Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Guinness posted:

Whoa, down 90% in after hours? WTF happened?

I always thought those kinds of "gently caress-ups" were darkpool trades from earlier in the day. Pretty sure darkpool volume doesn't need to be represented at time of sale.(anyone?)

Also regarding Discount vs Direct brokers: I used a direct broker for a short time. There's some cool stuff like ECN rebates, some esoteric ordertypes, loaned-stock interest, and obviously improved order latency.

However, with that, you'll usually get some lovely software that was made in 1994, and increased software and data fees. You might pay $0.30/100shares but you might also have $100 in software and data fees, so you have to decide if the lower commission is worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Tuff Ghost posted:

Any thoughts on V for the short term (6mo-1yr)? I realize that regulation fears are driving down the price, but it still seems undervalued...

Thinking about going long too. Looks pretty good at these levels especially in that timeframe.

shrike82 posted:

Also, what's a good paper trading site that people use?

I've used thinkorswim.com's paper trading and I enjoyed it.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 25, 2011

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Does anyone have experience closing brokerage accounts and reopening them for lower introductory commissions? Specifically TD Ameritrade has a thing now for 1.75 option trades.

There's a lot of spreads where $3 dollar commission is just not very profitable.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Aug 19, 2015

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Trading the news is what the public does, and the public 90% loses money. News should tell you where volume and liquidity is, that's it.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Honestly days like today make me question if I should even be trading.

My tools tell me that CSIQ beat estimates by a handy margin, estimated earnings being $0.127 and actual being $0.31. That seems like good news.

The usual consequence of good news for some stock is more people want it and the demand goes up, which drives up the price. As opposed to dropping 15-20% in 16 hours.

Yeah, markets are irrational and can remain so longer than I can remain solvent. What happens doesn't need to make sense. But it's also possible that I'm just loving inept and really shouldn't be gambling money away. I'm not upset as I've taken losses of way bigger magnitude in the past.

So basically gambling thread, I am asking for a reality check. Am I sufficiently incompetent that I should be asking these questions or is this just another day where the markets behave in ways that are difficult to explain? I've got other emotionally taxing poo poo going on in my life right now so maybe I'm just not able to roll with this punch properly today.

Also I'm thinking the present price on CSIQ given the dip looks like a fine opportunity to buy, so please help me not be an indecisive little twit about that thesis if you're so inclined.
You can also find a risk/probability/profit/margin matrix that works for you. If you are looking at gambles , let's say 50/50% you might put in a strategy that uses a stoploss for 50% of your gain potential. Seems ok at first, but almost always your entry will shake you out. Or you take profits too early because your play might be too big. Psychologically you will almost never win this. This is usually the first "strategy" people will teach you, but remember that 90% of people lose money.

There's a reason options are hot lately, it's because they let you build real strategies. Strategies don't always work, but you at least know what to tweak if you have one.
Let's say your vehicle has huge implied volatility, look at selling Verticals (or other credit spreads). They give you a delta bias of your choosing, and short vega. If low volatility you can do debit spreads, or look to go long theta. Stuff like that, for brief periods of time, lets you become the house instead of the gambler. That's just a dumb example, but there's million billion different strategies.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 19, 2015

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

I'm not a tax advisor but y'all should look into electing mark-to-market before the deadline if you trade a lot.

Wash sale rules on nontrader tax is the dumbest poo poo and can make you pay taxes on capital gains even if you lost money.

As always, talk to a real advisor to see if you're eligible, might have to ask a few people because I think tradertax guys are pretty uncommon.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 24, 2015

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Goodpancakes posted:

Is it time for me to move out of Cheeto and Dota2 hat futures?

