Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004
Since yesterday was the end of the QTR, half way point of the year, 'analysts' are saying the big sell offs are indicative of a Bear Market for the rest of the year.

What types of industries preform well in slow times? Consumer basics? Energy? Health Care? Large cap vs mid/small? I am speaking US specifically.

Just wondering. I started some personal retirement investing via Vanguard and their ETFs. Just wondering what types of companies I should be loading up on during the 2nd half of the year.

I am an eternal optimist and hoping for a mild, but still choppy summer. With some stability coming in Nov/Dec on some strong Holiday Sales making people feel good again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004

DancingMachine posted:

Yeah I'm not sure metals is a good idea with deflation looking more likely than inflation. Plus gold is already a huge bubble - it might inflate further but you're playing musical chairs at this point.

The macro long-term outlook looks really bleak right now. I am just about ready to bail out of most stuff but it's hard to swallow the losses (yes I know this is a psychological trap).

Personally I am almost ready to start asking Santa for a bubble burst in Gold, right around Nov/Dec. Just on the hopes that Glen Beck would some how get lynched.

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

That will help with the Dow tomorrow but I'm hesistant to get too long ahead of JPM's earnings Thursday morning...or should I get taking a bet?

JPM (and Goldman Sachs) have been swimming in profits. And people have been adding to their savings with regularity. I am not a trader, but I do own a financial ETF and I loaded up on it the last few weeks in June.

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004
instead of Queens NY, did you pick Normal, IL?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal,_Illinois

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004
Question for active traders, Does this happen often?

I have a brokerage account with Vanguard to manage my own retirement, not trading but investing. Anyway, I went to do my usual purchase every 2 weeks and for the first time I used a Limit order, just to do it. The market price and the ASK price from Vanguard were pretty far apart, so I set my buy limit at 81.00, Market price dropped to 80.94, but their ASK never dropped below 81.08.

Yet the trade was executed at the 81.00 price.

is this common or how it works? I figured the trade would not execute until the ASK was at 81.00 or below.

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Right. Because RIMM was at 45 and change, I bought calls at 47.5 and puts at 42.5. I'll close both positions on Friday.

Just a n00b question: With this position you ideally would want RIMM to BOMB right? if it dropped below 42.5 the further it dropped the more $ you would be making right?

Just trying to understand option plays. I read the Malcom Gladwell essay on the guy that wrote Black Swan. And I was captivated by the whole gambling theory they discussed.

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004

Hobologist posted:

Well, Cisco is sitting on top of $35 billion in stocks and bonds for who knows what purpose, and taking those off the top it has a price/free cash flow ratio of about 8 or 9, which is highly unusual for a company that big and well-known. They may be a little generous with the equity-based compensation, and of course they are cyclical, but their current valuation is a confusing anomaly to me.

Cisco is the internet as far as I am concerned. They just released some new generation switches and I would expect those margins to be higher in a year or 2. They have to sell them at a loss initially to get people to buy in.

With IPv6 being tested this summer and the Obama administration being interested in expanding/improving broad band to more Americans, how can this not be good for CSCO?

I wish I had bought Ford when it was in the single Digits, but did not have the cash. I bought a financial ETF this summer because I felt banks stocks were at rock bottom (citi). I am really looking hard at investing 1-5k in a long position at Cisco.

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004

Orgasmo posted:

The easiest way to extend broadband is over the air, and what with the impressive building penetration of the lower frequencies, I see wireless as being the primary technology of the National Broadband Plan.

I agree in that wireless will play a big part in the future, but I still see wireless as a Last Mile solution. The backbone is still fiber based.

And Cisco already makes some of the best Wireless LAN equipment. Its just more concentrated in the Commercial sector vs residential.

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004

Oxphocker posted:

I just put $1k in on CSCO @ 18.70... we'll see what it does..

Im in 3k @ 18.80 this morning. I will cash out half once it gets back above 20.

