Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Watching the GME situation with great amusement. I have a few shares so if it spikes great but if not I'm not out anything. It finally gave me the impetus to fix my portfolio though.

There's some weird stuff going on with the trading. Why are all the trades exact multiples of 100 within seconds of each other?

https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/stocks/gme/latest-real-time-trades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Ah thanks! I've always just invested in index ETF so this is all new to me.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

It's very sad and I stand by my comments that we are going to see some suicides over this.

I doubt that 21 YO losing 25k is even close to the worst.

Yeah I bought some but with money I can afford to lose! People dropping their life savings are crazy.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Enigma89 posted:

I am guessing today is make or break for reddit with GME. It either pushes the roof or it crashes down to sub $50.

It's totally crashing. They act like they own all the stock when in reality most of it is owned by institutions. There is literally no reason why Blackrock can't unload way more shares than all of WSB simultaneously killing and pocketing any rally.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

a friend in need posted:

Why are you guys all gambling on FDA approval? There are like a thousand things that could go wrong with Phase 3...

I'm a neurologist, not a gastroenterologist, but I got in for a few reasons. They're going for 510(k) since they're already CE approved in Europe. Should go through pretty quickly since it's non-invasive. The phase III trial is probably a red herring. Unless I'm missing something there's only one Endra trial on clinicaltrials.gov which is a feasibility study lasting through 2022. Based on what I read this morning the technology does work and their IP/patents will end up worth a lot more than the specific device itself. There's a lot of interest in bedside imaging for a variety of specialties. Neurology is starting to get in on ultrasound for diagnosis and prognosis of neuromuscular disorders and there's new research in ultrasound monitoring of intracranial pressure in ICU patients.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Axel Serenity posted:

Goddamit, I'm buying 50 shares of NDRA in the morning, aren't I? I can't tell when the thread is memeing or serious anymore lol

Ah well. Guess I can use some of the Aphria call I sold today for a hefty markup.

I looked up their studies and their pilot device had an R2 of 0.61 when compared to MRI. This is better than conventional ultrasound and pretty good for a first round. Haven't been able to find any follow up studies though.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
It's sad to watch, these people really don't understand that experienced brokers exited their shorts and then re-shorted at 400 expecting the crash. "But they doubled down and we're going to squeeze!"

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Harminoff posted:

I don't think it applies to cash accounts so that might be why as well.

You can make 3 day trades in 5 business days. If you make a 4th you are a PDT and need to have 25k available in your account.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Pillowpants posted:

So I read about NDRA and I'm going to buy - but what type of increase are we looking at when it does get FDA approval? What have similar types of things shown?

Current price target is $5-6 this year. However, as a physician I think it's going to get much higher over several years if they're able to license their tech for other diseases. They will probably get bought out.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

BurntCornMuffin posted:

They have a noninvasive liver imaging procedure for treating cirrhosis under review by the FDA, which is due to finish soon. Since their partner in the trial has a very high success rate, and there are a lot of heavy drinkers in the US, we are confident that this will make NDRAs number go up.

Very high success rate = 100% FDA approval for over 100 products since the 90s.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Martman posted:

Look at stuff like Stocktwits and you'll see the exact same (or worse) utter bullshit discussion of stocks. WSB is just a somewhat unique Venn diagram of people with actual thoughts about investing vs. full-blown gambling addicts.

Counterpoint - Stocktwits and WSB are great! I can time day trades almost perfectly by selling when the TO THE MOON/DIAMOND HANDS posts reach critical mass.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

These are good points. I'm just not as bullish since I can't see them releasing another product besides the Switch.

Tom's Guide Switch Pro posted:

But we weren't able to find any evidence of such verification and the veracity of these insider claims also hinges upon a Reddit post by the interestingly-named user longcock_johnson, a user we can’t claim to have any knowledge of.

Believe in longcock_johnson for all your investing advice

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Isn't Japan where all the major companies buy huge stakes in each other so they can all weather financial storms together?

