Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Do you say that because of this specific car or due to finances?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Very enlightening, kudos.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
A $4,000 volvo needs $4,000 in repairs in the first year of ownership. If you must buy a car, buy a cheap japanese econobox. Take a loan if you must.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
A Volvo needs between $1,500 and $3,000 in repairs every single year once it hits 40k miles, in my experience

Never Volvo. Just buy a Good Car and slap a male insignia on the grille if you must

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Ah, okay, that is interesting. I am not much of a car person, I very much enjoy living in a dense city and not having one. I must have had good luck with my last two, never had any expensive issues. If I decide a car is going to be needed, I'll look into Japanese economy cars.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
You'll want to maximize reliability and low cost of repair. Japanese economy cars have very high reliability and huge market share so a lot of available parts and people who know how to work on them, so they're the go-to answer for not-car-people

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

- Does $17.33 a month/208 annual for renters insurance sound decent? In SF, house from 1907, four units on the lot. I have two housemates in my unit, I do not know if they have their own insurance but we could also combine. Does a policy for the apartment cover anyone that lives here - ie is this something that we should consider a shared bill and split 3 ways? This is via State Farm. That is for $57,000 in property contents, $100,000 in liability with a $500 deductible. I have a few vintage couture pieces and some mid century furniture (no eames chairs or anything, my pieces are largely monetarily not worth much even though they're nice pieces) as well as 2 laptops, a desk top, a record collection and a few minor instruments/recording equip pieces. I like to cook so I have kitchen appliances that are decent and some art from some minorly famous friends. Should I inventory things? When I was making a lot of money (for the age/time) I spent most of it traveling and touring so most things I own are sentimental rather than $ valuable. I don't think my housemates have this insurance themselves, but I will ask.

I can't speak to the other parts, but if you're just looking for pretty barebones coverage and maybe want to gamble on what the claims experience will be like, there's a few of these newer ~dIsRuPtiVe~ insurance offerings from companies like Lemonade or Goodcover, etc. which will probably be a bit cheaper. We, in SF also, have very minimal renters coverage because our landlord required it and so we just chose the cheapest possible option which ended up being Goodcover for us. If you want a referral signup link or whatever I can dig that up so we get whatever their bonus is. I hope somebody who knows more about insurance can tell you more about how to choose one provider over another because I'm kind of curious now too.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

waloo posted:

I can't speak to the other parts, but if you're just looking for pretty barebones coverage and maybe want to gamble on what the claims experience will be like, there's a few of these newer ~dIsRuPtiVe~ insurance offerings from companies like Lemonade or Goodcover, etc. which will probably be a bit cheaper. We, in SF also, have very minimal renters coverage because our landlord required it and so we just chose the cheapest possible option which ended up being Goodcover for us. If you want a referral signup link or whatever I can dig that up so we get whatever their bonus is. I hope somebody who knows more about insurance can tell you more about how to choose one provider over another because I'm kind of curious now too.

Oh interesting! I will look into those as well then. The last time I had car insurance it was with State Farm and my parents policies for everything are through them. I had good experiences with them and they had pretty good ratings on nerdwallet as well as being listed as a low cost option. It would be more like $13 a month if I decided to buy a car and bundle the insurance, so at first glance it seemed pretty reasonable.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

DarkHorse posted:

You'll want to maximize reliability and low cost of repair. Japanese economy cars have very high reliability and huge market share so a lot of available parts and people who know how to work on them, so they're the go-to answer for not-car-people

I agree with this, especially in this area. While I don't think someone unemployed should buy a car unless it's 100% absolutely necessary, this area is practically teeming with used Priuses (Priuii?) and Camrys for sale. I've owned two Priuii (this is officially the pluralization now, gently caress you :v:) for < $7K each out here, and the only reason it's two and not one is because I was an utter dumbass and got T-boned entirely at my own fault. They're so goddamned reliable, and my wife's old 1997 Camry from NH would still be our car if it had been able to pass California emissions. Cars out here don't rust on the undercarriage the way they do back in the northeast with all the winter road salt.

But yeah, please don't buy a car if you can avoid it. Not while you lack funding.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Don't spend money you can't afford to lsoe but also it can really help TO get a job if you have a car. Employers are shitbags and they'll offhand ask "So did ya have any trouble finding parking?!" at the start of the interview to see if you took public transit or have your own car and influence their hiring decisions accordingly.

