Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

tentish klown posted:

Oh the markets. The markets are red. So red.

Ugh... I know. I really wish I had more un-invested money kicking around so I could take advantage. I know that the markets will re-bound, but it hurts to see stocks going at discount prices while you can't touch them. :suicide:

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Leperflesh posted:

Tesla is now selling a car that does 0-60 in 3.2 seconds, for $120k. That's supercar territory in terms of acceleration performance. It's ridiculous and it's going to sell like hotcakes.

Tesla may or may not actually make money doing it, and I have no opinion about whether their stock price is justified. But their cars are more than just a fad.

edit: my mistake, the P85D costs $120. Still cheaper than similar spec ferarris and lambos, and it's a full-size sedan instead of a two-seater mid-engine sports car.
I'm really torn about Tesla as a company. One one hand, they're so far beyond the other carmakers in their vehicle technology, and have shown themselves able to adapt to changing market conditions very well. And holy hell, is that Model S amazing. But everything they've been doing lately seems to be catering to the wealthier crowd. I'm not sure how much longer their stock price can justify being as high as it is. Yes, I know that the Model 3 is slated for release in 2017. But what happens between now and 2017 in terms of their stock price? More luxury add-ons to vehicles that are way beyond the affordability of most car buyers?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 16, 2019

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 16, 2019

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 16, 2019

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 16, 2019

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

DNova posted:

gpro is so schizophrenic, would you really have played its earnings?

salutations & best wishes,

dnova
GoPro is the weirdest thing. Wild fluctuations, unexplainable highs... I just don't understand the hype over a company that sells pocket-sized stunt cameras. :psyduck:

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Baddog posted:

Tesla prolly will be ok since I think relative cost of ownership is way down on the list of reasons people buy their cars.
I think that TSLA will do well in the long-term. However, since there's a long gap of nothing between now and their estimated Model X release (then the Model 3 in 2017) anyone thinking of investing TSLA should expect a lot of volatility over the next few years. TSLA stocks aren't for the faint of heart.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 16, 2019

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Keisari posted:

I'm personally holding American Electric Power. Liked it so far through 3 dividends. I think its a decent company, not amazing but decent. And boring. Just the way I like my stocks.
Boring is good! I'll research AEP further, then. Thanks.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 16, 2019

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 16, 2019

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Not to take away from the AI trader bot overlord discussion, but did anyone hop onto Friday's mongoDB IPO? I was all up in that grill until they announced their $24 share price.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 22, 2017

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 16, 2019

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

LLCoolJD posted:

Even the Wii stock rally ended before Christmas. It remains to be seen whether current price of ~$47 (up from ~$26 at Switch launch) is the peak. Down 3% today despite the announcement last night of a monetized Animal Crossing mobile app. The review embargo on the new Mario game lifts tomorrow. Earnings are on Monday. :shrug:
Heh. Look at all of you guys. Expecting rational market reactions to company earnings announcements. :smug:

(Recently recovered from TSLA-induced PTSD after riding that Mr. Bones' Wild Ride for 2 years).

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 16, 2019

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Josh Lyman posted:

Sounds like they're ready for analyst jobs on Wall Street :v:
Heh, we joked about that once the contest was over. "Well look at these guys! They're ready for the boardroom already!" Also:

Elephanthead posted:

Buying disruptive deep learning-based suicide machine blockchain manufacturers.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Well, looks like Canada now has its own AI-controlled ETF. And its ticker is "MIND". :downs:

Also, will AMD please stop loving sliding. kthx.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
On the TSLA talk- I sold my shares once it became apparent that the stock price was completely detached from fundamentals and performance. I still see people in forums gushing over TSLA and shouting down naysayers and it gives me strong GTAT vibes. Especially when the company's own CEO says that their share price is, "higher than we have the right to deserve. (but fair play to Elon for having the balls to come out and say that). That's not to say that Tesla won't do well because I hope, and think, that they will succeed in the long term. But holy poo poo is it scary to put your money in a company whose hyped-up market cap has exceeded Ford's in only a matter of years.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

All my life it's been very comfortable being the smartest guy of the room, but it's loving exhilarating to not be the smartest guy in the room.

I've been in a few places where I felt like the smartest guy in the room. It was not a good feeling because I am definitely not the smartest guy in the room.

