Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

In your opinion what's the best first beginners book to read? "The neatest little guide"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Netflix is killin it.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Where can I see a history of older IPO's, like from 2016?

Also, how we feeling about Ferrari, and Zillow?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

LLCoolJD posted:

You forgot to mention SHAK.

Thanks, I think.

Anyone else with a helpful reply?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Whistling rear end in a top hat posted:

http://www.nasdaq.com/markets/ipos/activity.aspx?tab=filings&month=2017-03

^^ change the date values at the end, works going back to at least 2010, I didn't check further than that. there's probably a nice sophisticated way to do this on a proper (probably paid) platform

Awesome. Thank you sir.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Did I miss the Nvidia train? Or is it still good to buy now at its current price?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

greasyhands posted:

Man, AAPL really is turning into MSFT. Just riding whatever trend comes out with their own lame knockoff version. Will be a cash cow forever, but what a disappointment.

They're hosed without Steve Jobs.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Cant buy Ferrari with Robinhood. Gotta get a real account. TD Ameritrade or Scottrade or what?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I went into my local Scottrade branch and opened an account and gave em the check. I could tell they sized me up and knew I was small potatoes and they were really short. But they were polite and nice enough.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 8, 2017

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

drat I got buttraped with my Cloudera stock today.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Wondering if I should dump my Cloudera stock or ride it out and see if it rebounds.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I’d buy GoPro before Gamestop. They’ve closed more than half their locations, and the stores that remain have horrible prices and even worse selection. Their inventory is so pathetic that they have game cases on display for games they don’t have in stock, otherwise the shelves would look too empty.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Anyone getting in on the Vizio ipo?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I cashed out my Tesla. I don't have the nuts to hold and see if it can turn around.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I'm not smart enough, or dumb enough to try day trading, but i'm tempted to buy one bitcoin stock, and flip it in under a month and make a few g's.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

gently caress this poo poo, i’m buying gold bars.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I'm thinking of having my whole portfolio be Apple.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

After getting hurt on those tech stocks, and closing my positions and wiping the slate clean, i'm making some different moves.

Got some retail business. CVS, Lowes, Kirkland, Target.

Also, HL (gold mining company). And Cisco, because they're products are ubiquitous (drat I spelled that word right)

And tomorrow i'm looking to get SLX, and BDRY, a steel, and goods shipping ETF. Check them out folks.

Keeping my Apple and Google. Cuz they rule the world.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Is there a name for this system?

For example, you have a $50k portfolio (plus 5k in reserve cash). You trade only once a month, and you maintain that 50k balance. If you've gained after a month, you sell your weakest stock to bring the balance back down to 50k, and pocket the earnings. If you've lost, you buy more of your best stock to bring it back up to 50k, using your cash reserve.

If there is a name for it, then I can research it, and hear others experience with it. I'm wondering if it could work, with stalwart companies, for the long term, to avoid panic selling, and the emotions that come from news stories and market fluctuation.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

If I understand what you're proposing - and I very well may not, because "weak" and "strong" aren't clear - then this is a horrifying strategy you should definitely not use.

Assumptions:
  • You're holding a basket of many stocks
  • "weakest" means the stock that fell in price the most (or if there were none that fell, the one that grew the least)
  • "strongest" means the opposite of that: the stock that grew the most, or fell the least.
  • The market continues to generally go up over the long term, as it has tended to do for over a century now

On average, you'd tend to have more "up" months than "down" months, assuming your portfolio follows the overall market trend (and if it doesn't do that, you're underperforming the market; you'd better be able to justify this by showing your portfolio to have less volatility/risk than a market index, or else you're already doing investing very wrong).

Each "up" month, you'll lock in your losses by selling a stock that is temporarily down, while failing to lock in gains from the stock that is most inflated. Each "down" month, you'll pay the maximum price among all your stocks, while failing to put cash into the most underpriced/bargains.

