Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

On the one hand I am expecting JnJ to have unimpressive vaccine results. The AZ adenovirus vaccine is far from mindblowing with two doses after all, even if this is much better it's hard to imagine it kicking much rear end with one. On the other hand aside from a very brief spike Pfizer's stock hasn't gone anywhere even after their 'a million times better than hoped' results so who even knows what that would do to number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

cr0y posted:

Damnit Ford get your poo poo together

thought I was in CanPol for a second

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

FistEnergy posted:

SPACs subreddit or just ask me

My spreadsheet is tied up on my work computer, which has been in IT limbo since Friday

Hope I get it back soon

Second. I hang out in the spacs subreddit and discuss with the BFC discord.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Scarodactyl posted:

On the one hand I am expecting JnJ to have unimpressive vaccine results. The AZ adenovirus vaccine is far from mindblowing with two doses after all, even if this is much better it's hard to imagine it kicking much rear end with one. On the other hand aside from a very brief spike Pfizer's stock hasn't gone anywhere even after their 'a million times better than hoped' results so who even knows what that would do to number.

I would not be surprised if consensus was that being a vaccine maker is a bad thing long term because it’ll eventually be price controlled by the government and it ties up production and research from doing things that are like a 2000% markup

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

pmchem posted:

I uhh, am not sure if you guys are familiar with my posting history in this thread but I am VERY familiar with ETFs. See these posts for example:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3259986&pagenumber=1927&perpage=40#post511917384
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3259986&pagenumber=1898&perpage=40#post511335363

Indeed, I am almost completely in ETFs. But the long-term thread prefers just telling people to buy 3-fund portfolios or total stock indexes, not specialized ETFs. And my post was about stocks, in particular because I wanted to discuss stocks in the stock thread!

I agree that other thread sucks and there should be a place to talk value stocking picking if that's your fetish, but I'm not sure 10-year set-it-and-forget-it really qualifies as trading. But whatever, semantics, you do you!

thats not candy posted:

spacs? I parked a bunch in BTAQ to keep my degenerate fingers off it and it will probably have a pop here in the next month. There might be something else closer to nav though

I've picked up a few pre-split trying to skirt around the hype to get some deals on warrants. Got ADER (online betting) and TACA (tech) units for sub $11. Actually just noticing TACA split units last week, so to the phones I go.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

GrandmaParty posted:

You hunker down and wait for daylight.

Do not pull money out. When the stock market recovers, it recovers in big jumps on single days for the most part.

Going to elaborate on this position with respect to the question of "what to do during a massive dip."

I have been deep-diving into Bogleheads literature, aka the "forget the needle and buy the haystack" philosophy of index fund guru John (Jack) Bogle. He created the first S&P 500 index fund with Vanguard back in the 70s, was mocked by fancy-pants wall street cats, and Vanguard wound up amassing trillions of dollars' worth of clientele as a result of offering close to market average returns for rock-bottom fees. Without him, mutual/index fund fees would be a lot higher today and everyone would shrug that that's just the way it is. Turns out, people like value!

In Bogle's books, as well as Taylor Larimore's "Bogleheads Guide To..." series and several dozen derivative flavors* of financial advice book, the research shows over and over again that buying and holding (aka Stay The Course) will beat a market downturn better than trying to time yourself out and back in. "What if I don't try to exit the most efficient way, but just jump the dip at all?" Research shows you won't, and you'll probably lose money trying to spot "the big one." The good news about staying the course through a long downturn is that you will be guaranteed the earliest, most effective position for a comeback the second the market rebounds. Usually, the market still ends up ahead on a yearly scale after a dip that otherwise scares investors away for good.

On an individual stock level, if you can forecast long-term advantages and disadvantages in its respective industry, okay make an educated guess, but know that every share you purchase is someone else's sale, and vice versa. Everyone you think you're beating is thinking the same thing about you (unless everyone's just trying to cut their losses and tell themselves they'll be more patient/principled next time).

