Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I had 200 shares of THCB and I believe as of Monday that I'll have 200 shares of MVST (Microvast) as the SPAC merger has completed. I had previously sold a covered call on THCB though for 9/17. Do I still have a CC On TCHB for that date, or do I have a CC for MVST for that date? Basically, does the option carry over to the new merged ticker, or no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003
The Options Clearing Corporation publishes any adjustments that happen to options due to mergers / splits / etc.

Their site is being lovely for me right now, but this should have the info you need: https://infomemo.theocc.com/infomemos?number=49030

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Cacafuego posted:

I had 200 shares of THCB and I believe as of Monday that I'll have 200 shares of MVST (Microvast) as the SPAC merger has completed. I had previously sold a covered call on THCB though for 9/17. Do I still have a CC On TCHB for that date, or do I have a CC for MVST for that date? Basically, does the option carry over to the new merged ticker, or no?

from my previous experiences with SPAC ticker changes, I'd expect to have a CC for MVST on Monday.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Michael Corleone posted:

I will be liquidating my stocks on Monday when they are all sold and settled, so cool it! What I don't understand is how they have me booked at a 350ish gain and I lost about 175ish so idk. I have deferred losses for next year I guess, looks like it adds up. Also, I sold my AMC stock for -140ish (lol) and they booked it as -600 something. Oh well. Thanks for putting up with me, probably going to go to the real stock thread from now on. Are there actually dividend stocks that will pay out 2.5%ish or more a year and stay steady or increase. Going to me much smarter now.

Off the top of my head, $ko $mcd $pg $pfe $jnj $mrk $khc $flo are all around 3% dividend and are either pharma or consumer staples stocks.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

ChineseBuffet posted:

The Options Clearing Corporation publishes any adjustments that happen to options due to mergers / splits / etc.

Their site is being lovely for me right now, but this should have the info you need: https://infomemo.theocc.com/infomemos?number=49030

FasterThanLight posted:

from my previous experiences with SPAC ticker changes, I'd expect to have a CC for MVST on Monday.

Thanks both, I’ll report back Monday!

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
T and XOM are my favorite dividend stocks at the moment.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KING and NOBL are divided aristocrat ETFs if you want to get the dividends without doing the homework

NOBL is about $50/share and the napkin math works out that you can auto reinvest the quarterly dividend to buy 1x more shares quarterly holding $4900 worth of NOBL

There's very recent discussion about dividend vs non dividend stocks and long term earning over in the "not gambling with all your money" stock thread

I recently picked up some PCG which historically pays out $0.50/share dividend quarterly, and is priced at $9 a share right now (but they won't start paying dividends again until 2023 so YMMV)

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Hadlock posted:

KING and NOBL are divided aristocrat ETFs if you want to get the dividends without doing the homework

NOBL is about $50/share and the napkin math works out that you can auto reinvest the quarterly dividend to buy 1x more shares quarterly holding $4900 worth of NOBL

There's very recent discussion about dividend vs non dividend stocks and long term earning over in the "not gambling with all your money" stock thread

I recently picked up some PCG which historically pays out $0.50/share dividend quarterly, and is priced at $9 a share right now (but they won't start paying dividends again until 2023 so YMMV)

That would mean PCG is more than a 20% dividend in 2023, correct? Is that sustainable?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Cacafuego posted:

That would mean PCG is more than a 20% dividend in 2023, correct? Is that sustainable?

PCG is still in bankruptcy, I wouldn't bet on its divvy going right back up to $0.50/sh

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pg&e exited bankruptcy a couple weeks ago. Pg&e goes through bankruptcy every 20-40 years, but they're the largest private landowner in California + society would collapse without electricity

I would never suggest pg&e in the long term investing thread, lmao. If they start paying dividends based on earnings again, the stock price will rise again, presumably. Also California legislature passed a bunch of bills that nullifies pg&e from financial risk, that all take effect this year

That said PG&E has already admitted fault for several fires this month so I can't recommend them. But this is the gambling thread and I'll readily admit I've put $300 on black and I'm putting $40/mo into it because lol but not expecting any kind of return for at least 24 months

My unsolicited advice is buy losers like AHT or $GOON before buying PCE. But neither of those will likely pay dividends in our lifetime

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 24, 2021

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Hadlock posted:

Pg&e exited bankruptcy a couple weeks ago. Pg&e goes through bankruptcy every 20-40 years, but they're the largest private landowner in California + society would collapse without electricity

I would never suggest pg&e in the long term investing thread, lmao. If they start paying dividends based on earnings again, the stock price will rise again, presumably. Also California legislature passed a bunch of bills that nullifies pg&e from financial risk, that all take effect this year

That said PG&E has already admitted fault for several fires this month so I can't recommend them. But this is the gambling thread and I'll readily admit I've put $300 on black and I'm putting $40/mo into it because lol but not expecting any kind of return for at least 24 months

My unsolicited advice is buy losers like AHT or $GOON before buying PCE. But neither of those will likely pay dividends in our lifetime

Message received loud and clear, all in on pg&e

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

The Big Jesus posted:

Message received loud and clear, all in on pg&e

NDRA AHT PGC it is!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Hadlock posted:

took me a bit but it KNGS not KING...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cacafuego posted:

NDRA AHT PGC it is!

