Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

LLCoolJD posted:

NTDOY was my best pick of 2017. Normally, I would feel a bit uneasy about an OTC video game stock being my winner, but next to this hyper speculative crypto stuff I feel positively conservative.

Same. I bought a bunch because at the time it didn't seem to me like the stock had really priced in the amount of revenue that gacha games like Fire Emblem were capable of, and then the Switch released, was amazing, and sold 10 million units. Lucky..!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

jvick posted:

You mean we should diversify the thread? I agree. What shall we discuss?

A&W! Not the terrible American one, but the excellent Canadian one.

A&W is the second largest quick-service hamburger restaurant chain in Canada and has 861 restaurants.

On a whim I bought a small amount of shares mostly on the basis that it seemed that A&W had been opening up a lot of new restaurants recently, including 24/7 ones, and due to A&W's higher quality food, they'd slowly replaced McDonalds as my goto "drunken regretful post bar food." Surely that meant something.

So far this investment has... not paid off.

But seriously they're mostly based in Western Canada, and are just getting started in seriously expanding out East and into Quebec so there's lots of room to grow. It seems like the sort of business that at one point could be an appealing acquisition for a larger holding company.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Accretionist posted:

$GOON:

Play: COBALT
Rationale: Demand is projected to outstrip supply for several years thanks to solar/EV-associated demand (for batteries). The way out is cobalt-free batteries and/or deep sea mining. These shouldn't happen for at least a few years.
Caveat: Cobalt is something which comes up alongside something else in small quantities. Cobalt mines don't exist. Copper and nickel miners with good cobalt production exist but who do you invest in???
Position: $KATFF It's basically a penny stock attached to a Congolese copper mining complex with excellent cobalt reserves. They finally look to be on stable footing and should benefit from surging cobalt prices.
Confidence: Very low.

Another position in this area for $GOON could be:

quote:

$FCC.V. It's a Canadian group trying to assemble some land around the aptly named town of Cobalt, Ontario. There was an early 20th century silver mining boom there and the mines apparently also contained lots of "useless" cobalt. I heard about it from this bloomberg article.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Aramis posted:

Asuming you are talking about TSE: AW.UN, then that's an income fund (which is giving a 4.5/5% yield paid monthly), so the share price stagnating is kind of to be expected by nature, really.

Yeah I was aware that AW.UN was an income fund. It's not actually A&W Food Services, which is a private company (Boston Pizza and the Keg stocks are organized the same way. Common in franchise food businesses?). I frankly don't know much about income funds. Could you speak to why the share price stagnating is "kind of to be expected by nature?"

I understand that AW.UN and A&W the food business aren't the same thing, though there is a relationship by which as A&W expands and makes more sales, AW.UN gets more revenue.

quote:

The source of income for the A&W Revenue Royalties Income Fund (the Fund) is through its ownership in A&W Trade Marks Inc. (Trade Marks) which is the sole general partner in A&W Trade Marks Limited Partnership (the Partnership). The Partnership owns the A&W trade-marks and licences these trade-marks to A&W Food Services of Canada Inc. (A&W Food Services) for use in operating and franchising A&W restaurants. In return, A&W Food Services pays the Partnership a top-line royalty of 3% of sales from A&W restaurants in the Royalty Pool.

I wonder what happens if some giant holding company wanted to buy A&W. Would they buy out AW.UN as well? Or would it just be status quo?

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 10, 2018

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Aramis posted:

Edit: Concretely, that means that the value of the shares of the fund will tend to stabilize around whatever price makes it so the dividend yield matches what is expected by investors (around 4.5% right now).

Right that makes sense. That's about what I thought you were going to say. So as A&W adds more stores and expectations of revenue are increased one would likely see the value of shares increase a bit, but not so much that the dividend yield changes significantly.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I saw another article somewhere stating that Bolts had now outsold Tesla Model X's for the year.

