Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

I will probably be trading TSLA, LCID, and RIVN a lot this week

Maybe the MJ stocks too. Showing some of the first signs of a reversal on longer timeframes (particularly MSOS). If it follows through then there's a lot of meat on the bone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Uranium 235 posted:

I will probably be trading TSLA, LCID, and RIVN a lot this week

Both ways or for one particular movement? Sick man WKHS is heavily shorted and reports this week, by the way.

Uranium 235 posted:

Maybe the MJ stocks too. Showing some of the first signs of a reversal on longer timeframes (particularly MSOS). If it follows through then there's a lot of meat on the bone.

CGC is way down and just endured another selloff on guidance, you looking at that? Dilution seems like a real threat with those companies.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

LLCoolJD posted:

Both ways or for one particular movement? Sick man WKHS is heavily shorted and reports this week, by the way.
I'm looking for trades in either direction, just depends on what sets up during the week.

quote:

CGC is way down and just endured another selloff on guidance, you looking at that? Dilution seems like a real threat with those companies.
I'm probably going to focus on US MJ stocks since they moved on news about efforts to legalize in the US. Ideally MSOS will hold the low of Friday and change the trend on the daily timeframe. I'm not that concerned with dilution. I'm not super knowledgeable about their fundamentals but I looked at the 10Qs for CGC, TLRY, and TCNNF and they all have hundreds of millions in cash. It's not like they're microcap biotechs with no cash and no revenue.

Again, I'm not much of a swing trader, so if I do swing long on any MJ stocks, it will be with a relatively small position that I'll be comfortable with stopping out on. I think there's an asymmetric risk:reward opportunity with these.

What's got me interested is the unusually high volume on MSOS on Friday. Need to see follow through over the next couple weeks.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Uranium 235 posted:

I'm looking for trades in either direction, just depends on what sets up during the week.

I'm probably going to focus on US MJ stocks since they moved on news about efforts to legalize in the US. Ideally MSOS will hold the low of Friday and change the trend on the daily timeframe. I'm not that concerned with dilution. I'm not super knowledgeable about their fundamentals but I looked at the 10Qs for CGC, TLRY, and TCNNF and they all have hundreds of millions in cash. It's not like they're microcap biotechs with no cash and no revenue.

Again, I'm not much of a swing trader, so if I do swing long on any MJ stocks, it will be with a relatively small position that I'll be comfortable with stopping out on. I think there's an asymmetric risk:reward opportunity with these.

What's got me interested is the unusually high volume on MSOS on Friday. Need to see follow through over the next couple weeks.
What's your basket? I'm still interested in the sector but am only holding HYFM

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

LCID now over $45, meanwhile RIVN raised their IPO target from $57-62 to $72-74...

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

AMD up 11% today almost makes up for the fact that I didn't buy NVDA back when it split.

Looks like it's because this news that AMD scored a deal with fbook.

quote:

Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) is about to enter the metaverse.

The chip giant said its EPYC chips were selected by Meta (formerly known as Facebook) to help power its data centers at its virtual Accelerated Data Center Premiere event Monday. AMD explained the two companies worked together to develop a high-performance, power-efficient processor based on the company's 3rd Generation EPYC processor.

The high-profile win accompanied several announcements from AMD, including some specifics around upcoming EPYC processors codenamed “Genoa” and “Bergamo.” AMD dubbed the Genoa processor as the "world’s highest performance processor for general purpose computing."

“We are in a high-performance computing megacycle that is driving the demand for more computer to power the services and devices that impact every aspect of our daily lives," AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su said in a statement.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Red posted:

There are lots of battery stocks out there, but I like ABML. One analyst article really likes it, but doesn't actually clearly say why:

Link: https://moneymorning.com/2021/09/02/ive-been-watching-this-1-50-battery-stock-for-a-year-buy-now/

None of that really tells me why it has any reason to go up, but looking briefly at some of his other picks, he turned out to be right.

Anyway, I think ABML is worth a gamble:

- They filed to be listed on NASDAQ back in May. Getting in would be a big boost.
- The price ($1.40s) is nice; back in May, there was some initial excitement about the potential for a NASDAQ listing, and they were in the low to mid $2s.
- There's a new CEO: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/american-battery-metals-corporation-announces-122000084.html

The new CEO thing may not be big news, but he's an internal promotion, and is from Tesla. Why is that significant?

Link: https://www.proactiveinvestors.com/...ada-925520.html

Because this company is building a facility near a Tesla plant. If/when they get up and going (always a big if), they have a built-in partner. I think that's worth a small risk.