Honestly $GOON2 might pay out sooner than AHT? AHT has that predatory shareholder, whereas $GOON2 is a fortune 200 company. Bonus: it's a two time convicted felon, and the news about it is pretty entertaining as they're the chronicle's go-to punching bag when it's a slow news day, plus wildfire stuff

I was looking for a second weekend project, I guess I can write a thing that lets you generate arbitrary ETFs and $STAIR could be a combination of NDRA/AHT/PCG as an initial case :shrug:

edit: I'm also holding several calls for $DIDI subscribe to my newsletter

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 25, 2021

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
PG&E? That's small potatoes.

I'm handing over my entire paycheck to Clown Hitler, the baby-eating inventor of the spam call.

His personal politics are bad, but if his plan to poison every puppy is successful then I'm going to be a millionaire.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Duh, the AMC stuff was a Wash Sale. I made a ton of money on it during 2 swings, but have been losing ever since, every time I sell they are booking huge losses on paper for next year, oh well. Thanks for the Dividend tips, that seems safe and really smart for retirement, long term.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I am really hoping my P/L on eTrade is accurate in terms of tracking wash sales and what not. Individual transactions will be marked as a wash and will show what my deferred loss is so I'm assuming the numbers are correct. Im really nervous about taxes next year, everything I can see says I am setting enough aside but I really should just hire an accountant.

gently caress taxes. You didn't diamond hand those stonks uncle Sam 🤨

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Best Tax/Stock story I have is when I had some RSUs that vested and Fidelity just don’t bother putting the cost basis on the 1099-B so you have to manually work it out yourself since they leave it blank. So if you just copy the numbers over from the form to your return without reading how RSUs are reporting the IRS sends you a nasrygram years later for income tax you already paid on the vested RSUs because it is up to you to put the correct cost basis in as it is to hard for large investment service provider to do that for you.

Had to amend the return, send a long letter back to the IRS pointing out the cost basis and the number of shares withheld to pay income tax etc… just a pain but I can see some people getting a $25k demand with less than a month to pay on it and just freaking out.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Michael Corleone posted:

Duh, the AMC stuff was a Wash Sale. I made a ton of money on it during 2 swings, but have been losing ever since, every time I sell they are booking huge losses on paper for next year, oh well. Thanks for the Dividend tips, that seems safe and really smart for retirement, long term.

Losses realized on AMC at this time will go on your 2021 taxes… not next year

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

You people actually have to deal with this poo poo? I can just log on to the tax website where the government already worked it out and click the "yea looks good to me mate" button.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

In the US pretty much everyone has to file taxes every year because there is an entire industry around people doing it who lobby to keep it that way because money.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Mymla posted:

You people actually have to deal with this poo poo? I can just log on to the tax website where the government already worked it out and click the "yea looks good to me mate" button.

The US tax code is 6,560 pages long.

Yes I am serious.

Also with my SPY calls being basically ATM this week is gonna be either very much fun or definately not very much fun.

cr0y fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 25, 2021

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

BigPaddy posted:

In the US pretty much everyone has to file taxes every year because there is an entire industry around people doing it who lobby to keep it that way because money.

It's really a testament to how cheap it is to buy the US government. It's not like banking, or energy, or health care, or the military-industrial complex, where the rentiers are protecting trillion dollar feed troughs. Tax prep industry revenue in 2020 was $11 billion dollars. Similar sized industries: trade shows/conventions, check cashing, tooth whitening.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
if goons are bandwagoning onto pg&e i look forward to it's breakup and nationalization in the next two months

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

cr0y posted:

The US tax code is 6,560 pages long.

Yes I am serious.

Also with my SPY calls being basically ATM this week is gonna be either very much fun or definately not very much fun.

why have you circled some of these

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

It's really a testament to how cheap it is to buy the US government. It's not like banking, or energy, or health care, or the military-industrial complex, where the rentiers are protecting trillion dollar feed troughs. Tax prep industry revenue in 2020 was $11 billion dollars. Similar sized industries: trade shows/conventions, check cashing, tooth whitening.

Tax prep industry obviously lobbies in favor of complicated taxes, but that's far from the only reason we have complicated taxes;
  • The 1%ers enjoy much lower real tax rates by piling up loopholes that the vast majority of voters neither understand or even realize exist
  • Both parties enjoy enacting policy via taxes (specifically, special tax benefits) because this hides the actual cost of those policies and "tax cut" is a popular concept to the public ear
  • Our federal system has created 50 different unique state tax situations, so every individual actually has (at least) two entities to pay tax to (not every state has an income tax but they all require some kind of tax form annually)
  • Both parties are bought and paid for by corporate interests, and corporations do exactly the same thing as the 1%ers: lobby for and claim special tax exemptions on an individual company or industry or region or state or related-federal-department etc. basis, each of which is always easier to get into a bill than an actual payment that shows up in the federal budget

There's probably more reasons but those are the big ones that are obvious to me. If we eliminated Intuit et. al. tomorrow, not one drat thing would change about our complicated tax situations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

It's less that it's been bought and more that it just isn't really noteworthy. Most people hate doing their taxes but have accepted it. There just isn't any sort of groundswell of support for changing the taxing apparatus the way there is for healthcare or what have you.

