Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Ashford CEO, taking over every TV signal: citizens of Gotham, we are going to dilute our shares by 40 million every hour until our demands are met

Commissioner Gordon: what are your demands?

Ashford CEO: we don't know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The only thing not red today is my cash balance :discourse:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Ashford CEO, taking over every TV signal: citizens of Gotham, we are going to dilute our shares by 40 million every hour until our demands are met

Commissioner Gordon: what are your demands?

Ashford CEO: we don't know

The company makes money when they sell shares. Just not shareholders. The motivation is they wanna sell their stock at like 2.5 or whatever to make cashola and stay in business or whatever, and get upside on the elevated price levels.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Syrinxx posted:

The only thing not red today is my cash balance :discourse:

True, you can’t go negative on $0

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

I played SPY puts almost perfectly today...too bad that only barely offset my AHT CSPs getting destroyed.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
And out of AHT. Only a loss of 238 bucks, which I'm sure undoes every single solitary gain I've made since November. Lesson learned: Don't buy hotel stocks when the world is getting out of a pandemic and stuff is opening back up, instead buy from a failing game retailer.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Leal posted:

And out of AHT. Only a loss of 238 bucks, which I'm sure undoes every single solitary gain I've made since November. Lesson learned: Don't buy hotel stocks when the world is getting out of a pandemic and stuff is opening back up, instead buy from a failing game retailer.

And a dying movie theater chain :eng101:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hey NDRA is under 2.10 again. Time to penny stock

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Spy is still up 20% since November, so you could have played that and be up some, memes aren't the only thing that win in the market.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I guess if ever there was a good time to announce the Pentagon cancelled the $10b deal with Microsoft, now is it.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Still LOLing that they announced a reverse split and dilution simultaneously in after hours.

LMAO my broke rear end will never recover from this.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 6, 2021

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

they haven't done the reverse split yet, read the announcement. it's effective after close july 16
https://www.ahtreit.com/files/5650/AHT_Reverse_Stock_Split_Release.pdf

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

latinotwink1997 posted:

True, you can’t go negative on $0

My good sir, have you read the good word about margin?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

pmchem posted:

they haven't done the reverse split yet, read the announcement. it's effective after close july 16
https://www.ahtreit.com/files/5650/AHT_Reverse_Stock_Split_Release.pdf

*announced, I should have said

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004
So I definitely get the apprehension towards individual Chinese companies, but what about a Chinese index fund? Is there anything comparable to SPY and such?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Red posted:

I guess if ever there was a good time to announce the Pentagon cancelled the $10b deal with Microsoft, now is it.

These 'AMZN Jan 21 2022 3800 Call' that I bought last month plus my long term AMZN holdings has completely wiped out my meme stock losses from the past 4 months so that's nice.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Garfu posted:

These 'AMZN Jan 21 2022 3800 Call' that I bought last month plus my long term AMZN holdings has completely wiped out my meme stock losses from the past 4 months so that's nice.

Wasn't that deal really shady and likely trump just sticking it to bezos?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Russian autonomous robots with video cameras to infest college campuses across the nation, courtesy of grubhub:
https://www.reuters.com/technology/russias-yandex-driverless-robots-deliver-food-us-colleges-with-grubhub-2021-07-06/

gee, no possible way this could go wrong from a privacy / IP theft perspective

$GRUB is now a dutch company that bought out gruhhub, btw

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Any point in holding AHT or just eat my loss? I've already lost a lot... but I will hold forever if that's what it takes.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hodl

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014

pmchem posted:

Russian autonomous robots with video cameras to infest college campuses across the nation, courtesy of grubhub:
https://www.reuters.com/technology/russias-yandex-driverless-robots-deliver-food-us-colleges-with-grubhub-2021-07-06/

gee, no possible way this could go wrong from a privacy / IP theft perspective

$GRUB is now a dutch company that bought out gruhhub, btw

These things are gonna be tempting targets for drunken frat boys

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

nuketulsa posted:

Any point in holding AHT or just eat my loss? I've already lost a lot... but I will hold forever if that's what it takes.

At this point, I've lost 48% on AHT so why the gently caress should I not ride it to the bottom? Let's see this play out! Also, I have a call holding my stock until July 16th so there's not a drat thing I can do about it any way.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

nuketulsa posted:

I mean, eventually global tourism will rebound. It could be 2 or 15 years but those hotels will start printing money again some day. The question is can you make a better return on your remaining value elsewhere in the mean time

Alternately, AHT keeps issuing more stock to stay afloat, and majority investors take ownership of their assets in bankruptcy before global travel returns, leaving you holding the bag

I sold my shares that I bought Friday for a $0.01/share profit this morning :clint:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

At this point, I've lost 48% on AHT so why the gently caress should I not ride it to the bottom? Let's see this play out! Also, I have a call holding my stock until July 16th so there's not a drat thing I can do about it any way.

