Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Is this real? This cant be real, right? I stopped reading the Garfield Eats thread when Nate got into COVID denial. It looks like things have escalated in a hilarious direction.

What does your heart tell you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sooooo entergaging!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Speaking of RH, Im getting read to transfer over to a new broker in the week ahead. Im still super new to trading but it seems like most other brokers offer apps that provide a lot more flexibility and tools, most of which I dont yet understand but would like to have access to so I can start to learn. TD Ameritrade's Thinkorswim platform in particular seems like a good choice here. The only major disadvantage I see aside from potential information overload is TD charges $.65 for options contracts. Is there any other disadvantage to using Thinkorswim over RH I am missing?

Ive also considered Fidelity, which seems very well regarded as well. Its just the Thinkorswim platform in particular seems to be a very good choice for new traders who are willing to take the time to learn the interface.

fidelity has a program similar to thinkorswim called Active Trader Pro. supposedly it has basically the same features

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
One of my coworkers - a well educated middle manager - decided to cash out his 401k last year and throw it all at Bitcoin.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pillowpants posted:

One of my coworkers - a well educated middle manager - decided to cash out his 401k last year and throw it all at Bitcoin.

He is going to make a little bit of money and be forever validated in his decision forever, even as he loses every cent.

a friend in need
Jul 7, 2018

jokes posted:

He is going to make a little bit of money and be forever validated in his decision forever, even as he loses every cent.

I bet you said that when it was $1000 too.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

a friend in need posted:

I bet you said that when it was $1000 too.

It was true then, and still true now. Just because some people do win the lottery doesn't mean that it's a good idea to spend your life savings buying lottery tickets.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Cathy Ark bought a tesla and lots of botcoins so we like them both now

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

UnfurledSails posted:

It was true then, and still true now. Just because some people do win the lottery doesn't mean that it's a good idea to spend your life savings buying lottery tickets.
There is a difference between pointing out something is irresponsible and claiming that everyone participating is going to fail.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I do believe that the one thing everyone in this thread was in agreement on was please, for the love of god, let's not start another pro-crypto / anti-crypto argument in this thread.

Please. Do it for the children.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Sundae posted:

I do believe that the one thing everyone in this thread was in agreement on was please, for the love of god, let's not start another pro-crypto / anti-crypto argument in this thread.

Please. Do it for the children.

look man saturday is bitcoin day might as well make it official now

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

And another 2.5m PLTR on Friday.

With any luck it hits $30 again next week.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
You'll regret saying that when dogecoin replaces the US Dollar

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Jokes, what are your trades! Besides being heavy on snark, hot takes, and inability to digest new information. Maybe we can match them up against Corleone's.

I've still got hundreds of Jan 22 GME 5 (and 4.5 and 3.5) puts, as well as 14 short call spreads on them for next month at 780/800. Around a 5% return on those, unless they get squoze to 1K, then I'll be in here crying. Both situations still seem to be extremely unlikely (as in <1%) chance of happening, so any return above that is +EV. I'll be putting more orders in for the spreads on monday, see if I can get anything filled close to 5% return on risk. People shouldn't be able to gently caress up and enter these the wrong way unless you somehow got approved for naked calls, but don't try to do this if its like your first options play. 5% in 3 weeks isn't a lottery ticket, but its how you can "beat the index" by taking on some additional risk (if you believe that risk is too highly valued).

Maybe this thread would be a lot better again if people would actually post some of their positions and why they are in them.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I love that this is as deep as ARK's "active management" risk hedging strategies go

Just... "buy the dip" on the same 3-4 stocks whose backs must hurt from carrying the entire ARK portfolio.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Here's a crypto topic that should be uncontentious. BTC as a sentiment proxy before ES and NQ opens again tomorrow. Right now it's up around 4% since markets closed, will it predict a green or red futures open?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Leperflesh, I enjoyed the posts you made for Corleone. They’re reassuring for me as I slowly make my way to a proper plan.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Baddog posted:

Maybe this thread would be a lot better again if people would actually post some of their positions and why they are in them.

My positions are SPY 390 calls for next week. I am in them because things are supposed to go up. Thank you for coming to my TED talk, please like and subscribe.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What's everyone's thoughts on 3D printing stocks? I see that they shot up in January and are now falling, but looking it up I can't find out why. I always saw 3D printers as replacing many things in industrial manufacturing and for eventually being for consumer use.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

What's everyone's thoughts on 3D printing stocks?

I tried it once, but I couldn't get anyone at the exchange to accept them.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

punk rebel ecks posted:

What's everyone's thoughts on 3D printing stocks? I see that they shot up in January and are now falling, but looking it up I can't find out why. I always saw 3D printers as replacing many things in industrial manufacturing and for eventually being for consumer use.

