Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I'm thinking about moving my stocks from a Big Retail Brokerage (Wells Fargo, formerly AG Edwards) into an Internet one to save on fees. My plan is to keep mostly blue chips (which I already own) and sell covered calls/write cash secured puts to make a steady income while the market is flat (hence the desire to save on fees). Is there a reason I shouldn't do this and is Just2Trade a good firm? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Ugh. I have been trying to learn more about all the terminology you guys use here (short, put, etc.) but I'm still not getting it.

This is a good book for explaining the fundamentals of options and futures (optional but handy): The Complete Idiot's Guide to Options and Futures

and you must read this (free pdf):

Characteristics and Risks of Standardized Options

nelson fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 4, 2011

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

greasyhands posted:

This Europe situation is getting a bit silly. If you go by what the press says(probably shouldn't), we rallied because Euro leaders agreed to meet to discuss what to do.

I hate market spikes. Especially when I've got $5000 in a Roth account waiting for MSFT to drop below 25. So, what do you guys think, is this the beginning of the end of stocks at non-bubble prices or just another temporary blip on the radar?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

antishock posted:

They are huge (xbox joke?) so whats going to be the catalyst to shake it from its current valuation? All their new products (i.e., outside of Windows/Office/Enterprise) have had floundering to tepid impact on profits.

One way their share price will rise is if some of their new products actually take off. They do try a lot of things, eventually something may be successful. Another option is they divert their massive cash stream to shareholders by goosing the dividend.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

How long do I have to be in a stock before I can receive a dividend? Does it differ from stock to stock and how would I find out for the specific stock I'm in?

You just have to be in before the ex-dividend date. Most companies that issue dividends (not all companies pay dividends by the way) do it quarterly (i.e. 4 times a year). Sometime near their quarterly earnings announcements they'll tell you how much the dividend will pay and when the ex-dividend date will be. www.dividend.com is a good place to look up stocks for the past year's worth of ex-dividend dates and any known upcoming dates so you'll have some idea on when they'll occur.

Here's a page that explain the basics of how dividends work:
http://www.dividend.com/dividend-stock-library/dividend_stock_information.php

nelson fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 14, 2011

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Any recommendations which mutual fund I should go with? A high dividend mutual fund to invest 1300ish dollars into. Mid-cap or small-cap as long as its high income. Just a little something to cover my 3300 dollar student loan that I took out with an interest around 6.8 percent. Which Fund family should I start working my way down from?

Pay off the loan. There is no fund that will guarantee 6.8%.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

cowofwar posted:

Fundamentals might put the value below $5 but people have binned companies in their heads and may not feel that BAC is a sub $5 company even though the numbers say otherwise.

My "feel" is it's either a great deal or they're close to bankruptcy. I had this same feeling when WorldCom went below $5. Back then I thought it was a good deal and bought. I would have lost money if not for double downing on pink sheets and selling the dead cat bounce.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

nelson posted:

I would have lost money if not for double downing on pink sheets and selling the dead cat bounce.

greasyhands posted:

:commissar:

I know, I know. Apparently in the insanity of the stock market two stupid decisions can cancel each other out. And who knows, if you really believe the government will bail out stock-holders again then BAC might actually be a good buy. But given my past "success", I'll sit this one out. Luck saved me from myself once but I'm not going to push it. I've learned my lesson.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Kneel Before Zog posted:

What does this mean?
Sorry. "Pink sheets" are what they call stocks traded "over the counter" dealer networks because they're not traded on the major exchanges. For this particular instance the company declared bankruptcy so their stock was delisted from the exchanges and the only way to get it was OTC.

investopedia posted:

The pink sheets got their name because they were actually printed on pink paper. You can tell whether a company trades on the pink sheets because the stock symbol will end in ".PK".
"Dead cat bounce" is investor slang. It is a brief recovery in the price of a falling stock. The term is derived from "Even a dead cat will bounce if dropped from high enough." I'm not sure who said that phrase first.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

cgeq posted:

Is there a way to invest in volatility?

Yes. For individual stocks you could use stock options.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

MrBigglesworth posted:

Not to pimp my own company or anything but I have seen others mention Seagate before. We destroyed earnings estimates and are generating a lot of free cash flow. Now at $24.50 up $3.36 for the day.... :toot:

Next time tell us how great your company is *before* its stock goes up 15% in one day.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

MrBigglesworth posted:

What would I have needed to put in, and the costs, etc to have setup an option for that condition as of two weeks ago? Is there usually a minimum amount needed to process this type of transaction?

