Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I've got 4k fun money, anyone got some recommendations on some set and forget non meme options?

I was thinking of putting some in apple, some in ford, and some in Nintendo. But am totally open to other things cause I'm not very good at analyzing this stuff. Was going to just set it and check back in on it every year or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I know this thread is more about trading, but I figured it might be the best place to ask.

I used to work for sprint back in 05-08 and they gave me stock. I was young and stupid and didn't really pay much attention to it at the time. And then I moved to another state and forgot to forward my info to the brokerage. NOW sprint stock has been converted to T-Mobile.

Is there a way for me to recover my stock/conversion? I don't remember the name of the brokerage.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Thanks!

I managed to find a Sprint Employee stock options document online that had the brokerage name!

https://www.sprint.com/content/dam/sprint/us/en/hr/benefits/ESPP_Plan_Information_Statement_11-2016.pdf
Fidelity Brokerage Services LLC.

Hopefully they can help me recover the account.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

SkunkDuster posted:

Not sure how much of a hoarder you are, but a similar thing happened to me. I got stock options from when I worked at Western Digital around 2000-2001 through E*Trade. As soon as they matured, I sold them and bought Macromedia stock and spaced it off for many years. When I was cleaning out my basement a couple years ago, I found a folder of paperwork from when I worked at WD and there was my E*Trade info with the login/password and it still worked and I was able to access my account.

These days nothing goes in the trash if it's financial based... But back then IDGAF. Each time I moved it was only material possessions that went with me. I didn't really start caring about paperwork and finances until about 2012. And something today tickled my brain about my old sprint stock.

Thanks for the help. I will pursue all these options as needed! And incase any of you are vested in the outcome, I will post if I get it back!

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 2, 2021

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Good news bad news

Good news! I got my account recovered and I now have access to a Fidelity account and hopefully can transfer all my Robinhood stuff to it.

Bad news! Past me was so irresponsible that I wish I could travel back in time and punch past me in the face. Turns out I did get access to the account sometime after I left sprint, and I cashed out all my stocks for what amounted to probably 3 cartons of smokes (I was a heavy smoker back then) and 2 xbox 360 slim's. I know this, cause now that I see the withdrawal I actually remember doing it. I didn't NEED the xbox's.. or the smokes.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 2, 2021

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

jokes posted:

I am bored, slightly down, and I do not like market anymore

Money is meant to be spent, and hindsight is 20/20. What will you do now?

Be more responsible! like I have been for the past 6 years lol. Ever since I stopped making dumb choices like the above, my life and income level have increased significantly on a yearly basis. I'm flattened out now on earnings so now I'm looking into some proper investing. And no I'm not yolo'ing NDRA (though I did put 1k into it after reading up on it, and I like what they do!)

I'm mostly following this thread to gamble vicariously through you all. And to learn. I'm mostly interested in long term. I been putting my "spare change" into things like Apple and Nintendo cause again, I like those companies. And this time I won't cash them out for smokes and game consoles. Just hope they are still doing good in 20 years and they can supplement my robust 401k.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Red posted:

Yay! That was fast!

Bad news! Past me was so irresponsible that I wish I could travel back in time and punch past me in the face. Turns out I did get access to the account sometime after I left sprint, and I cashed out all my stocks for what amounted to probably 3 cartons of smokes (I was a heavy smoker back then) and 2 xbox 360 slam's. I know this, cause now that I see the withdrawal I actually remember doing it. I didn't NEED the xbox's.. or the smokes.
[/quote]

D'oh!

How many shares were you given by Sprint?
[/quote]

I was sitting on 300 shares. I remember there was some money left over that went to incidentals, the smokes and 360's were just the big things.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Stock Trading Thread: "I bought a dip. And then it kept dipping"

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Red posted:

I have to laugh at the possibility of a publicly traded company doing a short investor Zoom call for SomethingAwful forums posters, but that would be really neat.

"Yes, we have a question from the giant orange muppet?"

My 1k shares are down for muppet investor zoom call.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I set a stop loss on robin hood and it didn't trigger when the stock dipped under the target. Does the stock have to hit the EXACT value you set in the stop loss?