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004
I liked CSCO at 18.80 so I am crazy to not like that at 17.20 right? In for another $1000.

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004

Hobologist posted:

Don't feel bad. I thought Cisco was cheap at 18. (Of course, I didn't buy any). The hell of it all is that by the numbers, it is a good choice.

It will come back, just maybe not in a 3-6 month or even 9 month horizon.

I own 225 shares. All bought above the current price.

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004

Thoogsby posted:

What's the catalyst?

Laws of Physics? I don't think its a growth stock anymore. But from where I sit, Cisco is the backbone of the Internet. Yes, I am aware of Juniper and Brocade and some of the smaller fish, but when broadband comes to the rural areas of the world, it will be delivered by Cisco.

When IT infrastructure is updated, Cisco products are going in. I like that they are ditching their consumer distractions (Flip) I would like to see them do away with Linksys. When Video over IP becomes the standard of communication in homes across the world, Cisco will be on the route at some point.

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004

abagofcheetos posted:

So how about those gold shorts :smug:

What the common saying around here? The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent...right?

According to this article, the commodities bubble is gonna pop, and pop hard. http://seekingalpha.com/article/264304-dot-commodities

FTA: Mr. Bannister and his research cohorts were thinking clearly because they looked at long-term equity performance vs. long-term commodity investing performance and noticed that the 240-year trend clearly favors equities (see chart below). The longer the history, the more equities out-perform. This is despite occasional counter-secular trends like our current episode.

I wake up every morning hoping today will be the day that Gold pops. But I think we will need several weeks (months?) of good news on the economy/jobs front and a significant drop in Oil prices to kick it off.

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004
I think there will be a tipping point, but I have no idea of how or when to call it. Every time I see a 'Buy our Gold Coins' commercial (they are many more than just GoldLine now) I always think back to the year 2000/2001 time frame when those popular 'Learn how to trade Oil Futures' commercials ran. Once these 'industry secrets' get mass marketed, I feel as if its a pyramid scheme just looking for new blood.

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004

evilwaldo posted:

From the Stock Trader's Almanac here is something that should be posted on everyones wall.

If you are not reading the Stock Trader's Almanac you should pick up a copy.

So soon as the billionaires are forced to stop war profiteering the money pile has to move into stocks?

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004
Any sentiments about the Rajaratnam verdict? Could that be affecting traders emotions during the trading session today?

We can convict a darkie, but not anybody from GS in the Subprime/credit default swap fiasco?

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004

Orgasmo posted:

The "darkie" was the spider at the center of a large, complicated, illegal (in practice) "expert" network. Do you want to hazard a guess as to how many white people got caught up in this investigation here let me help you

If somebody had the time, couldn't there be a similar map to just about any successful Fund manager on Wall Street/shores of Connecticut?

Lots of 'darkie' names on that list as well. But if I recall it was a white friend or two that rolled on him that started/tipped the whole investigation.

My point really is, if the SEC/Dept of Justice wanted to, they could absolutely build and win cases against the scum bags that are rigging the game. It just seems that Law Enforcement is picking on the ones that were not smart enough to buy off the right people.

What's CSCO gonna do tomorrow? Had a nice little climb backup, I would love to see it get back above the 20.00 range within 12 months.

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004
Soros has liquidated close to 1 Billion dollar in Gold ETFs and mining stocks. THis was in the First Quarter...Can't wait for the rest of the world to catch up, gonna be a helluva ride.

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004

Baddog posted:

I'm long CSCO as well, but I don't feel all that good about it. Their management is all in turmoil after this mickey-mouse "council" structure they put in.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2009/08/05/cisco-ceo-john-chamberss-big-management-experiment/
http://www.cfoworld.co.uk/news/technology/3278089/cisco-to-streamline-operations-infrastructure/

They are rolling it back now, but sounds like they lost a lot of good people and momentum implementing it.

