Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

totalnewbie posted:

But if your deferment means you're in a lower tax bracket when you withdraw, you still benefit.
Given we're at historic lows for tax rates, not something I would bet on, but yes, especially if you're in a high bracket now, it could be worth it.

And that's so right, it absolutely depends on individual tax situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

moana posted:

Given we're at historic lows for tax rates, not something I would bet on, but yes, especially if you're in a high bracket now, it could be worth it.

I've said this before and I'll say it again -- it's pretty tough to predict the political winds in a few decades, yes the country will probably need more revenue but the methodology could vary quite widely (e.g., a federal VAT tax, bringing capital gains rates in line with nominal tax rates, .etc.)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Small White Dragon posted:

I've said this before and I'll say it again -- it's pretty tough to predict the political winds in a few decades, yes the country will probably need more revenue but the methodology could vary quite widely (e.g., a federal VAT tax, bringing capital gains rates in line with nominal tax rates, .etc.)

Historically, they are at an all-time low. But what does this tell us about the future?

Let's debate for another 5 pages.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Small White Dragon posted:

My bet is on under-reporting inflation to the point all tax brackets are crammed down. I'll come back to gloat in 40 years if I'm right.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So we've identified ~70,000 in costs over the next year split across ten "buckets"

Looks like Ally Bank has buckets for both their savings and checking, but it only tells you how much money has been allocated to that bucket. It doesn't allow you to set a goal amount, nor does it tell you how far along (10%, 50%, 99% etc) towards that goal

Looks like Mint.com has this feature but I am kind of loathe to use it, and I don't like the interface

Is there another budgeting tool out there? There's YNAB but I don't want to use that product for personal reasons

Is there a US based bank that provides an API to get the balance of your account, and then I can just do the budgeting programatically? I figure if I can get the balance out of my bank's API then I can apply the buckets using a django web app or something, and then display the bucket progression over time via grafana or whatever

TL;DR do any banks allow you to get balance info via API

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hadlock posted:

So we've identified ~70,000 in costs over the next year split across ten "buckets"

Looks like Ally Bank has buckets for both their savings and checking, but it only tells you how much money has been allocated to that bucket. It doesn't allow you to set a goal amount, nor does it tell you how far along (10%, 50%, 99% etc) towards that goal

Looks like Mint.com has this feature but I am kind of loathe to use it, and I don't like the interface

Is there another budgeting tool out there? There's YNAB but I don't want to use that product for personal reasons

Is there a US based bank that provides an API to get the balance of your account, and then I can just do the budgeting programatically? I figure if I can get the balance out of my bank's API then I can apply the buckets using a django web app or something, and then display the bucket progression over time via grafana or whatever

TL;DR do any banks allow you to get balance info via API

gently caress ally's buckets.

Capital one used to, don't know if it was public. I just made sub accounts named after my buckets. I will say that I got blinders on micro allocating stuff. A financial planner said "you know if you just collapse this all together you can do this today, then that in 6 months, then... Rather than all of them in 10 years" and it clicked.

Make 2 savings accounts. Name one "efund - 20k" (whatever) and target that amount as a minimum. Let the interest accumulate as its your only hedge against inflation. Force rank your projects based on the personal priority. Set the name of the other account to be the name of your next goal and the amount.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

H110Hawk posted:

gently caress ally's buckets.

Curious why? I don't use the buckets feature but it seems like it could be good?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

spwrozek posted:

Curious why? I don't use the buckets feature but it seems like it could be good?

They are in the way and slow to load on the mobile app. So you see your activity log then NOPE it's a full screen down. For a feature I don't use.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also Ally doesn't penalize you on having multiple actual savings accounts and splitting poo poo up that way.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also Ally doesn't penalize you on having multiple actual savings accounts and splitting poo poo up that way.

Truth. I have like 10 different Ally savings accounts for different goals.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

DJCobol posted:

Truth. I have like 10 different Ally savings accounts for different goals.

