad.html?finnkode=201737726

2002 sv650 for 23k Kroners (2600usd) from a dealer, serviced, in Oslo.
Looks like a trade in bike they're just offloading with a get rid off it price.

The floor on full license bikes in Norway is around that. Anything cheaper has something wrong with it.

The interesting bit it that the motorcycle owning crowd is getting older in Norway.
Getting a drivers license is steadily getting more expensive and new bikes get another tax reduction this year.
I think the used prices are gonna trend downwards hard locally.