One thing to realize is that 1 option is equal to 100 shares. So yes, there is a minimum. When you see the option price multiply that by 100 to get your cost (excluding broker fee, which varies by broker).

For your particular example, looking it up on CBOE.com the price of one call (the option you buy when you think the price is going up) of AAPL a couple of weeks ago with a strike price of $480 and an expiration date of 2/17 would have been somewhere around $1. You multiply that by 100 so for one call it would have cost you a bit over a hundred including broker fees (online brokers would charge about $10 or less).

At the time of this post that option is worth about $9.05, so if you sold it you'd get $905 less broker fee. You'd basically end up with about an $800 profit (per option) minus broker fees. So risk $100, get $900. Possibly lose $100 if things didn't work out the way you planned and the option expires worthless. If you keep the option and don't sell it you buy 100 shares of AAPL at $480/share when the option expires (if the price of AAPL is above $480). So, either sell it before it expires or make sure you have $48000+ cash (per option) sitting in your account.

Edit: These prices change constantly. When I started this post, that particular option was priced at around $9. Now that I'm done, the option price is around $11.

nelson fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 9, 2012

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
For anyone who has questions about how stock options work, please download and read the following guide:

Characteristics and Risks of Standardized Options

This is the options user's manual. In it you'll find useful information such as:

Characteristics and Risks of Standardized Options posted:

What is an option? An option is the right either to buy or to sell a specified amount or value of a particular underlying interest at a fixed exercise price by exercising the option before its specified expiration date. An option which gives a right to buy is a call option, and an option which gives a right to sell is a put option. Calls and puts are distinct types of options, and the buying or selling of one type does not involve the other.

It also goes through the terminology used for options trading. It defines what it means to write an option, what a covered call is, intrinsic value vs time value along with many other words and phrases used in the lingo.

Edit: The guide link should probably be added to the OP.

nelson fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 10, 2012

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Can someone explain to me why someone would use a stop order versus a limit order? I think I understand the difference between them, as I understand it a limit order guarantees that you'll lock in a profit (or loss), but a stop order doesn't. So why would anyone use a stop order unless they want to sell everything immediately regardless if the price goes back down or up? What's the strategy with that?
I think you might be confused. Write out an example of what you think will happen under each using actual numbers.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Can anyone recommend a good software package for screening stocks and valuing/ranking the ones I've already got? It should let me enter my own formulas for valuation (e.g. "give me the top 100 stocks in free cash flow yield, then sort those by revenue growth over the past 3 years"). Access to a ratings agency's analysis/reports would also be useful.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Much of the demand for treasuries, perhaps most of it, is from corporations and other entities that need a way to store their cash. Traditionally banks would be that place but right now they don't look so safe and the FDIC insurance limit is in the hundred thousand range, not the hundred million range.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

bam thwok posted:

I'm not sure what makes you say that.
It was an article I read in the Financial Times a few months ago. I stand corrected.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

smackfu posted:

OTOH, it is a possibility that an undervalued stock will be bought out for close to book value, in which case the investors win.
Unless the books are Enron quality, in which case the investors lose.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

antishock posted:

When is this market going to pop? In the mean time, buying more and putting limit orders in for protection. Hoping I don't get screwed on big gaps.
Some days I'm not sure if the market is going up or if the dollar is going down.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

pr0k posted:

My call, though, it's so bad it's almost funny.
code:
Symbol 			Qty 	Last Price 	Chg% 	
AAPL    FEB 13 C    	1       1.10 	 	-94.55%
Yeah. Mine too. I figure at this point it's not even worth selling.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Turkeybone posted:

STOP betting on earnings.
This is probably good advice. I've lost a lot by thinking stocks will go up on earnings days and buying calls. Maybe some do, but never for me. On the other hand, just buying and holding common stock of companies with consistently good earnings when there is no "event" has been moderately successful. Win some, learn some.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

what son what posted:

Well my only serious attempt has been a failed hanging myself while drunk. Sometimes when I'm feeling extra suicidal, I'll take this LONG swim to see if I'll keep swimming away from shore, but I end up turning around to live another wonderful day. Haven't felt the need to do that in quite some time though. Good suggestion to setup something more permanent though! It's also an option during these winter months

:staredog:

http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Baddog posted:

