Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I've got SPY 4/26 $418, $422.5 4/30, $425 4/30, $435 5/7, and $445 5/17 and $450 6/1 calls - its not much on each but its more fun than playing with NDRA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i sold expecting some kind of dip next week so it's going to rocket up to 440 next week

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

i sold expecting some kind of dip next week so it's going to rocket up to 440 next week

I sold a bunch earlier because I was shell shocked by how bad they did over the past two days. i think next week will be ok - but i wish i didnt buy any may options.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Yeah, I went safe and locked in my profits. I can rebuy monday if i want, bet there'll be a dip.

Or I can use them to cover this stupid pool repair. Never buy a house, kids.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Deviant posted:

Yeah, I went safe and locked in my profits. I can rebuy monday if i want, bet there'll be a dip.

Or I can use them to cover this stupid pool repair. Never buy a house, kids.

don't worry i'll never be able to

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Shear Modulus posted:

don't worry i'll never be able to

Well yeah, the homeowners post in the long term thread.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

:drat:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Hahahaha god drat

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Residency Evil posted:

Oof!!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Shear Modulus posted:

:same:

Took profits from PFE, QRVO, couple other minor things now I'm sure the entire market will be green as grass next week as I sit with cash in hand

Seventyfour
Apr 6, 2009

Beneath the Pavement
The Beach
Sold my SPY 415 4/30 calls this morning at a modest profit. I could have made a lot more if I waited but I was eager to get out after the last two days. Same with my XLF 35.5 4/30 calls. I had made good money playing with XLF calls a couple of times earlier but it was looking like I’d offset those profits, glad to get out.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Residency Evil posted:

fatality

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Residency Evil posted:

:cabot:

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

The flow on short-term spy options has been insanely bearish. Also the moving average on 4hr candles suggests we could be looking at a downward oscillation. I would tread carefully.

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

Mindmed gets it Nasdaq listing next week. Nice jump on Friday. Now that more people can buy this stock (Robinhood) we'll see if it has meme potential.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

ARTPUP posted:

Mindmed gets it Nasdaq listing next week. Nice jump on Friday. Now that more people can buy this stock (Robinhood) we'll see if it has meme potential.

They recently submitted the paperwork to offer up to $500milCAD more shares in the next two years. Market Cap is $1.1B right now, so could be some hefty dilution.

I looked at the investor deck and the only proprietary thing of substance is their 18-MC ibogaine analog for treating opioid addiction. I guess it's going to move on to Phase 2 trials soon. I'll probably pick up some shares but their main Lucy Project doesn't seem patentable or unique.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I'm confused about how a company's debt-to-equity ratio is computed. Investopedia says that:

code:
debt-to-equity = debt / equity
with

code:
equity = assets - debt
therefore

code:
 debt-to-equity = debt / (assets - debt)
Is this right? Debt appears twice in the equation?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

FistEnergy posted:

PSA: HERAU (new Betsy Coen 850m SPAC) splits on Monday with 1/4 warrant per unit. It's trading at 10.02 right now. I just bought 10000 units. It's the safest bet on the board right now and is almost guaranteed profit barring the sudden end of civilization.

I'm interested in this too. Do I just buy on monday or is it too late/i have to hit premarket?
not sure how timing of splits work

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

human garbage bag posted:

I'm confused about how a company's debt-to-equity ratio is computed. Investopedia says that:

code:
debt-to-equity = debt / equity
with

code:
equity = assets - debt
therefore

code:

It's only present on the left side, on the right side it is removed. (assets - debt) is assets without debt.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Ola posted:

It's only present on the left side, on the right side it is removed. (assets - debt) is assets without debt.

I don't understand, "assets without debt" is just equity right?

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

TheParadigm posted:

I'm interested in this too. Do I just buy on monday or is it too late/i have to hit premarket?

You can still buy units after the split date, just need to be sure you are buying the ticker HERAU not the commons (commons will probably be named just HERA.)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Exactly. That's what you're calculating.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Ola posted:

Exactly. That's what you're calculating.

I want to calculate the "debt to equity ratio". I followed the definition from Investopedia and the equation I came up with has "debt to equity ratio" on the left side and "debt" twice on the right side.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king

code:

This should clear things up, assuming debt < assets, etc:

code:
 debt-to-equity = debt / (assets - debt) = debt/assets + (debt/assets)^2 + (debt/assets)^3 + (debt/assets)^4 + …

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I want to calculate the "debt to equity ratio". I followed the definition from Investopedia and the equation I came up with has "debt to equity ratio" on the left side and "debt" twice on the right side.

Right. The "debt to equity ratio" is the same as debt divided by assets minus debt. It wasn't right of me to say it was present on the left side, because I was thinking about at the divison.

Maybe this is a better explanation:

"Debt to equity ratio" is the name of a fraction. Equity is your net assets, so we calculate it by taking what you have, minus what you owe. If you have a $300k Lambo but you owe $300k on it, your Lambo equity is zero. Debt appears twice in that fraction, but it's not being counted twice. It is present in the enumerator and specifically removed in the denominator.