I am long CSCO as well. I have been since March. But it has lost almost 3$ since I bought my first position. Granted I have been scooping up more as it creates new lows. But just don't expect a fast turn around, this is a HUGE boat. But I was reading the other day that they may be looking to dump the WEBEX brand as well. Not sure what that will mean in the short term.

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004

MrBigglesworth posted:

What a spectacular bed making GBS threads. Some higher unemployment, the feds release oil from the reserve and the Dow nosedives 215 points.

Anybody have a good explanation as to why when the Price of Oil was sent down, Stocks followed? Is cheaper Oil not a good thing for Profits? Especially if companies were figuring on the more expensive price of Oil?

Another thing I have been noticing is that when Stocks are UP the price of Gold does not come down. I would figure they should be moving in opposite directions by now. But again this morning, futures were down and the price of Gold was down.

imabmf fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 23, 2011

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004
Was that really a 500 point upswing in the last 90 min? Whoa.

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004

bam thwok posted:

...I guess at this point a GE executive was having lunch at his desk when massive light-bulb (probably a compact florescent) went on in his head; viewing platforms were quickly becoming agnostic to the source of the content, meaning the products from their film division and television broadcasting division were increasingly being delivered through the exact same series of tubes to the exact same screens in customers' homes. So what would happen if they bought the tubes? At the end of 2008, market research said the largest ISP by subscriber count in the country was SBC, and Comcast was number two, as well as the largest cable company by over 10 million subscribers. By the end of 2009 the NBCU / Comcast merger was announced, and the media world shat its collective pants. ...

Not to nit pick, but I thought Comcast was the one that bought out NBCU from GE. Basically because the Executives at GE could not make NBCU profitable? They did not realize what a goldmine HULU or total Vertical Integration could be. Otherwise I agree completely and waiting for Disney to make purchase of SBC any day now.

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004
Finally in positive territory with CSCO.

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004
QE3....apparently from the FOMC meeting notes, Bernake says it's coming....So are stocks cheap with QE3 on the horizon? Over Bought/Sold?

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004
Unemployment dropping below 9%...is this one of those indicators that starts some positive momentum? Or I guess decreases the volatility?

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004

Jack posted:

Things are so great out there that the unemployment % went down because people just gave up looking....

But if someone was a devout Supply Side thinker, isn't the logical conclusion that technology is allowing us to do more with less? And there were too many employed people to begin with?

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm in my office and literally said "What? WHAT?!" when I heard the number on CNBC. :aaa:

was it made more dramatic by the numbers that the talking heads were guessing at ? It seems 150k was the consensus. So 250k and a 8.2% unemployment number were way above expectations right? Even Rick Santelli had nothing negative to say.

And what did one of the guests say? if we keep adding 200k a month , the Unemployment number will be 7.9 in November...Good luck spinning that republicans.

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t15.htm

There are 6 levels of unemployment according the BLS.

Personally I think labor pool was over supplied anyway. I could argue that we had an economy heavily tilted toward servicing debt. Many households had 2 or more adults working to service this debt. Now that we are seeing households reduce debt, there is not a need for as many working adults in every household. People can go back to school, or as in my case my wife got preggers, and was able to quit her job and focus full time on being a mom.

GO CSCO go, up 10% from 52 weeks ago.

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004

Inverse Icarus posted:

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2012/02/08/investors-seldom-reward-cisco-results/

quote:

Investors seldom reward Cisco results

Computer network equipment maker Cisco is expected to report gains in both sales and earnings for its second fiscal quarter on Wednesday.

The company’s expected to make 43 cents a share on revenue of $11.2 billion, according to a consensus survey by FactSet Research.

Cisco hasn’t missed earnings estimates in the past five years, according to data compiled by Bespoke Investment Group.

And analysts are looking for signs of strength and stability from the tech giant in its latest report.

But notwithstanding its historical earnings performance, Cisco’s shares don’t seem to enjoy market support following the company’s financial results, according to Bespoke.

The stock averages a 1.3% decline in the day after results are released.