I do the same in Amex FSB. I have a general savings, an IRA savings for the next year (I deposit $500 in it every month) and then a monthly expense savings accounts.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've had zero issues with the buckets feature in Ally on mobile or desktop. Works well enough for me!

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
I'm not sure if this is the best thread for it, but I figured I would start here. My wife and I are working up to maxing out our HSA, and wanting to start investing some of the money stashed in there, but am not very familiar with most of the ticker symbols. We are both mid-30's with a couple of kids and I am our only income. For our other investments (401k, Roth, brokerage etc.) we are mostly in mix of index funds like VTSAX, VTIAX and VBTLX or Target Date funds to make it simple. Which of these investments makes sense to jump into? Are some of the tickers like VBMPX just a different version of VBTLX?

code:

Ticker Symbol		Fund Name		                Category		        Expense Ratio
VSIAX		VANGUARD SMALL CAP VALUE INDEX ADMIRAL		SMALL VALUE	               	0.07%
VBMPX		VANGUARD TOTAL BOND MARKET IDX INSTLPLS		INTERMEDIATE CORE BOND		0.03%
VTTSX		VANGUARD TARGET RETIREMENT 2060 INV		TARGET-DATE 2060+	       	0.15%
VIGIX		VANGUARD GROWTH INDEX INSTITUTIONAL		LARGE GROWTH		        0.04%
VTWNX		VANGUARD TARGET RETIREMENT 2020 INV		TARGET-DATE 2020		0.13%
VWIAX		VANGUARD WELLESLEY INCOME ADMIRAL		ALLOCATION--30% TO 50% EQ	0.16%
VFORX		VANGUARD TARGET RETIREMENT 2040 INV		TARGET-DATE 2040		0.14%
VTINX		VANGUARD TARGET RETIREMENT INCOME INV		TARGET-DATE RETIREMENT		0.12%
VEMPX		VANGUARD EXTENDED MARKET INDEX INSTLPLUS	MID-CAP BLEND		        0.04%
VTPSX		VANGUARD TOTAL INTL STOCK IDX INSTLPLS		FOREIGN LARGE BLEND		0.07%
VTAPX		VANGUARD SHRT-TERM INFL-PROT SEC IDX ADM	INFLATION-PROTECTED BOND	0.06%
VIIIX		VANGUARD INST INDEX INSTL PLUS	          	LARGE BLEND		        0.02%
VEMIX		VANGUARD EMERGING MKTS STOCK IDX INSTL		DIVERSIFIED EMERGING MKTS	0.10%
VBIRX		VANGUARD SHORT-TERM BOND INDEX ADM		SHORT-TERM BOND	        	0.07%
VTHRX		VANGUARD TARGET RETIREMENT 2030 INV		TARGET-DATE 2030		0.14%
VMIAX		VANGUARD MATERIALS INDEX ADMIRAL		NATURAL RESOURCES		0.10%
VMVAX		VANGUARD MID-CAP VALUE INDEX ADMIRAL		MID-CAP VALUE	        	0.07%
VSMAX		VANGUARD SMALL CAP INDEX ADM	        	SMALL BLEND		        0.05%
VTABX		VANGUARD TOTAL INTL BD IDX ADMIRAL		WORLD BOND-USD HEDGED		0.11%
VIPIX		VANGUARD INFLATION-PROTECTED SECS I	        INFLATION-PROTECTED BOND	0.07%
VFIFX		VANGUARD TARGET RETIREMENT 2050 INV		TARGET-DATE 2050		0.15%
VGSNX		VANGUARD REAL ESTATE INDEX INSTITUTIONAL	REAL ESTATE	        	0.10%
VVIAX		VANGUARD VALUE INDEX ADM	        	LARGE VALUE	                0.05%

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, looks like the institutional fund class. Are you treating this like an extra Roth? I'd just go as hardcore aggressive as you can in an HSA since you won't be pulling out for 30+ years. Mine is all in REITs since it's tax advantaged.

