Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Pillowpants posted:

So I have a dumb question.

Why can I buy an AAPL call at $125 AND a put at $125? Why would you buy a call assuming a lower price?

iron condor... or something lmfao. :retrogames:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

invest in a good pair of stocks

birkenstocks that is

my man

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My stocks had more red than a Trump rally :smith:

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Red posted:

Most of my day was slightly okay, with the end-of-day push for a decent day's gains. I figured with Powell's interview last night, people would go hog wild, but no luck.

Everything I have is red today. That sucks.

I knew Nvidia was gonna get I to CPUs with the ARM purchase but it totally slipped my mind, for some reason I forgot all about that.

I remember seeing a video on YouTube last year about the CPU's and GPU's ARM is prototyping, I wanted to invest in them back then before realising it was owned by SoftBank and non tradable on my old platform.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

TheKevman posted:

If it wasn't for playboy I would have been red across the board. Draft Kings was my big loser :(

If you guys have been talking about Coinbase's IPO lately, I missed it- was out of town for a week. Just wondering what the general sentiment on it is; I'm not really a crypto fan at all, but some of the stuff I've been reading about the IPO is nuts. I'm more in line with this article: https://www.newconstructs.com/despite-record-1q-results-coinbases-valuation-remains-ridiculous/ but I see a space where this thing could absolutely take off massively for a while before coming back down to Earth as more competition enters the picture.

I’m an idiot, but my thought on crypto is it’s valuation is largely due to money laundering, mostly for Russia and the like.

Once there’s some sanctions with some teeth that cover crypto (and I suspect it’s going to happen eventually), we’ll see crypto free fall.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I’m an idiot, but my thought on crypto is it’s valuation is largely due to money laundering, mostly for Russia and the like.

Once there’s some sanctions with some teeth that cover crypto (and I suspect it’s going to happen eventually), we’ll see crypto free fall.

It's really weird. I feel like with the numbers Coinbase is putting up, the question as to "why hasn't anyone else entered this space" is sort of disingenuous- a lot of detractors point to platforms offering crypto trading but not crypto ownership- and there's absolutely a difference. Coinbase appears to have a monopoly and a stranglehold on what appears to be a safe and fairly well-regarded platform (people complain and rightfully so about their fees) in an industry that is/was rife with theft and 'misplaced' crypto, so that absolutely counts for something. I don't know how many crypto fans know that they don't actually possess crypto when they're trading on say, Robinhood. Then again, I don't know how many crypto gamblers actually give a poo poo about this aspect other than just betting on price going up.

I agree with you, though. It certainly seems like its best usage at the moment is in a money laundering setup and once that aspect is significantly reduced, welp, gonna be interesting.

TheKevman fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 13, 2021

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Everything I have is red today. That sucks.

If you don't have any, get some VOO.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i wanna buy some calls but dunno wot fml. no reason for this just sometimes like to gamble ya know. watch the line go up and down. big money big money no whammies.

e: hmm how about SPY $520c 3/31/22

Smythe fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 13, 2021

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Why not go for 840 for that smooth double 420,can't go wrong with that.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
get calls on rkt. just don't know what expiry

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Son of Rodney posted:

Why not go for 840 for that smooth double 420,can't go wrong with that.

It don't go that high

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Gone Fashing posted:

get calls on rkt. just don't know what expiry

Rkt has been pissing me off for over 1 yr and can suck my balls

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Do you actually "possess" Crypto when trading on Coinbase? I'm pretty sure you don't, they didn't give people their corresponding Bitcoin Gold or Cash when those split off.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Is anyone in this thread really considering crypto poo poo? I thought it was just about whether or not to get some of the coinbase stock. (I'm guessing no, it seems overvalued but also I don't know poo poo).

Mafic Rhyolite fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Apr 13, 2021

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Fame Douglas posted:

Do you actually "possess" Crypto when trading on Coinbase? I'm pretty sure you don't, they didn't give people their corresponding Bitcoin Gold or Cash when those split off.
You initially buy coins that they hold in custody for you. If you want to transfer them off coinbase to a non-custodial wallet you can, and some people do that immediately after buying. In contrast Robinhood lets you buy custodial crypto but you can't transfer it to a wallet so you can't really possess it.

