Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Gamesguy posted:

I know a guy whos been holding ATVI since last july and it's still below the price he paid for it.

Stock is dead tbh.

Hey that sounds like me. I don't think any of the major game companies will return to close what they were until the economy is completely back on its feet and unemployment has been cut in half. Even then they'll have to win investors' favor back from smaller companies focusing on "social" games. I plan on just letting what I've invested languish there until that day comes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Lemonus posted:

What do people think about APP / American Apparel- Has anyone had a look at it?

I got in and out with APP between 1.40 and 1.80. The quality of their T-shirts was something I noticed after buying from enclothe, but there just seems to be too much else going on with them to make me want to keep my money there and I'm not as learned in their storefront business as I probably should be. Also, I don't really see many other people noticing them that much. I wouldn't be surprised to see APP fade into obscurity and close down. Then again, consumer spending could shoot through the roof with Back To School season (unless politicians are scaring the poo poo out of people with the threat of an imminent default on our debt)!

Cheesemaster200 posted:

The only thing Facebook has is a first mover advantage and a well known brand name. While I understand the hype around them, I just don't see the value.

Maybe once Facebook is on your toothbrush, toilet seat, and favorite cup it will.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Turkeybone posted:

Just realize that price going up isn't the only way to get rid of oversoldness -- the stock could just chill at 12.x for a few weeks/months. Take a look on the weekly chart.. ATVI isn't really a mover (except until recently).

Game stocks might see a bump when Zynga goes public, but otherwise ATVI doing nothing (price wise) until yet another of its few franchises collapses is my biggest worry. Since they don't seem to be pursuing Social/Smartphone games the same way EA is, all's they can do is milk their major franchises (which will eventually kill those franchises) and lean on Blizzard.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

owDAWG posted:

Volatility is up and will continue to go up even further.

Is there a way to invest in volatility? I mean, if they have a "fear" index, why not a volatility index?

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Le Saboteur posted:

I've started looking more at software companies that are active in info sec, securing endpoints and what not which led me towards Absolute Software which also seems like an industry ready for a lot growth as more and more offices are permanently going remote now and.

I've been looking at this since last year as well. It only came to my intention because of companies I work for using the services. I've used Microsoft and Okta for Identity Management (and now I realize I've conflated endpoint security with identity management). Didn't see too much to invest there as far as public companies go and I already had Microsoft.

I don't have much direct experience with info sec but I'd love to learn more or just get opinions from people who actually interact with it more.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Rad Russian posted:

VMware now owns Carbon Black (used to be CBLK), CRWD is available to trade, SentinelOne announced IPO for later this year. These are the top 3 products imo.

Okta is in identity space. Their only true competition (outside of using Google, Microsoft, or AWS directly) is JumpCloud which I can't imagine IPOing for another couple of years. Although JumpCloud is being floated as a SPAC target on some lists.

Thanks! I forgot about AWS. I have a single share of Amazon, but I'd rather get out since I see unionization as inevitable and that'll make investors flee (at least short term).

Bummer about SentinelOne, I was hoping it would go the SPAC route.

From what everyone I talk to says, WFH won't be going away completely even post-COVID (if there is such a thing). I guess their main future lies in the arms race against hackers/state actors and being adopted by more smaller companies? Or just growing along with their current client base?

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Pillowpants posted:

Do you all have any green/alt energy companies you are invested in?

I got in on Siemens Gamesa (GCTAF) last September. Seems to be doing pretty well. I think it mostly makes windmills.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Red posted:

I posted this on Saturday, and it's up ~9% today - did anyone buy in?

Sure did, later in the day though, so missed most of the bump. Ah well, still up a bit. Hope there's gold in them thar hills.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Let me know which construction company gets the contract to widen the Suez and which company owns Dick Boat.

CAT seems like a pretty decent bet as far as construction goes, especially with $4t infrastructure spending coming up. I'd buy in but I don't want to deplete my cash more than it is and I"m skittish about buying after it's already had so many big pops lately and considering the general market the last two months, but it just keep going.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

dougdrums posted:

CAT, the one company to literally be raided by the FBI for their books.

Hey now, they haven't had a bad return since then.

Speaking of cooked books, I remember those rumors about GE being on the verge of imploding a while back, but nothing seems to have come of that. Would it actually be a safe long term bet?