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

McCloud posted:

The GameStop situation was a bit unique though, in that people didn't invest in it because of nostalgia or w/e, they did it because they knew hedge funds had shorted the stock and got the idea that if they pumped the stock the hedge funds would have to pay through their nose, thereby "shooting the stock to the moon"

TBF GME did in fact shoot from $8 to $453.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Flea Bargain posted:

I'm the idiot who got in at 104 on GME. I've got a sell order in now for half my shares that covers my investment and a little bit on top. Feel like I won a coin flip, but I'm too chicken to let it all ride.

Did you get out with profit? Then you won. Wondering what could have been will make you the bag holder.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

pmchem posted:

this is an actual article on bloom berg dot com

https://twitter.com/wealth/status/1389668160031371265?s=20

bloomberg wealth targets their 1%'ers

Stock Trading Thread: Dogecoin is the GameStop of cryptocurrencies

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Vanguard didn't purchase 1.5 million shares of $GOON 6 weeks ago on a whim.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

pmchem posted:

you all are basically making leveraged swing trades on a biotech equal-weight ETF until there's any FDA news

Ooh baby talk dirty to me

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Zypher posted:

I’m currently making more than my day job swing trading but

a) market conditions blah blah disclaimer
b) I’m happy taking profits with small swings of 3-5% because I’m working with decently large position sizes
c) I wouldn’t be as comfortable doing this without being very secure with my day job

This. I make about $1000/week just by screening penny stocks on volume, buying the dip just after 10 AM, and selling the 1045 bounce.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

SlothBear posted:

I understand the words in this sentence but I don't understand the strategy here. Screening for what?

Not gonna start doing this just curious what you mean.

My basic screener is Price < 5, Volume > 1 M, Relative Volume > 3, Price 20% > 20 Day SMA, Price(Now) > Open or Change > 2%. You can do this for free on FinViz but I pay for premium Stockrover to have some more technical information and faster ticker updates. Sort by volume descending and the top 2-5 hits will generally be what people are flocking into for that morning. I'll buy 500-1000 shares depending on news for a stock and initial price. This screener has picked up EYES, OCGN, and XTNT in their initial runs and made me a nice chunk of change. Mostly I just get out at 20-50 cents/share profit for a few hundred dollars a day and never look back once I sell.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

But what do you do if the stock price keeps falling?

I generally sell at 10% less than what I paid. This usually doesn't happen because stocks where change < 2% are automatically screened out and selling before noon gets me out at profit. I also don't bet on every stock that shows up.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Maybe its just me, but operating under the assumption that stocks will always go back up seems like a recipe for disaster.

Also Im gonna try this.

Just screen it for awhile. You'll see that most of these stocks will end up 5-10% in the green around 1030-1100. You will need to follow day trader rules as well. One quick rule is not to buy anything if there's less than 5 screened stocks as this usually means the whole market is down. Another quick rule is to check news for a stock, if there's news it's likely to pop up quickly. I like Stock Rover because it has a news tracker.

There's not much risk in my method because I don't buy on margin and I only buy a few hundred shares so downsides are limited.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I don't really want to pile on, I've done the same thing with futures from time to time and believe this has probably worked (you have to sit out a lot but markets seem to get on daily clock for weeks at a stretch) but you were just in indexes 16 weeks ago. That's not a lot of weeks.

Oh yeah this isn't some kind of master stock strategy. I originally responded to someone asking how much money we're putting in. I just throw down like $500 in a day and if I make $100 I'm out. Sometimes I get really crazy and bet on 2 things at once!

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Pillowpants posted:

You should share your picks tomorrow morning so we can see if it works

Depends on the overall market I don't trade every day. Friday's screener picked up SNDL, ITRM, EMAN, VNTR, and TELL.

E: seriously this is just penny stock gambling don't bet the farm on my screener.

cirus fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 31, 2021

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
OEG looks like the pick for today probably going to have an early selloff locking in gains and then bounce.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

LibCrusher posted:

I picked up 100 shares of this on its way up this morning! Good looking out!

