Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Personally I put money into my 401k to get my match and then everything else goes to debt. I really dislike debt though, especially non dischargeable student loans. I would prioritize retirement over my mortgage @ 3.626% interest though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Another thing to consider is the raises you will get. 3% a year on 45000 adds up faster which could help make up the difference in COL faster.

Also isn't the new employer paying for the move?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

FrozenVent posted:

It's 2014, no way he's getting a relocation allowance for a 45k job. They'd just hire someone local.

Median family income is only ~$48,000...

A civil engineer only starts off around $50,000 and even out of school all my friends were able to get a couple thousand to move from college to the job.

Probably depends what he does but at $45,000 he should at least get a little bit.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

nelson posted:

A low limit no-fee card is good for buying online. If some criminal gets the number at least you're only out 300 bucks max.

Or you are out zero in every situation.

I would keep the card open though, no reason to close it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

anne frank fanfic posted:

The thread is for everyone, whether you're a registered sugar daddy, willing to become a registered sugar daddy, or just want to browse potential sugar daddies to bail you out of your debt and poor lifestyle. Come on down and be a part of the sugar daddy megathread.

13/f/ca u?

That is what this is about right?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Michael Corleone posted:

Well I got approved for the card and it should be here in 10 days. Initial credit line is $1000, $19 isn't too much to pay for a 1 year rental. Then I'll cancel, anything REALLY WRONG WITH THAT? I don't think so, but I realize I don't know too much.

e; And it will give me a free FICO score each month, something I am really interested in.

Just call them when it is about to renew to cancel and they will wave it for a year or permanently.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You should check with the insurer if it is HDHP compliant. The minimum deductible for a single person is $1250 this year.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yeah if you back with chase and use direct deposit just walk on and say you want a freedom card. You will get one with a $2k limit pretty easily. Then just always pay it off and you are good.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I did wind up applying for a Chase Freedom card. I don't really use Amazon enough to feel drawn to their card, and I already bank with Chase so it made sense to me. From the sound of things, I still won't have a credit score at all for about six months, but after that my credit history should start to take shape somewhat.

A friend of mine is insisting that paying my balance off in full every month is a bad thing because <something about credit utilization>. How does that work? Does credit utilization depend on how long I keep an outstanding balance after the closing date?

Your friend is a loving idiot. Your score doesn't matter right now, use the card pay it off every month. Why the hell would you pay interest and the chance of fees when you don't have to?

Utilization is how much you owe vs the limit. Say you have $1000 limit. If you owe $900 when you get your credit pulled you will have a high utilization and it will count against you. Say you owe $50 the utilization will be low and your score can be higher.

Right now you just need a history at all.

Always pay your card off. Always.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Also you can get a free credit report from the 3 companies once a year. Pull one every 4 months and you can see where you stand.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

EugeneJ posted:

Call the number on the back of your card and ask

He said it was an auto loan. Look at the loan docs. It shouldn't adjust based on being a day late and if they charge you a late fee call and explain, they most likely will waive it if it is your first miss and have a history of paying on time.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Credit all day everyday. Sweet sweet cash back.

E: I just looked at the amount we put on the ole CC the last 2 years, gross. At least it is all in the budget...

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 20, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Radbot just go with you did it for the environment. Sounds good to me.

EJ, Just stop posting as you are the worst.

Move along now little doggies people with real questions need real help.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Get new card and just leave the chase one open.

But I am a bit confused, don't you just log onto chases site and make a payment using your PNC routing and account number?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

^ a better score gets you a better rate so it is somewhat important when buying a house or financing a car.

Mortimer posted:

I didn't know you could do that, and I still don't know if I can. Maybe?

Yeah go log onto chase, you can pay it in 2 seconds.

And chase checking can be fine. Never paid a fee once in 3 years, I think all you need is direct deposit.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

God Over Djinn- sorry to go back two pages but why the gently caress are your glasses so goddamned expensive?!?!? I paid ~$90 my eye exam (with dilation) and bought TWO pairs of stylish ladies designer (Guess and Gucci) glasses from Coastal.com for $99. With a year return and damage policy. What the gently caress are you buying? AND you say that's after insurance? I live in San Francisco, so this is taking into consideration the ridiculous cost of living.