Long GM ?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Not great timing on the wrap around advertising on one of Canada's national newspapers this morning.

https://twitter.com/CBCStephenQuinn/status/953660110416433152

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

LLCoolJD posted:

I'm out of NTDOY after another nice gain. :mario: Earnings are at the end of the month, but the recent surge from the DIY cardboard accessories they've announced seems overdone. If it dips down before earnings I may buy some again.

Nintendo's new cardboard Labo product looks amazingly great and is imo another reason to go long on NTDOY.

The compelling thing to me is the potential for the product series to open up new markets and retail partnerships for the company. With the slogan "Make, Play, Discover" it's clear that Nintendo is positioning this beyond a simple neato game peripheral gimmick, but also a sort of educational experience that fits with the educational STEM toy market. This will get their foot in the door into all sorts of new retailers and new households.

Additionally the margins have got to be amazing. While the competition is investing in VR and other expensive new tech, Nintendo is combining small indie tier games with cardboard and pricing the combined package at a premium.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/955651548779982850

Neat!

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Insanely great (somewhat expected) Nintendo results.

The recent polygon article about how Microsoft is desperate for exclusive Xbox games and has considered buying EA seems to be fueling a big rally in games across the board. TTWO is up 6% at the moment.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

greasyhands posted:

TTWO is crazy expensive right now, so it would make sense given MSFT's history if they bought them out.

Considering that FIFA and Madden’s licenses don’t allow those products to be console exclusive, EA doesn’t seem like a good buy to me if the point is to have a killer internal, exclusive studio. TTWO does make much more sense.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

greasyhands posted:

They tried to buy TTWO 5-ish years ago around $27/share and TTWO rebuffed them.

Oh lol I didn’t know that. Ouch.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Not a Children posted:

Don't underestimate the combined power of nerd power fantasies and investor storytime

Speaking of nerd fantasies, what impact will Musk dating Grimes have on the stock?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

lol I still have AMD. I stopped paying attention to it. Oh god what do I do now.

Also Nintendo up 5.87% on a new Pokemon game for Fall that is probably going to sell stupid amounts of Switches.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

My tech stocks + Nintendo portfolio is doing so well this last month that it's making me feel reckless. Time to buy Canadian weedstocks on margin.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

greasyhands posted:

Goldman vomited out a $490 price target on NFLX today and forecast free cash flow of $500/mil by 2022. I would LOVE to see the math they are using to justify this. I have not seen a valuation so out of whack with cash flow potential since the dot com days. Net Neutrality has been repealed, and the repeal looks to stay. Every other 'old school' content provider is rapidly working to team up with a distributor (i.e. an ISP)- NFLX's delivery costs stand to go up significantly and unless they do something fairly radical, their margins are going to be even thinner than they already are.

Well on the plus side for Netflix, with net neutrality dead and costs of delivery sure to rise, the moat for rich, established players such as them has widened and their chances of being usurped by a nimble newcomer are near zero.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

LLCoolJD posted:

NTDOY is dipping to the low $40s on an uninspring 2018 release schedule :japan: I thought the Switch printed money, but then again no new AAA games until the Christmas season (Pokemon and Smash Brothers). Throw in some more stopgap Wii U ports, boys! Still, I think it's a good buy. I assume the bleeding stops soon.

Nintendo dropping makes no sense. Nothing substantial has changed. Still a buy and hold imo.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

lol more Trump says he's seeking more anti-china tariffs. Great.

I wonder at what point this really starts to filter down to consumer goods and what would be affected the most.

Maybe this will kill the drop shopping industry and SHOP lol.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

LLCoolJD posted:

Same, but NTDOY. I should've ridden the CGC train with my fun money for longer.

I also feel NTDOY should be trending more toward where the stock was during the height of the Wii fad... :\

Especially since NTDOY not only has a hot console on their hands, but a brand new, super profitable revenue stream with Mobile games.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

SHOP + weed! :2bong:

quote:

Shopify to provide e-commerce platform for online B.C. cannabis sales

British Columbia has selected Shopify Inc. to provide an e-commerce platform for the online sale of non-medical cannabis in the province.

