Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
cant wait to flush this %GOON_STOCK turd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Agronox posted:

If any of you guys are crypto people, do you have any thoughts on COIN (Coinbase)? No need to mention any numbers, just curious whether you've used the platform, whether you like it, if you're likely to move to Binance or some other thing for your trading or USD-in/USD-out transactions.

I have $3000 of funny money stored there.

Been fine so far.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
will Nas 13500 hold, hmm.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

VSTO's TTM P/E has been updated in finviz, thinkorswim, and presumably everywhere now. it's about 7.5. now that the stock is coming up on every daytrader's value screens... +4.1% today with bullish options flow. exactly as I had hoped this would go :toot:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Agronox posted:

If any of you guys are crypto people, do you have any thoughts on COIN (Coinbase)? No need to mention any numbers, just curious whether you've used the platform, whether you like it, if you're likely to move to Binance or some other thing for your trading or USD-in/USD-out transactions.

I have a very, very small amount in Coinbase; basically a 'why not?' amount in Ethereum and Bitcoin. The Ethereum money has already doubled in value, and I'll probably just let it go along for 20 years. As I mentioned earlier, you can just get a free chunk of whatever crypto from Coinbase for doing little 'lessons'; then you can convert it to whatever you'd like, if you don't care about Celo or Stellar Lumens.

The real trick is avoiding their fees; you can buy crypto on Coinbase Pro (an app for your phone) with little or no fees (depending on what you're doing), then transfer it to Coinbase for staking.

Anyway, Coinbase sucks at providing cost basis or even just easily showing you any data. I'm not super big into crypto, so I'm not really going to ever move or look for other options.

It's also noteworthy that they don't offer DOGE; given how volatile it is, maybe they felt like it wasn't worth touching.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

No NOK, come back 😥

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i need mindmed and the stock that shall not be named to go back up pls.

meanwhile the made up internet money is doing fine?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Femtosecond posted:

SOLY, a random stock I bought because someone here mentioned it a long while ago is back approaching at its all time high. I'm up 172.80%. Thx thread.

Anyone else still holding this stock? Any reason I should keep holding this guy or time to reap some sweet rewards?

I cashed out for a profit a few months ago and it's been the biggest challenge when it comes to not looking back and Monday morning quarterbacking it.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Henry Krinkle posted:

LOL they just announced it's being bought by AbbVie for 22.60 per share. Exactly what we were waiting for (well I did for over a year).

lol what a crazy coincidence. Well I guess that answers my question for me...

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

ARTPUP posted:

My pick is Photon Control (PHO.T) They make fiber optic monitoring systems for the semiconductor industry. I've mentioned them before. Currently at $2.49 share with a PE of 22 which is reasonable. As of Sept 2020, it has around $46 million in cash, an increase of $13 million in 2019. It has no long term debit. Zero. Has an order backlog of around $20-27 million. Gross profit is around 50-61% of revenue. Gross profit in 2019 was $12.9 million, for 2020 it was $30 million. 2020 was a record for net income of $12.9 million.

They will be releasing their earnings call for the 2020 year on Thurs. March 18th. Market's one year estimate for this stock to be around $3-$3.25 share. For a short term outlook, I can't see why this isn't going to jump up. If we face a market crash in the fall this stock could fall to around a dollar and I'll be buying with both hands. (it fell during the covid crash of March 2020) This is going to be a $5+ stock long term and that's my holding in it. I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually got bought up. Hellllooo Cathie Wood, are you listening?

Well, Photon just got a buyout offer of $3.60/share from MKS Instruments. (239% return for me so far) Too low IMO, should be more like $4 at least. Hopefully we'll see a bidding war. What a crazy market we're in, people walk past cash lying on the ground and rush to grab gold painted turds.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

ARTPUP posted:

Well, Photon just got a buyout offer of $3.60/share from MKS Instruments. (239% return for me so far) Too low IMO, should be more like $4 at least. Hopefully we'll see a bidding war. What a crazy market we're in, people walk past cash lying on the ground and rush to grab gold painted turds.

Nice trade, congrats.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I'm upto 2,500 shares of $GOONSTONK and am calling that enough

Hurry up FDA, the pandemic is over get back to work you loving slackers

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
Currently losing a good bit of money on my NKLA put and making a good bit of money on my TSLA put. I'll just leave it at that.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
SOLY bought by Allergan, it took a while with covid delays but got the result I was anticipating. It obviously leaked out to insiders about 6 months ago given share price movement.... I love this rigged rear end game

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 10, 2021

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Agronox posted:

This assumes you're based in the US, but coinbase pro is a limited platform in a lot of ways. Lots of altcoins can't be bought there, you can't do trades with a lot of conditional actions unless you use the API (eg, set a stoploss along with a limit sell at a desired price target), and there's no trading on margin. The staking isn't so great either. To get those things you usually need accounts at multiple US exchanges. I wouldn't touch standard coinbase because fees are much higher. That said, coinbase pro is fine as an onramp for fiat to crypto.