You'll be deliberately, monthly, destroying the long-term value of your portfolio via this totally stupid and unnecessary churn.

Now. Maybe by "best" and "worst" you actually meant "most on sale" and "most overpriced" - in which case, sure, OK. You're selling your best gainers, and buying the stocks that are cheapest. But this only works, in theory, if you're also picking stocks specifically suited to the long-term... and even then, instead of sticking to a specific allocation target, you're effectively selling off the best performers while accumulating the stocks that tend to drop in value frequently. Why did you pick these specific stocks? If you believe in all of them, don't you want to continue to hold all of them? Sometimes, you'll be doing the right thing by accumulating stocks on sale and locking in profits: but, suppose for example Apple was one of your stocks. You'd be continuously selling off your Apple holdings even while the company grew and grew, destroying your ability over the long term to maximally profit from those gains.

The term for an approach where you have an allocation across multiple assets that you repeatedly return to via selling outperformers and buying underperformers is called "rebalancing" and it's what we do, but annually rather than monthly, in our retirement accounts where we're holding very broad, very low-cost index funds. If your target allocation is, say, 50% US stock fund, 30% international stock fund, 20% bond fund; then each year, if your stocks have outgrown your bonds, you'll need to sell some stocks and buy some bonds to rebalance to get to your allocation: thus, you're selling your outperformers and buying your underperformers.

I would not recommend a buy-and-hold but rebalance approach using a manually-created set of merely a dozen or so stocks, with no further attention paid to their fundamentals or performance or whatever. I would also not recommend your "allocation" across a basket of stocks being a fixed amount of dollars rather than setting percentages based on something meaningful (market cap, sector, asset type, risk profile, etc.) Picking stocks and actively choosing allocations, while rebalancing as funds enter or exit the account, is more or less what active fund managers do: and on average, actively-managed funds loving suck. A huge majority of them underperform index funds after accounting for fees. You'd need to be better at picking stocks than those highly compensated fancy-degree-holding experienced fund managers, to hope to outperform.

Thanks for the thorough and thoughtful response.

It was recommended to me by a family member who was concerned for me because i’ve been panic selling.
They’ve had wacky ideas before, but they’ve been making good consistent money in stocks for the past 20 years so I consider their advice.

I only started investing serious amounts of money 2 months ago, and mostly in tech, energy, and growth stocks, so i’ve never been hammered like this before. I also got really unlucky with PLUG and lost a lot. In the past I had a small amount of money invested, so I didn’t give a poo poo. I rarely even looked at my portfolio. And i more than doubled my money in less than 2 years.

Following the market on a daily basis is new for me, so I don’t have much perspective with trends, and being able to judge wether news is truly serious enough to justify selling or not. If I had been investing seriously for several years, i’d be better equipped to decide how serious the inflation issue is.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Why are all the WSB people going nuts over SOFI? All the posts are about them buying it, but I can't seem to find any info on why they expect the stock to take off.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Its interesting how the stock market keeps changing its mind about being worried about inflation and covid.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Seeing stock prices drop because of downgrades has me wondering if anyone has done an algorithm to check the track record of these research analysts grading.

Just wondering who's gotten it right the most. Who commands the most influence, ie Vickers vs Market Edge. And how much I should let their grading factor in to my trading decisions.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Tipranks.com keeps track of ratings by analyst and their performance by stock, etc.

Thanks. I'm checking it out.

I currently have 1/3rd of my money in a mutual fund, and 2/3 in individual stocks.
But my good performing stocks keep getting offset by a couple stocks with big losses. Lost a lot on BDRY, and ATVI for example.
I don't have the knowledge and experience to even match the market.

I'm going to do 2/3rds of it in VOO and VTI. Then try to make some good individual trades with 1/3rd.

Has anyone else just decided to put all their money in a mutual fund? If so, are you happy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Don't worry guys, I sold all my stocks, so the market will rebound next week for sure.