Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I don't know how many of you follow or trade SPACs but $CCH has been preparing to take Utz public for months and the deal was announced as completed right as the market closed. I've been increasing my position for a few weeks now and the growth has been solid but it's expected to really kick in Monday morning when they begin trading as $UTZ.

Utz has been privately owned for about a century and is one of the country's biggest snack companies. The revenue growth and valuation look very solid. Obviously do your own DD, etc etc. There's a good chance of a significant return if you get in at the opening bell on Monday.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200828005352/en/Utz-Quality-Foods-Collier-Creek-Holdings-Complete

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chloesorvino/2020/08/28/exclusive-utz-ceo-talks-family-history-and-companys-pending-ipo/amp/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Kingnothing posted:

Bought a little. Is the play to buy today and sell on Monday near open when it hopefully shoots up during market hours? Or is it meant to be held?

SPACs can be very volatile during the premerger negotiations, especially if things fall through or there's a vote to delay. The nice thing is that there's a price floor of roughly $10 because that's about the amount you'll be refunded if they choose to walk away. On Monday when they trade as UTZ instead of CCH, it should behave like any other security. Their revenue growth is consistently good and they are currently significantly undervalued compared to the industry average.

I'm going to watch the ticker like a hawk on Monday and I'll look for a good place to take profits. Whether that's Monday or later in the week, I don't know. Jim Cramer (lol) has talked it up several times and the financial press really just ramped up today.

I'll be putting the majority of my (hopeful) profits into SHLL which is on the verge of taking Hyliion public in the next month or two. That could be the real moneymaker, with exciting EV products that actually exist. NKLA was all BS and still hit 90. SHLL has moved up decently this week but it's still a bit early. There's still time to get on that train.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 28, 2020

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

I was yesterday. That's part of the reason why many of the top SPACs tanked yesterday afternoon.

Basically, any SPAC that's significantly down the road already and has signed agreements isn't going to be affected. Moving forward it will probably lessen the number of new entries. SPACs also pay to carefully evaluate the target company's books before making the decision to move forward. With a direct IPO there may be a greater chance of funny business from a company that wants to ram it through. For a large and/or established private company this will probably not be an issue, but for a brand new ventures it will probably be safer for investors to stick to SPACs.

After CCH/UTZ and SHLL/HYLN, I'm going to be watching the internet gambling venture LCA and after that, I dunno. I'll have to wait and see how the new alternative shakes out.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 29, 2020

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Chad Sexington posted:

Interesting. I've never looked closely at SPACs before. I find the case for Utz much more straightforward, but Hyliion seems riskier. Obviously you hope for that magic EV pop, but that tech looks like something bigger players could swoop in and comodify.

Are you buying warrants for max leverage or sticking to the safety of shares?

I'm in a mix of shares and calls. Share-heavy for SHLL because we don't have a Hyliion date yet, and very Call-heavy in UTZ since they go public on Monday. My 9/18 17.5c will be closed by Friday.

LCA GRAF and LCA are the others I'm watching for the next few months.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
the CCH to UTZ ticker change has been delayed until tomorrow morning for a bunch of brokers. Expect it to be all messed up with low volume until tomorrow. Nuts.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I was hoping to cash in on the UTZ pop today to free up for RKT earnings on 9/2. Hopefully tomorrow brings me joy.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Cacafuego posted:

How is RKT expected to do? I expect earnings to be good, but it looked a bit risky to stay in after earnings.

Preliminary earnings look excellent but it's hard to know how much is now priced in. Wednesday could be flat, or it could be a huge pop. It's no sure thing but I don't imagine the price will drop.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

KidDynamite posted:

NVDA conference announcing new GPUs today at noon. they’re at all time high but this market is what it is. Anyone making plays?

there was a quick pop but it's already come down. NVDA is a good long-term play and when I run out of interesting SPACs I'll rebuy and hold some shares.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

doingitwrong posted:

Are we at A, B, C, or D?

C

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Chad Sexington posted:

Good call, whoever pointed out SHLL last page.

no problem :respek:

the warrants are underpriced by like $30 so that's a much better move than buying stock.

GRAF is the other SPAC popping off this week with an official merger announcement expected soon. Warrants are about $20 below share price. Those are my two buy and holds right now.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

ranbo das posted:

How exactly do you find the strike price of a warrant? For example, GMHIW? Most sites seem to treat it like a stock and don't give info on strike or expiration.

you have to search the filings. For the big ones the SPAC community is watching right now (SHLL, GRAF, DPHC, LCA) it's 11.50. So add 11.5 to the warrant cost and if that's less than the current common stock price, you've found a bargain. You just have to verify that it's a 1:1 warrant/common conversion. GRAF is 4:3 but the others I listed are 1:1.

tldr do your own DD, then Buy SHLL warrants. They're trading around $30 below common price and the merger is probably a few weeks away. SHLL becomes Hyliion, which is like Nikola except with actual products, billions in sales contracts, and a competent management team. Nerds are saying expect it to go 100+.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Bored As gently caress posted:

How do you get access to buy those warrants?

they're tradable like any other security. Just a different ticker. SHLL and GRAF are SHLL+ and GRAF+ on TDA. DPHC is DPHCW. I'm holding 5 figures worth of warrants in each. They'll pop off when the mergers are announced, and the warrants should rise to 11 or 12 bucks below common price.

If you can't find the tickers then you're probably on Robinhood like a total scrub, and I apologize for getting your hopes up.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 2, 2020

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

decypher posted:

Do the warrants turn into shares? I am dumb

https://www.reddit.com/r/SPACs/comments/icya8v/a_beginners_faq_guide_to_spac_warrants/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Don't trade TSLA, it's ridiculously volatile

unless you're playing long dated puts

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

Well, here's that dip everyone was supposedly waiting to buy.