Anyway, the valuations for the coinbase IPO are all over the place because their revenue has grown exponentially in a very short period. I've seen everything from $18 billion to over $200 billion proposed.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

My uncle has a ponytail and says crypto is the key to brining down the deep state so I would value coinbase somewhere in the 5 to 6 trillion area.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Apr 13, 2021

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

TheKevman posted:

It's really weird. I feel like with the numbers Coinbase is putting up, the question as to "why hasn't anyone else entered this space" is sort of disingenuous- a lot of detractors point to platforms offering crypto trading but not crypto ownership- and there's absolutely a difference. Coinbase appears to have a monopoly and a stranglehold on what appears to be a safe and fairly well-regarded platform (people complain and rightfully so about their fees) in an industry that is/was rife with theft and 'misplaced' crypto, so that absolutely counts for something. I don't know how many crypto fans know that they don't actually possess crypto when they're trading on say, Robinhood. Then again, I don't know how many crypto gamblers actually give a poo poo about this aspect other than just betting on price going up.

I've put 10% of my stonk money into crypto certs on my trading platform. I'm fully aware that I dont actually own crypto and the big upside of that is that it's actually easier to unload.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

iSurrender posted:

I've put 10% of my stonk money into crypto certs on my trading platform. I'm fully aware that I dont actually own crypto and the big upside of that is that it's actually easier to unload.

It's the same with Coinbase, you can transfer Cryptocurrencies out, but you don't actually own any coin (which is why you don't partake in forks) when you just keep it on the platform. No one trades on the Blockchain, that'd be far too expensive and slow. Cryptocurrencies aren't actually good as currencies, they're pure speculation objects primarily traded in the proprietary systems of the various platforms.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
No, you actually do own the coins on Coinbase. The coins you buy are yours, stored in a figurative vault at Coinbase. You are free to withdraw those coins out into your own wallet to do as you please at any time. It’s no different than any stock trading platform in the sense that you deposit money into their accounts which you then use to trade, and you can pull your money (coins) out at any time.

With Robinhood the coins are never yours because you’re not buying coins. You’re giving real money to RH and telling them to invest it in Bitcoin, and when you sell it they give you the real money value sold.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They don't give you forks, so you don't really own the coins either compared to holding them in your own wallet. You just have a Bitcoin withdrawal option.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

huh I guess this is why $DASH is rallying lately. they're going the $UBER route of rapidly trying to expand revenues / TAM by getting into new services:

https://twitter.com/thenewb/status/1381818522498605061?s=20

so they'll announce doordash restaurants or whatever, stock will rally on news because investors are lemmings.

this will increase their losses per Q and, I mean, who the gently caress wants to order food directly from doordash kitchens? silicon valley is just the worst

p.s. they're gonna couple this with the food automation company they just bought to try and make it a robokitchen
the food is gonna be boring as hell

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
It will almost certainly be Applebee’s style frozen food that comes prepared by Sysco and is heated up in a commercial microwave before being delivered.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

pmchem posted:

huh I guess this is why $DASH is rallying lately. they're going the $UBER route of rapidly trying to expand revenues / TAM by getting into new services:

so they'll announce doordash restaurants or whatever, stock will rally on news because investors are lemmings.

this will increase their losses per Q and, I mean, who the gently caress wants to order food directly from doordash kitchens? silicon valley is just the worst

p.s. they're gonna couple this with the food automation company they just bought to try and make it a robokitchen

They’ve been advertising like loving crazy. Like every YouTube video runs a preroll
“I fuckin love working for DoorDash! Come suck some corporate dick with me! You’ll make moneyyy. You’ll be your own bosss”

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
Couple weeks back when GME was around $200 I bought some 5/21 $160p. Stock has been on a nice decline since, but I'm really holding out hope that when DFV's calls expire this Friday it'll spook retail investors and start a collapse back down to the $40 range.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The Polish Pirate posted:

Couple weeks back when GME was around $200 I bought some 5/21 $160p. Stock has been on a nice decline since, but I'm really holding out hope that when DFV's calls expire this Friday it'll spook retail investors and start a collapse back down to the $40 range.