Let's say someone has the same amount of debt as they do equity. How would that look in the equation? It would be:

1 = debt / (assets - debt)

The debt could be 3 and the assets 6. That's 3 / (6-3) = 3/3 = 1.

Bonus task: What happens when we try to calculate the debt to equity ratio for the Lambo example?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Yeah debt to equity ratio now you get it

It is important to banks cause when they foreclose the equity is what they get in exchange for the debt that won’t be paid

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 26, 2021

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

I’m liking what I see so far today boys!! LLLLLLFFFGGGGGGGGGG

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Wifi Toilet posted:

You can still buy units after the split date, just need to be sure you are buying the ticker HERAU not the commons (commons will probably be named just HERA.)

Neat and thank you for the tip! Just to make sure I understand it right, is the play basically 'buy a bunch, call your broker to split, and either sell when it gets popular/the rush because its new, or long term hang onto it?'

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Another example:

So if you have something worth $100 securing an $80 loan, you have $80 in debt and $20 (100-80) in equity on that asset. 80/20=4, so in this case you'd have a dte ratio of 4. Meaning 4 times more debt on the asset vs the equity you have in it.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Ola posted:

Right. The "debt to equity ratio" is the same as debt divided by assets minus debt. It wasn't right of me to say it was present on the left side, because I was thinking about at the divison.

Maybe this is a better explanation:

"Debt to equity ratio" is the name of a fraction. Equity is your net assets, so we calculate it by taking what you have, minus what you owe. If you have a $300k Lambo but you owe $300k on it, your Lambo equity is zero. Debt appears twice in that fraction, but it's not being counted twice. It is present in the enumerator and specifically removed in the denominator.

Let's say someone has the same amount of debt as they do equity. How would that look in the equation? It would be:

1 = debt / (assets - debt)

The debt could be 3 and the assets 6. That's 3 / (6-3) = 3/3 = 1.

Bonus task: What happens when we try to calculate the debt to equity ratio for the Lambo example?

Got it, thanks.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Just bought some MMEDF. Guess we'll see what happens tomorrow when it joins the NASDAQ.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

yeah i guess you could say im rolling in it

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Very rude of CCIV to hover above $20 then jump to $24 before I could buy in.
Ditto for Ocugen doubling in price over the past week. Give me a heads up next time!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

TheParadigm posted:

It's still 10.05 which is a great price considering the post-split commons will have a $10 NAV and then you'll have free/cheap warrants on top of that. It's a good time to buy, you'll just probably have to wait for your trade to settle before they'll let you split.

TheParadigm posted:

Neat and thank you for the tip! Just to make sure I understand it right, is the play basically 'buy a bunch, call your broker to split, and either sell when it gets popular/the rush because its new, or long term hang onto it?'

I prefer to sell the commons to get my initial investment back, and hold on to the free/cheap warrants until there's a DA or a big warrant price spike. Move my bankroll on to the next play.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 26, 2021

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Just had a customer come in talking trades. Was complaining about tax hikes and followed it up with "Well, my buddy is a day trader and said it shouldn't matter up to $12,000 since they only tax you on dividends." I tried to explain to him how capital gains work, and he just refused to believe you were taxed on that the same way as dividends or something.

It was Doge he's trading. About 100k coins of it

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 26, 2021

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Vanguard Email posted:

Dear Red,

Your open order for CHFS will be canceled on 04/27/21 due to a corporate action. A corporate action is a change to a company or its underlying stock that may affect its stockholders. Examples include (but are not limited to) splits, dividends, delisting, mergers, acquisitions, and spinoffs.

Orders can be replaced on 04/27/21 after 8:00 AM EST. If you would like an order for this security to be in effect at the market open please replace before 9:30 AM EST on 04/27/21.

How odd. I wonder what's up?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Red posted:

How odd. I wonder what's up?

they got a very strange looking graph lol. did they add like a bajillion shares or something? drat

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Smythe posted:

they got a very strange looking graph lol. did they add like a bajillion shares or something? drat

Well I er uh https://www.splithistory.com/chfs/

Then https://finance.yahoo.com/news/chf-solutions-inc-announces-proposed-200500553.html

I probably should've gotten rid of this months ago, but they do interesting work, so I don't really have concerns about them long-term.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Just bought in 2000 shares to SNDL again today to play the wheel. Very high covered returns right now, it's at a sweet spot price-wise for a good delta value on selling $1 calls. I still think the stock is probably garbage, but it's garbage other people are willing to gamble on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

FistEnergy posted:

It's still 10.05 which is a great price considering the post-split commons will have a $10 NAV and then you'll have free/cheap warrants on top of that. It's a good time to buy, you'll just probably have to wait for your trade to settle before they'll let you split.

I prefer to sell the commons to get my initial investment back, and hold on to the free/cheap units until there's a DA or a big warrant price spike. Move my bankroll on to the next play.

Guess I'm getting back in on SPACs. Stupid question, but do you have to call Etrade to request splitting the units into commons and warrants? I also see people on Reddit talking about getting etrade to waive a $38 reoganization fee to do this. Do any of y'all have experience with that?