I hope your brokerage acct isn't invested in target date funds tho.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Also this is off topic and maybe you have enough to self insure, but if you're the sole earner please make sure you have decent disability insurance and a term life insurance policy. And an estate plan with guardianship provisions. Just mentioning since we are in the newbies thread.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

moana posted:

Also this is off topic and maybe you have enough to self insure, but if you're the sole earner please make sure you have decent disability insurance and a term life insurance policy. And an estate plan with guardianship provisions. Just mentioning since we are in the newbies thread.

Whats the general rule of thumb on amounts for life insurance? I just got enough to pay off house/any other debts and bury me plus like a $40k cushion. More was pretty cheap but I thought it'd be excessive.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Whats the general rule of thumb on amounts for life insurance? I just got enough to pay off house/any other debts and bury me plus like a $40k cushion. More was pretty cheap but I thought it'd be excessive.

10x your income is a typical benchmark. This depends on how much more money you earn compared to your lifestyle though. I have a million on myself and $500k on my wife. That's less than 10x my income, but it's within a lifestyle adjustment of it based on our other savings and the number of years I expect to support my wife and kids in the event of my untimely demise. 25yr term.

Do not do Whole or Universal or Anything That Isn't Term Just Say gently caress Off.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I would want enough to get my daughter to 18 without my husband having to go back to work. There's no real rule of thumb since it's so dependent on your individual situation - what you have saved up already, what your expenses are, how long you would want to support your dependents, if you want to pay off your mortgage, etc.

That income rule is fine to start from, knowing that what you actually spend is more relevant to what you need to calculate.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Another question just came to mind.

Is it worth opening a Roth IRA if I cant max out my employers 457b plan? I pay %7.5 percent of my gross income into a pension plan, my employer contributes another %7.5. Then I contribute %10 of my net income to the 403b.

That plan has a pretty high contribution limit, I think its about $18k a year. I'm only on track to contribute about $5k. The plan has good vanguard offerings so I dont know if I'm overthinking things by trying to add a IRA when I could just potentially throw more money towards the 457b.

EDIT: Apparently its a 457b plan not a 403b.

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 16, 2020

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Another question just came to mind.

Is it worth opening a Roth IRA if I cant max out my employers 457b plan? I pay %7.5 percent of my gross income into a pension plan, my employer contributes another %7.5. Then I contribute %10 of my net income to the 403b.

That plan has a pretty high contribution limit, I think its about $18k a year. I'm only on track to contribute about $5k. The plan has good vanguard offerings so I dont know if I'm overthinking things by trying to add a IRA when I could just potentially throw more money towards the 457b.

EDIT: Apparently its a 457b plan not a 403b.

Do you work for a government agency? There's supposed to be a lot of pitfalls with non-government 457b plans that you might be better off shifting that $5k in contributions to an IRA instead.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

moana posted:

Yeah, looks like the institutional fund class. Are you treating this like an extra Roth? I'd just go as hardcore aggressive as you can in an HSA since you won't be pulling out for 30+ years. Mine is all in REITs since it's tax advantaged.

I hope your brokerage acct isn't invested in target date funds tho.
Awesome, yeah, I'm basically treating this as an extra tax advantaged investment vehicle similar to a ROTH. Do you have an specific suggestions from the funds available? And you are correct, the brokerage account is my wife's since she doesn't have many options without earned income and is all mutual funds and individual stocks, but no target date funds.

moana posted:

I'm all for reminders, and definitely some things I could revisit. All of my disability insurance and life insurance is through my work at this point. Disability insurance consists of income replacement up to 50% of eligible earnings, or I could up to pay for up to 65%. My life insurance is currently about 6x my salary, which covers the mortgage plus a little over $400k on top of our savings accounts. It is listed as a group life insurance. I'm not very familiar with life insurance, but it definitely doesn't liked like a term policy. Should I be looking at dumping this policy, and looking into term plans come open enrollment time?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I've currently got enough to cover the house, plus around $400k of living expenses on top of what we have in savings/emergency funds. This would likely give her at least 5 years without any sort of additional income, but not 10x my salary.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Falco, you have a spousal ROTH IRA setup right?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Homies IRA is an acronym but Roth is not

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Named for this dude.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I know. My phone autocorrects it to that for some reason and I am to lazy to fix it. Just imagine I am yelling.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

spwrozek posted:

I know. My phone autocorrects it to that for some reason and I am to lazy to fix it. Just imagine I am yelling.
BILL ROTH!