Yeah I bought 200 shares at 5.40 and sold at 6.10. It might pop again but I locked in profit.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Pillowpants posted:

Fun story - I tried to sell this at 6.05 and it didn't process due to a phone issue......its a 8.21 right now

Bank error in your favor collect $10

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Pillowpants posted:

I meant on Stockrover - I found it on Finviz

It's Volume vs. Average (3m). It's percentage so you have to put in 300 instead of 3 like you would with FinViz.

Got in WINT this morning at 2.60 and out at 3.10.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Checking out AREC. Popped up this morning on the news that they can purify and reclaim neodymium from magnet waste. They just did a direct offering at their 52 week high to raise capital. Currently under $3, would suspect a substantial price increase or buyout over the next 1-2 years given the current shortages in rare earth minerals concurrent with pushing for electric vehicles.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
It's the latest in a long line of questionable neurological drugs that put me in an ethical quandary. Ocrelizumab is the only drug with FDA approval for primary progressive multiple sclerosis and barely alters the disease course at a price tag of around 150k/year. Riluzole barely does anything for ALS and used to cost thousands per month though the cost has come down in recent years. Also there's really no good way to formally diagnose Alzheimer's so I can look forward to fighting with both patients and insurers for a drug that doesn't do anything.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Le0 posted:

Hey this is interesting to me actually because it happens that my GF takes Ocrevus. In Switzerland at least it seem to be the go to drug for people diagnosed with MS. Could you elaborate on why you say it barely alters the disease? Since taking this my GF hasn't had any new lesions, it's been a couple years now but it might also be dumb luck because we think she doesn't have a very bad version of MS.

In stock news I'm up 4.66$ on $GOON, to the moon!!

Ocrevus is great for relapsing remitting MS which is what your girlfriend has. It barely did anything for primary progressive MS yet I'm forced to prescribe it or face a malpractice lawsuit.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

galenanorth posted:

Does Volume > 1 M mean current volume or average volume?

The FinViz options I checked were

Descriptive tab
Price: Under $5
Average Volume: Over 1M
Relative Volume: Over 3

Technical tab
20-Day Simple Moving Average: Price 20% Above SMA20
Change: Up
Change from Open: Up 2%

I use current volume for finviz although I moved away from the free version since it updates too slowly.

Got burned on SONM going sideways today skipped NEXT because I saw it too late.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Good on anyone who invested in Aethlon Medical.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

cr0y posted:

Good lord AEMD.

How do you find these things early ☹️

You wouldn't it's been flat since at least January and popped up on COVID news after hours.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Pillowpants posted:

I just received an offer on my house for 600. I bought in New England in 2018 for 340. House isn't even for sale.

Cirus - Curious what you used from the screener today? I offet my losses on mene WISH and CLOV by making some decent gains on ANY and SPRT.....but I have also noticed that it works better if i buy at 11:15 and sell at 11:45 - which leads me to ask...are you not on EST?

Timing was just my limited experience over a few months - small sample size. Probably doesn't hold up long term.

I'm testing some new ways to screen pennies before they jump. Got into ANY yesterday at 1.9.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Got reamed on AMST today. It never popped. Still net positive on the week though!

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Saw tons of volume moving into SENS, placed a small bet, then they pushed it on CNBC and now it's flying.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
LMAO Mudrick Capital sold their AMC shares and immediately bought naked calls ending up with a net 5.4% loss.

https://finance.yahoo.com/finance/news/mudrick-amc-bet-backfires-meme-221912972.html

One of us one of us one of us

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
It's the power of the Internet. Previously these big firms could heavily short and manipulate whatever they wanted and there wasn't any way for people to fight back. Now the information is immediately available and more importantly can be rapidly disseminated to a huge number of actors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

The level of misinformation on places like Reddit is actually pretty astounding. It's even devolved into conspiracy theory nonsense in a lot of places. This is the power of the internet, don't get me wrong. It's just that's it's not working like you think it does.

Oh yeah it's not necessarily correct information but can still herd a large number of actors in a focused direction.