Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Yes, but none of what you just said applies to scaling and industrial manufacturing

There are some industrial manufacturing processes that would simply not exist or be possible without additive manufacturing, for example the Czinger. I can see cars and airplanes moving to 3d printing much sooner rather than later.

EDIT - If by 3D stocks you are targeting poo poo like the MakerBot or whatever, then yeah I agree, retail 3d printing is a trash gimmick for the foreseeable future. I would instead look at traditional robotics companies like kuka and industrial 3d printers like slm solutions, you know... poo poo that can actually build a car by itself.

I don't know enough about the industry to buy stock on any of these companies, except for poo poo like haas if it went public, but enough to know that this is eventually where manufacturing will end up in.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

nightwisher posted:

I don't wanna poo poo completely on a person who's clearly in over their head, blinded by WSB-inspired euphoria of the wealthy lifestyle and naively stubborn but Michael Corleone seriously you don't have the right state of mind to get into trading at this point and the way you post, if it's at all similar to your thought process IRL indicates you're going to fall squarely into the 90% of retail traders who lose it all on ridiculously poorly informed plays.

Take it from a self-professed idiot who's only dived into stocks in the last month, you're dumb money unless you put serious work into learning how the markets works and how to apply your own + others research into a strategy that balances risk and return safely, and even then you can easily get burnt. Retail traders are by and far the easiest people to part money from. I got lucky at first with some nice gains on stock picks that were essentially random, felt great and then tried to enact some poorly-conceived strategy and lost all my initial gains through bone-headed and impulsive trades. I realised quickly that as an uninformed trader, making returns through the markets is possible but making losses is reliable. Ive since spent every waking moment learning as much as possible from as many sources as possible, and I realize I've still got years and years to go before I'm anything but a rank amateur.

Even if it's just "play money" as people often refer it to, losing money because you're acting irrationally is a huge waste of time and capital. The whole point of this is to act smart and multiply money. You'd be better off spending the cash on your vices otherwise, at least that way you'll probably have more fun overall.

For real, it’s obnoxious to dismiss people’s advice by saying poo poo like “oh it’s just fun money haha!”, even with fun money you don’t go to a blackjack table and hit on 17. In fact, that poster should just start playing poker. I played some last night and won enough in a couple of hours to make up for the money wall st owned me for this week. If you want to gamble to double up quickly(that loving post asking about Forex and futures.... smh) just start playing poker, or probably better for you, roulette.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

this is pretty amusing even for reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/investing/comments/lt5jrq/dividend_stock_carry_forward_trade_yielding_700/

quote:

So here is the trade:

I took out a $500k margin loan at Interactive Brokers (“IB”)
The interest rate is roughly 1.25% (yes, that is correct, 1.25%)
I used the proceeds from the margin loan to purchase $500k in ETV (Eaton Vance Tax-Managed Buy-Write Opportunities Fund) which is a Closed-End Fund
My purchase price in ETV is $14.80
The fund pays a monthly dividend of $0.1108, which equates to a 9.0% yield
The interest on the margin loan is ~$520/month
The dividend income is $3,743/month
This nets me $3,223 in income

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ogarza posted:

I can see cars and airplanes moving to 3d printing much sooner rather than later.

One of the biggest shakeups in car manufacturing lately, and I assume we are talking about making mass copies of a metal car shape, is Tesla's mega casting on the Model Y. That's moving in the opposite direction of 3D printing, or perhaps I should say orthogonal direction, by relying more on the shape being in the tooling and less in the process.

You say you "can see" cars and airplanes moving in this direction...care to expand with some examples? Could be that you've just rubbed your eyelids too hard.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

jeeves posted:

This.

I personally wouldn't touch them nor want to fund them, even if they made me money. Same with Facebook stock or some poo poo.

It's also why I am not rich rite

I was under the impression that the companies typically don't make money from their stocks besides selling shares. It's why Gamestop hasn't benefited from this whole fiasco.

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Yes, but none of what you just said applies to scaling and industrial manufacturing

I guess I used the wrong words in my initial post but what I responded with is why I think 3D printing will be viable in the future. Unless you disagree.

Ola posted:

In my opinion, 3D printing is about here:

on the Gartner hype cycle.