DFV should sell half the calls and use 100% of that money to roll the rest out another few months for a laugh. I guess set aside enough for taxes that's acceptable. Or taking the money and running that's cool too.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

When he has 11 million cash I am guessing he will exercise all and end up with 50k more shares for $600k cost

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Took profits from LOGI and dumped JNJ even though I feel like 6 people getting issues in 8 million shots or whatever did not necessitate a full halt to their vaccine.

Now I need things to do, anyone have their eye on something?

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 13, 2021

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

laxbro posted:

It will almost certainly be Applebee’s style frozen food that comes prepared by Sysco and is heated up in a commercial microwave before being delivered.

So like a Chili's but with less flair?

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I’ve been dumping money into ethereum for the past month, it’s up $600 in that time.

There’s a medium article about how cardano is building a bridge to ethereum, highly recommend buying into both or either ahead of that move

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Playboy :monocle:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

centerfold NFTs going to the moon!!! 🚀🚀🚀🚀

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

A joke about rising.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Accidentally bought JNJ calls instead of puts. Honestly though think I might just let'r ride 🤷🤔

They are already +10%

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I have a dumb question! Due to bad decisions in 2020 I ended up with a large amount of realized capital losses, significantly exceeding the carryover of $3k.

Nothing I do in my normal life would subject me to capital gains to wind this sum down. Therefore, I feel like I'm doomed to whittle away $3k every year.

Is there any suggestion for something I can do that would generate capital gains, and take advantage of my current ability to pay no taxes on those gains up to a certain amount? I figure there's no easy answer to this different than anyone else asking what they can do to generate gains, but thought I'd see if anyone has ideas.

e: I have no assets in my brokerage account, everything is in retirement accounts or cash earmarked for a house purchase, so nothing to sell.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 13, 2021

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I would also like the easy answer on how to make capital gains. Following!!!

spencer for hire
Jan 27, 2006

we just want to dance here, someone stole the stage
they call us irresponsible, write us off the page

Inner Light posted:

I have a dumb question! Due to bad decisions in 2020 I ended up with a large amount of realized capital losses, significantly exceeding the carryover of $3k.

Nothing I do in my normal life would subject me to capital gains to wind this sum down. Therefore, I feel like I'm doomed to whittle away $3k every year.

Is there any suggestion for something I can do that would generate capital gains, and take advantage of my current ability to pay no taxes on those gains up to a certain amount? I figure there's no easy answer to this different than anyone else asking what they can do to generate gains, but thought I'd see if anyone has ideas.

e: I have no assets in my brokerage account, everything is in retirement accounts or cash earmarked for a house purchase, so nothing to sell.

There is nothing wrong with whittling away $3k every year.

The main benefit that I could see is now you don’t have to worry about generating any taxable events when doing any type of reallocations for a long while. However, speaking from experience in the same situation, constantly messing with your portfolio and “chasing gains” without a strategy may put you in a bigger carry forward hole. For example, if you sell your entire portfolio to chase after the next meme stock, you may realize enough gains to neutralize your carry forward, but if the meme stock fails you’re in an even worse position because your portfolio lost value and carry forward is gone

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Got more NDRA during the easter clearance sale.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

RBLX be BLOXIN

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

pmchem posted:

The big issue I have with the notion of Ghost kitchens is like it's total risk for the consumer. There's zero way to know what the food quality is like at all, and of course the reviews on the platform aren't worth anything.

I've actually been ordering heaps from Door Dash during the lock down, but it's in the context to supporting my favourite spots that I already know I like.

On the topic of Door Dash trying other things, I bought something from some startup consumer goods company recently... maybe it was Brooklinen, and there was an option to get the stuff delivered faster through Door Dash, so that's I guess their other angle to increased profitability, being the sort of premium last mile delivery folks for getting stuff immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Folks, I regret to inform you that my experiment with $MOON, the ultimate meme, has been a total failure, and the stock sucks.