Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

LLCoolJD posted:

The company is a relic of the 1970s. I went in a Sears two years ago and it was in absolutely pathetic condition. I went back maybe 6 months ago and it somehow looked even worse. Half the store was lacking inventory. It's in retail hospice care and there's no mistaking it.

The story of how Eddie lampert destroyed Sears by attempting a real world application of randianism is incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

AngryBooch posted:

Jack Welch destroyed GE in a similar fashion using Randian and Machiavellian techniques, we just didn't know it until after he left the shambles to his successors.

I hadn't heard that, is there a write-up of it?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

AngryBooch posted:

Welch famously force ranked every employee in the company and fired the bottom 10% every year. Unsurprisingly, encouraging employees to sabotage and undermine each other while designing and manufacturing complex industrial machinery was not a very good business tactic. GE has discontinued the practice in Welch's retirement but still has to run national ad campaigns begging engineering grads to apply to GE job postings. Welch covered up his massive mismanagement by turning GE into a bank that would go on to collapse during the financial crisis so that he could shift around profits to his terrible acquisitions and keep the stock price high.

He's still lionized by many but GE failing should be placed entirely on his shoulders and this poo poo was called in 2001:
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2001/10/01/gut-punch

I love captain of industry brain geniuses who think cooperation is a negative trait

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Ulio posted:

GE is an interesting case. I recommend anyone to read this article on how GE went from a leader in it's field to selling most of it's branches, got kicked out of Dowjones, got it is bond rating downgraded 2-3 times in 16 years. One of the best articles I have read this year.

http://fortune.com/longform/ge-decline-what-the-hell-happened/

quote:

In 2004, with U.S. home prices rocketing, GE paid $500 million for a subprime mortgage company called WMC.

lol

quote:

2015 acquisition of Alstom, a big French competitor of GE’s largest business, GE Power, which makes and services the huge turbines that utilities use to generate electricity.

lmao

quote:

After GE halved the dividend in November, it announced in December that 12,000 GE Power employees would be axed.

:smith:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

odiv posted:

Sorry, I legitimately don't know what you meant by ruining group threads. I guess it's a good thing I'm not in any then.

if a non imessage user is in a group chat, everyone in that chat is downgraded to standard SMS features. this means that for example any video shared is turned into a postage stamp and message reactions appear as obnoxious messages instead of little badges, there are probably other things i'm forgetting

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

I'm an old fashioned kind of guy but the sole reason I haven't bought a jackless phone/wireless headphones (aside from their expense:reliability ratio, which is really just a wealth problem I dont have) is because my summer car is from the 80s and I already go cassette deck to aux and I spent forever buying poo poo ones before finally finding a reliable one. I dont want to have to go through that again but now from cassette deck to bluetooth

I realize this is an extreme edge case tho lol

+
blutooth adapter for <$10

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

pixaal posted:

that doesn't actually connect back to the speakers you do know that right?

they said they have an aux to tape adapter. just plug it in and it never has to be touched again. i didn't realize there were bluetooth tape adapters, that's cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Fuckin wave of mid-2000s gbs nostalgia reading that post