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

spwrozek posted:

Falco, you have a spousal ROTH IRA setup right?

Yeah, sorry I haven't been very good at sharing the whole picture. I've got my 401k through work that isn't quite maxed out yearly (I'm around $12k/yr), both of us have a Roth IRA that are both maxed yearly, she has a Brokerage account in addition to the Roth and now we are trying to increase our contributions to the HSA and get to a point where we can max that out before long as well. It just seems silly to have ~$5k just sitting in our HSA not doing anything. We have enough savings to cover our deductible and out of pocket max beyond our 6mo emergency fund, so I'm not terribly worried about investing our HSA funds.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nice man. Good work.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Homies IRA is an acronym but Roth is not

Stop giving bad advice! IRA isn't an acronym; it's an initialism. We don't pronounce it like the given name Ira!
:goonsay:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ancillary Character posted:

Do you work for a government agency? There's supposed to be a lot of pitfalls with non-government 457b plans that you might be better off shifting that $5k in contributions to an IRA instead.

Yeah I work for a government agency. This plan is supplemental to my state pension which is 15% of my salary contributed each month. I think for now I'm just going to hold off on contributing more. We're expecting a kid soon and daycare is not cheap from calling around....

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SpelledBackwards posted:

Stop giving bad advice! IRA isn't an acronym; it's an initialism. We don't pronounce it like the given name Ira!

Speak for yourself! I pronounce it like the This American Life host.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

H110Hawk posted:

Speak for yourself! I pronounce it like the This American Life host.
I'm pretty sure Ira Glass pronounces the initialism correctly too.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

I'm pretty sure Ira Glass pronounces the initialism correctly too.

It would disappoint me if he didn't.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Hey, first time poster in this forum. I'm looking for some sound advice on next steps, financially. Here's a breakdown of where I am.

In March of 2018, while still working in an hourly position and taking night classes at a coding bootcamp, I lost my job and was out of work for about 10 weeks, during which time I defaulted on about $20k worth of credit card debt across 5 cards and a personal loan. I managed to keep my car and only have a 60-day late hit on that that's about two years old now and on time since. I avoided all the calls from the credit card companies (I know, I know) and they were charged off and sent to collections between May and October of that year.

In December of 2018 I career changed into software development a couple months ahead of graduation from bootcamp (I still graduated) which doubled my income. In August of last year I accepted a position with another org paying about 30% more on top of that, where I am now. My salary is $78,400 plus a variable annual bonus with a base rate of 5%. My performance in this role has been highly praised and I have been told to cautiously expect a title upgrade in September and concomitant raise, which I don't know the expected size of but would guess around 10%. I am not figuring this into my future budgeting until it's official.

When I accepted my current position, I finally called all of the collection agencies holding my accounts and negotiated settlements. After taking the cheapest room I could find for a year instead of living alone, and aggressively snowballing, as of last Friday (July 17 2020) I made the final payments and all of them are settled. I paid off the accounts showing active collections first and they have come off of my credit report, but a couple of the negative CC accounts have not yet updated and still show a balance.

I currently have nothing in my 401(k), but in a few weeks on the anniversary of my hire date I become eligible for matching and will start maxing out my matched contribution at 5%. 25% of my after-tax income is auto deposited into savings (about $560 every two weeks), which currently sits at $1000 after wiping out the last big chunk of debt. My spending is well under control, and I also move anything left over in my checking account on the day before payday into savings, usually another few hundred at least.