If you're looking to invest in the stock, COIN's business model isn't unique and there could be a race to the bottom to compete over fees. For customers outside the US there are a lot of better options on the table. It remains to be seen if defi can disrupt centralized exchange business models, because it's still very early. In the short term, their refusal to list doge is probably costing them business, because we're in the middle of a memecoin frenzy.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Third attempt at NQ 13400 in a week. Bounce or plummet?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

ARTPUP posted:

After you had posted about this, it was on my list to purchase at around $2/share, but I never did because of the fee to purchase on Ally invest, so I wanted to sink a large chunk into it, but never had the chunk available to dump in it.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Ugh what just happened

Red
Apr 15, 2003

cr0y posted:

Ugh what just happened

My poor little Friday gains

Look what they did to my gains

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

cr0y posted:

Ugh what just happened

Hmm yes. Catalyst for that huge dump, anyone know?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Sand Monster posted:

to give me a chance to buy more SPY 420 calls

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LMAO @ everything except RYCEY

GO BABY GO

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

ARTPUP posted:

Jesus Christ, so that's what happened to my MKSI.

So back in October/November last year I was looking at laser companies and ended up putting money into IIVI, MKSI, and LITE. It was a great ride up until February or so and since then it's just been bleeding (as have most of my tech investments). I got out of LITE in March since it was the worst performer of the 3, and plan to hold IIVI and MKSI long, but I'm wary about investing more money on other companies in the same industry. But now, MKSI and IIVI are just buying up smaller companies that shoot up in value while they lose value.

What are you supposed to do? Get out of the larger companies and invest in potential buyout targets?

Just keep holding long until the value manifests, I guess.

Well, that's my laser story.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Sand Monster posted:

Is it the pipeline ransomware attack? That's all I can figure.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sand Monster posted:

Is it the preceding year of market insanity? That's all I can figure.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I guess it’s time to make my cost average for goon stock go down more…………………… oh god plz don’t be the final time it never goes back up

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Today loving sucked and was a really bad day to start my "no more gambling, just buy and hold big company stocks" strategy.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I impulse sold those calls today and hoo boy was that a good decision.

But my ETH tanked too, though still positive. :c

I'm this close to cutting my losses where i'm still +$ and ignoring the gambling for a while

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Yall sleeping on RICK

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Sand Monster posted:

Dogecoin might not be real and now we’re not sure if anything is.

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...
I feel like most of my remaining gambling stocks are down like 25-50%, except for Build a Bear Workshop

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Henry Krinkle posted:

LOL they just announced it's being bought by AbbVie for 22.60 per share. Exactly what we were waiting for (well I did for over a year).

Thought you meant ndra and had a heart attack.

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

cgeq posted:

Jesus Christ, so that's what happened to my MKSI.

So back in October/November last year I was looking at laser companies and ended up putting money into IIVI, MKSI, and LITE. It was a great ride up until February or so and since then it's just been bleeding (as have most of my tech investments). I got out of LITE in March since it was the worst performer of the 3, and plan to hold IIVI and MKSI long, but I'm wary about investing more money on other companies in the same industry. But now, MKSI and IIVI are just buying up smaller companies that shoot up in value while they lose value.

What are you supposed to do? Get out of the larger companies and invest in potential buyout targets?

Just keep holding long until the value manifests, I guess.

Well, that's my laser story.

I'd hold on to MKSI for at least 5 years, at least it's buying companies for "bargain prices". Stock price is going to be lower but that can also mean "buy more". It's on my watch/wish list.

ION Acquisition (IACA) fell to below $10 today and it looks like that might happen again this week. Taboola official merger date is July 9th, a profitable ad/tech company. Going to put my net out to see if I can scoop up some shares with the Nasdaq fallout.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Thanks to all three of you.

The reason I asked was because (as Mea Tulpa guessed) I took a dive into COIN's filings over the weekend and came out with that weird tingling in the back of my head that makes me feel like this may be a screaming buy, at least in the short to medium term. COIN could be the weird sort of stock that ends up looking like BOTH a growth and value play by the time late July rolls around.

COIN direct listed about a month ago, so we don't have a ton of history for it. But let's take a look at the revenue stats that we DO have:
  • Full year 2020: $1,277MM
  • First quarter 2021: $1,800MM
That is loving insane growth.