If it actually became an issue it would probably get changed pretty drat quick. Neither side of the aisle is going to bat for h&r block or intuit

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Mymla posted:

Yes, in the US we're required to send the IRS a bunch of paperwork, most of which the IRS already has a copy of.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

The thing is at the end of the day most people are spending maybe half an hour a year and like $20 to file taxes, which means the level of caring for the average person is extremely low.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Leperflesh posted:

Tax prep industry obviously lobbies in favor of complicated taxes, but that's far from the only reason we have complicated taxes;
  • The 1%ers enjoy much lower real tax rates by piling up loopholes that the vast majority of voters neither understand or even realize exist
  • Both parties enjoy enacting policy via taxes (specifically, special tax benefits) because this hides the actual cost of those policies and "tax cut" is a popular concept to the public ear
  • Our federal system has created 50 different unique state tax situations, so every individual actually has (at least) two entities to pay tax to (not every state has an income tax but they all require some kind of tax form annually)
  • Both parties are bought and paid for by corporate interests, and corporations do exactly the same thing as the 1%ers: lobby for and claim special tax exemptions on an individual company or industry or region or state or related-federal-department etc. basis, each of which is always easier to get into a bill than an actual payment that shows up in the federal budget

There's probably more reasons but those are the big ones that are obvious to me. If we eliminated Intuit et. al. tomorrow, not one drat thing would change about our complicated tax situations.

The complexity of the tax code is a different issue. There's 20 year old legislation that would make Turbotax et al obsolete and periodic pushes to get the IRS program implemented and for a few million a year in lobbying costs the tax preparers have managed to keep it in drydock.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/taxes/turbotax-h-r-block-spend-millions-lobbying-us-keep-doing-n736386

https://www.propublica.org/article/filing-taxes-could-be-free-simple-hr-block-intuit-lobbying-against-it

https://sunlightfoundation.com/2013/04/15/tax-preparers-lobby-heavily-against-simple-filing/

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/1/21045779/irs-turbotax-free-file-h-r-block-tax-preparation-new-rules

I guess the last link means the situation is improving since the IRS is now allowed to develop their own filing software and is pushing back against the tax preparers hiding that you can file your taxes for free.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Michael Corleone posted:

I will be liquidating my stocks on Monday when they are all sold and settled, so cool it! What I don't understand is how they have me booked at a 350ish gain and I lost about 175ish so idk. I have deferred losses for next year I guess, looks like it adds up. Also, I sold my AMC stock for -140ish (lol) and they booked it as -600 something. Oh well. Thanks for putting up with me, probably going to go to the real stock thread from now on. Are there actually dividend stocks that will pay out 2.5%ish or more a year and stay steady or increase. Going to me much smarter now.

Oscar Wild posted:

Do you know what a wash sale is? Did you experience a wash sale?

Michael Corleone posted:

I do and don't believe so. It isn't much gain so I don't care, taxes should sort themselves out.

Michael Corleone posted:

I give up.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

if goons are bandwagoning onto pg&e i look forward to it's breakup and nationalization in the next two months

From your lips to God's ears. :pray:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Ok well now I'm DEFINITELY buying PG&E so those silly Californians can get a taste of the absolute glory of Tennessee's socialist power grid and piss cheap 2gig internet.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Ok well now I'm DEFINITELY buying PG&E so those silly Californians can get a taste of the absolute glory of Tennessee's socialist power grid and piss cheap 2gig internet.

The TVA was where America peaked.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Michael Corleone posted:

Duh, the AMC stuff was a Wash Sale. I made a ton of money on it during 2 swings, but have been losing ever since, every time I sell they are booking huge losses on paper for next year, oh well.

I'm not sure you know how a wash sale works, still

either that or I don't (as someone who got his rear end handed to him by the wash sale rule once, I think I do)

EDIT: Yep, I do understand it correctly. Makes me wonder how many of these stimmy RH traders are going to get rekt by the wash sale rule and not know it. Gonna be a bad surprise come tax time.

4/20 NEVER FORGET fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 25, 2021

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Oscar Wild posted:

I give up.

This seems to be the conclusion that everyone who tries to help MC eventually reaches.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
NDRA Goons....do you feel it.....a warm breeze coming from somewhere out on the horizon.....it brings the scent of glory. Are you ready?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Surprisingly Dope posted:

NDRA Goons....do you feel it.....a warm breeze coming from somewhere out on the horizon.....it brings the scent of glory. Are you ready?

That's just California on fire again thanks to our friends at $PGC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

To the moon!