The Liquor Distribution Branch, which will be the sole wholesale distributor and public retailer of cannabis, says the Ottawa-based company was selected because of its proven record of on-time service, user-friendly design and approach to anticipating consumer needs.

Shopify was chosen following a request for proposals earlier this year.

It will create two separate websites to fulfil online orders: one for consumers where the age of the purchaser will be verified and the second for public and private retail stores.

Couriers will also verify the age of buyers at delivery.

At-store pickup of online orders is being considered.

The distribution centre will be located in a 6,500 square-metre facility in Richmond.

The online store will be ready in early fall once non-medical cannabis is legalized on Oct. 17.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Seems like a lot of people are looking at this as an opportunity to buy NFLX

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Came in here to post this. I don't know how one can make such a bold bet without some sort of inside knowledge.

Anyway Nintendo results come out after close tomorrow which should be interesting.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Nintendo Switch software sales are up 120% YoY why is this stock being shorted so hard lol. Stock is up 6.5% in JPN.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Hedge Fund Manager Plotkin Takes a Hit as Nintendo Stock Surges

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

roadhead posted:

*sometime in the recent past*

Oh Man, This AMD I've had forever is up to $15 - probably will go back down soon, better sell.

I'd had the shares nearly 10 years at this point...

I bought in at ~$12. Should I sell half and let it ride to the moon? I haven't been paying attention to AMD at all to my fortunate benefit.

Meanwhile Canopy growth goes to the moon while the two weed stocks I own, SNN and ACB, do little and I've still lost money on them having bought too high.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I've been trading for years and years but never felt the need to touch options. I saw the post a few pages back describing the best books about options trading and I've placed a hold on one at my local library. While I'm waiting for that though I'm eager to dip my toe in just a little bit. I have no idea what I'm doing so this should be fun.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 1, 2018

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

greasyhands posted:

I cannot imagine a better way to lose all your money than checking a book about derivatives out of the motherfucking library, especially one you placed a hold on and have to wait for other people to finish reading...... even going long HMNY after reading and understanding the 10Q

Sweet. Will provide updates. :2bong:

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Kal Torak posted:

For those waiting on an entry for SQ, here's your chance. Down 10% during the day and then another 11% after hours as CFO exits.

Beyond that whoa this stock has really dived beyond its high. I haven't been following this at all. What's the deal here?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Im gonna attribute the bump to the fact that Dune is on Netflix now.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

The big spread on that deal is kinda funny. I don't immediately see the risk in the deal collapsing. The last few days of downturn a factor perhaps?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

LLCoolJD posted:

Jesus, ATVI. NTDOY bagholders like myself now have some brothers. :japan:

Both still seem like good long holds. ATVI is probably worth picking up at some point due to this huge drop. Destiny may be weak but the latest CoD appears to be quite popular on twitch (already moreso than Red Dead), which is a positive metric of game engagement.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

spf3million posted:

Great points, my question is how much LNG export capacity is expected to come online in the next few years relative to the size of the US NG market?

If the NG price were to rise significantly, even to $7/dth that'd be a huge hit on big energy users like oil refineries and of course power generation and thus big electric users.

Not US, but BC has approved two LNG terminals to export their natural gas holdings. They could expand more, but if the government brings in the strict carbon taxes and ceiling they're proposing then there's no way they can add anymore than that unless new terminals are powered by electricity, which is a relatively new tech. https://outline.com/bLuR2U

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

greasyhands posted:

The quote about iphone upgrades not being as strong as expected in all markets *is* directly from the letter. You guys are buying the spin imho.... people aren't indiscriminately buying $1000 phones and theyre trying to spin it as China and 'but all this other poo poo is up 19%!. Well, that's great and all but iphone is like 60% of revenue. Anyways, not the end of the world but very concerning going forward for Apple. I already feel like they are way behind in living room stuff and Siri sucks dick compared to alexa or google assistant, and yeah... I'm not buying AAPL anytime soon. I would assume 80+% of Apple's revenue is ancillary to iphone and will trail any kind of consumer migration away from iphone... its really a terrifying company and iphone 'stickiness', as I've said a million times before, is way more fragile than people want to admit.