Yeah it's illegal, they don't care

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Thats fair. When I was fulltime at my old job I made about 109k with bonuses and a couple side/consulting gigs a year. I was doing more part time-2/3 time for the year prior to pandemic which is why I dont have more in savings. It was needed for my mental health. I am honestly not *that* concerned with finding a decent job when it's safe to leave the house, but I am trying to maximize my time, utility and stability at this time.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Err what? You had to spend money for your mental health? Like on therapy or on restaurants & Amazon?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
No, I mean going from working lots of overtime to working a part-2/3 time schedule was necessary for my mental health. IE it was worth the reduction in income/using some savings.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Car's already been covered but turbo AWD Volvo with 200k miles is something not even a Volvo tech would touch as a personal car.

You also probably should not buy a car. Cars are expensive, you aren't making money, and your use case is limited. Renting a car for a week or two while you're with your ma would probably be cheaper and far less hassle than buying and registering a car.

edit: renter's insurance - our policy is like $320/year or something, different part of the country so not a particularly useful benchmark. However, we had to state value on anything above a certain amount (musical instrument, some jewelry). You may also want to clearly state value on things that are less objectively valued - eg the art, record collection, musical instruments if they're not mass produced objects. A general inventory is good practice anyway.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 3, 2020

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

- Does $17.33 a month/208 annual for renters insurance sound decent? In SF, house from 1907, four units on the lot. I have two housemates in my unit, I do not know if they have their own insurance but we could also combine. Does a policy for the apartment cover anyone that lives here - ie is this something that we should consider a shared bill and split 3 ways? This is via State Farm. That is for $57,000 in property contents, $100,000 in liability with a $500 deductible. I have a few vintage couture pieces and some mid century furniture (no eames chairs or anything, my pieces are largely monetarily not worth much even though they're nice pieces) as well as 2 laptops, a desk top, a record collection and a few minor instruments/recording equip pieces. I like to cook so I have kitchen appliances that are decent and some art from some minorly famous friends. Should I inventory things? When I was making a lot of money (for the age/time) I spent most of it traveling and touring so most things I own are sentimental rather than $ valuable. I don't think my housemates have this insurance themselves, but I will ask.
Go to an independent broker. They should ask you about guns/jewelry/tools/furniture that might require additional riders. They should be able to tell you about what it will cost to add two more people. Adding my roommate to mine was basically free, and I just handled everything (I think they said it would have been more complicated if I wanted a third person, but this is in Washington, not California, so it could be different). For the policy you're mentioning, that sounds about right; I'm paying about that for $20,000 in property and $300,000 in liability (I live above a restaurant and have exposed pipes in my ceiling, wanted additional liability in case something happened with the pipes and the restaurant had to close for awhile), and the same deductible.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Since we're insurance chatting, I know I've said this before, but I haven't said it in awhile, so I'll say it again: if you have a substantial amount of stuff--especially valuable stuff--it is a good idea to once a year take a video of everything in your home, narrating and describing the things you own (especially the valuable things). Upload this video to the cloud storage medium of your choice (DropBox, iCloud, Google Drive, etc.). The new year is a great time to do this, both because it's easy to remember, and because it's right after Christmas, when a lot of people get a lot of new poo poo. You don't need to have a receipt in order to get something replaced by insurance, but it sure as poo poo helps to have some evidence that you actually owned the thing. Retain these videos from year to year, so if you happened to get robbed/your house burns down right after you take it, and the insurance company asks why you just happened to have this video from right before it happened, you can show them the videos you've taken in previous years. This does not mean you have to describe every individual item; "here are my thirty pairs of shoes" is sufficient, but your $4,000 limited edition Air Jordan/Gucci crossover sneakers bears mentioning individually.

Also, if you get something(s) particular expensive normally covered by homeowners/renters insurance (guns, jewelry, and tools are the biggies), it's a good idea to call up your insurance agent, and make sure you have coverage.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
No idea where else to ask this one. My former employer's auditors are conducting an audit of their financial statements from 2019, including the 401k. They sent me some information and are asking me to assert it's true or note any corrections. Is this common? Could I open myself up to legal ramifications by attesting one way or the other? It's not like it's a subpoena or something.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

No idea where else to ask this one. My former employer's auditors are conducting an audit of their financial statements from 2019, including the 401k. They sent me some information and are asking me to assert it's true or note any corrections. Is this common? Could I open myself up to legal ramifications by attesting one way or the other? It's not like it's a subpoena or something.