It is definitely for consumer use, lots of consumers have them such as this excellent youtube account. But they don't make that much useful stuff, or solve hunger by 3D printing food as the most frothing hype would spout. From day 1 it was obvious that it wasn't for mass manufacturing, but one shot uses where complex shapes of monochrome brittle plastic* matters more than time and unit cost. It still is and always will be. It will always be faster to write gently caress with a stamp than with a pen, unless you are writing gently caress a mere handful of times.

Additive manufacturing is as old as pottery. Computer controlled subtractive manufacturing is about as old as the computer. Computer controlled additive manufacturing is new, but it just added a little bit to a very big game, it didn't change the game. So 3D printing stocks are in the right place wherever they are, it's a hype that came and went and now they are a niche product and an intangible idea in the public domain that everyone can make use of without paying the companies traded as "3D printing stocks".

* caught this in the preview. This is where some would chime in "actually they can do multi material etc now". Yes, 3D printing can do that, but that is simply approaching regular manufacturing while trading away the benefits of rapid prototyping.

Thank you. :)

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 27, 2021

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

What could possibly go wrong...

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Ola posted:

One of the biggest shakeups in car manufacturing lately, and I assume we are talking about making mass copies of a metal car shape, is Tesla's mega casting on the Model Y. That's moving in the opposite direction of 3D printing, or perhaps I should say orthogonal direction, by relying more on the shape being in the tooling and less in the process.

You say you "can see" cars and airplanes moving in this direction...care to expand with some examples? Could be that you've just rubbed your eyelids too hard.

sure mega casting has its advantages, like price and speed, but when you want to optimize weight/performance then the only solution is 3d printing, there is no machining process that can get you the shapes and mechanical properties required, there is a market for both, for now 3d printing might be expensive but it is still relatively new.

Sure you can make a cheaper version of this rotor and caliper without 3d printing, but at double the weight and half the performance, since the shape is impossible to achieve using any other manufacturing method.

Also not sure Tesla would be the example I would use, since they have some of the worst quality problems in the industry. The 'shakeup' was they wound a way to make poo poo cheaper, not better. Cool tech and nice design, though.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 27, 2021

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

punk rebel ecks posted:

I was under the impression that the companies typically don't make money from their stocks besides selling shares. It's why Gamestop hasn't benefited from this whole fiasco.

Stock also gives people the idea that the company is successful in our dumb culture.

I'd rather Palintir be burned to the ground for the simple fact of permanently making GBS threads on a Tolkien reference and also that Peter Thiel needs to be staked through the heart like the vampire that he wishes he was.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ogarza posted:

... but when you want to optimize weight/performance ...

Give me an example where unit cost and production volume doesn't matter. Formula 1?

e: slamming Tesla in the rest of your post misses the post, the rest of the car industry is even further away from the 3D printing you are arguing for, at every level of quality.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Ola posted:

Is there any info about cost and build time for the casting die for one of these things?

Also getting in a fender-bender and having to replace half your car.

e: vvvv you are never going to 3D print the 100s of parts/hour you can die cast or injection mold.

Tokyo Sex Whale fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 27, 2021

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Ola posted:

Give me an example where unit cost and production volume doesn't matter. Formula 1?

e: slamming Tesla in the rest of your post misses the post, the rest of the car industry is even further away from the 3D printing you are arguing for, at every level of quality.

I never said today, I'm saying that the scale will come eventually, bringing the cost down.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

People ITT acting like PLTR is the only bad company out there and freely invest in other companies that are likely just as harmful to people/the earth.

Might as well just not invest at all.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Is there any info about cost and build time for the casting die for one of these things?

I don't have anything at hand, but it's safe to assume, as it is with all mass manufacturing, that it takes a lot of units to pay off the investment. And with complex manufacturing, it's not enough to simply make the thing, it also has to fit other things, and economically you should sub-optimize it so it doesn't make things super fast at a needlessly high cost etc etc.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Also getting in a fender-bender and having to replace half your car.

That's been the case for about 20 years anyway. But if your mega casting is broken, in theory the part is very cheap since the factory can be chonking them out like bottle corks.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Cacafuego posted:

People ITT acting like PLTR is the only bad company out there and freely invest in other companies that are likely just as harmful to people/the earth.