Edit: I've been way long since Christmas and this news has got me liquidating nearly everything that isn't high yield

Part of this strikes me as "welp we made our phones too expensive" but it also does raise concerns to me whether the economy in China is really, actually, for real this time, going to take a dump. Just the other day I read that 1 in 5 homes in China are vacant and you have this glut and price drops resulting in buyers attacking developer store fronts. Now this. Yikes?

I do think Apple has the capacity to de-emphasize away from ultra premium offerings in order to maintain their platform though I do also share your concerns about the living room stuff. Services may be a positive growth area for Apple, but their competition is aggressively putting out cheap as gently caress hardware that gets people into their ecosystem. This holiday I was seeing C$39.99 Google Homes in the impulse buy section. Apple could do a lot more to make it easier for people to go all in on Apple services.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I was just thinking last night like years ago when I was getting into running I bought an iPod Nano 6th gen and I'm pretty drat sure I only paid like C$140 - C$170. Like can you even get any Apple product for that price any more? If you're a runner their only comparable product at this point is like the watch + bluetooth headphones.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

hostile apostle posted:

TSLA looks to me like its entering into the death spiral. Sentiment is finally turning and the company is undertaking very aggressive measures to save cash, today also announcing production cuts to the S and X. With likely just $3B on the books at the end of Q4 - they'll probably be sub $2B or even $1B by end of quarter with the debt due in Q1 and depending on how bad sales are. No way they can make it the whole year with that amount of cash. I don't think a bankruptcy is out of the question.

Audi e-tron is out in April, Mercedes EQC in June, Porsche Taycan this fall... Who's gonna give TSLA any money at this point, unless its at steep steep discount to current stock price.

Nervously sitting on my $250 March 15 puts which I've held since early Nov, but things are moving in the right direction. With Musk's margin call that may begin in the $240s, I like the convexity though.

Yeah so much news now pointing to a significant lowering of growth prospects for Tesla and you have to imagine the stock price is going to reflect that.

Dipping my toe in the options water a while ago I bought some $300 March 15 puts which are now up 50%. As a total stupid baby that knows near nothing about options, what do I do now if I think TSLA is gonna continue to sink? Buy ~$250 puts for a few months later timeline and sell these $300s as the deadline approaches? If the stock prices continues to drop continue doing that cycle?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Weirdly Shopify is one of the stocks that has held its value pretty well over the last few months. I'm thinking of selling a big chunk of my holdings in that and going 'bargain hunting' buying some Apple instead. Looks like Shopify's earnings are on Feb 12 so I might as well wait and see if there's a run up and maybe hedge my bets by selling only part before and part after.

On the plus side for holding onto Shopify is that they're handling the weed stores for several Canadian provinces and many producers so there's a funny weed connection there lol. On the downside is those persistent concerns that there's a 'bubble economy' with regard to drop shipping stores etc.

What do people think on Shopify?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

TSLA CFO quits, stock still fine. wtf lmao

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

Shopify eclipses CGI Group as Canada’s top tech company

Canada’s tech sector has a new top dog.

A meteoric rise in Shopify Inc. shares in recent weeks has made the Ottawa-based e-commerce giant the single largest IT listing in the country, a title previously held by home-grown champions of technology past and present, including Nortel Networks Corp., BlackBerry Ltd. predecessor Research in Motion Ltd, and, most recently, CGI Group Inc.

With a $24.7-billion market capitalization, Shopify finds itself atop Canada’s tech sector at a pivotal stage in its evolution.

Questions linger from a 2017 short-seller attack over Shopify’s business model, competitive threats are rising and profitability is still proving elusive. But the market still expects nothing less than explosive growth, said Brian Madden, a portfolio manager at Goodreid Investment Counsel Inc.