What “things” do you see it replacing in industrial manufacturing? How is it an improvement on the current methods?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

3.2 million. 2.5m in K and 800k in W I believe

Also, gently caress K-1s. They don’t import into TurboTax online and I’m dumb with taxes, so I don’t know what the gently caress any of the info online is talking about. Just give me an idiots guide that says look at x, enter x here. Look at Y, enter Y here. Most of it I stumbled through, but there’s a form asking for stuff that’s not explained on the K1, so I don’t know what to enter. I don’t want to pay a CPA because I can’t figure out how to report $89 in distributions :argh:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Baddog posted:

What are folks' rule of thumb for whether or not to use the automatic dividend reinvestment option?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Honest question, does anyone believe in the company Palantir or their mission and work? Or is this a blind “I will try to profit blindly off a degenerate company of assholes?”

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Shammypants posted:

Honest question, does anyone believe in the company Palantir or their mission and work? Or is this a blind “I will try to profit blindly off a degenerate company of assholes?”

It's the latter. It's an ugly business of increasing surveillance and fascism-enabling.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Flowers for QAnon posted:

What “things” do you see it replacing in industrial manufacturing? How is it an improvement on the current methods?

3D printing is excellent for making prototypes before companies fully commit to a product. It can also be useful for people printing various toys and items to sell for their small business instead of ordering stuff from say Alibaba. I can also see people using it for general consumer use as they can print replacement items for things that are lost or broken (the back clip of your tv remote) or just to print children's toys or small models to decorate their room.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

FistEnergy posted:

It's the latter. It's an ugly business of increasing surveillance and fascism-enabling.

This.

I personally wouldn't touch them nor want to fund them, even if they made me money. Same with Facebook stock or some poo poo.

It's also why I am not rich rite

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

punk rebel ecks posted:

3D printing is excellent for making prototypes before companies fully commit to a product. It can also be useful for people printing various toys and items to sell for their small business instead of ordering stuff from say Alibaba. I can also see people using it for general consumer use as they can print replacement items for things that are lost or broken (the back clip of your tv remote) or just to print children's toys or small models to decorate their room.

Yes, but none of what you just said applies to scaling and industrial manufacturing

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Red posted:

What are folks' rule of thumb for whether or not to use the automatic dividend reinvestment option?

I see no discernible reason why you wouldn’t want to do it.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

FistEnergy posted:

It's an ugly business of increasing surveillance and fascism-enabling.

This is the reason it's considered undervalued IMO. With the rising tide of fascism and the liberal approach of 'this is - fine monitor the populace more' their tech is going to be used more and more. It's disgusting and I want nothing to do with them.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Yes, but none of what you just said applies to scaling and industrial manufacturing

Supposedly, the race is on among circuit board 3D printers. Whichever 3D printing company/ies can get 'em off the production line cheaply and and quickly stand to make a fortune compared to current processes.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Baddog posted:

Jokes, what are your trades! Besides being heavy on snark, hot takes, and inability to digest new information. Maybe we can match them up against Corleone's.

I've still got hundreds of Jan 22 GME 5 (and 4.5 and 3.5) puts, as well as 14 short call spreads on them for next month at 780/800. Around a 5% return on those, unless they get squoze to 1K, then I'll be in here crying. Both situations still seem to be extremely unlikely (as in <1%) chance of happening, so any return above that is +EV. I'll be putting more orders in for the spreads on monday, see if I can get anything filled close to 5% return on risk. People shouldn't be able to gently caress up and enter these the wrong way unless you somehow got approved for naked calls, but don't try to do this if its like your first options play. 5% in 3 weeks isn't a lottery ticket, but its how you can "beat the index" by taking on some additional risk (if you believe that risk is too highly valued).

yes, this thread would be better if people discussed positions!

Fun money: Straight cash -- so boring! I closed out my CSPs on those very same GME puts earlier this week (as baddog already knows), luckily before last week's GME mania. Also closed a long put on IWM for a profit. Thus, surprisingly, I am just cash in my fun money and (other than those options above) have been for over a week. Current fun money watchlist includes MNST, COST, PG, WMT, OSTK, PLTR (selling puts?), RDFN, TWTR, SQ, and VSTO. Need to do some more analysis.

Retirement accounts: ~38% cash, ~37% SCHX, ~25% VEA (or equivalent funds) for over a week, too. Looking for what/when to invest back in on all fronts; basically a lot of #fintwit and economic data series reading so far today. Giving real hard looks @ SMH, FVAL, and (back into) RSP for the non-fun-money portfolio. ARKF might make it back into my fun money portfolio but will have to continue its breather from the retirement funds (thanks for the profits, ARKF).