Might as well just not invest at all.

Yeah there is some kind of dissonance going on with traders. Like we’re all trying to piggy back off of some of the worst evil in the world to make a buck. I don’t know how you can pretend youre doing it ethically.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

People draw their own ethical lines. They will be in different places for different people. Seems like a pretty basic concept.

Like I personally won't buy individual prison company stocks but I also realize that some of my vroad market holdings for retirement probably contain some small percentage of prison stocks.

If you have zero stocks you wouldn't buy then congrats I guess that's where your ethical lines are about stocks.

For my non retirement stocks I'm just in CRTX, NDRA, and maybe something else??? but my internet is being crap right now and will barely load the forums. Most of my gambling money is in SPACs right now.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

What inspired me to ask the question is that it’s become a Reddit darling for traders, and I am surprised more people weren’t hyped to make money off their drop recently instead. Tesla I can the undeserved fanboying and the misguided belief it will save the world but Palantir should be at best neutral online rather than having as many boosters as it does.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Almost everyone has already decided to privacy whore themselves out to apple, facebook, google, amazon, valve, and free apps anyway. Might as well hope PLTR makes me some money.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
If you won a smartphone, don't kid yourself, you don't value your privacy.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

tangy yet delightful posted:

People draw their own ethical lines. They will be in different places for different people. Seems like a pretty basic concept.

Like I personally won't buy individual prison company stocks but I also realize that some of my vroad market holdings for retirement probably contain some small percentage of prison stocks.

If you have zero stocks you wouldn't buy then congrats I guess that's where your ethical lines are about stocks.

For my non retirement stocks I'm just in CRTX, NDRA, and maybe something else??? but my internet is being crap right now and will barely load the forums. Most of my gambling money is in SPACs right now.

Nah you’re right, there is indeed a line for me, like as you mentioned prison stocks are something I wouldn’t touch even if I could make some returns on it. I didn’t really mean to come across as an rear end in a top hat. Was more just thinking about how most public companies have gotten to this point through some definite evil.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
You can make some ethical compromises without making them all

Reminds me of that "lol you got the deluxe spicy mcnugget sandwich with a DIET coke?!" as if 1,000 calories of salt and fat isn't better than 2,000 calories of salt, fat, and HFCS

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Companies generally have the option to create shares of their company more or less out of thin air, which is how they benefit from a high stock price.

A company starts out as private and usually pays for growth via debt or private loans. But if they decide to go public, they'll go through an Initial Public Offering (IPO), where they create the first batch of shares to be sold to the public and collect all the money from the sales. Basically, think of each share as a small loan that eventually has to be paid back. Issuing shares to take out a loan is the whole point of listing on the market.

'Stock trading' as most people know it is just a secondary market, like buying used items. It doesn't directly matter to the company, since we're just selling IOU notes to each other for various prices.

If a company is making a lot of money, they'll do a share buyback, which is effectively just paying part of the loan back for anyone who will sell their shares back to the company. This usually happens when the price is low enough that the company thinks they can get more value by paying back the loan rather than growing the company. This is usually good for the shareholders because it means each share is worth a bigger piece of the pie and suggests the company is doing really well as-is.

At the other end, companies can do what's known as a Secondary Public Offering (SPO), where they add to their loan by creating more shares and selling them. They can also create and sell special Options known as Warrants, which also creates new shares if they're used by the buyer. This is usually bad for the shareholders short-term, because each existing share is diluted by the new ones, but it means the company now has more money available to grow (which can be better long-term). The higher the share price, the more money the company gets per share when they create new ones.

In the case of Gamestop, they'd be really smart to issue more shares at the inflated price. Why they don't is a mystery, but it suggests that they don't want to take out more loans because they have no actual plans to improve their business.

Zerstorung fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 27, 2021

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Yah, wow.

One of the comments points out that the fund he is doing this with is returning a good chunk of capital as "dividends", so he's really leveraging up to try to take advantage of a 1% or less difference, and the risk he's assuming is way too much for that.

Interactive brokers does have really low margin rates though, wow! Etrade starts at 9% and only gets to 5.5% after a million, its kind of robbery (I don't actually borrow on margin, just use the buying power to enable selling puts).