I don't know how bad your eyes are but when they get really bad (my contacts were -6.5 before LASIK) you do everything you can to get the lens size down. So you get the expensive lens, the edge polishing, frames that can fit them, I always got the anti glare treatments, I am sure there are some other things. The price can get up there. Realistically being able to see and do the activities you want to do is worth the cost.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

If they started to charge the consumers process would not go down at stores and people would switch to cash. Effectively killing their business.

All the dmv's in states I have lived changed a 2.5% fee to use a card. So of course I brought my check book.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Harry posted:

2.5% fee is a small price to pay knowing that your employees can't just pocket the cash.

There are cameras everywhere there though and they give you a receipt and you are just paranoid.

Also the amount of people who still use checks at the grocery story is mind boggling.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I just do not get your point. I have my registration showing I paid in full, why would I need to pay anyone more money or her my money back????

I use a credit card for everything I can by the way. It is the only way to roll.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Madbullogna posted:

I don't doubt there is a business or two out there that decides they want to enforce that, (and in theory they should, but that's another topic, heh), they are few and far between. In ~22 years of various cards, I've never once had one refused for it at any business. (See previous post, most merchants don't care, since even if it's a stolen card they still get paid).

Edit - Ref merchants still getting paid....I think that's only true if it's an 'in-person' transaction, but not true for online and phone sales?

It is called the united States postal service. They refuse me every time. I told them look at my ID, it has my signature. I finally just sort of signed the card under my check ID.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ultimateforce posted:

I'm starting a good job with a lot of room to get higher pay and I am almost done paying off my college loans. Let the wasteful spending begin.

Why pay off the loans first? Waste away!

Are not american or what!?!?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Denver is pretty easy to do without. You would just need good friends or miss out on the mountains (that is why I own a car really).

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

GobiasIndustries posted:

My brother's credit report only has his student loans on it (which started in 2009, everything is in good standing), ~28k in total; what kind of credit cards would he likely be approved for? He isn't looking for rewards or 0%APR offers necessarily, just something he can start putting gas on to build his report a bit.

Who does he bank with? Does he have a work history and direct deposit?

If so just walk into the bank and say give me a card. If he is with chase a freedom card is almost guaranteed. It really should be that easy if he has been making loan payments for 5 years.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Go to a bank in person, 3-2-1 Visa or whatever they have now should be no big deal. If he applied online or whatever he might get denied, in person should be all set.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

It is actually only costing you the difference of what you would pay off since you can't pay the whole thing off now. You are going to pay the rest of that interest no matter what.

Granted that will compound over time etc. But from my phone trying to keep it simple.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

What bank does she use and does she use direct deposit? She should be able to get a card from that bank.

Also of you try target you can get approved pretty easily.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

If you can just go teach and make money why wouldn't you (anxiety issues and all). This is what most people do after their degree.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

SpelledBackwards posted:

Me, I'm amazed at the prospect of your spending only $8,000 across six months. I spend 2-3 times that over the same period.

Yeah that is crazy to me too...I guess you do what you have to do though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

posh spaz posted:

There's this thing called "being poor" and it's a bummer, let me tell you.

Yes but he seems to have a choice.

I was poor in college and yes rice all the time, crappy moldy apartments, etc is indeed a bummer.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

1300 a month is decently tough unless you have the perfect living situation and cheap travel to work.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

lol internet. posted:

Dumb question about buying a new car/financing..

Does 0% APR for 60 months literally mean 0 interest for 60 months?

As long as you make the payments and are approved. You usually need a rather high credit score.

If you miss a payment though....

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

That's sorted out now, so I now get to experience the joys of being in debt for the sake of building up a credit history :woop:

And yes, I plan to pay it off every month. Hopefully they send my credit card bills to the right address. Thanks for the advice on credit cards, everyone!

These two statements make no sense next to each other. If you always pay it off you will never be in debt to build credit...

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

pig slut lisa posted:

:ssh: When you use a credit card, you are indebted to the credit card company until you pay off your balance, even if you do it on time.

Not if you actually budget and you have the money and are just using them for cash back or miles or whatever. Yes you are technically correct but let's not get too crazy.

Space Gopher posted:

This is not right at all, and it's the foundation of a lot of terrible advice.

You do not have to carry a balance on a credit card to build credit. In fact, it's actively bad for your credit, not to mention your finances, to carry a balance. The best way to build credit is to pay off your credit card in full every month, because two key numbers are utilization (you want this to be as low as possible - if you're maxed out on everything you've got, you're a poor risk for additional loans and lines of credit) and number of on-time payments (of course, you want this to be a nice big number to indicate a long history of responsibility). Carrying a balance drives up utilization compared to paying it off every month.

