Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Ford’s sync system is far superior to almost all other manufacturer’s systems. I have no clue what you guys are talking about. I used to travel for work and rented different cars weekly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I still believe it was a Robinhood liquidity issue after Apex raised the capital requirement from 3% -> 100%. It sucks and it definitely let the shorts out the escape hatch but I don't think there was collusion.

Are you saying raising the capital requirement from 3% -> 100% was cool and normal? Maybe I misunderstood your post.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Do you guys have any thoughts on the SPAC ETFs?

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

DoomTrainPhD posted:

:doh: Yeah I, I'm dumb and forgot 401Ks are Vanguard, not Hedge funds. :doh:

Edit:

Even Ted Benna has called the 401K a monster that should be blown up.

Your last several posts make absolutely zero sense and I hope no one listens to you.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Space Fish posted:

Mutual funds are something you would invest in inside a brokerage account, including but not limited to an IRA or 401k. Most company-sponsored IRAs and 401ks offer employees a limited menu of mutual funds from which to choose, so the topics overlap a lot.

Mutual funds by and large drag behind index funds in terms of performance, especially when you factor in fees, taxes, and fund managers (this claim has been thoroughly backtested). There are a few that outperform the S&P 500, but they tend to be temporary highs followed by microscopic or negative returns. Again, indexes reign supreme.

The Bogleheads website breaks down some good three-fund portfolios based on which brokerage you use. Do not (DO NOT) pay fees to, say, buy Vanguard mutual funds from Fidelity.

Generally speaking, ETFs can act as a tax-efficient substitute for a mutual fund if you are using a taxable account (many are fee-free between companies, too). For example, if you use Fidelity you might hold Fidelity index funds FSKAX / FTIHX / FUAMX in your Roth IRA and Vanguard's ETFs VTI / VXUS in your taxable account. There are justifications and edge cases for this or that specific goal/strategy/circumstance, but these examples work for basic indexing.

Uh oh, that sounded like long-term advice. Hmmm... I swapped out Sundial for Trulieve. What better way to refresh the economy than to legalize pot just in time for the latest stimmy?

Why do their recommended three-fund portfolios have so much bond exposure? Why would anybody below 55 have more than 5% bond exposure?

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

leper khan posted:

Dunning krueger shows that though people can identify they aren't as good as jordan, jordan doesn't identify how much better he is than others. Not sure what you're trying to reference with the study or if you've read it.

No.

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias hypothesis that people with low ability at a task overestimate their ability.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Speaking of weed stocks, does anyone like GRWG?

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Mad Wack posted:

Ally Invest was solid during the gamestop fiasco too - they had some website problems but they provided workarounds when other platforms were straight up down - they also didn't limit my trading or mess with my ability to buy and sell

their app is not the best but they are legit brokerage and they haven't hosed me yet

They recently stopped accepting trailing stops. I’m not so hot on that decision.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

A lot @2.4

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Baddog posted:

20% of bitcoins, so it'll be nice. Although I'm always gonna be "gently caress it should have been so much better".

I’ll believe it when I see it

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Lum_ posted:

glad I finally took the loss and punched out of PLTR first thing this morning, it's down 9% so far today

What’s the deal with PLTR? I haven’t followed the hype

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Burn Zone posted:

Doesn't Robinhood charge $75 to transfer out? Does Fidelity reimburse this?

No, you just use Fidelity to transfer in. Robinhood charges you if you use them to initiate an outward transfer. Just don’t use them to initiate poo poo.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Could anyone point me in the right direction to ask questions about SARs (stock appreciation rights / phantom stock) from a private company?

I was issued some and don’t know how to exercise or how to determine the current unit values.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Gone Fashing posted:

goons hate cathie wood the same way they hate bitcoin, its really annoying how every time someone mentions her in this thread someone has to come in and say how actually she's an insane idiot who only gets unreal returns on her funds because she got lucky/rides tesla's coattails/does lots of adrenochrome/whatever

I like Cathie but hate bitcoin :shrug:

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

LibCrusher posted:

Just yolod 3 grand into SPY puts for 26 feb
💪😤🤌 #italiano

Lmao

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

RCarr posted:

Honestly, the way you are posting as if you are in the middle of a days-long coke binge is more concerning than your opinions.

I like the part where they ask for advice, then double down on the opposite.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Uncle Lloyd posted:

"And not every time I did that, but I would say every third or fourth time, I would run into the Ark of the Covenant being taken into the Israelites, taking the Ark of the Covenant into battle before them, because they believed that the presence of God was in the Ark of the Covenant. As I began to get this idea of a firm going and realized that I was fighting this war, I knew I had to name my company “ARK” for Ark of the Covenant.

[...]

I funded it for the first three years all by myself. And for the first three years, our assets didn’t grow that much. And I thought, Oh my goodness, what have I done? Every two weeks there was an exit of a significant amount of my wealth into the company. And I would kneel down and say, “Okay, God, You’re in control. Even if this company fails, I know I’ve done the right thing. This is a walk of faith for me. Your will be done.” - Cathie Wood

"Verily I say unto you, as you have done for the richest of my children, you have done for me." - God, apparently.