The remaining balance on my auto loan is $7860 at somewhere around 6.5% APR and will be paid off in January 2023 if I continue to make minimum payments. I've been intentionally doing so in order to keep a running account in good standing and work my on time payment percentage back up. I also opened two secured credit cards with no annual fees in February of this year. Each has a $200 credit limit, and has one small bill (like Netflix) on it to keep it revolving and is set to auto draft the full balance every month. I do not use them otherwise and don't even carry them.

Credit Karma is reporting my score as between 630-640 with no collection accounts on the report, just the old closed accounts with negative remarks indicating they were settled for less than the full balance. The big jumps from the removals have already happened, so I'm not sure if it will change mugh when the balances drop off.

My goal is to own a home as soon as is responsibly feasible, though I'm aware it will be a matter of years.

What are my logical next steps other than growing my savings? In particular, what can I do to help my credit score recover in the meantime while I work on being in a position to buy?

TL;DR

Bunch of chargeoffs 2 years ago, massive career upgrade since and no longer have any outstanding debt other than my car loan. Well cushioned in terms of income versus expenses, but no real nest egg yet. Credit score around 640, looking for a path forward that ends in home ownership at a reasonable rate when that's feasible.

Let me know if I need to format the relevant data better.

ETA: Cost of housing in my city has been rising sharply for about 8 years but appears to be leveling off. Median sale price in the last year is around 300K.

Dross fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 22, 2020

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Hey, it should be said , great job taking a year , living cheaply and not as comfortable , and paying off the debt. Not everyone can do something like that.

I don’t know a lot on house buying , but obviously improving credit and having savings is the next step, so I’ll post my thoughts there.

Credit score: you’re on the right pace, keep doing exactly what you’re doing with those credit cards. You should see it jump over 1-2 years for sure.

401k: just a reminder to always take the match, good job there.

I would argue any positive impact the car loan has on your credit is negated by the 6% interest. 6% isn’t terrible, but it’s not great. If you are able to snowball and pay off the car loan early like you did your other debt, it will actually then allow you to save more (because you aren’t being charged 6% interest on $7,000).

So basically: next steps should be:
-Make a budget (which tells you what you can and can’t do money wise)
-make sure you have a good emergency fund
-pay off car loan
(Arguable to pay off car loan before emergency fund)
-contribute to 401k Match
-once you have an emergency fund, save up to whatever target you identify that you will need as a down payment for a house.

I would bet it’ll be 1-3 years to do all that, so by that time your credit will naturally fix itself.

Finally: owning a home is great, just make sure you are doing it because you want that life style, and not because owning a home is part of what is expected in America.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
That was a feel good pro-read. :toot:

First off: Don't worry about buying a house or your credit score for the moment. Make your budget and stick to it, you have at least a year before you will have saved up enough to buy a house assuming you want a "traditional" detached single family home you live alone (or with only your family) in. Don't miss out on that 401k match in your budget. I'm also on team "pay off your car note" but that's up to you, and I would do it after you have a month or two of e-fund built up and not use your efund to do it.

Check your credit report once or twice a month and make sure that those creditors are actually living up to their end of the bargain. Dispute anything which is inaccurate. Again, ignore the score. So long as you're living "clean" it shouldn't be going anywhere but up and obsessing over it will drive you crazy because some months it will go up and others it will go down despite nearly zero change.

In a year, assess where you're at and figure out what home prices are where you want to live, with the features you want. What are "needs" and what are "wants". The ideal down payment is 20% in addition to your emergency fund. You can get loans as low as 0% down, but you are playing with fire. Below 20% down you will pay more for your mortgage, and you're already likely to pay a bit more due to your credit history. Below 10% you're getting into being underwater on your house the moment you buy it, not a great place to be. Futz with some mortgage calculators that include PITI and figure out which home prices match your budget based on your down payment. Skim those houses. If you need more money, save more money. You will get a feel for it where "home price is $450k down payment is $45k at whatever interest is $3000/month PITI." (I just made that up.) You can go from there in zillow figuring out the rest. There is a home buying thread when you want more details on that in a year.

