Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I hope this is an appropriate thread for a question from my Finance homework.

The above image is from the solutions manual. Can someone please tell me how they got the IRR / Expected Rate of Return of 24.63%? Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

shrike82 posted:

It'd be funny if this thread ends up a Finance homework help thread.

Are you asking how to actually solve the equation to get 24.63 or do you not understand the solution equation?

If the former, you can use something like Solver in Excel to solve for it. If the latter, it's basically 2.5/(1+x) + 2.5/(1+x)^2 + 126/(1+x)^3 = 70 i.e. Converting the future cash flows to match present stock price where you solve for x.

It is the latter, thank you. I believe you missed a 2.5/(1+x)^3 in your equation. However, during the midterm when we won't have access to excel, how would I solve for X? Could I use a function on my TI-83? Thank you.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have a undergrad finance question here.

1) A firm requires an investment of $20,000 and will return $26,500 after one year. If the firm borrows $5000 at 7% what is the return on levered equity?

I am having a hard time with this question. The answer is 41% which I got by doing (26500 - 5350) / (20000 - 5000) - 1 = .41 but I still don't understand how that works and why I got the answer by doing that.

2) A firm requires an investment of $30,000 and borrows $10,000 at 6%. If the return on equity is 15%, what is the firm's pre tax WACC?

To solve this problem I did the following: .06(10000 / 40000) + .15(30000 / 40000) = 12.75%. The answer for this multiple choice problem was 12% according to the professor but there is also a choice of 13%. What am I doing wrong here?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Have a few finance questions that I'm having a hard time with:

1) A firm has a committed line of credit with a max of $10 million and an interest rate of 8.5% (EAR) with a certain bank. The commitment fee is 0.5% (EAR). The Firm borrows $2 million at the start of the year and then repays it at the end of the year. What is the total cost of the loan?

Answer: $210,000

2) A business is offered a $1 million line of credit for 3 months at an APR of 8%. The bank requires that the firm keep an amount equal to 12% of the loan principal in a non-interest earning account with the bank as long as the loan remains outstanding. What is the actual three month interest rate paid, expressed as an EAR?

Answer: 9.41%

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I bought a car from a good friend of mine around the $10k range and have been depositing money into his account every month. Will this raise a red flag with the bank and/or IRS?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I currently have three credit cards and trying to figure out which one(s) to get rid of

BoA Platinum Plus CC since 2009. $35 annual fee. $2000 credit limit.
BoA Alaska Airlines CC since 2013. $75 annual fee. $1000 credit limit.
Local Credit Union Visa CC since 2012. No annual fee. $1000 credit limit.

I don't need three credit cards and was thinking of canceling the Platinum Plus CC with the $35 annual fee. I would like to keep the Alaska Airlines one because I take full advantage of those benefits. However, I don't know how canceling my CC would affect my credit score. Any ideas?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 5, 2013

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Zeta Taskforce posted:

A few posts ago I told someone to avoid collection accounts because that is like napalm to credit. Closing accounts isn't. If there is an account that doesn't work for you, just close it. The financial industry has told us to be afraid of closing an account. It isn't that big of a deal.

I'm kind of curious though. Those are pretty low limits for someone who has had credit for a few years. Is your income low or your credit marginal right now?

What are collection accounts? My income is low and I've never really bothered to increase my credit limit because I've never really purchased anything over my limit. My credit score is 788 so I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem.

I started out with $300 deposit with BoA and got a measly $300 credit limit. That was about 4 to 5 years ago and I've slowly worked my way up.

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Couldn't you just cancel all three of those cards and get a miles card (or another rewards card) with/without an annual fee and a higher limit to use as your every-day card?

I have a single AmEx with cash-back rewards that I use for all of my regular purchases, besides that the only other card I carry is my debit for Aldi.

I could, but I just only recently applied and was accepted for the Alaska Airlines card and the benefits are pretty amazing even with the $75 annual fee. 25k miles after approval so a free roundtrip ticket anywhere Alaska Airlines flies too so that in itself is about $300 - $500. In addition, once a year I get a $100 companion fare meaning I can have someone travel with me for only $100, no matter the destination.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 5, 2013

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
This might be slightly off topic for this thread but I'm hoping that someone can give me some advice.