You learn so much more by surrounding yourself with people who know more than you. It is a humbling and sometimes embarrassing experience, but you'll be better off for it.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 2, 2017

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

It just seems to me like if electric cars take off any existing car company can probably switch production to electric for a fraction of what it’ll cost Tesla to build out. And I don’t see why there’d be much of a first-mover advantage for the cars (for the charging stations, yes). Feeling about self-driving cars is about the same. Good deal if you’re building the infrastructure or creating the standards, otherwise come to market 2 years late and license the tech from google or apple or whoever. That’s probably what all but one of the companies spending on R&D are going to end up doing. Anyway so that means Tesla’s value is pretty much all in the brand.

Their huge capex doesn’t seem that huge when you think how much you’d need to spend to make Ford or GM from scratch. Trillions, probably. That’s the car makers’ moat.
Yeah, that's the way I feel about it. If Mercedes or BMW, for example, decided to hop into the EV game they'd be able to do so since already have the production capacity and distribution network. And even though Tesla's value is, as you said, mostly in the brand you can say the same for BMW. A lot of people buy BMW because, well, it's a BMW.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 16, 2019

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I've got Square Inc. stock that's crushing it but it feels like it's becoming the new hype stock that a bunch of dummies are latching onto. Love the company and their product, but hate the way the stock is behaving. Hypefest 2018 type poo poo.

Don't break the bloody ship, asswads. Go to TSLA or something.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

paternity suitor posted:

It’s the time of year to buy puts and lock in profits
Probably right, but I know nothing about how they work. Time to research this whole thing.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 16, 2017

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

paternity suitor posted:

Nothing crazy. Puts allow you to sell for the put value. You pay for the right to lock in some price. If the price goes up they expire worthless. I want to sell some poo poo today, but I don't want to pay taxes on them this year, I want to defer those taxes until next year. So I buy some puts (and I also sell calls). Dec 31 I sell my puts for a loss (hopefully) book that this year, then Jan 1 I sell my shares and pay taxes in 2018.
I think I understand. So if I think SQ will slide (and I do), I'd Buy Puts with a strike price of $40. So if the SQ goes down to $20, I can exercise my strike price and sell at $40. But if SQ goes up, I can just eat the tiny cost of buying the Put and not sell my shares. Am I understanding that right?

Also, my trading platform is asking if I want to and "Buy to Open", "Buy to Close", "Sell to Close", or Sell to Open" or "Sell to Open Covered". I tried researching what this meant online and got then got a headache. Tried reading it a second time, but then got a migraine. :suicide:

But, here's my crack at it: since I'd be buying a Put, I would 'Buy to Open', correct?

Sorry to turn this into a Babby's First Options Trade conversation. I really just want to understand this part of gambling trading.

Kal Torak posted:

I'm in the same boat. My cost is around $16 per share and now I feel like it's super over-valued. It's hard to sell your best performing stock.
Yeah I feel ya. And holy poo poo $16/share? Good for you.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Nov 16, 2017

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

paternity suitor posted:

Bingo Bango on the first part. Buying puts means you think the price will go down. Your downside is only limited to the price of the puts. Worst case they expire worthless. If you buy a $40 strike put and the price drops to $20, then the puts will be worth at least $20, because you have the right to sell at $40 and you can just purchase the stock for the market value of $20.

Buy to Open means that you're opening a new position. If you currently don't own any options, you're opening a position. When you sell, you're closing. So if you buy to open something, later you will sell to close it.

I think I understand, and thanks for typing all of that out. So, let's say I Buy Puts with a $40 strike. Then SQ goes down to $20. Obviously I'd want to cash in on my right to sell for $40. At that point, I'd "Sell To Close". Is that right? My only confusion at this point is how to exercise/use my options if SQ slides. My worst nightmare is Buying Puts and holding my hands out all like, "how do I shot web" once I'm ready to use it.

Kal Torak posted:

You could also consider selling calls at a higher strike price. This allows you to collect some premium if it goes down or stays the same, while still participating in *some* of the upside if there is still some left.

This is what I am considering. I would rather sell premium than buy it.
That sounds worth considering. But holy hell do I feel like a toddler after dipping my toes in options for the first time.