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Le Saboteur posted:

I've started looking more at software companies that are active in info sec, securing endpoints and what not which led me towards Absolute Software which also seems like an industry ready for a lot growth as more and more offices are permanently going remote now and.

I've been looking at this since last year as well. It only came to my intention because of companies I work for using the services. I've used Microsoft and Okta for Identity Management (and now I realize I've conflated endpoint security with identity management). Didn't see too much to invest there as far as public companies go and I already had Microsoft.

I don't have much direct experience with info sec but I'd love to learn more or just get opinions from people who actually interact with it more.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Some dude got pissy at me for not posting positions but that dude straight up hates me I think. He did call me a grandpa for not buying bitcoins. Still he had a good idea: Posting positions here is cool and good.

The candles that burn twice as bright last half as long. And like noble phoenixes we should burn out and rekindle together

That being said, when there’s a series of red days I generally avoid day trading individual stocks and Hoover up some ETFs, AAPL/blue chips, or SPY calls a few weeks out.

My brokerage account is mostly cash right now except for

-VTI that’s all currently red as expected and I keep DCAing. Worst case scenario the market full-on crashes and I have to wait a long time to get my money back. But I don’t think that will happen.
-a handful of OTM SPY calls expiring in April
-AAPL@120 (and a smaller amount @125)
-AAPL 130 calls expiring late March (eek)
-PLTR@44 that I regret and am probably going to hold onto so that I avoid putting money into any other meme things
-JNJ@157
-PFE@36
-BA@197

Last week I lost 4% total portfolio value which is.. fine I guess

Mostly I’ve been doing taxes and IRA junk and this last week has been good since I decided to step away from blue chips in my retirement account the week earlier and have been instead dumping those profits into VTI

I am very very boring

jokes fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 28, 2021

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Baddog posted:

Sup working on taxes buddy.

I need to get some information from the IRS for my accountant, and apparently they can't verify my phone? So they want to physically mail me a code, like its loving 1980.

I lost my pin so it is now even more a pain in the rear end to send them a huge pile of cash 5 times a year. Seriously is there a problem with people sending in payments for other people that you cant just email me my login info so I can do an eft.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

jokes posted:

Some dude got pissy at me for not posting positions but that dude straight up hates me I think. He did call me a grandpa for not buying bitcoins. Still he had a good idea: Posting positions here is cool and good.

The candles that burn twice as bright last half as long. And like noble phoenixes we should burn out and rekindle together

That being said, when there’s a series of red days I generally avoid day trading individual stocks and Hoover up some ETFs, AAPL/blue chips, or SPY calls a few weeks out.

-VTI that’s all currently red as expected and I keep DCAing. Worst case scenario the market full-on crashes and I have to wait a long time to get my money back. But I don’t think that will happen.
-PLTR@44 that I regret and am probably going to hold onto so that I avoid p
-JNJ@157
-PFE@36
-BA@197

Mostly I’ve been doing taxes and IRA junk and this last week has been good since I decided to step away from blue chips in my retirement account the week earlier and have been instead dumping those profits into VTI

I am very very boring

I’m also hanging onto a decent amount of PLTR, but at 27.90 or something. I don’t really think it’s gonna keep tanking like it has been so whatever, I’ll probably buy more.

The rest of my account is also cash, I just doubled down on FPAC and I have a few SPAC warrants. I’m mostly hoping the volatility this week evens out and if I see an opportunity I’ll jump on it. I had a couple gambles this week, a call on SPY 387 which I closed at about -50, and XOM (forget the call strike) that I also closed around -30 on Friday when I saw the direction oil futures were headed.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.reddit.com/r/GME/comments/ltua0n/endgame_dd_how_last_weeks_actions_all_come/

I can't tell if these are the ramblings of a crazy person or not, but it seems to be thoroughly researched and sourced (I haven't clicked any of the sources, so for all I know every single one just goes to goatse)

Baddog
May 12, 2001

jokes posted:

-PLTR@44 that I regret and am probably going to hold onto so that I avoid p
-JNJ@157
-PFE@36
-BA@197

I am very very boring

I don't hate you man, I just want you to chill out with treating this like a *complete* crapshoot (and encouraging all the GME guys to do the same). There are advantages to be had. The conversation about 3D printing thats been going in is good to listen to and think about. I like the potential of getting into companies which supply industrial machines.

