Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
This sounds similar to the guy above with his Tales problem, is there a fix for this sort of ghosting that happens in FF12? I've tried various hacks like offset 1, etc. but no go.

It only happens in some cut-scenes though, seems to be ones with lighting effects like rays coming in from a window, that kind of thing. So it's not a huge deal or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I see people talking about configuring games differently and no mention of PCSX2Bonus the last couple of pages, so I say get PCSX2Bonus.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PCSX2Bonus-A-PCSX2-launcher-frontend

I got it when I played Tenchu and had to configure skipdraw every time for that game alone. Also, 2D games need to be setup differently than 3D games or they look bad. PCSX2Bonus saves your config for each game and sets it up every time you load that game in the future it's super convenient. I think ePSXe had an update recently that does the same thing. Maybe PCSX2 does it automatically now I haven't checked.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
The ghosting thing is a very basic part of upscaling the resolution not jiving with post processing effects and has been an issue with the emulator since day 1. I wouldn't be surprised if there were questions about ghosting on every page

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Coolguye posted:

no netplay after a century, but goddamn if pscx2 can't make a hackjob attempt at emulating games it has no business touching in the first place hells yeah

You stole the words right out of my mouth.

It's theoretically a stepping stone on the way to perfect hardware emulation, but I would think priorities would be a bit different.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 28, 2016

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
I agree with Enkmar, that ghosting effect is obviously a soft-focus postproc that just looks bizarre because it's optimized for 480i displays.
You could probably get rid of it by messing with the emulator's framebuffer settings, but that would affect other fullscreen effects too.
Unless individual hacks/patches come out for each game, you'll just have to learn to live with it as an unavoidable artifact of emulating an old game at an unintended resolution, just like blocky 2D HUD elements.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I have Dynasty Warriors 3. The base game, not Xtreme Legends. The game itself runs fine, slowdown and all. The FMVs do not; they're doubled-up and flickery. That's the best I can describe the effect. Is this common?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Are you using the latest dev build? Anyway there is a small blurb about FMVs on their wiki. So try that if the latest Git doesn't fix your problem.

http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/Dynasty_Warriors_3

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
This isn't exactly PCSX2 related, but I'm guessing this might be the best thread to ask:

I want to get a save file from my PS2 memory card on to my PC so that I can continue the game in PCSX2. I have Free McBoot installed on the memory card, so is there a simple way to use that to transfer the save file to a USB stick?

edit: Scratch that, I don't seem to have a PS2 controller anymore so can't even use the thing if the save was obtainable :v:

New question: Does anybody have or know where I can get a Persona 4 save file that's about half way through the game? I've found a few online but they all have like 99 of every item and the main character with max stats, which isn't what I want

Paperhouse fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 3, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Paperhouse posted:

This isn't exactly PCSX2 related, but I'm guessing this might be the best thread to ask:

I want to get a save file from my PS2 memory card on to my PC so that I can continue the game in PCSX2. I have Free McBoot installed on the memory card, so is there a simple way to use that to transfer the save file to a USB stick?

edit: Scratch that, I don't seem to have a PS2 controller anymore so can't even use the thing if the save was obtainable :v:

New question: Does anybody have or know where I can get a Persona 4 save file that's about half way through the game? I've found a few online but they all have like 99 of every item and the main character with max stats, which isn't what I want

If you had a ps2 controller you could have just put a usb stick in and copied the folder for that game off your memory card using ulaunchelf.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I seem to have thrown it away when I realised I could just emulate all games and plug a PS3 controller into my computer :negative:

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
I have some Chinese-made PS2 multitap with a USB lead on one end so I can keep using my original controllers. :dance:
I wish I had information on it but I found it in a thrift store and the only printing on it is "Cyber Gadget" which seems to be a company that specializes in inter-console adapters.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Finally got myself a DS4.

For pad users here in this thread, which one of these is the best?

https://inputmapper.com/
http://ds4windows.com/#hero

I heard both good things about both wrappers but the DS4W drivers just seem easier to use and looks hassle-free.

Any other suggestions? Anything for Linux too?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
DS4Windows by a country mile.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Coughing Hobo posted:

DS4Windows by a country mile.

Thanks.

This poo poo just ended up working immediately. Finally, a decent pad for emulators.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
inputmapper's ui is insanely terrible

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Isn't InputMapper the same thing as DS4Windows, as in same developer just with the former being actively developed and the latter no longer maintained?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Nate RFB posted:

Isn't InputMapper the same thing as DS4Windows, as in same developer just with the former being actively developed and the latter no longer maintained?