WSB is absolutely losing it lmao

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

movax posted:

Is today SPAC buy-in day?

I'm thinking Monday

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

movax posted:

I got some SHLLWS and GRAFWS today, and toed into DPHC. I actually had poked into HCAC a few months ago, but got nervous and exited it at like $2 gain.

I'll get back in when things settle down. SHLL merger announcement is rumored to be in the next week or two. Definitely need to get in before that. The others can wait because there's nothing imminent. The market might be in full meltdown and I'm not going to play Find The Bottom

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
the discount price of SHLL warrants makes no sense and I don't have a good explanation. Once a SPAC merger is official, the warrants should rise to 11 or 12 bucks below share price.

Some brokers (RH) don't allow warrant trading due to past user error. There's also a lockout period after merger if you want to exercise the warrants to trade them for shares, but I have no plans on doing so.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
holy moley lol

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Will tommorow be VIX Calls or Buy The Dip? I'm waiting until 10am to decide. I'm thinking VIX, but this stupid market has made me look foolish many times.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Feels like a VXX call day tomorrow. Probably 9/11 33c.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
WSB is melting down lmao

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I'm Cash Gang except for a few FDX/COST/SHLL calls so I'm ready for the bloodletting

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

shame on an IGA posted:

So is the wider market drop being driven by accounts with tesla long options getting liquidated by their brokers or lol accounts with tesla long options don't contain other assets

SoftBank 4B options play got publicized on Friday and they probably unloaded their positions Friday, today, or both. Some of the air under the tech balloon has been let out.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I'm kicking myself for not buying Tesla puts this morning. I got busy at work right off the bat and lost track of the day.. If Tesla pops back up in the next few days it means I bought puts Wednesday morning

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
SHLL/HYLN merger date was just announced today as 9/28. GRAF/VLDR merger is also coming before the end of the month with some material SEC fillings today as well. Both are set to pop off and IMO are a good investment for the rest of the month especially if you're in need of some some optimistic plays right now. Their stock price jumps have been dampened by the downturn this week but they're not as correlated as most of the tech stocks.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 9, 2020

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I learned my lesson from CCH/UTZ: brokers can take anywhere from 1-4 days to get off their asses and transfer SPAC securities to the new ticker. You may or may not be able to do business over the phone, seems bad if there's a time crunch, and I don't want to be unable to unload a position just after merger if everyone's taking their profits. Plus, the merger date is obviously more volatile.

I have some SHLL/GRAF calls for the end of the month plus a bunch of commons. At the beginning of next month I'll take positions in DPHC (Lordstown EV October merger) and possibly LCA (internet gambling) but I haven't looked at that one closely yet. HCAC/Canoo is supposed to merge near the end of the year but Canoo's prototypes have been lame and the hype has cooled off.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Happy to say I avoided buying 930 TSLA puts due to the strong premarket, and I dumped today's positions at 330 because I saw the selloff coming. It ended up being a small profit day but it feels like a lot more!

Market confidence is completely shot. We're primed for a big selloff imo

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Cacafuego posted:

What happened to drop the market in the last half hour?

A mixture of WSJ writing that Tiktok sale looking increasingly unlikely, and profit taking by nervous investors on a green day. Volume on the selloff was way higher than the rest of the day.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
https://hindenburgresearch.com/nikola/

NKLA puts at open

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
a perfectly engineered rug pull day, with a nice green open to entice tech calls before sweeping the leg at 1030. wsb in shambles.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Bored As gently caress posted:

Chewey Earnings came out after end of trading today, beat expectation by 50%. They're only negative like -.08 per share. I figured they'd be doing better and better since sane people don't want to go to the store as often.

Hopefully my calls go up enough to where I can break even, because I unfortunately bought the calls before the recent downward trend the last 2 weeks.

Never hold through earnings, you get killed 80% of the time regardless of the results

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

Hope you got these, -14% and change so far today.

I did buy some 9/11p but I sold at yesterday's close for a modest profit. I figured it would trade flat today or bounce back a tad and I didn't want to gamble on 0dte

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

poo poo

Buy 1 month NKLA puts even though it's the obvious play?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
NKLA drilled down after hours so I'm guessing the fun's just starting

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
SHLL merger vote is scheduled for 9/28

GRAF merger vote is scheduled for 9/29

High likelihood of 100% profits in common stock and 200-300% in warrants between now and the vote. I won't be holding through the merger and ticker change due to uncertainty and volatility. These companies are going to ramp up over the next few weeks and there's probably not many days left before takeoff. SHLL is already underway. Do your own DD as always, obviously.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
ChargePoint suddenly announced plans to merge with SPAC SBE as early as next week. SBE gapped up the last hour of the day. Could be a really nice play for this week and next, since they're an established market leader. I'm going to think hard about it tonight.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Everything's getting cornholed

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Toalpaz posted:

Do I hold the random no history stock that internet man recommended over dead gay internet forums for 6% up or sell it before the weekend, lmao. (Yes yes, I'm a gambler not a trader, you're all better than me etc.)

E: I'm talking about SHLL

SHLL/GRAF are merging at the end of the month into Hyliion and Velodyne Lidar, I wouldn't turn away before then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Toalpaz posted:

I dunno, I'm probably going to exit before the votes.

Of course once I started bragging/asking for advice there's an downward turn.

I'm exiting after the vote, probably the day before the ticker change. Depends on the trends.

There's so many SPACs on my radar right now, I had to create a spreadsheet this week to merger progression, vote dates, warrant ratios, etc.

If you get in on the ground floor there's not much risk other than the opportunity cost, since commons are backstopped by a refundable $10 + interest. Warrants can bring 3-5x returns but are not backstopped. If you stick with SPACs that are pretty far along the process, you will usually be OK.