So this morning I received a call from a hospital bill debt collector and he said that I had an outstanding bill of $600 from getting blood work done in October of last year. I never receive these types of calls since I am very good about my finances so I was surprised. I remember going to my family doctor last year in October, paying a $30 co-pay, and getting blood work done and getting a prescription for some medication. What the hell is this stupid $600 lab fee that I'm not responsible for? How the hell do I take care of this? Is this an insurance issue or my doctor issue? Who do I go talk to? Thanks!

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Ashcans posted:

So the first thing you should do is get in touch with the hospital (or wait until they get back in touch with you) and tell them that you never received any invoice or itemized bill for this, and that you would like them to mail that to you immediately so that you can verify the charges. They shouldn't have any issues doing that.

The next thing you should do is get in touch with whoever your insurance was at that time, and see if you can pull a summary of your policy activity for October - you can often do this online, and it's basically a big list of stuff that was submitted to them, what they paid, what they denied, and what you are responsible for. You can use this to confirm whether they even got your bloodwork stuff, and work out why it wasn't paid.

There are a couple of options here. The first is that the hospital screwed up submitting it to your insurance, and when they didn't pay it they just passed it over to you. That's a hospital issue. The second is that they did submit it, and your insurance decided it wasn't covered. That's an insurance issue. It is also possible that its a joint fuckup - I am currently stuck in a situation where the hospital billed my insurance, my insurance paid a bunch of stuff and said x was from my deductible. Then the hospital turns around and bills me 2x. So I am in the situation of trying to get them to agree what it is that I actually owe, and I am drat sure not paying till they have that screwed down.

Thanks for the prompt response.

This is unusual because I have been seeing my family doctor for 20 years now and I have NEVER received a bill from his office. It's the usual pay the $20 - $30 copay and that's it. The bill collector I talked to on the phone said that insurance covered some of it but now I am responsible for the rest. I will get in touch with my doctors office once I receive the $600 bill (Apparently they were sending it to a wrong address so I gave them the correct one). Thank you.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm currently applying for a job that has an "Hourly Off-Scale" wage for the position. Google was not able to help me, what does off scale mean?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Very basic credit card question. I have great credit and currently have two CC's with a 25k+ limit. I've always paid my balance in full but recently have been curious on how the interest rates work.

I have one card with a balance of $3,500 with a minimum payment of $25 due on January 8th, 2014. My APR is 15.24%. If I paid the minimum $25 by January 8th, 2014, I will be charged a rate of 15.24% for the remaining balance on my credit, correct?

Also, if I pay off $2,000 of my $3,500 credit card balance by January 8th, 2014. Will I still be charged a rate of 15.24% on the remaining $1,500? On my previous credit card there was something about not being charged an interest rate on any remaining balance if paid an X amount compared to the balance or something along the lines of that.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 26, 2013

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have excellent credit and currently have three credit cards. I still have the first credit card that I built my credit through (Started out with a $300 deposit to have a $300 credit limit) - now I'm up to $50k credit limit in my other cards. My question is, the first CC that I have I never use and I am considering canceling it but I also have no annual fee on it. With that in mind, is there really a point in canceling it?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Cultural Imperial posted:

I think your credit rating is the least of your concerns at this point.

I don't understand. Won't canceling my first CC from 2009 affect my credit score along with my credit history?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
The longest running CC I have is a Bank of America Platinum card (No rewards but no annual fee) I've had since 2009. I recently received an email from Bank of America saying they are offering me a free complimentary upgrade to the Cash Rewards Bank of America credit card. No annual fee and gives me 1% / 2% / 3% cash back on certain purchases. I rarely, if ever, use this credit card since I have a few other ones I use but I am wondering if this is worth it just for the free upgrade? I doubt it'll hurt my credit score but will it make it better?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I forgot but what is that website that lets you see your Credit Score for free every year. All the Google results I see are either scams or cost money and I don't feel comfortable giving my social security number + personal information to those websites. However, I remember using a Federal Government sponsored one last year...

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm relatively okay with my money so I know what not to fall for but recently I received an offer from Chase where if I open a Chase Checking Account and deposit and hold at least a minimum of $1,000, I get a $300 bonus. There's no catch from what I can read. I currently have a BoA and local credit union account - In addition, I have two Chase credit cards so that Chase Checking Account would actually be used. Should I go ahead and open an account to get the $300 bonus or is there a catch?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Madbullogna posted:

The only thing you usually see with offers like those are that the account must be open for x months and must also have a direct deposit going into it as well. Other than that though....