ABML is up ~17-18% today, for some reason.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
I bought some PPSI at open after seeing it gap up in the premarket. Aside from DWAC, which was so obvious it doesnt really count, its my first big winner in a while. Feels good.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Femtosecond posted:

AMD up 11% today almost makes up for the fact that I didn't buy NVDA back when it split.

Looks like it's because this news that AMD scored a deal with fbook.

I went with Qualcomm, because I like dividends, and I felt like it had more built-in reliability, but then, I didn't buy any when it dipped to $122. :(

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Gold miners are cheap for the current gold price, and platinum and silver are both historically cheap compared to gold.

Silver options up 30% today :toot: guess fed taper is last week's news, inflation to the moon is back on the table

SLV is approaching it's 3 month high

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

No idea wtf just happened to NEGG but I dumped my shares that I'd been bagholding for awhile for some profit

movax
Aug 30, 2008

When is XLNX / AMD merger supposed to close again? I occasionally bought more XLNX keeping in mind the fixed exchange ratio, but at this point, I'm either selling some XLNX for long-term gains or letting it roll into AMD. Stuck in Chinese regulatory hell?

Each XLNX share gets you 1.72 shares of AMD... XLNX is around $208, AMD jumped to $152 on the Facebook announcement... wonder if its worth getting back into some XLNX.

movax fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 8, 2021

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Is $SQ dead? I have some Jan 22 $300 calls that I should've set a stoploss on, and didn't because I thought I was averaging down. :)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

gay picnic defence posted:

That's been the issue with the hyped EV startups for a couple of years now. Companies like Ford, VW, Nissan etc have eased into EVs without much fuss and last I heard are out selling Tesla by a fair margin.

The startups might have a little bit of IP that gives them an edge over a specific aspect of EVs, but in the long run that is nothing on the advantage of having existing supply chains, mass production capability and distribution channels.

EV have existed since the 1800s. What ip? Self crashing cars? They all do that too. All you need is a brick.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

tell me about charging networks, I know tesla has its national network, where do you go to charge up an EV ford, and can I buy stock in it

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Leperflesh posted:

tell me about charging networks, I know tesla has its national network, where do you go to charge up an EV ford, and can I buy stock in it

Do EVs use proprietary charging Hardware?! I assumed every electric vehicle used the exact same plug. They don't actually give one crap about saving the world or whatever if you need a different charger for every brand

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's been a lot of development in AC automotive motors

Managing waste heat in the battery

Consumer-complexity-level electrical charging, safely, measured in tens of kilowatts

Migration of mechanical functions (hydraulics, charging the accessory battery, coolant pumps, air conditioning) from sapping mechanical power off the engine, to electric direct drive

Moving stuff like the air conditioner from literally bolted to the engine, to a box in the trunk, has dramatically changed the shape and thermodynamics of that function. Tesla has a unified box that does AC, heat, and battery temp control plus some other stuff and dramatically reduced parts complexity/redundancy which has added additional cabin space while decreasing cost and improving reliability

Can you wire some lead acid batteries to a DC motor with a resistor and make it go? Sure. Most electric cars today have a high efficiency inverter and run off AC though so it's hard to make any direct comparisons between a 2010+ electric car and an electric golf cart

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Do EVs use proprietary charging Hardware?! I assumed every electric vehicle used the exact same plug. They don't actually give one crap about saving the world or whatever if you need a different charger for every brand

Yes there are proprietary plugs-- and then there are some converters-- and some of those converters are very expensive

https://shop.tesla.com/en_au/product/chademo-adapter

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

How could you make even more money if you standardize plugs?

Really hate the SoFi earnings coming up on Wed - thinking inflation is gonna cause a market bloodbath, amping up the risk on that significantly.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
God drat, I had no idea EVs were still so far from being viable

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

MetaJew posted:

Yes there are proprietary plugs-- and then there are some converters-- and some of those converters are very expensive

https://shop.tesla.com/en_au/product/chademo-adapter

The chademo adaptor vs the virgin petrol pump

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Leperflesh posted:

Pretty much every EV on the road (except Tesla) uses the J1772 plug for regular charging and CCS or Chademo for fast charging, although Chademo is quickly disappearing. The majority of the chargers in my area are:
Chargepoint (CHPT)
EVgo (EVGO)
Blink (BLNK)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

what is wrong with USB-C?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

Chargepoint, CHPT, is all over. Not even sure who is second, EVConnect? Issue is they are slow. Old workplace put one in, and we had to coordinate to kick people off because it would basically take 4 hours just to get enough charge to get home. People would just sit on the 4 slots all day if there wasn't a time limit.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

How could you make even more money if you standardize plugs?