Roll into morphling futures to stay liquid imo

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

All this doubt on gopro but no one is bearish on apple? Their whole game is innovation and they have innovated anything in like 7 years

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

The churn is real; gonna be hard to be right on anything right now.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

That's why I like selling verticals, you can be wrong and only lose 50bux, you can be right and get 50bux and you don't lose all your profits through transaction fees. (And you still win if the market does nothing)

Even when you are bearish, like I have been, you can still get knocked out of a trade like this month when the market just churns. So I set up my verticals with very defined risks and just let them ride till profit. You can also hedge around with selling opposite verticals, like a put spread to your call spread; basically legging in and out of an iron condor.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 28, 2015

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

The order was probably filled immediately when the price was at your limit, and the confirmation delayed until it was cleared. I cannot imagine it took 3 days to fill if it was trading at your price.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Unless you get a really low fee broker(robinhood?) You'll wring your account through commissions trading small lots in individual stocks imo. Even with robinhood you have to make up the difference of the widened bid ask spread.

You can trade covered calls in an IRA I think and they are pretty low risk.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Why would you read the news, unless it's a fed meeting?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Liabitcoins

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

I wouldn't call anything in this thread investing or decision making. Not that any of that really matters to trading anyways, imo. Just throw a couple bucks at stuff.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 7, 2015

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Traditional broker prices suck for anyone with small accounts. Robinhood seems to be better if trying to trade odd lots.

I'm a huge fan of options because I can make a play in Google or something without needing a million dollars.

Most of the more "direct access" brokers have higher minimums and software/data fees but can become cheaper if you trade a lot.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 28, 2015

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Could be a couple year play, but USO is looking pretty good here.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

greasyhands posted:

Who knows someone who uses square?

A lot of super small businesses and mall kiosks things use them.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 19, 2015

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Pawn 17 posted:

Does a short transaction move the price? Like if a stock is at $10 and someone shorts it at $9.9, does that make the stock's new price $9.9? If so then I can understand with shorts bidding lower and lower to borrow shares.

You are taking away liquidity so yeah somewhat. Mostly think about liquidity around a theoretical value. If someone wants to sell right now, they hit the bids and knock out liquidity to a wider level.
If there might be asking prices at 10.02 , 10.01 and bids at 9.99 , 9.98 then theoretical value is 10. But if someone shoots a market order to sell and takes out all the liquidity at 9.99, the bids are at 9.98 and the theoretical value is 9.995

Pawn 17 posted:

Also, I don't understand at all how etrade allowed him to make the trade in the first place. Seems like bad risk management on their part (as well as his obviously). If traders who get their accounts blown up declare bankruptcy, then the broker eats the cost, so why would a broker allow a crazy trade that could lose so much more than the account value?

With 25,000 in cash most brokers give you 4x buying power, so $100,000 worth of stock margin. They don't give this to you to be an idiot though, the dude probably had it all leveraged into one position. And if suddenly the market opens and the stock is magically 4000% higher or whatever, they're hosed, you can't really predict something like that.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 20, 2015

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

The money has to go somewhere, where else should it go?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Don't let that shorting kbio story put you off from margin. It can actually be safer a lot of times to trade on margin as long as you don't use it as leverage and let's you trade with "unsettled funds."

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

theoretically puts will inflate with volatility as well, and volatility expands when markets move (like in a crash), plus lower fees, and also gamma momentum. And yes, you have the potential for higher upside.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 10, 2016

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

I covered some spy bear spreads but I'm just sitting on nothing. I had some strangle things going in FCX a few months ago, maybe that'll pick up again.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Jewce posted:

That's fair and a good point. I think I have a good grasp of asset allocation from working with my advisor on my current investments. Doing things like maxing out my Roth IRA, investing mostly in US equities comprising mainly ETF's with a couple index funds as well as individual stocks like Google, Netflix, Amazon, and some others that I expect to hold for a long time. I've got some money in INTL equities, all funds, and then some money in emerging markets, and the least in a money market.

I want to speculate more because I can afford to play with 5k and see what happens, but I don't just want to give the money away, hence learning a bit more about how to do it.

With options, verticals specifically, you can have defined risks, and you can fine-tune what you're willing to risk with any given trade. Like if you only want to risk 100$, and you can still have an actual foot in the market and make a lot of trades with 5k. I think longevity is good if you want to speculate without blowing up with a month.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Got some high quality copper to sell, make offer

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Yeah I love FCX, it's wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

I do a lot of pears and commode trading. I take a copper peice then trade it for a tinny, then trade that for some pears