Seems that the requirements are:

"To receive the $300 checking bonus: 1) Open a new Chase Total Checking account, which is subject to approval; 2) Deposit $25 or more at account opening; AND 3) Have your direct deposit made to this account within 60 days of account opening. Your direct deposit needs to be an electronic deposit of your paycheck, pension or government benefits (such as Social Security) from your employ or the government. After you have completed all the above checking requirements, we'll deposit the bonus in your new account within 10 business days. The bonus cannot be used as the opening deposit."

Also, to have the $10 - $12 monthly Chase Checking fee waived:

"Chase Total Checking has no Monthly Service Fee when you do any at least one of the following each statement period: Option #1: Have monthly direct deposits totaling $500 or more made to this account; OR, Option #2: Keep a minimum daily balance $1,500 in your checking account; OR, Option #3: Keep an average daily balance of $5,000 or more in any combination of qualifying Chase checking, savings and other balances. Otherwise a $12 Monthly Service Fee will apply in most states ($10 Monthly Service Fee for CA, OR and WA)."

So does that mean that I can go into the branch, open a new account, deposit at least $25 into the new account, and then set up direct deposit through my work within 60 days of account opening I'll get the $300 bonus. After I receive the $300 bonus, I can turn off direct deposit but if I keep a minimum of $1000 into the checking account, I won't get hit with a fee. Is that right?

Also, has anyone had any luck receiving this bonus after inputting the coupon code online? I would much rather set up this account online rather then go into a branch.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have a few credit cards and was just looking through my statement and noticed an odd charge from a month and a half ago for $60 at a Walmart in California (I live in Oregon). I always scan my statement and didn't notice it when I paid the balance on it because I do go to Walmart sometimes but I thought it was odd so I looked a little deeper into it. It was odd enough that I really had to think if I was in California around that time but I'm 100% sure I wasn't and it is a fraudulent charge. Is this normal for fraudsters to use a stolen CC for the small amount of $60 like that? It even said "In-person purchase" so I'm wondering how they could have used my CC when I've never lost it?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Quick question about credit card payments.

I always pay my credit card balance in full but wondering about this situation.

I have a $1200 balance on my CC and a minimum payment of $25 is due on June 14th. If I pay the minimum balance of $25, do I get charged interest on the remaining $1175 balance?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

SpelledBackwards posted:

...how did you think they worked, exactly?

I have no idea, I always pay my balance in full.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Currently have a Bank of America checking / savings account with no monthly fee. Currently have around $10k combined in the accounts but I have slowly been transferring it to my investment / Roth account. Anyone know what the minimum I need to keep to not get charged a monthly fee is? I'm also considering it moving it to my credit union account since I get 1.90% interest.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Currently I have around $6,000 in my 401k. My employer has matched me since I have started contributing to it. I have no plans of leaving the company but hypothetically speaking, if I do, what happens to my 401k balance? According to the "When you leave" manual, it says:

If the vested balance in your 401(k) account exceeds Five Thousand Dollars ($5,000):
Please contact the customer service department of Fidelity Investments for information on how to close out the account and receive a distribution. You may also choose to defer receiving a lump sum distribution until a later date. If you elect to defer the distribution of the 401(k) account, monies in the account will continue to be invested in the same funds with Fidelity Investments. Telephone exchanges and account balance inquiries will continue to be available to the employee through Fidelity however you will not be eligible to make further contributions to the account.

Would I be eligible withdraw my full amount of my 401k if I need the extra cash? What kind of penalty should I expect? Will the amount that my employer matched be taken away?

This link answered some of my questions: http://money.usnews.com/money/articles/2011/08/08/401k-withdrawal-mistakes-to-avoid

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 17, 2015

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Thank you, that clarifies a lot of things.

So moving forward, I'll need to figure out what the vested period is at my work. I feel like I heard something about it being a minimum of two years but I'm not positive so I'll have to double check.

I also have a investment account + Roth IRA account set up with a family friend who is a financial adviser. I'm hoping I will be able to roll it into that account that is held with TD Ameritrade... that's something I'll ask him next time I see him. Although I already contributed $2k into my $5.5k Roth IRA limit for this year so....

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I currently have a traditional 401k through Fidelity and I contribute 6% (Work matches 50%). However, I am wondering if anyone know the process for when what happens if, hypothetically speaking, I leave the company.

