Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

And the student loan interest deduction isn't a credit, it's just a deduction, meaning that even if your marginal rate is 25%, you're still throwing away 75% of the 6.8% interest. It's the same argument perpetuated by people that don't understand taxes when they talk about deducting mortgage interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Is Ally really as good as it looks on paper for a checking account? No ATM fees, interest paid, free transfers, etc...am I missing some horrible catch? My main checking account bank, BMO Harris, decided to start charging fees for out of network ATM use without telling me, which doubly sucks because of how utterly terrible their ATM network is. I already have an ING/Capital One savings account that I'm not looking to move - I want to use Ally strictly as a checking account for now.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Philthy posted:

They've always charged for out of network. However, if you have more than (I think) 2,000 in either checking or savings, they reimburse you for the first 4 or 5 per month. If you're me, you use an ATM maybe once a week. You get all the money back.

This is good when you're in vegas and you see dumb poo poo like $10 fees to get money. They reimburse it all.

But if you keep a lower balance, go somewhere else.

They don't list a minimum deposit for this, but it's probably somewhere in the fine print. I have zero issue keeping a buffer that will allow me to get reimbursed all around if that's the case.

My joint account with my wife already has a physical location so worst case, I can deposit cash in the joint account, write myself a check from it, and cash it with the app.