You can exit the position entirely buying back the call and selling the shares. Gotta be down to like 0.05 if it is down almost half since writing it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

nuketulsa posted:

Real answer is to sell. While you may be tempted to hold until you get your money back, and consider that not losing. You have to keep in mind Opportunity cost. If you take your loss now, and reinvest well that money is making you money. If you keep holding while the ship sinks, even if it rebounds years later, you've lost out on all the money you could've made, and if you "Break Even" you've still lost money because of inflation

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Leal posted:

Hey NDRA is under 2.10 again. Time to penny stock

I made an effort post about $nxtc in the long term investing channel in the discord. Any reason why $ndrc is a thing?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Search the thread for $GOON

TL;DR it's the local meme stock

I bought 20 more shares this morning when it was under $2.10 because lol

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Toalpaz posted:

The company makes money when they sell shares. Just not shareholders. The motivation is they wanna sell their stock at like 2.5 or whatever to make cashola and stay in business or whatever, and get upside on the elevated price levels.

I believe the angle is to pay money to AINC who pays dividends on their preferred shares which are over 75% owned by Monty Bennett and family, who also control the boards of the Ashford companies.

This is just color:

quote:

Bennett has a history in East Texas of spending several hundred thousand dollars to get new board members of a water district elected when he opposed a water pipeline crossing his exotic animal ranch. He also added a graveyard in the proposed pathway of the pipeline and relocated two dead people there in a further attempt to keep the water pipeline off the “prettiest” part of his 1,500 acre ranch.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Le0 posted:

Thanks for sharing this. I'm trying to learn stuff and this looks like a good way. What kind of data feeds do you use to analyze trends and look back at historical data? TC2000 looks good but it's a bit expensive for a newb I think, or is it really that good?

I could get something relatively cheap on IB in comparison at 6USD/month but I'm not sure it's as good? I looked at their app and I'm not sure it's as customizable, namely I couldn't manage to get the Average Daily Range which looks like an important metric.

Any other platform worth looking at?

Ive been going over his stuff too and found that I could get things setup pretty nicely in Think or Swim, although it took some time. ToS is one of those apps that is clearly very powerful and flexible but also absolutely overwhelming to deal with. Ive only been paper trading with that setup for like a week though so it might be a dead end, but if TC2000's fees are a concern for you like they were for me I think its worth a look.

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

Sold off my remaining Photon Control shares. Voted "No" to the deal, wanted more, but was outvoted anyway. Frustrating for small cap stocks. Keeping MKS instruments on my watch list, a little too pricey right now but they bought a great company for a great price...

Taking my winnings and buying more stocks: 606 shares of Corecivic (CXW) @10.26 (below book value) - Michael Burry bought a big chunk and I think it will do fine long term.
3,125 shares of In Play Oil (IPO) @1.44 - Well run company that's one of the fastest drillers in Alberta. Got caught with debt when the price of oil fell but is now recovering quite well. Target is $2.75/share.
1140 shares of Tamarack Valley (TVE) @2.62 - looks really good, target of $6.00/share.
I think oil's going to do really well this year. I still believe Tesla's headed for a crash and I think investors will return to oil. Besides, travel's going to pick up again this year, and planes don't run on batteries. Sticking to Canadian oil producers as I think oil sands and overseas exploration plays are big risks.
640 shares of Sesen Bio (SESN) @4.15 - Biotech penny stock - has Vicinium which is in stage 3 trials to combat bladder cancer and is expected to pass FDA in August. (Where have I heard that before...) Seems like a good gamble.

Another Canadian oil stock is Gran Tierra Energy (GTE) ($.93/share now) which claims to have undeveloped reserves of 26.2 million barrels of oil equivalent. Unfortunately these projects are in Columbia and Ecuador so it's too risky for me to touch. Target is $3 a share so who knows? Also not touching Suncor or Enbridge stock as one is tied up in oil sands projects and the other is sitting on a pipeline #5 timebomb.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I trimmed down my AHT a little to grab some more LUV calls and park some more in GOON for a little bit, but I'm letting the rest ride.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Going from CoreCivic to Canadian oil?

Are you actually Satan IRL?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

How many of those Canadian oil companies are going to send me K-1’s at tax time :v:

I regret not jumping on POCEF when you mentioned it before, perhaps these are good choices as well

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

This actually looks like a decent play. What am I missing?

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/of2qwj/schn_the_scrap_attack_part_i_balls_of_steel/

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Fuckin wave of mid-2000s gbs nostalgia reading that post

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine seeing some multi-page "DD" on reddit and not realizing mental illness wrote it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

Imagine seeing some multi-page "DD" on reddit and not realizing mental illness wrote it.

I mean, leaving aside that this was written by GBS circa 2005, what marks is it missing? I'm interested in a proper dissenting opinion beyond 'lol reddit' because I'm bullish on steel myself right now.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

lol reddit

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

I mean that is why I am asking what I was missing, it does seem like a decent play if you read his analysis. The thing is WSB does occasionally have some gems you just have to dig through a ton of poo poo to find them, especially these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
If I discovered a foolproof method for guaranteed financial success, my first impulse would definitely be to share it on Reddit.