That was the older DS4W project. It's pretty much the same thing, but they restarted it and both Inputmapper and DS4W get regular updates. Inputmapper is just harder to navigate.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Could be worse

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nate RFB posted:

ds4windows got an update recently to fix an issue caused by updates to windows 10, so no, inputmapper is just a suckier ds4windows

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It doesn't help that the InputMapper guys keep on saying that DS4Windows is discontinued when it isn't, they're just wanting people to use their lovely program over the much more superior one instead.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
I'm a huge idiot. I recently had a jones for finishing Dark Cloud, so I ripped the iso off my old disc, set up PCSX2 and started playing. Of course, my AMD-equipped laptop clocked at 1.8 GHz with an outdated integrated Radeon chip gave terrible framerates despite messing around with the settings - which included changing the renderer to Direct3D 11 and back to Direct3D 9. I resigned myself to playing through the game with sub-par framerates.

Today, the game was running abysmally slow compared to usual, so I realized that part of the problem was having my laptop unplugged and thus in power saving mode. I also realized that I was on battery life when I first tried out PCSX2 on the laptop, so I messed around with the settings for a bit since the end results would be different from my first tests. Changing to Direct3D 11 and enabling the 8-bit texture rendering mode that I previously ignored made Dark Cloud go from running too slow on my laptop to running too well; I was getting my rear end handed to me since I wasn't used to the game running so smoothly.

I still haven't found the option that makes Dark Cloud even half as fun as Dark Cloud 2. Do I need to mess about with the Emotion Engine settings for that?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Not even sure how well it handles the emotion engine. I've heard with some people OGL rendering is more true to the original PS2 while others like DX rendering better.

Oh and people seem to have a better experience with Nvidia cards in general.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So, uh, I've always been a console guy, so all of this seems rather greek to me, but I'm working with a friend who knows computers well but doesn't know the ins and outs of PS2 emulation. We're trying to put together a system for me to play a handful of my favorite games (mainly the Armored Core and Ace Combat series) that can handle PSCX2 with all the fancy bells and whistles applied.

So, my question is, is this overkill, or too little? I'd rather be safe than sorry but I also don't want to overspend for what's effectively a "play games I already have" machine.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So, uh, I've always been a console guy, so all of this seems rather greek to me, but I'm working with a friend who knows computers well but doesn't know the ins and outs of PS2 emulation. We're trying to put together a system for me to play a handful of my favorite games (mainly the Armored Core and Ace Combat series) that can handle PSCX2 with all the fancy bells and whistles applied.

So, my question is, is this overkill, or too little? I'd rather be safe than sorry but I also don't want to overspend for what's effectively a "play games I already have" machine.

Unless I've missed an update, pcsx2 still can't play ace combat very well :eng99:. I have to break out my old fat ps2 to play those.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/Ace_Combat_04:_Shattered_Skies
http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/Ace_Combat_5:_The_Unsung_War
http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/Ace_Combat_Zero:_The_Belkan_War

these all have playable entries, it looks like the common point is software mode for everything. I know, for example, 04 and Zero play okay in hardware at default settings except for the ground textures warping around like crazy - distracting but not unplayable. And you can just swap to software to not have that issue.

e: aces your system should probably handle it but pfffff an ATI GPU, the shame.

I could record some youtube clips if you want to see how it plays for me, I guess? and I'm on a computer a few years old at this point

Psion fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 27, 2016

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe
Strangely enough, they've made progress with the Ace Combat series fairly recently. The mipmapping issue with the terrain had a hack implemented in a recent build, as you can check out in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLQiE70DuyY

There's still issues of course, like with lens flare or explosions, but it's certainly a lot more playable than it was a few months ago.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Also you can just play it in software mode, but at the original resolution

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Last I tried (maybe 6 months ago) ACLR is a blurry mess in hardware mode but otherwise playable.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'd say overkill. An i7 is pretty overkill unless you really need the stuff it can do over an i5, and if you don't know what it can do over an i5, you probably don't need it. K series CPUs are also an added expense over the regular ones since those are good for overclocking. Do you really need to overclock?