Josh Lyman posted:

Things like this make me wonder if I've squandered my entire investing life by not simply buying midsize tech companies when they IPO'ed.
I wouldn't think that. Most IPOs fail. At least for a while. When I bought SQ pretty much every Analyst was bearish and making GBS threads on them, but I bought in pretty much because I saw old farmers at our markets really liking the Square platform, and figured that Dorsey had a nice little niche in the market. The share price even tanked for a while, and when SBUX dropped their Square platform I was getting really uneasy. SQ was a huge risk (and still is).

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Risky Bisquick posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joJ8mbwuYW8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiybniIIvx0&t=5s

Just go on youtube and search options trading and watch an hour or two of videos

e: namaste nasdaq deities for today
Will view those. Thanks 'brah.

Also to those who were asking - I have enough SQ that discussing options might be worth my while.

Droo posted:

Especially late in the year like now, someone in that guy's situation might want to buy puts because he is worried about the stock being overvalued but doesn't want to realize a large capital gain until next year. So January puts could be a perfect tool to use.
And this is the sort of thing I want to learn more about. I've learned all about options theory and such, but am really green when it comes to actually trading them. I'm a :canada: guy who'd be trading them inside of an RSP (our 401k equivalent). So tax events aren't an issue.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 17, 2017

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kal Torak posted:

Sold my full SQ position today at 47.45. Sad to see it go but that was an epic run.
I've set my own target at $50/share and thinking of reducing my position at that point. But then again I said the exact same thing about the $40/share mark. I really need to make a disciplined decision instead of giving into a perpetual fear of FOMO/blatant greed.

LLCoolJD posted:

Reminds me of when I sold JKS to cover costs of buying/moving into my house. I made very good gains on it but the thing went to the moon in the months following my sale. C'est la vie.
Yeah, c'est la vie indeed. I wouldn't feel bad about it because it's extra money that you wouldn't have had in the first place.
The most dangerous thing is getting caught up in your own personal greed.

"Just one more dollar! An extra half percentage! Aaaaaand I've lost all of gains. FML."

melon cat fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 22, 2017

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

paternity suitor posted:

Be careful with that though. That kind of mindset can easily lead you to sell your winners for small gains and ride your losers straight down into hell.
Isn't gambling stock trading awesome? :suicide:

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Aaaand there's the SQ correction. Down $7 from its high. On one hand, it sucks to see one of your better shares lose value, but on the other hand it's nice to see some sanity and correction in a stock that you're holding for the long term.

loving tech stocks, man.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 16, 2019

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 16, 2019

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Risky Bisquick posted:

Sears blockchain, blue apron blockchain, Toysrus blockchain. Should we buy the far otm leaps now? :rolleyes: All these lovely companies getting in on the magic of retail investors not understanding crypto
Blockchain really is the latest bullshit buzzword of the year. I've seen people waltz into boardroom meetings with "BTC/Blockchain" PowerPoints as the be-all-fix-all to department-wide issues. Meanwhile they were never able to explain how the technology works or how it would actually solve problems. Worse yet, business school professors have recently got wind of blockchain technology and have been teaching it to students who're now walking into work placements and bringing it up in every lunch and learn that they attend. I'd say that only about 1/10 people who talk about it really know how it works. A company that I recently worked with had a business school competition for fixing some IT infrastructure issue they were having. All entrants, except for one, all discussed "block chain technology". At one point the judges startes rolling their eyes and throwing their heads back in frustration when "Blockchain" appeared in the PowerPoint cover slide.

The same thing happened with Cloud Computing a few years ago. And before that Beanie Babies. Crypto is so deep into bubble territory that it's not even funny, any more.

Aramis posted:

In theory, the company growth should lead to increased net revenue, which should lead to bigger dividend payouts. But if A&W is aggressively expanding, then that means it's reinvesting a lot of that revenue. Ironically, you'd expect the value of the fund to really kick off if/when the company decides to stop expanding and focus on just generating cash.
A&W has definitely stepped up their game. But unfortunately for them so has McDonalds. And McDonalds is always buying up the best real estate/leasing space for locations and crowding out A&W. So in many cases A&W has no choice but to attach themselves to Home Depots and gas stations. A lot of A&Ws in my area have had to buy billboards directing motorists to their weird, off-the-beaten-path locations. Difficult for them, since people are really lazy when it comes to getting fast food.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 11, 2018

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Are there any ETFs worth looking at for investing in renewables energy companies? I'd love to get in on that, but really don't know enough about the companies involved in geothermal/other alternative fuels to invest in them individually. Maybe a fund like CUT.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 11, 2018

