Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Jows posted:

I have kids, a house, stock sales, two state returns to file, my wife is an independent consultant, and I'll still be doing mine on Free File Fillable Forms because I'm ideologically opposed to paying for tax prep. And it's not hard, just a bit time-consuming.

It's not hard except figuring out the tax adjustment or whatever for the government portion of my index fund, I can't even remember what it is but it makes no sense to me. As long as I'm just typing values from forms though it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

nelson posted:

Due to my credit union’s abysmal rates and fees, I am thinking of moving my checking to fidelity’s cash account and my savings account to their money market fund, as opposed to trying to chase rates with a HYSA of the month. Is this a valid strategy?

I was trying to figure out whether to do this or just buy treasuries directly, for my non-checking money.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Busy Bee posted:

Are there times when the yield on the secondary market becomes higher where it would be beneficial to sell the T-Bill before maturity? Or is it usually recommended to hold onto it until maturity unless you need the cash before it matures?

I'd say it's basically like stocks, the bond is worth what it's worth at any given time, whether you keep it or sell it. Performing a transaction to sell it is slightly harder than not doing so, and you may have capital gains/losses if you care about that.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Fuschia tude posted:

No, but if you're really worried about your stocks tanking due to some external event like that, you can buy puts on an extremely liquid broad market index like $spy with an expiration date after the fiscal cliff deadline, with an effective value equal to your portfolio. It's like buying insurance on your stock holdings.

If we avoid defaulting on the debt, great, you maintain the value of your investments and you're only out the price spread premium when you sell the options. If we fall over the fiscal cliff, great, you make bank when you immediately sell your vastly in-the-money options! (please don't ask about what happens to the economy and financial system after that)

How do you actually buy options? It seems complicated.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

esquilax posted:

What specifically are you asking when you say how? The trading screen through Schwab (at least) is very straightforward, the complication all comes from the fact that it's a complicated financial instrument and you need to understand the implications of all 5-10 inputs in order to not do something boneheaded.

In some brokerages (everyone except Robin Hood maybe?) you need to apply and get approved for the ability to trade options before you can actually do so. The ability to buy a call or put should be relatively easy to get access to.
The approval process is what confused me. If approval is easy I guess I just need to swallow a handful of Motrin and dive in to the paperwork.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

You need to do this on a paper account first. Options are a force multiplier for everything and have extreme foot-gun capabilities. There is a reason you need approvals. If you are pressing buttons other than buy to open and sell to close you're in over your head.

Why did you want to do options again? Recession boogeyman?

Insurance mainly.

I don't see what's so scary about basic options unless you're issuing them.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Insurance from?

Adverse price movements

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

I think you should head to the day trading thread then, as options are not newbies. :v:

Okay thanks I'll look. I never bothered with day trading because I have to preclear my transactions with work.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Can I buy a put on my house because if it loses value I'm gonna be hosed. :v:

Edit: seriously though is there a good way to protect your biggest asset, besides buying in a bad neighborhood and investing the difference in an index fund?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
What's wrong with Mint?