Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

movax posted:

It's not a surprise, but if there's anything I've learned so far, they can do everything 'right' and still get punched because they couldn't meet analyst expectations of what they just promised (or at least, what I think the bump was based on which I think was "oh yeah you know Apple's new stuff is really sexy? we can do that too!").
It's never enough for Wall Street Analysts.

"Well yes they did beat expectations but not by as much as we expected them to. Downgrade to Sell."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Vox Nihili posted:

Congrats to Cathie for achieving a return of -24.1% on her ARKK ETF in a year that the S&P500 gained 26.9% and QQQ gained 28.6%. Absolute legend.

I still remember that Twitter chain that ripped apart her team's questionable qualifications and weird ETF "rebalancing". Cathie Wood was a fluke success story and even now all of ARK's portfolios are still poorly diversified and reliant on "$TSLA and $ROKU guud :woop:"

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Grouchio posted:

I feel like I'm completely in the dark about this impeding mortgage bubble due to pop. A week ago I noticed Wells Fargo was undertaking huge job cuts and then thursday morning my boss and I find ourselves laid off by our own employer Guild Mortgage. And now folks are already saying the recession's begun/the bubble's popping?

(and if there's a better thread for this lemme know)

And the reality is that many cities' real estate markets have been running red hot for 2-3 years, and before that they were still pretty hot for about 10 years. That's nearly 15 years of consistent growth. At most we'll be seeing a correction in the housing market, not a full-out 2007-style crash. Also interest rates are still very low and the 'GOVERNMENT BAILOUT' button is primed and ready.

People in my area are seeing houses now taking "2 weeks" to sell and "only" getting 3 bids as proof that a housing crash is here. That's... still pretty insane. There was once a time where a house could take months to sell and only get 1-2 offers. The market is cooling off- that's it.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 3, 2022

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Anyone who says the blockchain is actually useful is either trying to sell you something illegal or just take your money.
I knew "blockchain" was dead when FB mommies started talking about it and selling their own "How to trade bitcoin" courses

melon cat fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 18, 2022

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Lol these tweets sound so much like Trump

BIGGEST BEST EVER!!!!

I am not looking forward to whatever alliance from hell Musk and Trump are about to form if Trump gets re-elected POTUS

would such a thing would be bullish or bearish

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Sounds like we need a new 'guess sheet'. I'm too lazy, but I'm going to say that Facebook goes to $75 by Jan 31 2023

Thing is FB had a pretty good deal going for a while. Cash-rich, good balance sheet, tech that the old boomer politicians didn't know enough about to properly ask questions when Zuck was sat in front of the Senate Committee, near-monopoly on social media platforms

But then Zuck had to drop billions to make... Meta Miis. There is an Austin Powers Mini-Me joke in there somewhere maybe I can tell my virtual friends in the metaverse about it :woop:

gay picnic defence posted:

Would it be possible for Meta shareholders to vote Zuckerberg off the board or something? Or does he have a majority of voting rights?
Effective corporate governance? In a FANG stock?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

I guarantee you most of these people suck at trading and are mostly blowing their excess income. There's probably about 10% of the userbase that actually makes money and everyone else aspires to chase them but struggles. This is true for essentially every single "trading group" out there and I really do not see why the 2020s Something Awful userbase would be an exception.
And a lot of these "trading groups" are filled with bots hawking worthless stocks. Anyone who knows what they're doing sure as poo poo isn't in a "Stock Traders of 2022" Facebook group telling middle aged stay at home moms how to get rich from investing.