I spoke to HR and they said that my vested balance is below $X so I can either keep the money in the Fidelity account or have the option to move it to another qualified plan or IRA in order to defer the federal income tax and ten percent (10%) penalty.

I currently have a Roth IRA set up with my financial advisor - my understanding is that I can just transfer the funds from my Fidelity 401k to my Roth IRA to defer the tax and penalty. However, I have already contributed $2,500 to my Roth IRA this year so what will happen if my transfer balance is $4,000?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Moneyball posted:

Rolling over a 401k does not count as a contribution. So that amount will still be $2,500 for the year

From my experience, you'll want to (have to?) open up a trad IRA to roll over those funds, and if you want to convert it to Roth, you'll be on the hook for the tax on that, but no penalty.

But I could be wrong!

Okay, so if I want to rollover my traditional 401k to my Roth IRA account - I will be on the hook for the tax (Which would be around how much)>

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Basic question about my Credit Card. I always pay my balance off every month but noticed that for the payment due date the minimum balance due is $0. Usually it's $25 but this time it's $0. Why is that and can I put off paying off my balance until the next cycle?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I currently claim 0 on my W-4 Allowances so I am expecting a pretty big refund this year. I am wondering how my 401k / Roth IRA / Investment Account will impact the refund that I receive. Will I receive more or less if I deposit more money into those accounts? If my 401k / Roth IRA / investment account actually lost money this year, how will my taxes be affected?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I worked 6 months in 2014 and got $2000 on my tax return. 2015 I was still employed at the same company but worked the whole year and only got $1300 on my tax returns. Nothing has changed but why am I getting less money back?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 17, 2016

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
edit

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 17, 2016

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm going to be moving outside the country for a few years so I want to streamline my finances before I leave. My first order of business is to close my Chase checking account that I have since I don't want to pay a monthly fee if I have less than $1,500 in it. I am just planning on going to Chase, withdrawing all my money, and then closing my account. I read online that they may charge a fee to close my account? is this going to be a more complicated process than I am imagining?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
If I wanted to deposit around $10,000 - $15,000 into a friend's bank account, what implications (taxes etc) will he be responsible for, if any?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

slap me silly posted:

Can't answer this without knowing the reason. What are you paying him for? Could be anything from a gift (you owe the tax, but there probably won't be any) to a 1099 payment (he'll owe income and self employment taxes on it which could be 40% of the total). The orthogonal question is whether it's legal activity - if you guys are running drugs, that doesn't affect the tax situation but the bank is keeping transaction records so you might get tracked down.

100% legal and not related to income - paying for a down payment and he is currently out of the country so I want to directly deposit it into his bank account.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
What's the best and cheapest way to transfer a couple hundred dollars to a Spanish bank account? I've never done an International Transfer before so I do not know where to go. I checked the transfer fees through Bank of America and the fees are ridiculous. BoA charges a $35 transfer fee and their exchange rate is pretty bad. Exchange rate I understand but the transfer fee seems a little high. I'm sure there's a cheaper way to go about it. Time is not an issue. Any suggestions?

edit: I just checked Money Gram and seems that there exchange rate is 1:1 and there is only a $25 transfer fee. Seems like the best option so far. Transferwise seems like a great option as well.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 25, 2016

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
One of my bank accounts is with a local credit union and I get 4.07% dividend/interest for the first $500 and then 2.44% after. I only have around $1,500 in that account right now. I know that those are high interest rates but I'm considering withdrawing my money out of there and putting it in my investment account or Roth IRA with my financial advisor. I rarely have activity with that credit union and they require me to do X Y and Z every month to retain that account. I'm also going to be moving soon and I would rather not deal with it. What do you think?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jul 13, 2016

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I hope this my question is applicable to this thread.