Really hate the SoFi earnings coming up on Wed - thinking inflation is gonna cause a market bloodbath, amping up the risk on that significantly.

Yeah Wednesday is going to be a bloodbath, I'm slightly concerned about my 11/12 calls; planning on buying some LEAPs Wednesday if things seriously tank

Over in the long term investing thread someone pointed out the I bonds are at 7.2% as of last week

Curious to see how my silver options fare, this is my first inflation play

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ok I googled and it looks like https://insideevs.com/news/545214/non-tesla-supercharger-pilot-everything/
Tesla has magnanimously planned to allow non-Teslas to supercharge at their stations, for 57 cents per kWh, eventually, if you have a compatible plug; they're piloting that program in the Netherlands now.

Now, I'm wondering where the new EV startups will find 100,000 batteries, is there a surplus coming from factories now or no?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Norway has a battery mfg, FREY, coming online early next year

I think Bosch has a small plant going online in Germany. Battery supply for non vertically integrated companies is going to be painful for a while yet is my guess

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Price is also an issue but I don't think I am alone in saying that keeping an EV charged without delays and inconveniences is a major concern. It's much easier (for now) to swing by the pumps.

I'd be wary of holding TSLA once people start zipping through the suburbs in their electric Ford trucks.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Hadlock posted:

Norway has a battery mfg, FREY, coming online early next year

I think Bosch has a small plant going online in Germany. Battery supply for non vertically integrated companies is going to be painful for a while yet is my guess

I’m assuming some of the smaller startups with decent battery tech are just going to get gobbled up by Duracell etc with the manufacturing infrastructure in place.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What’s the deal with investing in a spac? What happens once the merger is complete? I’ve googled it but I can’t seem to understand it with my incredibly smooth brain

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Bape Culture posted:

What’s the deal with investing in a spac? What happens once the merger is complete? I’ve googled it but I can’t seem to understand it with my incredibly smooth brain

Assuming it goes through, the ticker will eventually change over to one that reflects the company that was acquired, and at that point it's essentially just another public company (no longer a spac).

E.g. IPOE turned into SOFI

E: your brokerage should handle this automatically for you

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

That makes sense. I’m looking at GGPI for the pre Polestar sale and it seems remarkably cheap. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
There is a lot of SPAC overlap in this thread, but check out https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3957725

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My experience with SPACS is that until a week or two before the ticker changes, the price isn't going to lift off above $12 due to uncertainty in the deal ever closing

If there's a spac I'm especially interested in I'll set a Google news alert for it and keep tabs on it, but in the mean time with SPY earning +40% per year (right now) it's difficult to keep any amount of money parked in a $10 SPAC for more than a couple of weeks

Buying spac lotto tickets is fun but hard to justify their payout vs a virtually guaranteed* 40% annual return lotto ticket

*past performance does not necessarily predict future results

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Your brokerage may or may not charge you a fee for the ticket change also. Might not be a big deal depending on the size of your trade

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Shoulda dumped more in RYCEY I spose. Didn’t think it’d return this fast even.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I have been kinda absent from this thread as of late. Do people still hold $GOON? It has dropped significantly over the last few months, so I figured people in this thread were selling (I seem to recall we held a higher than expected amount when a count was done)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

heck no man I look at that low low price and I double down sir, even triple down

Leperflesh posted:

Checked in to $GOON yesterday and decided to buy the current dip. +500 shares of NDRA @ $1.67 today. My position is now 800 shares at average cost basis of about $1.83.

Dang lookit that $1.41 today, I need to burn invest another thousand dolalrs into to this winner

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

heck no man I look at that low low price and I double down sir, even triple down

Dang lookit that $1.41 today, I need to burn invest another thousand dolalrs into to this winner

Other than throwing good money after bad, what is the current justification on NDRA? It's so cheap that I'm tempted to also set fire to a pile of dollar bills and buy another 500, but is there any news? Anything even close to an exit strategy?

I have been informed, repeatedly and with great gravity, by various members on goon discord that FDA Monday is right around the corner for NDRA and has been for many weeks! Surely next Monday will be the one! Please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Red posted:

ABML is up ~17-18% today, for some reason.

I bought 1000 shares a while back. I refer to it as my dirt pile. As in, "my dirt pile went up 18% today".

I bought in at 1.40 per share. Was nice to finally see it go in the green. Just debating whether I sell at $6 or $10.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 9, 2021