*This includes advice books that agree with all of Bogle's principles but try to "slice and dice" the Three Fund Portfolio into 4-9 different sectors to hedge their bets - small-cap, value, real estate, precious metals, what have you. These strategies sometimes weather a downturn better than just holding the total markets and bonds forever, but in the long run slice-and-dice is another version of betting on certain sectors to win and will not beat the market average.

So, yeah. If you're too scared of dips to hold strong, remember recoveries. If you take recoveries for granted, then you're not scared enough of dips. Numbers can go down and that's okay!

EDIT - From Peter Mallouk: "”The average correction is a drop of 13.5%. Most corrections last less than two months, with the average length of a correction sitting at 54 days. Less than one in five corrections turns into a bear market.”

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 26, 2021

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
But that's admittedly boring so be cool like me and budget 5% for goofball poo poo that occasionally pays off or also maybe doesn't

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
GME better keep it up I gotta get rid of this call so I can stop sweating

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
Gaaaamestopppppp

Bid/ask glitched out my account during the halt creating this fun scary screenshot.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

moctopus posted:

So my first question is if there's cheaper stocks ($10-$30) that are relatively stable that would be good for this or are they too volatile at that price? If that stuff is kind of a secret, or I need to put in the work myself, I get that too, which brings me to my next question.

There are definitely stocks that would fit the criteria of being stable and with limited volatility, something like F or GE or T, blue chip types that don't have huge price swings, or stable ETF funds, but they're not going to have very high premiums on the options contracts because of that lack of volatility. If you're okay with that, go for it, but a lot of people aren't looking to tie up thousands of dollars for weeks on end for $25 or whatever. The higher premium contracts will be those stocks with more volatility.

pmchem posted:

heads up folks, ARK big ideas brief is today:
https://twitter.com/ARKInvest/status/1354087258358505476?s=20

gonna be a lot of momentum into whatever they highlight

Any idea if this is for the new ETF only or is there more to it?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Roman Rambo posted:

Gaaaamestopppppp

Bid/ask glitched out my account during the halt creating this fun scary screenshot.

eTrade is notorious for displaying numbers before all the underlying values are loaded giving frequent split seconds of abject terror.

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice

err posted:

how much has retail investing contributed to the asset bubble we are in?

printing 30% more dollars didnt hurt in creating an asset bubble

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
Luckily my suicide rube goldberg machine takes a very long time to set up and test.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Sand Monster posted:

Any idea if this is for the new ETF only or is there more to it?

2021 version of this https://research.ark-invest.com/hub...99-84d7ac1213c6

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

pmchem posted:

Anyone want to make a case for their own 10-year set-and-forget, value p/e, large-cap stock?

GILD has normally been my go-to for that but I sold a bunch of calls during the remdesivir run up and eventually had it called away at $76. No position in it right now but I’d start building again if I had extra money I wanted to allocate. Buying under $60 has always worked for me.

Been building a position in ADM. I bought a lot of PRU in the COVID crash last year because at the time it looked like a better value than ANAT to me and I think it’s a fine choice still. ANAT would be my first choice for a safe value insurer though, it just wasn’t as beat up as PRU at the time and in retrospect I made the right choice. No need to double up though, and trading on ANAT is not liquid.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
are any of the active ARKs still good to get into?

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

punk rebel ecks posted:

Should I regret investing in Nintendo?

They've just been declining over and over the past week.

cathie bought a bunch of nintendo yesterday

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Space Fish posted:

On an individual stock level, if you can forecast long-term advantages and disadvantages in its respective industry, okay make an educated guess, but know that every share you purchase is someone else's sale, and vice versa. Everyone you think you're beating is thinking the same thing about you (unless everyone's just trying to cut their losses and tell themselves they'll be more patient/principled next time).

My takeaway from the past year is that the average american is dumb as poo poo, and the average american investor isn't much better. Reminding me that there is an actual person on the other side of the trade is just reinforcement that the game is probably beatable, as long as I don't stroke out.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

CRTX is up 20%, is that phase 2 trial starting pop?