Well, if you are poor as poo poo, then you probably aren't going to have any losses for awhile to offset the gains from your Aetna. The big thing to realize though is that Aetna doesn't have to beat 6.8% (your student loan rate). If you sell the stock you are going to lose close to 15% of it

If he's "poor as poo poo" wouldn't he qualify for the 5% capital gains rate? If so, selling now might be the best choice.
E: Nevermind. Reread the part about first decent paying job.

nelson fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 2, 2013

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
If Buffet himself bought the calls would that be considered insider trading? Or would that just be like using coupons?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
It will be good for brokers. Now retail investors will be able to write covered positions on those securities.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

scavok posted:

My favorite is when analysts at big banks are cutting price targets, or maintaining sell ratings, while at the same time the bank is loading up on the stock.
As was said earlier in the thread...

BUY! (from me)

SELL! (to me)

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I just dumped my (few) AAPL shares and used the revenue to buy GOOG. I know P/E wise Google is twice as expensive but I still think it's a better deal for the long term. Here are my reasons:

Looking down the road, I see Google as the dominant company. Android is in the process of catching up to or even passing iOS. The iWatch doesn't seem like a home run. I don't even wear a watch anymore and neither do most of my friends/coworkers. Those that do seem to treat it more as jewelery than a time informing device. The biggest reason though is Google R&D is doing some amazing things (Google Car, Google Glass) and Apple is well, maybe they're doing something awesome in secret but I've not seen any evidence.

The main area of risk I see is whether or not Google can channel their R&D into products and revenue. I know MSFT R&D has a lot of talent but they seem to squander it. There's always the chance that Google will do the heavy lifting on research and some other company will be the one to capitalize on it.

Thoughts, opinions?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

R.A. Dickey posted:

Maybe im just really behind the curve on these things but you guys are loving nuts if you think Glass is going to catch on anytime even remotely soon. I'm much more bullish on AAPL than GOOG, but then again i've also never viewed them as mutually exclusive.
It's not "you guys", it's just me. Every other post including yours basically ranged from neutral to nelson is a crazy man. The only thing that made it an "either, or" decision for me is the relatively small amount of money I'm willing to allocate to individual tech stocks. All that being said, I really do appreciate the honest feedback. Thank you fellow goons.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Pudgygiant posted:

Are there any legality issues with a homegrown robot trader? I did a thing to learn Python and MySQL that I'm going to demo this week to see how it works and if it prints money like I'm pretty sure it won't then I don't want to go to jail. Also how fast will a homegrown robot trader lose all my money?
If you screw up, and this is quite possible considering some of the source code I've seen (not trading related, but a bug is a bug), you can lose all your money in seconds.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

TUBALLINATOR posted:

Well if you're an institution that tends to hold on to a stock for years, then you might as well lend it out since shorter term gains/losses don't really concern you that much.
Is there a way to "lend" stock as an individual so you can get paid for giving up the right to sell a stock for a certain time period?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Jesus Christ, how can that not get investigated?
Well, it's only $500k. It would probably cost more than that to do a full up investigation and prosecution.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Anyone following the Google split news? What is the algorithm for making class C shares "whole" with class A shares? Are they going to use real money to do it?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Grifter posted:

Seems legit.

Pretty much the worst case scenario for a stock short.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Elephanthead posted:

Aren't they going to use Google money to pay the damages if any, so it in effect is making you whole with your own equity.
I'm just wondering about the mechanics of this. Is it on a specific date that this determination is made, etc...

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Google basically had a 2 for 1 split (except now there is another class of share). That image doesn't seem to take that into account

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
If I thought Vietnam looked good and wanted to invest in it over the medium to long term, what would be the best way to do that?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

usernamen_01 posted:

To the guys here who actively trade options and stocks, how do you cope with the fear that your trades may end up losing a lot of money?
Don't risk more than you're willing to lose.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Leperflesh posted:

Did I get this metaphor wrong?
No, you're correct.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
You pretty much have to use market orders for odd lots (<100 shares) right? I was buying <100 shares of stock for my IRA using a limit order (at last trade price) and it just sat there. I canceled and resubmitted as a market order and it went through no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Lol welp now we're back at 18 P/e haha took too long writing that post

I’m pretty sure the E part of that ratio will be headed downwards for most companies for a while. Although it might be a good time to buy grocery chains as everyone stocks up on toilet paper for nuclear winter.