And profits:
  • Full year 2020: $322MM
  • First quarter 2021: $700-800MM estimated
At the moment I'm seeing COIN's market cap at $59 billion. So this is a crude measure but let's take a quick P/E multiple at today's prices:
  • P/E based on full year 2020 earnings: 183
  • P/E based on first quarter 2021 earnings, annualized: somewhere between 18 and 21
Is it fair to just take Q1 earnings and assume that's what the full year will look like? Probably not. But if anything--if you look at the trading volumes, coin price gains, and general hype cycle--I'd expect Q2 earnings to beat Q1, possibly smoke them. Then annualize that out and see what the multiple looks like. I don't think a company that more than quadruples revenues and earnings in a year is likely to stay around a P/E of 20. It would not surprise me if this thing is around 400 after the Q2 earnings release, assuming there hasn't been a crypto implosion by then (big asterisk there maybe).

There are some bearish headwinds. Crypto can enter a bear market at any time, and transactions would slow down along with it. Even notwithstanding that, it seems likely that Binance, PayPal, or some other entrant will come in and start eating some portion of Coinbase's lunch. It's widely acknowledged that COIN's fees are high; you buy US compliance with that, but the margins Coinbase shows are so ridiculously high that competitors are going to move in, though I'm not sure what the timeline is on that. It's also entirely possible that the market views COIN as something of a melting ice cube and will not reward the company with a high multiple even though the numbers appear to justify it.

Anyway, it's just a trade thesis that is very appealing to me. If anyone wants to shoot holes in it, please do--I'm listening. This morning I bought a nice size slug of way out of the money calls expiring next January (it was pure luck that the shares went on a tear since).

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Agronox posted:

Anyway, it's just a trade thesis that is very appealing to me. If anyone wants to shoot holes in it, please do--I'm listening. This morning I bought a nice size slug of way out of the money calls expiring next January (it was pure luck that the shares went on a tear since).

that annualized 2021 p/e is indeed very appealing.

my attempts to shoot holes for longer-term holding as devil's advocate:
1 - massive regulatory risk, yellen and gensler already discussing regulating exchanges
2 - their margins are gonna get cannibalized by kraken, et al.
3 - like, actual real stock exchanges doing a lot more business aren't worth as much as $COIN
4 - coin nerds will just go to the latest trendy thing, whether it be a btc/ether ETF, or some altcoin not traded on coinbase, etc.
5 - institutional traders offering direct to big clients won't use coinbase as a middleman
6 - basically every 2021 listing/ipo/spac is inflated garbage
7 - they'll disappoint on guidance because nobody can predict that market or its volume for poo poo
8 - DeFi
9 - tulips
10 - crypto reaching peak hype

https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1390623746336215040?s=20

edit: 11 - Cathie Wood and ARK are buying it

but yeah, I dunno, short-dated calls might print?

pmchem fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 11, 2021

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Futures making me nervous for tomorrow. Moved a lot to cash today but would really like the number to go back up 🤨

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I heard ya'll are into spacs and mortgage companies

https://twitter.com/WSJmarkets/status/1391880231456235520?s=20

I used better.com for a refi late last year and they were willing to meet/beat any rando's official Loan Estimate I threw at them. I'm sure their revenues are great and their profits (if they exist) are on very thin margins.

I'll probably be buying puts

edit: I'll admit, their website was excellent for the whole process

pmchem fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 11, 2021

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Agronox posted:

I took a dive into COIN's filings over the weekend and came out with that weird tingling in the back of my head that makes me feel like this may be a screaming buy, at least in the short to medium term. COIN could be the weird sort of stock that ends up looking like BOTH a growth and value play by the time late July rolls around.

Are you looking to invest in crypto without buying crypto? COIN's earnings are going to follow the retail crypto market, and they mainly deal in larger cap coins. Putting aside concerns about competition, their earnings should correlate heavily with activity in BTC, ETH, and a few others. You may be taking on much of the risk in large cap cryptos with less of the upside.

If you think the crypto market will keep growing a good clip, then it could be a good buy if you want some exposure. I'd be concerned about their competition, but for now their biggest competitor is probably Robinhood, which keeps finding ways to irritate newbie crypto investors.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

pmchem posted:

I heard ya'll are into spacs and mortgage companies

https://twitter.com/WSJmarkets/status/1391880231456235520?s=20

I used better.com for a refi late last year and they were willing to meet/beat any rando's official Loan Estimate I threw at them. I'm sure their revenues are great and their profits (if they exist) are on very thin margins.

I'll probably be buying puts

edit: I'll admit, their website was excellent for the whole process

I'm refinancing with them now, nowhere else came close with the rates they offer and I'll agree, their website is miles ahead of everyone else. They'd be an interesting play, I might take some of the money I'm saving and buy a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

dalstrs posted:

I'm refinancing with them now, nowhere else came close with the rates they offer and I'll agree, their website is miles ahead of everyone else. They'd be an interesting play, I might take some of the money I'm saving and buy a bit.

I mean, don't do that at like 30+ p/e if that's what they open at, as the article suggests is a possibility. you'll get killed as shares unlock from insiders and the PIPE and get sold off