Want to accelerate this process? Keep job hunting. The fastest way to grow your savings rate is to earn more money. The fastest way to grow your salary in most cases is to switch jobs. You're a software engineer. As you gain experience jump positions for more money. Keep learning. Keep talking to peers. Never be the smartest person in the room. (But don't be a cocky jerk either.) Know your worth and ask for it. You can't get what you don't ask for in life. Network (lol COVID.) Stay in communication with your boss about ways to improve yourself, you should be having at least monthly 1:1's with them and a good company will have you doing them nearly weekly. Strangely enough, learn to understand business people and their jargon. You will go further in life being able to clearly articulate yourself to the people with the purse strings and sometimes that means excel and powerpoint.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Don't ever make a financial decision based on its impact on your credit score. I vote efund to bare bones, 401k to match, pay off car loan, full efund as your next steps.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Given that we are still in pandemic mode in the US (I assume you're in the US), even though your industry and salary raise prospects sound good, I'd look to creating a larger emergency fund than 1-2 months if you can, and keep car payments at minimum until you have at least a 3-4 month or 5-6 month fund. Jobs are not in plentiful supply right now, and if anything happens to yours you don't want to be left holding the bag while waiting for unemployment or some other form of assistance to keep in.

Then after that, by all means aggressively attack the car loan with the debt avalanche (apply all extra moneys toward debt payments at the highest interest % loan, always... unless you can clear a lower interest loan off the books that month with the usual overpayment. Might be worth it in that case to have fewer loans to track. But purely from a numeric standpoint, avalanche is always superior to snowball in terms of debt repayment time and overall interest paid. When you only have 1 source of debt, or all your debts are at the same interest rate, then they work exactly the same. Here's a summary: https://www.cnbc.com/select/debt-snowball-vs-debt-avalanche/

You can run the numbers and choose to do it either way, or switch around as you go. There's no totally wrong answer unless 1 debt has a grossly higher rate than all the others in terms of interest rate (not talking about balance remaining), such as payday loans or high interest credit cards.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. It sounds like I should just stress less about when I’ll be able to do something that’s far off. I’ll start making bigger payments on the auto loan and just worry about that and growing savings for the time being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
CEO of our parent company sent out an email stating they're starting an employee stock purchase program. I don't own any stocks and any money I invest has been through retirement vehicles. That being said it would appear that they're offering a 20% discount for most employees.

quote:

I'm delighted to announce the launch of our new [redacted] Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP). This program gives you the opportunity to purchase [redacted] stock at a discount, become a shareholder and benefit in the future growth of the company. This new ESPP is in addition to the separate Employee Stock Ownership Program (ESOP) we already have in Japan.

Initially, the ESPP will be available for employees at all levels in Singapore, Switzerland and the U.S., and we will expand to more countries over time. This is a voluntary program and if you choose to participate, you can purchase [redacted] stock at a discount, in the form of American Depositary Shares listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE). For [redacted] colleagues who are eligible for our Long-term Incentive Plan (LTIP), the ESPP discount is 10% and for the rest of our colleagues, the discount is 20%.

Each ESPP savings period is six months, and the first savings period starts in October 2020. To participate, you need to enroll between August 17-September 4, 2020. You'll receive more details from our HR team shortly. In the meantime, you can learn more about it on [redacted], including an overview video.

Having no experience with stocks, can someone give me a rundown of how stock purchase programs generally work? I have a budget I stick to, but I just got a promotion/raise and will have a bit more money coming in. Do these purchases come through payroll deductions? What's a savings period, is it like you have payroll deductions that accumulate during that time frame, and then the purchase of sticks is made after that period?

And I know it will be asked: I put 16% into 401k, have no debt, and a plenty large emergency fund.

I'm also fairly certain I'm not eligible for the long term incentive program, but would have to check.