Did you promise to participate in audits? Are you an accountant? No? Keep your trap shut. "I do not work for this company and am not qualified to answer these questions." Roll your 401k money out.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Magnetic North posted:

I wouldn't answer it but thats mostly because I'm not inclined to do any former employers a favor.

I know our auditors send some of our customers letters asking them to verify things like loan balances and stuff all that happens if they don't get a response is that they send out more letters.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
Hello, I don't know what the right thread is for this, or if there is one, or if I should have made a new thread, please be gentle. I have a contractor that I've been working with. I'm in the US and they're in Denmark. I want to send them payment but

1) Not a check
2) Not international wire/ACH
3) Not paypal because the fees are too high

anyone have any suggestions on what might be the best/fastest/cheapest/most securest way to get that money to them?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

cda posted:

Hello, I don't know what the right thread is for this, or if there is one, or if I should have made a new thread, please be gentle. I have a contractor that I've been working with. I'm in the US and they're in Denmark. I want to send them payment but

1) Not a check

anyone have any suggestions on what might be the best/fastest/cheapest/most securest way to get that money to them?

Credit Card?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cda posted:

1) Not a check

Credit card or TransferWise.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

cda posted:

1) Not a check

How much do you need to pay them? International wires are I think $35 at my bank, if you are going to eat a credit card fee to pay them (a surcharge they charge you to be paid by CC, international charge fee on your CC, both?) then you should run the math on which is cheaper. Why no wires?

https://online.citi.com/US/JRS/pands/detail.do?ID=WireTransfers

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Parental debt question because I am fumbling in the dark on this one.

My father still has college debt from the 60s, and he refuses to pay off anything but the interest or tell me how much remaining debt he has. He has a LLC for my dead grandparents house, which I am 10% owner (thanks for forging my signature dad).
He has no personal savings, no other property and one bank account that also acts as his business checking. His total assets are around 10k (which 3k goes to the office rent every month).

Assuming he dies tomorrow, how is the worst the college debt can gently caress me? Assuming that the debt exceeds his liquid cash assets, would they then try to go after the LLC or any other holdings he may have on paper? Would I then be liable to pay the remainder off (obv depending on private vs federal loans).
Please base your advise on the worst possible scenario, since he refuses to inform me of the extent of his debt.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gaj posted:

My father still has college debt from the 60s, and he refuses to pay off anything but the interest or tell me how much remaining debt he has. He has a LLC for my dead grandparents house, which I am 10% owner (thanks for forging my signature dad).
He has no personal savings, no other property and one bank account that also acts as his business checking. His total assets are around 10k (which 3k goes to the office rent every month).

Assuming he dies tomorrow, how is the worst the college debt can gently caress me? Assuming that the debt exceeds his liquid cash assets, would they then try to go after the LLC or any other holdings he may have on paper? Would I then be liable to pay the remainder off (obv depending on private vs federal loans).
Please base your advise on the worst possible scenario, since he refuses to inform me of the extent of his debt.

It dies with him. Assuming you don't comingle your assets with the LLC they can't pierce that. I wouldn't worry about it.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Anything he owns they can go after, be it on paper or otherwise. They can certainly go after any of his portion of the LLC, and could probably force a sale of the house but you'd get 10% of the proceeds.

They may try to convince you to pay his debts but legally they have no right to any of your assets. When he dies they bundle all his assets and liabilities into his estate. Any debts get first crack at his assets, but once assets run out that's it.

He could die with $500 in assets and a million in debt and all that means is you inherit nothing.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Something to note is that some student loans have a death discharge clause, where they don't even get passed on to your estate. IIRC this is a thing for federal loans, and private loans may or may not have them (I think my consolidation loan from SoFi had this feature).

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

ranbo das posted:

He could die with $500 in assets and a million in debt and all that means is you inherit nothing.

aka boomer.txt

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

ranbo das posted:

Anything he owns they can go after, be it on paper or otherwise. They can certainly go after any of his portion of the LLC, and could probably force a sale of the house but you'd get 10% of the proceeds.