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

pixaal posted:

Did it happen during normal market hours or extended? If it didn't happen during normal market hours that's why.

This was middle of day. I must have done something wrong.

Tax question.. if I yoink my money with good gains and let it sit in the robinhood savings account for a couple months before reinvesting, am I increasing my potential tax burden? Like if I dump it into another stock 3 months later and make another 10% do I get double taxed? once for the first profit, then again for the second? Or is it ok to have money idle waiting for pop into something?

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

DoubleT2172 posted:

You pay tax on all profits

Oh I thought there was a "reinvestment" type protection. Glad I asked.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

pixaal posted:

Don't forget to claim your losses to offset your good plays.

I'm assuming this would be covered in the provided tax forms at the end of the year. Or do I need to track that myself? I have both Robinhood and Fidelity.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

John F Bennett posted:

The pro move is choosing a broker that does your taxes for you.

I may need to look into this more. I thought the 1099's I get were enough.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Flowers for QAnon posted:

My first questions - Did you have a stop or a stop limit? Do you know the difference between the two?

Stop limit. And vaguely lol

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

If it was a stop it would have gone out as a market sell. The fact it was a stop limit means it rocketed past your limit, that’s why it wasn’t sold.

Stop means - sell to market when prices crosses
Stop limit means - get at least your limit price when stock crosses threshold. If the stock drops fast and/or lack of liquidity will result in the orders not being executed

Gotcha. Thanks!

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Ok let me make sure I got this right. If I want to protect my NDRA gains, I can set a stop order at say 2.60. And if falls to or below it will sell as close to 2.60 as it can?

RH also gives me a trailing stop order too.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 15, 2021

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Correct.

A trailing stop means the stop peg will climb proportionately to the price and will peg at x amount under the highest traded price between placement and execution.

Oh ok. Soo with that can I just set it to .10 under current high so I can ride the up some more? It will just be always .10 under whatever high is reached post order submission?

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

pixaal posted:

0.10 is a bit small and while most people can't see your stop loss I've been told people that shell out the 2k/month for Bloomberg terminal can see them just fine and will intentionally trigger them to get your discounted shares for a quick buck. Basically a 10 cent trail will probably trigger in under an hour, but as far as understanding you got it.

going to vary by broker you can do both

Ah ok. Thanks for all the info. I will just go back to waiting for it to break 4.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

pixaal posted:

This can be solved with a mini fridge, now if you wanted say a cocktail I could understand not wanting to pause the movie to mix another one but a pee break followed by shaking some ice around could be a good intermission.

This is me except I still love going to the theatre with my kids. It is a good get out of the house experience. And they are still in awe of it even though we have better at home.

It hit home really hard how much I miss going to movie rentals with my parents and or friends when I watched the blockbuster documentary.

I would really hate to lose theatres for that specific social and familial interaction.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Robinhood limit sell seems to not work with crypto. I have had a limit sell set at 60k since the 21st.

And as far as I can tell btc crossed 60k twice since then :/.

I bring it up here cause I worry that my stock limit sells will also just he flat ignored.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

jokes posted:

Ah but you could simply buy a $300 piece of poo poo from Xiaomi and have all your needs met, which means Apple's business model is poo poo and everyone should divest!

The argument is what it is, but they have captured a stupid amount of people in America's most lucrative demographic: white Boomers. It is hard as hell to find old white people who don't use iPhones who aren't tech people or abject luddites who say things like "meets my needs" or whatever. In the last 5 years I have yet to meet a middle class (or richer) white person older than, like, 40 who doesn't have an iPhone and iPad.

Why is this important? That same demographic is responsible for billions and billions of dollars of market cap for stupid poo poo that everyone else aggressively hates for very good reason. DIN, HOG, cruise stocks, etc.

Me.. I have nothing but android devices.. 43. :P.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Oatly Trip report.

Thanks to this thread I ordered a carton of the original. This morning I swapped my kids milk for the oatly in the cereal. And for the first time ever, they finished the cereal as well as the milk in the bowl. Thanks thread for the oatly intermission the other day! I'm going to try the full fat version on them next cause my son really needs the fat. He's a stick and does 3 nights a week of jiujitsu, kick boxing, and wrestling. And eats like a bird at 8 years old.