Lmao, is this for real? I no longer like Cathie

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Is there a way to quantify the risks for an ETF outside of the performance of its holdings? (Let’s use ARKF as an example)

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

$78

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

I’ve been piling in UVXY when something stupid is happening with meme stocks. Seems to be working well.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

punk rebel ecks posted:

What's everyone's thoughts on 3D printing stocks? I see that they shot up in January and are now falling, but looking it up I can't find out why. I always saw 3D printers as replacing many things in industrial manufacturing and for eventually being for consumer use.

What “things” do you see it replacing in industrial manufacturing? How is it an improvement on the current methods?

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

punk rebel ecks posted:

3D printing is excellent for making prototypes before companies fully commit to a product. It can also be useful for people printing various toys and items to sell for their small business instead of ordering stuff from say Alibaba. I can also see people using it for general consumer use as they can print replacement items for things that are lost or broken (the back clip of your tv remote) or just to print children's toys or small models to decorate their room.

Yes, but none of what you just said applies to scaling and industrial manufacturing

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Red posted:

What are folks' rule of thumb for whether or not to use the automatic dividend reinvestment option?

I see no discernible reason why you wouldn’t want to do it.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Baddog posted:

Sup working on taxes buddy.

I need to get some information from the IRS for my accountant, and apparently they can't verify my phone? So they want to physically mail me a code, like its loving 1980.

Lol, I had to do this last year.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Oh yeah definitely. It's anecdotal but one of my coworkers was just promoted to a team leader for going "above and beyond" in 2020 (working from the office every single day of the pandemic)

Wait, so you have gold bricks but moonlight as a mid-level employee?

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Mid-level is overstating it

Do you mind me asking why you continue to work the job?

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Femtosecond posted:

I've actually done very well buying equities on margin, though I think the caveat here is to have enough of a stable marginable stock (eg. AAPL) that you can tap that margin and not expect margin calls. I plan on using margin to buy poo poo tons of Roblox.

I've probably been doing terrible, risky, bad idea stuff but any mistakes I've made have been covered over by the constant bull market we've had.

How much margin and how long are you holding equities on margin? Did you factor in the interest you have to pay?

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Bitcoin may replace bonds, Cathie Wood says

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/bitcoin-may-replace-bonds-cathie-wood-says-11614276934?mod=home-page

Well, that’s the final straw for my ARKF position

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I mean more being able to act within minutes versus hours or days.

Sure thing. I only have vague memories from when I had money and Gilead a long time ago and was waiting for an FDA decision on that, I don’t recall exactly how it worked with the investor relations email signup.

Setup a google alert :shrug:

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Cacafuego posted:

For anyone that's done an ACATS transfer, when you got your 1099-B the next year, did everything work out? I'm confused because I transferred from RH to Ally in December and Ally is showing me with a ton of realized gain on stocks that came over from RH, but they're showing the cost basis as $0 for the ones that came over. So it looks like I paid nothing to acquire them and sold them for many thousands of dollars. My RH 1099-B that I got for 2020 appears to be correct.

What gives?

Same thing happened when Ally acquired tradeking. I’ve just assumed it’s because they’re lovely.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Question for all you buying the dips (and not day trading) - where is the cash coming from? Are you squeezing your bank account and sending more cash to the brokerage? Why is the money you can afford to invest, not already invested, given time in the market is better than trying to time the market?

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

TheParadigm posted:

Don't forget about the quadruple witching hour on the 19th this month. It should play havoc with a ton of stocks and the market in general. I haven't been through one before, but everyone's talking about how there's gonna be turmoil and suchlike.

Basically all the options for everything expire that day.

Can someone tell me why this isn’t a major UVXY opportunity?

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I just wanted to follow up on NDRA. Still haven’t heard back from their investor relations yet, will try and follow up with them. I have a really busy day so if anyone could try filling out the contact form and asking them the question I posted about earlier on the thread (regarding the timing of an FDA approval press release and how to find out when it occurs via an alert system) I’d really appreciate it.

Just so I understand, you’re contacting the company in hopes they leak confidential information to a random internet person? (And also asking for others to do the same?)

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

MazelTovCocktail posted:

That would be pretty awesome and ridiculous.

Are you complimenting your own joke? I feel like I’m taking crazy pills today

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

cr0y posted:

Full disclosure I am still a noob and am learning via flagrant gambling and brutal losses, with that being said...

On the topic of hedging, does anything exist that correlates stocks? I need to find a way to insirr the downside of positions a bit instead of just eating collapses. I'm not referring to stop losses, I'm referring to indexes/other stocks/whatever that inversely corellate to a given symbol.

This is a great way to expose yourself to perpetual slightly negative gains, IMO. You’re looking to pay someone to bet against you unless you’re looking to literally hedge, and that’s what options are for.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

cr0y posted:

If NOK gets pumped again I am going be loving rich. I'm sitting on 10,000 shares worth of $5 calls going out til the end of may

Do you have a sell limit order in place?

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Is there a reason you would buy a short term otm option like this, this far before the event? Aren’t you paying a bit of a premium for the theta?

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

pixaal posted:

So it trades at market open and not some other time?

What do you mean?

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Someone convince me why I shouldn’t buy a bunch of long-dated puts on GME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Uranium 235 posted:

because the IV is super high therefore the premiums are very expensive

Okay, so basically I would be fighting premium decay once IV starts dropping?