.47 per share..whoop whoop.

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004

Inverse Icarus posted:

Dividends up 2 cents... To a total of 8 cents.

And we're already down after-hours.

if they keep upping the Dividend, I just might have to hold my position longer than I expected to. I know it's not much but I went in on them pretty big (for me) over the last year.

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004
KO announcing a stock split, Exxon increasing Dividends....good time to be long blue chips.

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004
The comment several pages back (Sell in May and Stay away) looks better and better. Oh well. I am selling a few shares from one of my top earners to buy more of one of my under performers. I guess it's a good a time as any to re-balance.

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004
If Greece or any country decides to pull out of the EU vs getting evicted that will just make the whole problem a lot worse.

But given the mentality of the Greek people, I totally see this happening. If I was a betting man (and of means) I would bet a large chunk of change on the Euro as a currency dissolving in the next 1-3 years. And I would think this would benefit the US Dollar.

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004
fading already? Anybody want to make a guess for end of Day? Just for Fun I say it settles below 45 but above 42.

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004

R.A. Dickey posted:

Coincidentally I think Morgan is probably one of the better candidates to actually be insolvent. Their European exposure is scary. If a disorderly exit/default actually does occur over there I wouldn't be betting on their chances.

I think i caught on CNBC today that Morgan Stanley is/has been exploring it's options...of selling itself.

Did not get the whole story because my 10 month old is just learning to stand up and I love getting to watch him try.

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004
YTD is VFH @ 12.13%

Overall return VPU @ 17.08

Value investor.

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004

I own stock in CSCO (long positions if you will). I work in IT and I consider my self a novice value investor.

What I don't understand about stock evaluation and the market; a company like Cisco is entrenched in the internet. They are making money had over fist, but because they come in a few cents lower than guidance or their CEO can't stop putting his foot in his own mouth during conference calls, the stock price takes a beating. These guys once had the biggest market cap of any American company on the stock market. Yes that was a bit of hyperbole, but in all honesty Cisco runs the internet. They are not at risk of folding over night, they have plenty of cash on hand (even if it is stashed outside of the US.)

As an IT consultant, I see lots of 'computer closets' cables rooms, Data Centers etc. Cisco is one common piece of equipment found through the industry. Even as visualization has caught on and expands in ability, it will never replace a physical switch. In a virtual cluster, you still need a way to connect all those computers together.

IMO, people that want the best, most reliable equipment will buy Cisco. People that want to save money will buy HP/DELL/3COM etc. And people that don't know nearly as much as they want to portray buy Juniper.

Cisco will comeback, once the US election is over, sometime in 2013 or 2014, demand will return, confidence in markets will return (if banks can just stop trying to invent ways of screwing people out their money). The EU will decide that it was fun while it lasted, but it's time to admit defeat. And people will demand metro wide wifi, Cisco will be there.

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004
CSCO!!! what. about time for some good news. And the increase in dividend was a nice gift as well. http://money.cnn.com/2012/08/15/technology/cisco-earnings/

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004
Tax Question:
I have an IRA account setup with a broker. At the time the IRA was setup, the broker created 2 accounts. One is called a Sweep account from my understanding. I can add funds to my IRA account via bank transfer, and then I can buy or sell. When I sell stocks/etfs they go into my IRA account and I buy with these same funds. How come if I sell at a profit, I never get taxed? I don't understand the particulars of it. I have had this account for over 2 years, and every year I check for Tax Documents and the site always says, you don't have any taxable income. Is it because I never take money of out the IRA account?

I was just telling this to a family member of mine who is somewhat knowledgeable about finances etc. and she was confused as to why i never get taxed on my profits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004

nebby posted:

Yeah a 8% swing over two days based upon what?

This has to be the answer right? http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b4171642-7136-11e2-9d5c-00144feab49a.html#axzz2KF5pvtww
Einhorn's Greenlight is trying for force Apple to do something their cash.