I'm going over a financial statement for a telecommunication company in the United States and noticed a few lines under intangible assets that I wanted to understand what they meant:

Customer Relationships
Favorable lease contracts
Game titles

Could someone clear up what the above intangible assets means for a telecommunication company? Thank you.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have a few very basic questions about how US Treasury purchases works on Fidelity. I watched a few videos online and my basic understanding is that there are "auctions" where you can purchase some US Treasury with a estimated yield that matures at a certain date. I also understand that usually US Treasury purchases are usually better than locking up the cash in a CD since with the CD your money is locked in for that time period but with a US Treasury, you can sell it at any time.
  1. If I purchase a US Treasury at an estimated 4.70% yield from Fidelity with a 1 year to maturity, what happens if I decide to sell it early since I need the cash?
  2. Is the 4.70% yield guaranteed or can the rate vary?
  3. Do I need to do anything if I purchase a US Treasury on Fidelity except to place the buy order? I assume that at the end of the maturity date and if I choose "No" on Auto Roll, the cash becomes available in the account I purchased it in.
  4. I see that the 3+ year long US Treasury's on Fidelity have a frequency of "semi-annual" - does this mean that the on a semi-annual basis, the interest of the treasury turns into cash in my account or am I not allowed to touch the cash until the treasury matures?
  5. Would this also be the case for some new issue CD's I see on Fidelity that have a frequency of monthly / semi-annual?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Ham Equity posted:

You have to buy them through the worst website in the world, but I would suggest looking at iBonds instead:

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/savings-bonds/i-bonds/

You can only buy $10,000, you can't redeem it before 12 months, if you redeem it before five years, you lose the last three months of interest, and you can only buy $10,000 worth per year, but the interest rate is pretty drat good right now (6.89%).

Thanks for the suggestion :) I already purchased some recently so I wanted to explore other options, especially on Fidelity.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Just to be insanely pedantic, there are a few terms that you are using sort of interchangeably that are actually different. There is a secondary market for bonds, which makes this important.
1) Yield is the return on investment from the bond.
2) Rate is what the bond pays relative to its face value over the term. Some treasuries are sold at a discount to face, some treasuries are sold as coupon bonds. Anything 52 weeks and shorter is sold at a discount to face. Everything longer is sold as coupon bonds with periodic interest payments.

The reason these two are different is that over time the rate changes on treasuries, but all treasuries (edit of the same duration) have equal risk. Therefore, if you have a T-Note with a high coupon rate relative to current rates, it will be sold at a premium to par, meaning that the yield is the same as a newly-purchased equivalent bond. The opposite is also the case; treasuries with low coupon rates relative to current rates will be sold at a discount to par to equalize yield. This is only important in the secondary market; yield and rate are the same for bonds that are held to maturity.

To answer your actual questions
1) If you sell a T-bill early, it is sold on the secondary market. Precisely how much you receive depends on how long you held the bond and what current yields are. For duration, if you held the 52-week T-bill bond for 1/4 of the term, you'll get 1/4 of the yield. Yields are market based and can vary.
2) The rate is fixed for the term of the bond. If you hold a bond to maturity, the rate and yield are the same. If you choose to sell the bond on the secondary market before maturity, the yield will vary based on market rates. See above.
3) No, you can just buy the bond. It works slightly differently for coupon bonds versus discount bonds. For short term discount bonds, you won't receive anything until maturity, on which you will receive face value of the bond. For coupon bonds, you will receive regular interest payments.
4) Semi-annual frequency means that it is a coupon bond that pays every 6 months. Coupon interest payments are made in cash to your account. You can do whatever you want with this cash.
5) I can't speak specifically to those CDs but generally yes, a monthly frequency means your interest is paid every month, and semi-annual would mean every 6 months.

Thank you for the clarification.

Let's say I put $1,000 into a 3 month T-Bill with an expected yield of 4.5. At the end of the 3 month period, I will have $1,045. If I hold this T-Bill to maturity, then the yield and rate are the same but if I choose to sell it, then the yield will change since I will have to sell it on the secondary market. Are there times when the yield on the secondary market becomes higher where it would be beneficial to sell the T-Bill before maturity? Or is it usually recommended to hold onto it until maturity unless you need the cash before it matures?

Right now, it seems that on Fidelity the yields on the T-Bills secondary market are higher than the "new issue" T-Bills - what's the difference here and why would I not want to buy it from the secondary market?

And besides the yield, maturity rate, pay frequency, and call protection - is there anything else I should consider or note before purchasing T-Bills?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
How do you expect the upcoming US debt default discussion to affect the markets? I read that in the past when this has happened, the market always goes down a month / a few weeks prior.

I know that one should not time the market but is this upcoming event something one should consider when buying into the market?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
If 100% of an Rollover IRA is in one ETF and there is a automatic RMD withdrawal setup, do the gains from the ETF being sold for the RMD be taxed?