They may try to convince you to pay his debts but legally they have no right to any of your assets. When he dies they bundle all his assets and liabilities into his estate. Any debts get first crack at his assets, but once assets run out that's it.

Now since my father will refuse to listen to anything I say since I dont run a business I am thusly incompetent, what base level of financial professional can suss this out? Like would his real estate lawyer, accountant, or any other person be able to give the particulars a once over and give a solid answer?

If by some chance, arbitrary numbers, the LLC is values at 100 and his college debt is only 20, can I just pay the 20 myself and not have to deal with them going after the LLC?

If you want to see more of my fathers behavioral issues, check out the Things Boomers Like thread in GBS. Youll be in for a wild ride when you check my posts.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Gaj posted:

Now since my father will refuse to listen to anything I say since I dont run a business I am thusly incompetent, what base level of financial professional can suss this out? Like would his real estate lawyer, accountant, or any other person be able to give the particulars a once over and give a solid answer?

legal questions thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659

They'll be able to steer you in the right direction. My guess: an estate attorney. Not a Real Estate attorney, but an estate attorney. As in, an attorney who handles wills/probate/other after-death stuff. Their primary job is dealing with sorting out "who gets what" after people die.

Gaj posted:

If by some chance, arbitrary numbers, the LLC is values at 100 and his college debt is only 20, can I just pay the 20 myself and not have to deal with them going after the LLC?

Unless there's some other funny business, creditors generally only care about getting their money. So yes, I'm pretty sure that you can pay off creditors yourself in order to keep property from the estate. That's where you'd REALLY need an estate attorney in order to do it properly.

Personally I think your father needs to consult an attorney ASAP. That's the only way to protect his assets properly, if at all. There might be something he can do now to shuffle things around, but that's something only an attorney can do properly. Since an LLC is involved, it's going to get complicated, so don't expect it to be cheap.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DaveSauce posted:

legal questions thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659

They'll be able to steer you in the right direction. My guess: an estate attorney. Not a Real Estate attorney, but an estate attorney. As in, an attorney who handles wills/probate/other after-death stuff. Their primary job is dealing with sorting out "who gets what" after people die.

Unless there's some other funny business, creditors generally only care about getting their money. So yes, I'm pretty sure that you can pay off creditors yourself in order to keep property from the estate. That's where you'd REALLY need an estate attorney in order to do it properly.

Personally I think your father needs to consult an attorney ASAP. That's the only way to protect his assets properly, if at all. There might be something he can do now to shuffle things around, but that's something only an attorney can do properly. Since an LLC is involved, it's going to get complicated, so don't expect it to be cheap.

This is all the correct answers. Your dad is definitely not-not comingling LLC assets if he's willing to forge signatures to make you owners in some vague attempt at protecting his assets. Frankly I don't know how much effort I would put into this, it takes him participating with the estate planning attorney to get everything setup correctly.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Gaj posted:

If you want to see more of my fathers behavioral issues, check out the Things Boomers Like thread in GBS. Youll be in for a wild ride when you check my posts.

Did so, was entertained.

I am now absolutely certain that your dad, if he actually consulted an attorney and was honest and clear about everything, would insist that they made up problems that didn't exist before.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gaj posted:

Is your father currently married?

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Yes, but dont worry my mother never trusted him and they have no shared assets, no shared bank accounts, and never filed together. The only thing connecting them legally is the marriage cert, they live together, and my mothers checks pay his taxes.

She has agreed to arrange for me to get power of attorney and cut him out of any inheritance. Its a longer story but he has a failing business that he will def waste any money he receives in her passing on. She is furious at the idea of him wasting her money on office rent and then asking me for more money.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gaj posted:

Yes, but dont worry my mother never trusted him and they have no shared assets, no shared bank accounts, and never filed together. The only thing connecting them legally is the marriage cert, they live together, and my mothers checks pay his taxes.

She has agreed to arrange for me to get power of attorney and cut him out of any inheritance. Its a longer story but he has a failing business that he will def waste any money he receives in her passing on. She is furious at the idea of him wasting her money on office rent and then asking me for more money.