Huh? He said he was going to be in debt to build credit and then said he was going to pay it off every month. Those 2 don't quite make sense together (unless you get all crazy technical about it).

I never suggested that he carry a balance, that is just plain stupidity.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

lol internet. posted:

Okay... since it's from a family member.. I'll just say they gave it to me as a gift? Still wondering if there are any complications with transferring it though.

This still requires a bunch of paper work. They actually only look back 3 months or so so if you have the money in the account for 6 plus months you shouldn't be asked any questions. No guarantees though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

It sounds like you have an account with direct deposit with BOA. You shouldn't have a problem getting a 1-2-3 card.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

posh spaz posted:

I'm not allowed to discuss my income so it's hard to describe my budget in absolute terms.

That is weird. Why can you not say what you make?

It is really hard to look at the percentages and give you any idea if they make sense.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

posh spaz posted:

Well, Ashcans already gave me really good feedback re: the apartment. But thanks for wheedling me.

I'm looking for somewhere in a very tight geographical area. It has to be within 2 fare zones of downtown and 3 fare zones from my work, also within walking or easy biking distance of the light rail. Market rates are 27-35% of my net. If I lived outside that zone I'd have to buy at least one, maybe two cars, which would increase the percentage spent on transport from 6% to 15-20%. So I might be able to get rent down to 20%, if I live somewhere really lovely far away, but I'd still pay more on balance when transport is included.

Also, this:

If anyone has thoughts on this, though, let me know:

I thought about setting reasonably attainable standards, then if I come in under budget I could put half the surplus into savings and half into a stupid fun stuff account, then setting the bar a bit lower for the next period.

Have you gone to the Denver thread and asked for some living advice? I can't recall. I am not sure the last time you lived here but a lot has changed in the last 5 years and your percentages mean nothing to everyone here. If you tell us Denver folk how much you want to pay for rent people will give you some solid suggestions.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

FrozenVent posted:

NFC is that thing where you just wave your credit card at the terminal and walk out with your poo poo isn't it?

It's gotten so ubiquitous here in canada that I get annoyed at places that don't have it; I can't believe the US is so backward when it comes to payment systems. Is chip and pin at least standard these days?

WTF is chip and pin (I know what it is but there is your answer)? But I swipe the ole chase visa everywhere. Never used the tap function (if it even works? no idea really, I think mastercard is more on this trend?) or my phone to pay for something.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

totalnewbie posted:

But you can only change your contribution at certain times a year, right?

Only on crappy plans. With Vanguard and can do whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The Agent posted:

My wife and I both have jobs where we are offered health insurance; she has the option to enroll in an HSA-eligible plan, I do not. The premiums for both our employers are set up in such a way that for non-HSA options, the cost to add either of us to the other spouse's plan doesn't seem to save us any money (hers doubles almost exactly by adding me, mine increases about 2.5x if I add her), and so we were planning on just having separate insurances as we have since before we were married earlier this year.

Couple questions:
- Can I use my FSA funds to pay for her medical expenses if she isn't covered by my insurance?
- If she were to go with an HSA-eligible plan and I stayed on my own, would I be able to use those funds for my medical expenses?
- Is there any real benefit to us both being under one insurance plan (if premiums are about the same otherwise)?
- Are there any good calculators available to determine which insurance option would be best for us? I've always heard that HSAs are the way to go if we have the option, however seeing roughly $6000 in deductibles staring me in the face seems a little daunting so I'm trying to wrap my head around how it could end up being better for us.

Thanks in advance for any info.

-Yes
-Yes
-No, just do whatever is cheapest. My wife is on her own (non HSA) and I am on mine (HSA).
-Not sure

http://www.chard-snyder.com/faqs/hsa-faqs2.html#FamilyMember
Can I use the money in my HSA to pay for medical care for a family member?

Yes, you may withdraw funds to pay for the qualified medical expenses of yourself, your spouse, or a dependent without tax penalty.

http://www.connectyourcare.com/cyc2/faqs/faqs-fsa.html
Can I enroll in a Healthcare FSA to reimburse my spouse’s deductible and copayment expenses? (Back to top)

Yes. All eligible out-of-pocket expenses incurred by you and your qualified dependents can be reimbursed by your Healthcare FSA, even if such dependents are not enrolled in your employer’s health plan.