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cheesemaster200 posted:

If crypto crashes it has absolutely zero effect on anything else. Recessions are caused by cascading effects. For example, interest rates rise, businesses can't raise capital, and then lay off workers, etc. If Bitcoin crashes, some smug 22 year old in his parent's basement may lose his life savings that he previously didn't have anyway, but it is going to have little economic effect.
In terms of actual balance sheets and things that matter- yes, you're correct that crypto crashes have absolutely zero effect. Institutional investors have barely dabbled in it so their exposure to it is negligible. But investor panic is contagious and would have a short-term impact on the major indices. Average joe/retail investors swing back-and-forth between "The markets are awesome and great!" to "ECONOMIC DOOMSDAY" at the flick of a wrist. I still remember people saying that we're in "recession" when the major indices were returning + ~20% quarterly.

Markets/people are dumb and irrational. Which is why I've gotten into the habit of doing the opposite of what everyone else seems to be doing. With that said, I'm with Buffet when he says that he won't invest in the cryptocurrencies.

I'll get off of my soapbox, now.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 11, 2018

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Risky Bisquick posted:

AMD had a foot in the wading pool of enterprise revenue and Intel followed up by making GBS threads their pants very publicly. That said the stock has a beta near 2.5 so trade at your own risk.
I just sold my AMD at an ever-so-slight loss since I just didn't like the way the share price and leadership was behaving in the wake of the whole Meltdown fiasco ("We're not affected Intel is LOL... okay maybe we are affected we dunno"). But yeah- it is indeed trade at your risk with those guys.

paternity suitor posted:

Glad about my Weed position.

This year is off to a fast loving start, hold onto your butts
I'm really wondering how Canada's legalization in July will impact weed stock. Sustained growth, or straight to bubble territory, who loving knows.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

The Butcher posted:

Weed goes up, weed goes down. You can't explain that. :shrug:

I've been pretty lucky buying and selling peaks and valleys for awhile as it's been behaving pretty similarly every time, but gently caress me would I have been much luckier if I'd just gone in hard on CGC around the $4 mark when I started watching this and just sat on it.

All the analysts and talkers were like ohhh probably a 6$ cap. Wait no maybe $10. Okay we guess $15 is possible. Uhhh gently caress we have no idea.

Hindsight etc. It's humbling though.
I've been through enough peaks and crashes to know that analysts and talkers are about as accurate as tarot card readers. And their stock ratings change as quickly as the weather does.

Day 1: "TSLA price target is $200 so we're gonna say Hold"
(stock rallies overnight)
"TSLA price target is $350 so we're upgrading them to Buy!"

They're like that dummy we all know who says, "I told ya so" even though they really didn't.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 26, 2018

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

joats posted:

Looks like everything is crashing. Is this a crash? I've never seen a crash before.
Nope. Not even remotely. This is just garden-variety volatility. Maybe approaching correction, but I wouldn't even say that much, yet. If a share/ETF goes up 6% in a day, it can drop 6% the next day.

Remember 2007 when entire portfolios lost ~35-40% of their value? That is a crash.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

fougera posted:

Crap did I just convince myself to buy apple?
Heh, sounds like you did. Here's the funny thing about Apple stock- every few years they go up and up, then their share price corrects. Then every time it corrects, a bunch of uninformed dummies at the office water cooler get all smug and say, "See? Apple's going down. The magic has run out!" And every time they're wrong, and Apple sells a poo poo-ton of devices. I'm not saying Apple stock is a "Buy", but their outlook as a company is still pretty loving solid and their brand is extremely valuable.

quote:

As much as I was doom and gloom a few posts ago, I don't think a recession is around the corner unless there is some unforeseen credit event coming up.

Who knows. But there definitely will be. It's just cyclical. I still remember the years following the '07-'08 financial crisis and everyone was acting like the sky is falling and talking about how "We're just gonna have to get used to 'the new normal' of slow growth and that "the days of 15% growth are over!". Then we had a decade straight of growth. So LOL at that prospect. Every few years we go through growth, then people think the economy is "doomed", then we go back to growth. Then people think the economy is doomed. Then we repeat. So as long as you aren't investing in weird hype investments I wouldn't get caught up the "what if" recession scenarios. The market's heavy hitters are just set up to make a stupid amount of money, and even if there IS a correction they'll rebound.

I'll get off of my soapbox, now.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 3, 2018