Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Wondering what the threads thoughts are on ATOS in the short term. Next month or so and longer term. Just looking to check myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoppingFresh
Aug 18, 2004

It must be the shoes...

Hadlock posted:

Ok options. SOFI is trading around $19.50 right now. I'm pretty familiar with this stock at this point (I guess)

One SOFI $17.50 call buy for 1/21/22 at $6.10

Basically as long as the price goes above $17.50+$6.10=$23.60, say it hits $25 in October ahead of the bank charter, I could exercise this option and make $1.40/share, or $140, right? If it hits $30 that's $6.40/share or $640

If the stock price goes down to $15 I just sell the option for $1, or just don't exercise it and eat the $610 option cost, but I'm not on the hook for buying 100 shares at the higher price. Ideally once it starts trending down below $23 I start looking at exiting my options to minimize losses

Right?

Technically yes, but it isn’t worth exercising an option early outside of a few rare cases. If you want to keep 100 stock for a long term investment, then just exercise at expiration. But if you’re just looking to make a profit (sounds like what you want to do), you just sell the contract whenever the contract/stock reaches your price point.

In your example, the option would be priced well over $7.50 if SOFI reaches $25 a share in October. There would be a lot of extrinsic value left on the contract because it doesn’t expire for another 3 months. If you exercise in Oct, then sell the stock, you’d be leaving a decent amount of money on the table.

And yes, as a buyer of the contract, you aren’t obligated to use it at expiration. If the stock is below the strike price in January, the contact just expires worthless and nothing happens.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tetramin posted:

I’ve been sitting on some F for a while now. I bought it right after the Texas power issues this winter when I found about the sick upcoming F150 with a generator

The new Hyundai Ioniq 5 has a capable outlet as well (they call it "vehicle to load"), I assume this is a feature we're going to see pretty often with electric cars in the future.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Y'all ready for D(eez)NUT? Can't decide if I want to buy puts cuz it's overvalued or calls because it might meme.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mcqueen posted:

They got a gang of good models coming out. Was told by the dude who I buy all my work vans from chips are coming in and the production lines for fleet vehicle are doing work. All the vans I put on order last year are being produced in the next month.

Now my main gripe is BETZ.

https://twitter.com/averygrrl/status/1410516850623008770

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Crosspost re: the American Express platinum annual fee increase:

im on the net me boys posted:

It looks like the Amex Platinum fee is going up to $695 tomorrow so if anyone was on the fence it’s a good time to pull the trigger

The higher annual fee includes a $179 annual statement credit for CLEAR, which coincidentally, IPO'd yesterday as $YOU. It's up about 30% from the initial offering at ~$42 now. The statement credit literally just started today, so I think I'm going to dump some money into YOU (:lol:) because I think the statement credit will meant there will be a lot of new memberships, including my own. I already have TSA precheck, but if I get a statement credit for the full price of CLEAR, why the hell wouldn't I sign up?

E: Also, apparently delta and united loyalty members, which anyone can join for free, can get CLEAR at reduced rates. A family membership for up to 4 people is $50/person. I have United silver status, which should get me CLEAR at $109 and my wife could be added on for $50 getting us both membership for less than the entire statement credit. A no brainer.

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jul 1, 2021

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
AMEX have also upped the annual fee on the BA Platinum Plus card starting in September and diluted the 2for1 BA flights on the zero annual fee card to economy only, both starting in September

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I have pulled my gambling money out, except for the calls I have for ASPS. Had to use my gambling money to get my cousin out of a domestic abuse situation across the country.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Pillowpants posted:

I have pulled my gambling money out, except for the calls I have for ASPS. Had to use my gambling money to get my cousin out of a domestic abuse situation across the country.

Its a good call, always better to invest in your family over irrational gambling.

Not on the same level but depending on how a trip to the mechanic goes I may need to pull out my gambling money to fix my AC. Turns out the 2015 - 2018 Honda Civics have lovely AC units that break so often they were sued, as part of settlement they extended the warranty on the condenser but not the compressor... so it will either be free or from what I looked up a possible $1,000+ fix.

So anyways I will not buy stock in Honda

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cacafuego posted:

The higher annual fee includes a $179 annual statement credit for CLEAR, which coincidentally, IPO'd yesterday as $YOU. It's up about 30% from the initial offering at ~$42 now. The statement credit literally just started today, so I think I'm going to dump some money into YOU (:lol:) because I think the statement credit will meant there will be a lot of new memberships, including my own. I already have TSA precheck, but if I get a statement credit for the full price of CLEAR, why the hell wouldn't I sign up?

E: Also, apparently delta and united loyalty members, which anyone can join for free, can get CLEAR at reduced rates. A family membership for up to 4 people is $50/person. I have United silver status, which should get me CLEAR at $109 and my wife could be added on for $50 getting us both membership for less than the entire statement credit. A no brainer.

Huh. I saw the prospectus but I didn't know enough about airline and travel to feel comfortable buying in during a pandemic when their pandemic-oriented tool seemed a bit half-baked at the moment. (The vaccination checker thing.)