“When you’re a smaller company, it’s achievable to grow at a triple-digit or high double-digit pace for a few years. Now, that they’re at $1-billion in revenue, that growth is much more difficult,” Mr. Madden said.

Shopify is expected to post its first 10-figure annual sales total when it reports fourth-quarter financial performance on Feb. 12.

Over the past five years, the company’s revenue has risen tenfold, which is just the kind of growth the market has been happy to handsomely reward.

After a shaky start to its life as a publicly traded company in 2015, Shopify was eventually swept up in the frenzy for U.S. tech stocks, as investors clambered for exposure to the high-growth FAANG stocks − Facebook Inc, Apple, Amazon.com Inc, Netflix Inc and Google-parent Alphabet Inc. − and their peers.

Over two years up to mid-2018, Shopify’s stock rose from about $38 a share to nearly $230, or 500 per cent over 500 trading days.

One of the few interruptions to that upward trajectory came in October, 2017, when well-known U.S. short-seller Andrew Left suggested that Shopify was concealing a high rate of churn in its customer base, calling the company a “good ol' get-rich-quick scheme.”

While the dip in Shopify’s shares proved temporary, the report raised some valid concerns about whether the company can sustain its growth, Mr. Madden said.

“The implication was that they’re having to constantly replace customers, and the treadmill just moves faster and faster as the company gets bigger.”

Like most growth stocks, fair value for Shopify is an elusive concept. The company has yet to register a profitable quarter on a GAAP (generally accepted accounting principles) basis, while an adjusted net income of about 31 cents a share is expected for fiscal 2018, according to Bloomberg data.

At a current share price of more than $223, that results in astronomical valuations by the most common metrics. “It’s very difficult to assign a value to that, so you get this tug of war in terms of price discovery,” said Jason del Vicario, a portfolio manager at HollisWealth, a division of Industrial Alliance Securities.

Over the past year, Shopify’s stock has been highly volatile, trading as low as $147 and as high as $230.

Of course, the tech-sector selloff and the late-year correction had much to do with that, as Shopify was punished alongside other growth stocks.

As the market subsequently stormed back with the best month of January for the S&P 500 index since 1987, Shopify caught the updraft, rising by 38 per cent from its Dec. 24 low.

It was that leg up that saw Shopify become the largest tech stock on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

And until proven otherwise, Shopify is in a class of its own when it comes to the thinly populated Canadian tech sector, Mr. Madden said.

“If you’re looking for raw, rapid, organic growth in new and rapidly growing markets, Shopify is your horse.”

Still on the fence about holding onto my shares or selling and buying some other tech companies whose prices have taken a dive in the last few months. Earnings on Feb 12. At the moment thinking of selling half at least.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

Messaging Platform Slack Says It's Filed to Go Public

Slack Technologies Inc. said it has filed confidentially with regulators to list the company’s shares in the U.S.

The messaging platform company didn’t provide details of its plans in a statement Monday. The company is working with Goldman Sachs Group Inc., Morgan Stanley and Allen & Co. on the share sale, according to a person familiar with the matter who asked not to be identified because the matter wasn’t public.

Slack plans to forgo a traditional initial public offering and instead intends to sell its shares to bidders in a direct listing, a person familiar with the matter said last month. That would allow current investors to sell shares without a lock-up period, among other advantages.

The company is choosing the unusual method for going public because it doesn’t need the cash or publicity of an IPO, the person said at the time. The share sale, which might take place toward mid-year, could value Slack at more than $7 billion, according to the person, who added that the San Francisco-based company’s plans could still change.

The company was valued at $7.1 billion in a $427 million funding round in August.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Seeing how absolute garbage Business Skype is (and getting worse) I can see corporate Slack skyrocket in usage in the next 5 years.

No clue if that means they'll make more money

Doesn't Microsoft have some new Slack competitor in addition to Business Skype too? I don't use Microsoft stuff at work so I have no idea.