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
made my gamestop money back flipping gme calls. not going to touch that thing again. i hope

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Baddog posted:

My takeaway from the past year is that the average american is dumb as poo poo, and the average american investor isn't much better. Reminding me that there is an actual person on the other side of the trade is just reinforcement that the game is probably beatable, as long as I don't stroke out.

me investing right now:

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

lol GME creeping up there

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Gone Fashing posted:

cathie bought a bunch of nintendo yesterday

Who's "cathie"?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

pixaal posted:

CRTX is up 20%, is that phase 2 trial starting pop?

Back in the news cycle, baby!

I picked up $40 call while I was getting my winter tires put on yesterday so this is a nice surprise

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

GME is like a hot stove, i covered my initial cost and have some "free" shares now but it's tempting to get more...

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Who's "cathie"?

The lady that runs the ARK ETFs

Baddog
May 12, 2001

prom candy posted:

me investing right now:

Hah yah basically. The most precious commodity in the world right now is vaccines and we've lost track of millions of them. We're not the smartest country.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

lol at GME about to crest $120

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Baddog posted:

Hah yah basically. The most precious commodity in the world right now is vaccines and we've lost track of millions of them. We're not the smartest country.

Apparently the most precious commodity in the world is Gamestop lmao

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
please crash back down again gme so i can flip some more calls thanks

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

UnfurledSails posted:

the most precious commodity is stupidity and if this pandemic hasn't shown that I don't know what will

invest in applebees

Baddog
May 12, 2001

UnfurledSails posted:

Haha yah that too. loving Tootsie Roll is up another 6% today too. You're welcome Chris.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Baddog posted:

Haha yah that too. loving Tootsie Roll is up another 6% today too. You're welcome Chris.

I didn't touch that poo poo! I got my buddy to buy in though so he owes me a new bimmer if it goes to the moon

Honestly not surprised we're so poo poo with the vaccines since there's no money in it. Charge $500 a shot and BAM most sophisticated rollout you've ever seen

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Last week I wrote some covered calls for $35 for PLTR thinking that a) No way it would go up 35% in 5 days, even with demo day and b) I'd be happy to sell at 35$ if it did.

I ended up wrong on both counts, and needless to say I'm having an interesting time right now waffling back and forth on whether I should buy back

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Baddog posted:

My takeaway (especially after the last 48 hours): The stock market really is just one gigantic ponzi scheme

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008

melon cat posted:

My takeaway (especially after the last 48 hours): The stock market really is just one gigantic ponzi scheme
Always has been.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

UnfurledSails posted:

Last week I wrote some covered calls for $35 for PLTR thinking that a) No way it would go up 35% in 5 days, even with demo day and b) I'd be happy to sell at 35$ if it did.

I ended up wrong on both counts, and needless to say I'm having an interesting time right now waffling back and forth on whether I should buy back

:same:

It wasn’t last week, but I sold CCs on PLTR expiring Friday. One for $27 and one for $30. I am going to let them go though and just buy back shares with the proceeds.

The one that hurts is a CC I sold on SPCE for $30 expiring 2/19. Not buying them back though and will likely put that into something else.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

But that's admittedly boring so be cool like me and budget 5% for goofball poo poo that occasionally pays off or also maybe doesn't

Unironically this. Several Bogle interviews include "but what about [sector/trend/alternative ETF]?" And he usually relents that chiseling off 5% to gently caress around and find out, so long as it keeps the investor from YOLOing their life savings, is better than bottling up that impulse and doing something dumber down the line.

RIP to an absolute legend, he's waiting for us on that fabled moon.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Cacafuego posted:

:same:

It wasn’t last week, but I sold CCs on PLTR expiring Friday. One for $27 and one for $30. I am going to let them go though and just buy back shares with the proceeds.

Wouldn't you pay more short term capital gains taxes if you did that as opposed to closing out the calls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Lmao how is GME stable at 120$. Madness.