Sometime this year I anticipate investing in VDC and VPU... those are very oversold right now. Gettin' killed by inflation fears and bond movements.

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008

melon cat posted:

I love that this is as deep as ARK's "active management" risk hedging strategies go

Just... "buy the dip" on the same 3-4 stocks whose backs must hurt from carrying the entire ARK portfolio.
Their strategy is the equivalent of some random idiot reading bot-generated "XXXX will be the next AAPL" articles and going :thinkdorm: 'yep that sounds good I'm all in' except that random idiot is a $4 trillion hedge fund that the new generation of finance bros worship and follow into trades.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Cacafuego posted:

Also, gently caress K-1s. They don’t import into TurboTax online and I’m dumb with taxes, so I don’t know what the gently caress any of the info online is talking about. Just give me an idiots guide that says look at x, enter x here. Look at Y, enter Y here. Most of it I stumbled through, but there’s a form asking for stuff that’s not explained on the K1, so I don’t know what to enter. I don’t want to pay a CPA because I can’t figure out how to report $89 in distributions :argh:

Sup working on taxes buddy.

I need to get some information from the IRS for my accountant, and apparently they can't verify my phone? So they want to physically mail me a code, like its loving 1980.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

In my opinion, 3D printing is about here:

on the Gartner hype cycle.

It is definitely for consumer use, lots of consumers have them such as this excellent youtube account. But they don't make that much useful stuff, or solve hunger by 3D printing food as the most frothing hype would spout. From day 1 it was obvious that it wasn't for mass manufacturing, but one shot uses where complex shapes of monochrome brittle plastic* matters more than time and unit cost. It still is and always will be. It will always be faster to write gently caress with a stamp than with a pen, unless you are writing gently caress a mere handful of times.

Additive manufacturing is as old as pottery. Computer controlled subtractive manufacturing is about as old as the computer. Computer controlled additive manufacturing is new, but it just added a little bit to a very big game, it didn't change the game. So 3D printing stocks are in the right place wherever they are, it's a hype that came and went and now they are a niche product and an intangible idea in the public domain that everyone can make use of without paying the companies traded as "3D printing stocks".

* caught this in the preview. This is where some would chime in "actually they can do multi material etc now". Yes, 3D printing can do that, but that is simply approaching regular manufacturing while trading away the benefits of rapid prototyping.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Baddog posted:

Sup working on taxes buddy.

I need to get some information from the IRS for my accountant, and apparently they can't verify my phone? So they want to physically mail me a code, like its loving 1980.

Lol, I had to do this last year.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

jeeves posted:

This.

I personally wouldn't touch them nor want to fund them, even if they made me money. Same with Facebook stock or some poo poo.

It's also why I am not rich rite

Yeah, I've been morally against taking a position in Palantir even though I do think they're going to be a big deal. I've started looking more at software companies that are active in info sec, securing endpoints and what not which led me towards Absolute Software which also seems like an industry ready for a lot growth as more and more offices are permanently going remote now.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 28, 2021

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
About positions, I'm very boring and only have like 5% of my cash somewhere other than ETFs.

Few hundred in RDSA, (Royal Dutch Shell), an oil corp that was hit hard by covid. They've been pivoting to renewables for a while though, and they've been doing well lately (I bought ~100 shares at 11 euros, 16.90 now)
2k in Apple, bought in at an avg of 129 USD, not my best move but I've held on to this stock before and will do so again now because there's not really something I want cash for right now.
Few hundred in Pinterest (ARPU of 1 dollar so lots of room for monetization there, betting on white girls here), got in at 78 USD.
I tossed some change at NDRA/CRTX because why not, but NDRA is an instant sell for me if they get FDA approval, because I just don't think liver scanning is an incredible market (especially since nobody's fuckin' upgrading their equipment for that during covid, at least not over here).

I sold off a lot of stuff after the bounce back from the covid crash in 2020, put that into ETFs, and stopped looking at them. Something something risk tolerance.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

please knock Mom! posted:

About positions, I'm very boring and only have like 5% of my cash somewhere other than ETFs.

ETFs are positions too, post those! :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
As for positions I just started doing this a month and a half ago with money outside my actual real savings which is in a Balanced Portfolio with Tangerine that does something like 6% growth a year. Obviously not working with the kind of money you guys are but this is where I'm at currently. All TSX stocks except Build A Bear which I moved half of what I had in Suncor off of to stem some loses over Thursday and Friday. Will be filling Suncor back up this week with my next deposit though.