This immediately becomes estate planning attorney time and extremely state specific. In California for example she can't cut him out completely without his explicit consent. My wife mentioned last night that apparently in Pennsylvania there is some hosed up filial obligation law that apparently CAN pass his debts on to you, so definitely don't let him live in that state when he dies. If she's paying his tax bills then she's probably co-mingling right along that LLC. Really you should move to have yourself forced off of the LLC.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gaj posted:

Just read through your Boomer thread posts. Yeah, once you get durable general power of attorney, you need to talk to a probate lawyer ASAP. Not only for the inheritance stuff, but also for things like her long-term care, end-of-life decisions, etc. She should be making these decisions for herself now, while she still can.

Additionally, some student loans pass on to the spouse when the person with the loan dies, so watch out for that, too.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

H110Hawk posted:

This immediately becomes estate planning attorney time and extremely state specific. In California for example she can't cut him out completely without his explicit consent. My wife mentioned last night that apparently in Pennsylvania there is some hosed up filial obligation law that apparently CAN pass his debts on to you, so definitely don't let him live in that state when he dies. If she's paying his tax bills then she's probably co-mingling right along that LLC. Really you should move to have yourself forced off of the LLC.

Lots of states have filial obligation laws, but they're rarely, if ever, enforced, and I think only once has it been tested in court (in PA). Ones I've looked up tend to be very specific in the scenarios that they apply, and personal debt is not generally one of the scenarios.

Usually they revolve around support of parents if they are poor, so that they do not become a burden on the state via welfare programs, not paying their debts after they die. I think the PA case was regarding a parent who fled the country and left behind a bunch of unpaid nursing home bills or something? I dunno, you can google it.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Im already looking at the 3 closet estate lawyers, but getting them together is gonna be a next week problem as my mother is basically wheelchair bound and wont leave the house unless its to the hospital. Any recommendations for NYC?

Im in NY and as far as I can tell it is possible to cut a spouse out of inheritance, and while yes my mothers checks are paying the taxes for the LLC, her name isnt anywhere near there because she doesnt want to get involved with my fathers mental boomerism.

My mother so far as 16 bank accounts totalling 650k, a 1.5m TDA, and I have yet to double check an additional 3 banks out of the 6 total. She believes only the poor and stupid dont have a dozen accounts. She thinks that since Im a beneficiary I can go into any bank and get her bank statements just like that. When I had to hand her the phone for the 3rd bank to give authorization for me to get such statements shes said gently caress it Gaj go get PoA cause she cant even really be on the phone for long.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gaj posted:

Im already looking at the 3 closet estate lawyers, but getting them together is gonna be a next week problem as my mother is basically wheelchair bound and wont leave the house unless its to the hospital. Any recommendations for NYC?

Im in NY and as far as I can tell it is possible to cut a spouse out of inheritance, and while yes my mothers checks are paying the taxes for the LLC, her name isnt anywhere near there because she doesnt want to get involved with my fathers mental boomerism.

My mother so far as 16 bank accounts totalling 650k, a 1.5m TDA, and I have yet to double check an additional 3 banks out of the 6 total. She believes only the poor and stupid dont have a dozen accounts. She thinks that since Im a beneficiary I can go into any bank and get her bank statements just like that. When I had to hand her the phone for the 3rd bank to give authorization for me to get such statements shes said gently caress it Gaj go get PoA cause she cant even really be on the phone for long.
Is it a matter of physically holding the phone that's a problem for your mother, or just having to pay attention and talk on the phone? Any reason you couldn't just use the speakerphone feature on a cell phone? You could go to the lawyer's office, and have her on the phone.

Alternatively, some lawyers will do house calls in cases like this (I would guess that's especially common with probate lawyers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Its both, she also gets frustrated with any prolonged conversation, and has bladder control issues. Her MS along with the 12 medications and various painkillers she takes also sometimes makes her especially ill, like right now. She wont be able to talk much, is in significant pain. And at worst she may just go into a fugue state for a week or 2. On wensday she said "arrange for PoA" today she just said "no". Ill wait until shes a bit more clear headed to begin.

There is significant evidence to show she cant take care of her own finances and that her mental capacity is diminished, but she will fight that with a full lawyer if I dont take a soft touch.

Edit: sometimes she will change her mind during a phone call with a bank and the people on the other line just have to end the call because its obvious shes struggling with the choice of "Im sick and cant handle this" and "I refuse to give my son some semblance of access to manage my accounts"

Gaj fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 28, 2020