Stock talk
Still holding 1k of the NDRA lottery, and I'm still down on apple cause I bought in at 135.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

pixaal posted:

Good news, AAPL is $135+ most of premarket, it's probably opening around there. I currently don't see a reason for it to go down (doesn't mean it wont) but odds are that should flip to green today for you.

Yeah I was mostly including it to semi stay on topic heh. I plan on holding it long term, so not a big deal.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

TheKevman posted:

Don't expect that I'll get filled but put in an order for 12 at $300

e: just adjusted up to 10/$360 based on what I see on Webull where the estimate says $350

Robinhood has it at 250 lol.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

D1Sergo posted:

Finding the right penny stock is exhilarating, I've managed to swing trade a particular stock from buy .0021 -> sell .0027 -> buy .0023 -> sell .0031 -> buy .0024, and I feel like a goddamn genius. It's been helping to keep me steady while weed stocks bounce me around.

Don't you eat taxes each time you do this though? I was originally doing this until I found out each sale is taxable, then it didn't really make sense to keep re buy in with my original base plus profit forever escalating gains cause it felt like I was also super escalating the taxable burden to a break even.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

10% taxes on a $100 gain 10 times is the same as 10% taxes on a $1000 gain one time. Is that not how it works?

But how does that change if you are reinvesting that 100 and it makes another 100. And now you invest that 200 and make another 100.. and then you do it again and again? For some reason I had it in my head that you would be retaxing the gains each time?

Is it just the 100 taxed each time? Cause if so then I totally misunderstood how that worked.

Do I have this wrong in my head?

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 21, 2021

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Dumb question maybe.

I want to dump my gains into s&p 500. Can I do this on robinhood?

Or rather what should I do with my gains to secure them into more long term and not just re gamble them?

Keeping in mind I already have full match 401k, full safety fund of 6 months in savings, no cc debt. I just took 5k to gamble with and have been doing pretty ok :). But I don't want an ever growing gambling account hehe.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Infinite Karma posted:

SPY and VOO are the most popular S&P 500 index funds, they very closely track the underlying index.

SPY has a more robust options chain and higher volume, VOO has lower management fees and so sightly higher yield.

So that would be the ETF's then on robinhood?

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Thanks!

So with spy and voo, dump whatever gains I get in and try not to look at it at all for a couple years then is what my plan is.

That way whatever price I buy at each week/day/time doesn't matter in the long run right?

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Just a robinhood account lol. And it lets me buy partial shares. So anytime I come up with a profit going forward after the initial buy, I was just going to send it that way.

Note. Not talking about my 401k account, that is managed by my employer account with vanguard and I don't get to do things with it other thannset target dates and aggressiveness.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Red posted:

Good for you! Make sure you have an IRA set up, too. If you qualify (i.e., don't make too much), get your rear end a Roth IRA.

"What's a Roth IRA?"

Answer: https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/investing/what-is-a-roth-ira

"Why should I have one? I have a 401k and cool meme stocks! I'm getting my grandma's house and MY GIRLFRIEND's family is rich."

Answer: It's a tax-free treasure chest. All your gains can't be touched by the man. Max it out every year; it should be your priority in terms of investing. Even if it's not, you should, at the very least, have one set up with something that will grow, and it acts as a net to catch your 401k if/when you leave your job, and don't want to have like 6 or 7 401k accounts floating around.

Should I be withdrawing my gains and putting them in a roth instead of directly investing spy on robinhood? Or keep on my spy gain investment in RH and add another investment path to my portfolio that is the roth?

Come up with a profit from where?

The stocks and coins crypto that I have been managing to come out ahead on with weekly ish trades/sales.

Been riding the NDRA and doge highs and lows and coming out pretty good. But I don't want to keep gambling with ever increasing amounts lol.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 30, 2021

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

I guess is RH holders don't get it?

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Cacafuego posted:

1890 @ $2.17

late to the game cause I checked out for the weekend

1.8k @ 2.19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
hahah RH force logged me out just now when I went to check out the amc crazyness. And now it won't let me log back in. Keeps saying there is something wrong with my credential.