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Cacafuego posted:

Would you expect to see them pick up a bunch today and see the tickers of each increase? Because my SPCE holdings are still down today and it's on the list.

Lockheed had a good day, but they've been trending up for a few weeks now.
I've been interested in buying into them (as low risk long term bet with nice dividends) and SPCE (potentially more short term gamble) for a while, but leaning away from SPCE lately. I can see them doing really well once they got the space tourism up and running, but then I just keep thinking how they're toast if a single rocket blows up.

cgeq fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 29, 2021

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

pmchem posted:

every now and then, it is good to be reminded just how much the market is NOT forward looking.

Biden's infrastructure speech date, spend amount, and rough contents were known weeks in advance; yet "green energy" meme stocks/spacs/ETFs are highly green yesterday/today anyway. ridiculous, lol.

Hey, it's not real until all the details are out! I wouldn't be surprised if there's another jump after it actually passes. I bought in Enphase the night before. That got a nice jump. I'm just glad the narrative wasn't, "Market was disappointed when Biden only announced $2t instead of $4t. Stocks tumble."

Now I'm stressing about holding it or cashing out, especially with all the recent insider selling.

cgeq fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 1, 2021

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

pmchem posted:

https://twitter.com/Valuations_/status/1378123321393377280

Really starting to think the dystopian etf would be a moneymaker

Just ignore Palantir and then sure!

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

It's going up no news of shortages affecting Apple as well?

All the news I saw regarding chip shortages always said Apple would be the last company affected by shortages since their the largest customer. Everyone else will have to wait behind them.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Not a Children posted:

All assets will have valuations based on their anticipated revenues over a human lifetime, or more

We will never have valuations based on sane timeframes again

Hey now, someone finally said something that makes a bit of sense to me. When you already have enough money to cover the next few lifetimes why not invest the rest of your disposable income beyond that? Is that the thought process by the rich? Technically the logic seems sane enough.

Seems like decreasing the wealth gap is the only solution.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

pmchem posted:

Schwab's new international dividend ETF has been trading for 1 day now. Ticker: $SCHY
https://www.schwabassetmanagement.com/products/schy

I like a lot of their holdings and even had a few individually. I'm not sure about their tobacco holdings, though...

Still, I bought in. Funny enough, though, on TD Ameritrade, you can't reinvest the dividends. That seems not ideal for a long term dividend investment.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

ARTPUP posted:

Well, Photon just got a buyout offer of $3.60/share from MKS Instruments. (239% return for me so far) Too low IMO, should be more like $4 at least. Hopefully we'll see a bidding war. What a crazy market we're in, people walk past cash lying on the ground and rush to grab gold painted turds.

Jesus Christ, so that's what happened to my MKSI.

So back in October/November last year I was looking at laser companies and ended up putting money into IIVI, MKSI, and LITE. It was a great ride up until February or so and since then it's just been bleeding (as have most of my tech investments). I got out of LITE in March since it was the worst performer of the 3, and plan to hold IIVI and MKSI long, but I'm wary about investing more money on other companies in the same industry. But now, MKSI and IIVI are just buying up smaller companies that shoot up in value while they lose value.

What are you supposed to do? Get out of the larger companies and invest in potential buyout targets?

Just keep holding long until the value manifests, I guess.

Well, that's my laser story.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

pmchem posted:

$STX, $WDC, $MU... all straight up today due to nerds buying out many-TB drives because of chia coin:

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/chia-network/

(edit: seagate benefits the most)

Hahah! Now I can finally make up for missing the boat on Nvidia with my WDC!

Funny how when I check out the little news feed for TDAmeritrade it has absolutely nothing on this. At least I have the stocks thread :unsmith:

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004
CRWD, TEAM, and BYND are all green again after being red for so long. Really thinking of bailing on 'em.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Uranium 235 posted:

TRCH lol... so many people were buying this at $10 the last two days. at $5 now

So you're saying buy the dip

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004
So I definitely get the apprehension towards individual Chinese companies, but what about a Chinese index fund? Is there anything comparable to SPY and such?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Splinter posted:

I have a friend who was starting to pull out of the market in like 2014 or 2015 because it was a 'bubble', 'overvalued', 'due for major correction' etc. So yeah, timing the market is the way to go.

Wow, was this me? Good thing I went all in into the market just before the COVID crash.