Have to laugh at you getting into PLTR at the absolute very top. But I've been convinced that they have pretty good prospects, enough so that I recently sold some puts at 20 with the intention of happily taking delivery if it ends up there. So I wouldn't cash out now.

Don't hate BA right now, but don't love it either because they seem like they might be in some sort of incompetency death spiral (like Intel). But those government contracts aren't going to go away.

Are you in JNJ and PFE for the vaccines? That's all baked in now though.... if anything an easier to distribute/cheaper vaccine is going to take their global market share, so all I'm seeing is downside. Maybe PFE makes sense for the yearly boosters. Not sure people will want the JNJ version next year. There are probably only going to be 2-3 winners (worldwide) for a yearly covid booster shot.

Baddog fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 28, 2021

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Bardeh posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GME/comments/ltua0n/endgame_dd_how_last_weeks_actions_all_come/

I can't tell if these are the ramblings of a crazy person or not, but it seems to be thoroughly researched and sourced (I haven't clicked any of the sources, so for all I know every single one just goes to goatse)

It is the ramblings of a crazy person. Not a proper mentally ill person though, just a normal healthy stock trading crazy person.That's why it seems like it's thoroughly researched and sourced.

Stuff like this...

quote:

In addition to that, they set off a calculated sell and then closed their short position instantly after hitting the $40 mark.

...is just strong emotion plus pattern recognition. Speculation bubble behavior is sufficient in explaining this, there needn't be any short ladders.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Baddog posted:

I don't hate you man, I just want you to chill out with treating this like a *complete* crapshoot (and encouraging all the GME guys to do the same). There are advantages to be had. The conversation about 3D printing thats been going in is good to listen to and think about. I like the potential of getting into companies which supply industrial machines.

Have to laugh at you getting into PLTR at the absolute very top. But I've been convinced that they have pretty good prospects, enough so that I recently sold some puts at 20 with the intention of happily taking delivery if it ends up there. So I wouldn't cash out now.

Don't hate BA right now, but don't love it either because they seem like they might be in some sort of incompetency death spiral (like Intel). But those government contracts aren't going to go away.

Are you in JNJ and PFE for the vaccines? That's all baked in now though.... if anything an easier to distribute/cheaper vaccine is going to take their global market share, so all I'm seeing is downside. Maybe PFE makes sense for the yearly boosters. Not sure people will want the JNJ version next year. There are probably only going to be 2-3 winners for a yearly covid booster shot.

PFE/JNJ: It’s baked in for sure but a lot of the models I’ve looked at are pretty dang optimistic about the rollouts, as though there’s not gonna be a lot of supply chain issues that ultimately aren’t going to be hugely profitable for vaccine makers. I don’t expect them to jump too much but I think ultimately JNJ/PFE are in a great position for the foreseeable future.

Same with BA: I think the stock was in hot water because of Trump rhetoric but truthfully they’re as endemic to American government/military as any other choice and Biden isn’t shying away from Warhawk poo poo so I don’t see them going anywhere. I actually had a lot of profitable BA positions in my IRA that I closed to convert into VTI.

PLTR is 100% meme poo poo and I expect it to not stop being that way for a while, and I think it’s the stronger value pick among the lineup of WSB poo poo. I also regret it and fully expect to lose hard on that one.

Of note: none of my picks here are really gonna be sold for a while, excepting the options. All my short term poo poo is closed out and in cash.

jokes fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 28, 2021

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Le Saboteur posted:

Yeah, I've been morally against taking a position in Palantir even though I do think they're going to be a big deal. I've started looking more at software companies that are active in info sec, securing endpoints and what not which led me towards Absolute Software which also seems like an industry ready for a lot growth as more and more offices are permanently going remote now.

Did you post about Absolute here, or did I see someone post about that on Reddit yesterday?

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Cacafuego posted:

Did you post about Absolute here, or did I see someone post about that on Reddit yesterday?

I did a couple days ago just to see if anyone else had taken a gander at it and had any thoughts.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

jeeves posted:

I'd rather Palintir be burned to the ground for the simple fact of permanently making GBS threads on a Tolkien reference and also that Peter Thiel needs to be staked through the heart like the vampire that he wishes he was.