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Damnit I inadvertently lost some SPY calls. My trailing stop was way too tight and I had a premature execution

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
I think they make pills for that.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

cr0y posted:

My trailing stop was way too tight and I had a premature execution

:quagmire:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I managed to sell my CLF 21.5 call during the 1-minute run up it had at open this morning, netting me a cool 63% gain before expiration tomorrow. The price fell off a cliff a minute later, and is now sitting right around where it closed yesterday.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Cacafuego posted:

Or join the active US military and pay zero fees for Amex :clown:

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

I seem to recall a recommendation to use the SMA as confirmation to enter a position when the most recent candle holds above the line, but is that on a 1m view or 5m view, anyone know?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sand Monster posted:

I seem to recall a recommendation to use the SMA as confirmation to enter a position when the most recent candle holds above the line, but is that on a 1m view or 5m view, anyone know?

Blind leading the blind here, but I use an 20 and 50 SMA as indicators, looking for points where the 20 crosses the 50. Up is bullish, down is bearish. I then compare between two frames of reference to see if this is in agreement with a longer-term trend. So if I'm looking at an hourly chart and see the 20 crossing the 50 upwards, I might look at the daily chart to see if we're in a longer term up trend.

Then I'll look for patterns in the candles, see if the RSI is in over or undersold territory, check the standard deviation of %change to see if the movement is reasonable...

I'm reasonably certain this all washes out to the equivalent of reading investment advice from goat entrails while tripping balls.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Son of Rodney posted:

Bought a handful of stock of humanigen HGEN. The wsbog sub currently has a good DD post on it, main takeaway is that it's a short time away from approval for a covid treatment that industry experts are bullish on. It's currently around 17 dollars and the price target is around the mid 35.

Link if anyone's interested

I know next to nothing about any of it but the post sound promising

Apart from that I'm currently betting on a slight correction, the market has been dumping around the same level for a while and there doesn't seem to be that much momentum anymore. I have lost copious amounts of money on puts though so I'm likely wrong again!

Appreciate the post to the detailed write up! I’ve been looking for something that will hopefully move quicker than AHT seems to be doing these days, and I have a background in medicine (not pharmaceuticals though) and this looks as solid as anything else right now. dumped all of my AHT winnings into this, papa needs a new car

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pillowpants posted:

You're a good person. I watched my close friend go through this a while back and spiral downward for a long time. Good on you for doing that

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018

Hadlock posted:

Ok options. SOFI is trading around $19.50 right now. I'm pretty familiar with this stock at this point (I guess)

One SOFI $17.50 call buy for 1/21/22 at $6.10

Thanks for looking at this. Caused me to look at SOFI a bit more again. I bought today at 18.49 and sold a 20$ call for 0.95 at July 16th. Plan to do that once or twice and then potentially sell a longer dated 17.5 call.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

djfooboo posted:

Or join the active US military and pay zero fees for Amex :clown:

The army and navy each turned me down for medical reasons :v:

Update, I’m up nearly 20% today on YOU. May cash out and take my several hundred $$$

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pillowpants posted:

Sounds like you found an even better investment

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Scarodactyl posted:

I wouldn't invest in you
Clearly I was wrong.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

AHT is going for the bottom I think, this is a long term play right yall?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I threw a bit at HGEN too. We'll see how it goes. Buying ETSY at 165ish tuned out nice, pondering whether to cash in or keep riding it out.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

AHT is going for the bottom I think, this is a long term play right yall?

For me it is but I sold half my shares to recoup my buyin + small profit so it's a free ride for me at this point. Temptation to just sell it all is kinda strong tho.

Pillowpants posted:

Good for you. :buddy:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Really wish I sold half my ASPS when I was thinking about it. How do you go from nearly +50% to +25% in a day.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Never don't buy SPY calls

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

cr0y posted:

Never don't buy SPY calls

Feb 2020 would like a word with you, that would have ended in disaster just a month later.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LMAO I should have bought scratchers.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Got out of $YOU when it was 25% up, finally some realized gains. It was only a handful of shares but its better than nothin'.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Hadlock posted:

You're a good person. I watched my close friend go through this a while back and spiral downward for a long time. Good on you for doing that

I am an only child and she's more like a sister than a cousin to me. I didn't even give it a second thought. It's just a shame the abuser didn't die of COVID when he had it.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Me: WISH at 13.10, AHT at 5.05.

Whyyyy do I always get sucked into the memes, it's always 2 steps forward 3 steps back. I averaged down, a few fintwit/"retail" stocks are down today so I'm hoping for a pushback on a green day. I need to get better at finding the bottom on these things.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 1, 2021

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Pillowpants posted:

I am an only child and she's more like a sister than a cousin to me. I didn't even give it a second thought. It's just a shame the abuser didn't die of COVID when he had it.

Good of you to help Melania.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

based trades

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ARTPUP posted:

As well, the AWS that is also a money maker for them is in danger of outside cyber attacks, so there is risk here.

pixaal posted:

MSFT's Azure cloud also kicks the crap out of it. If you are already on AWS it's probably too expensive to move but you are making a misstep if you implement a new AWS implementation when Azure will do it better for less. AWS isn't bad but Amazon doesn't seem to want to put effort into making it better.