Also please do not use an AMD GPU, get an Nvidia one. That case looks fine, but you might be able to find a smaller one for an mATX mobo? Also consider getting an SSD (240 GB is preferred but 120 is perfectly reasonable) along with that hard drive because SSDs make for amazing OS drives.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Arc Impulse posted:

Strangely enough, they've made progress with the Ace Combat series fairly recently. The mipmapping issue with the terrain had a hack implemented in a recent build, as you can check out in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLQiE70DuyY

There's still issues of course, like with lens flare or explosions, but it's certainly a lot more playable than it was a few months ago.

this is great, thanks for posting it. I went and grabbed a recent dev build and made the ini change, works like a charm. Now to figure out how to make it look as good as he did in the video.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So apparently Armored Core games don't play well with PCSX2 in Hardware Mode? So if I were intending on recording while playing, I'd have to step it up to keep everything from being a choppy mess, yeah?

I know you said I didn't need the i7 but it kinda sounds like I might, especially if trying to record stuff at higher resolutions with fancy effects.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Depends on how you record, I guess. Shadowplay is pretty light on the CPU because it's using hardware on the card itself. I think ATI has something similar but I don't know how well it works. For reference, I just made these a few minutes ago with shadowplay:
04: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTyzyckUSMo (note the odd sunglare at 0:33, the only glitch I've seen so far)
Zero: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDfDPb9KiPk

but that's ace combat - no clue about armored core.

I should point out two things: it's not perfect. There's a really annoying sunglare texture issue in 04, and your plane's textures are flat black in flight when you go to 3rd person cam. :shrug: if those are fixable in hardware mode

Psion fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 28, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So apparently Armored Core games don't play well with PCSX2 in Hardware Mode? So if I were intending on recording while playing, I'd have to step it up to keep everything from being a choppy mess, yeah?

I know you said I didn't need the i7 but it kinda sounds like I might, especially if trying to record stuff at higher resolutions with fancy effects.

ACLR is iffy in hardware, the rest do fine. Nexus and Ninebreaker might also be iffy, I haven't tried them in a while. The reports on the wiki are ancient, the black screens can be gotten rid of. Just downloaded the latest git build, I'll give you a more recent trip report soon.

As for recording, higher resolutions are entirely GPU. I've been able to record ps2 games at 1080p just fine using the internal recorder on an aging i5.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 28, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Blurry poo poo in the first arena match of ACLR. Default setting except for the hardware hack that specifically mentions ACLR.

software mode, ac test
hardware 4x native res, ac test.

My poo poo rig can record that giant res at 1/4 speed using lagarith codec and the internal recorder. The internal recorder cuts out all lag frames so the audience will never know.

Me getting dunked by the test ac in standard resolution:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo72loygX8c

The Armored Core games are generally considered to be some of the most demanding ps2 games, especially the Nexus era ones. If you can justify springing for an i7, it'll probably help you here.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Oct 28, 2016

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Psion posted:

Depends on how you record, I guess. Shadowplay is pretty light on the CPU because it's using hardware on the card itself. I think ATI has something similar but I don't know how well it works. For reference, I just made these a few minutes ago with shadowplay:
04: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTyzyckUSMo (note the odd sunglare at 0:33, the only glitch I've seen so far)
Zero: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDfDPb9KiPk

but that's ace combat - no clue about armored core.

I should point out two things: it's not perfect. There's a really annoying sunglare texture issue in 04, and your plane's textures are flat black in flight when you go to 3rd person cam. :shrug: if those are fixable in hardware mode

Windows 10 has built in game recording too now! It's hidden under the Xbox live stuff but works with any game. It's apparently pretty light. I don't notice anything using AMDs built in recording. Calling the card ATI is pretty silly since it's been about 10 years since it was called that. The cards and drivers are pretty competitive now.

AMD CPUs are still bad and to be avoided. Maybe Zen will change that in a few months. Worst case it forces Intel to drop their prices and you still get an Intel. I'd honestly hold off until Zen is released before buying a new computer.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
If you're going to buy an i7-6700K, don't cheap out on the motherboard. Get a Z170 motherboard of some description, you might as well get that last 500 MHz out of your CPU. I'd still recommend this even if you go down to an i5-6600K. I'd also replace the PSU with this higher quality unit, it's super discounted right now and comes with a ridiculously long ten year warranty.

It doesn't take much of a GPU to render PS2 games at high resolutions in my experience. If this is literally a PS2 and nothing else machine you can probably get away with something in the $100 range. I'm not as into PS2 emulation as the thread regulars though so if they say otherwise then disregard this part.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Oct 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Man, Valkyrie Profile Silmeria really fights with you every step of the way with all these graphical glitches. I'm muddling through because God knows I won't ever be able to play it any other way, but I'm having to make on the fly adjustments just to keep the screen from drowning in ghosting or artifacts.

• Locked thread