Good news! You can also be mad at Palmer Luckey and his defense contractor Anduril Industries.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Boeing is a weird one. I expect its revenue to pick up over the next few years like... everyone else on the planet.

But their financials are horrifying. Just look at various metrics over time here https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/BA/boeing/long-term-debt

Meanwhile their market cap is higher than it was in early 2017. Their p/e was only 20 for most of the decade, https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/BA/boeing/pe-ratio

So, should they really benefit from multiple expansion due to low interest rates given everything else?

Boeing is probably overvalued despite the price discount. I’d rate it market perform, but there is retail momentum because everyone is loving the reopening trade.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

pmchem posted:

ETFs are positions too, post those! :science:

I’m talking thoroughly boring. EU so 401ks etc don’t exist for me.

80% blackrock’s s&p 500, 20% vanguard’s all world. We don’t have access to many us traded etfs like jets, weed, etc.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Also am I supposed to buy someone a smiley yet? Who won the competition?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

How can you even know when it's going to fall and go back up again? The volatility is crazy. Are you just lucky?
I just looked at my stats on GME. Going back to last October, I have 164 trades and a 75.6% win rate. Profit factor is 2.85, k-ratio is 3.18. Probability of random chance is 0%

All according to tradervue.com which is what I use to analyze my trades

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Shammypants posted:

Honest question, does anyone believe in the company Palantir or their mission and work? Or is this a blind “I will try to profit blindly off a degenerate company of assholes?”

The assholes are winning. Look, Tom Brady won the super bowl. Betting on bad guys is way more profitable than not.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

melon cat posted:

A friendly note that haphazardly chasing meme stocks and other securities that you just learned about on an online forum doesn't make you a "day trader". Actual Day Traders (as in, people who make a livable income off of it and list it as their primary source of income on their tax return) seldom hold a position longer than 2-3 hours and utilize very sophisticated trading and hedging methods to take advantage of price action and volume.

With that being said

tbh my methods are anything but sophisticated and i don't hedge. everything else you said is right though. my average winning trade this year lasts 19 minutes, average losing trade lasts 8 minutes. a lot of day traders will have longer trades than me, i think i'm on the shorter end, but not a pure scalper. over 1000 trades already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What do you all think of Nintendo stock? I can't imagine it will go much higher because the company is solely a console manufacturer first and foremost. Outside of revisions I can't see their price rising.

Zerstorung posted:

Companies generally have the option to create shares of their company more or less out of thin air, which is how they benefit from a high stock price.

A company starts out as private and usually pays for growth via debt or private loans. But if they decide to go public, they'll go through an Initial Public Offering (IPO), where they create the first batch of shares to be sold to the public and collect all the money from the sales. Basically, think of each share as a small loan that eventually has to be paid back. Issuing shares to take out a loan is the whole point of listing on the market.

'Stock trading' as most people know it is just a secondary market, like buying used items. It doesn't directly matter to the company, since we're just selling IOU notes to each other for various prices.

If a company is making a lot of money, they'll do a share buyback, which is effectively just paying part of the loan back for anyone who will sell their shares back to the company. This usually happens when the price is low enough that the company thinks they can get more value by paying back the loan rather than growing the company. This is usually good for the shareholders because it means each share is worth a bigger piece of the pie and suggests the company is doing really well as-is.

At the other end, companies can do what's known as a Secondary Public Offering (SPO), where they add to their loan by creating more shares and selling them. They can also create and sell special Options known as Warrants, which also creates new shares if they're used by the buyer. This is usually bad for the shareholders short-term, because each existing share is diluted by the new ones, but it means the company now has more money available to grow (which can be better long-term). The higher the share price, the more money the company gets per share when they create new ones.

In the case of Gamestop, they'd be really smart to issue more shares at the inflated price. Why they don't is a mystery, but it suggests that they don't want to take out more loans because they have no actual plans to improve their business.

Great writeup thank you.

Uranium 235 posted:

I just looked at my stats on GME. Going back to last October, I have 164 trades and a 75.6% win rate. Profit factor is 2.85, k-ratio is 3.18. Probability of random chance is 0%

All according to tradervue.com which is what I use to analyze my trades

I should get into that after a few years of market experience.