BigPaddy posted:

I have done stuff with Google Cloud and prefer it over AWS. You are right that once you are on one of these platforms it is hard and expensive to move off. AWS’ security controls being a cluster gently caress is a reason we see so many stories about a public S3 bucket filled with credit card numbers.

IBM also does infra, although I think mostly as a sideshow to their services. And, Oracle also has an infrastructure cloud ("OCI") that is priced aggressively to compete with AWS and seems to be taking market share (check their fiscal report from, uh, last week I think). Basically the big players in cloud infra are AWS way way out in the lead (by market share), and then Azure, Google, maybe IBM, and maybe Oracle as the major, well-funded companies doing their level best to claw away some of that share. They market and compete on pricing, performance comparisons, flexibility, key/high-profile features, data center location and capacity, speed and cost of implementation, data migration options, and a few other points.

I'm gonna pick on you guys a little here, even though I broadly agree with you, because this style of stock analysis seems rampant these days (here and everywhere else) and I think it leads people to making bad decisions. Basically: I do not buy that AWS's cloud platform security model's issues and complexities of configuration are necessarily going to make a noticeable impact in AWS's share, and even if it does, that won't negatively impact its bottom line. The CIOs making cloud hosting buy decisions do so on more significant bases like the ones I listed above, and delegate dealing with the technical details and challenges like data security etc. to the long-suffering computer janitors that work for them. AWS's security controls being a clusterfuck probably annoys thousands of system integration IT nerds, and actually costs dozens of companies money via security breaches, but the majority of companies still aren't paying any real, significant price for accidentally leaking millions of their customers' credit card numbers or email addresses or whatever; and until they do, that's just not a good enough reason to pony up millions of dollars in costs to lift-and-shift from AWS onto a different cloud infrastructure vendor with arguably, maybe better/easier to use security implementations. And even if I'm wrong, Amazon's growth is coming from the growth of the total market, not from stealing share from its smaller competitors.

None of this is intended to stake out a position on Amazon's actually short, medium, or especially long-term share price; only that if you're deciding whether to be bullish or bearish on that stock (or any stock), beware of narratives like this one that attempt to connect statements about their technology's problems with guesses about their future revenues. It's not enough to be correct about those product issues; you must also be correct that those product issues will prove to be significant to revenue or profits. Maybe I'm wrong and they are... but these are narratives that are impossible to actually verify afterward. Even if the stock goes down, you'll never really know if it was because of this one thing, or (much more likely) just broadly based on gains in market share from competitors, which are due to a confluence of factors.

Here's what IMO is the much much more important factor:

(from here)
Note: Take this chart with some of salt. It is somewhat misleading to combine PaaS and IaaS cloud revenue as if they're the same pool. Consider Salesforce, which is definitely not selling raw infrastructure you can run whatever on and store whatever on. They're selling their middleware platform as a hosted service, that's pure PaaS, salesforce doesn't have an IaaS product at all, and I haven't checked but I don't think tencent or alibaba really do either, and IBMs is more of an afterthought. So Salesforce growing their PaaS business should have zero "market share" impact on Amazon's AWS. 100% of that growth in share would come at the expense of other PaaS (and SaaS) competitors.

Anyway, now look at the same outfit's chart from 2019:

The total market (again, just as these guys judge it) grew from $80B in 2018 to $130B in 2020. That's a lot of fuckin' money that AWS is pulling in via growth of the market while keeping the same or perhaps making a little gain in overall market share; so Amazon could lose five or ten percent market share and still grow year-over-year in revenues because the whole pie is still growing rapidly. Do any of you think AWS's security issues are significant against that tidal wave of new cash pouring into the marketplace? I would guess that if they actually were, Amazon would divert some chunk of its enormous R&D spend into fixing them.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

It doesn’t matter what technical people think of a technology since they are not the ones who sign the contracts. AWS will continue to be big because that is what people see is the market leader so want to use the “best” and having being burned by better technology but limited people with experience with that technology means they don’t want to invest in something they can’t hire people to work on.

AWS will continue to be the main player until something massive happens in that market.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I wasn't saying it would be the downfall but a top on Amazon in the next few years as less sys admins recommend it to the person that signs.

As the person that recommends solutions to the person that signs they don't give one poo poo what we use. They just want it to work.

People will never move off it because only IT would notice the benefit. Whatever the IT manager or CIO recommends at the time the company moves to the cloud is what they will stick with.

Short term doesn't matter but decade or two? Likely will.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Vladdy T had to give his phone over to the feds because of the gamestop shenanigans

poo poo is about to pop offff

Let's all be cool tho

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Nobody ever got fired for recommending Java AWS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I saw people talking about $SPCE (Virgin Galactic) earlier this week but it had just spiked and seemed like a bad time to buy in. Looks like I should have bought the dip though since Branson just announced they're going to space before Musk and it's exploded in AH.