Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
I've been trading stock more actively over the past few months, within the week or day. It isn't a bad time for it ... I have a question along the same lines:

To the independent trader, is the benefit of stock options over the underlying stock simply just the 'option' to throw away the losers while still reaping some profit from the winners? While it limits profit vs. holding the underlying stock, you're not totally on the hook for when it tanks. Do I have the idea? My business textbook just says they control volatility and employees love love love bullshit equity which is not what I'm looking for ...

Seems like a lot of effort for not as much money, as long as you don't trade entirely on impulse. But I guess I might think differently if I was using my retirement account and not my "for fun" account.

Also, I've been trading through TDA, but the commissions are loving borderline criminal at the almost-pattern-daytrader level I've been trading at. Like, just thinking about how much it is compounding is terrible; It is taking over half of my profit at this point.

I'm with TDA mainly because their HQ is local, and I can pull quote data from their thinkorswim trading terminal into C# programs using the RTD server it has. I can also pull Level II depth and trades out of memory but I am certain that it seriously violates some agreement so I haven't pursued it much further.

There is also this thing, TCP-Orders?:

(It gives the banner "220 dougdrums@tda @ thinkorswim [build 1902.8]" but it is obviously not an FTP server ... if anyone knows what protocol it is, or if I can use it to enter orders, let me know!)

I've heard positive things about Interactive Brokers, and I like their pricing structure. I was going to try to trade up to their $10k minimum, but I'll probably just throw a couple more beans into this account instead. Any words?

Honestly I think I just enjoy trading because it adds an exciting bit of risk to computering. I mean, what sort of credentials does one need to do this for a living:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

vaginal facsimile posted:

I think short term speculators choose options over the underlying stock because it's easier to control risk, especially if you're leveraging.

Oh christ this makes complete sense, hence the thread title.

I've been waiting patiently for the eager optimism to be beaten out of me, I guess it hasn't yet.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

coffeetable posted:

That aside, trading options as an amateur is dumb as poo poo.

• You buy options to manage the risk of giant, concentrated bets. But you should never be making bets like that, jesus loving christ. Unless you're personally going along to board meetings, your alpha is not that strong. Instead, diversify your portfolio - then the risk management comes for free!
I mean, this is how I feel as an amateur :v:. I'm trading with pennies, if I was a professional fund manager or something handling $250m of other people's money then it starts making sense. Pure speculation of options would clearly lose me just on commission. I believe I have a handle on how options work, functionally, but I have talked to people with accounts that aren't much larger that trade options all the time, which made absolutely no sense to me. The descriptions of options as insurance is clear, but the best way to manage that sort of risk is to just not throw down literally all of my money times two. Most of my money is already in a (relatively risky) managed fund; My goal really is to just see if I can beat it over 6mo, and if so, I'll throw a few more bucks in.

I think that's the sort of thing you need to do full time to be useful. Or maybe I'm just slow to understand it ...

coffeetable posted:

• You sell options to collect the 'insurance premium'. This will make you a steady stream of cash for years on end, before losing most of it in one tragic day. More, that tragic day will likely come at the worst possible time.
  • You can also buy and sell large numbers of distinct options simultaneously as a way to make money off mispricings. No-one itt has shown the math or software talent that's needed for this.
  • That last statement is quite an assumption ;) But at the same time I'm not sure what you mean by mispricing. I'll take a peek at options prices for deciding when/what to trade, but the only one that I've seen to be a bit out of whack sometimes is OCLR over the past two weeks. Looking now though, I couldn't tell you why I thought that, I should probably write these things down ...

coffeetable posted:

Of course, it also removes the rising tide effect, where even the shittiest trader will still make money because in general the stock market goes up.
    This is one thing I find pretty amazing about trading. I'm a little ashamed to admit it in this thread, but I used to play poker with a poker/gambling club when I lived somewhere that had good (not stale) rooms. I sort of compete with a buddy of mine that I used to play poker with when we both lived there, as we both took to trading when we realized how much of a grind poker would be where we are now. (I hate playing online, especially.) I've come to realize that if I play every trade somewhat conservatively I'm generally gonna make some bux, unlike with poker. It's just a matter of pecking away at opportunity costs at this point.

He plays poker super-fuckin-aggro and his poker books would probably make a daytrader faint. He's all about wild speculative options trading. I'm sure it's not correct to say he "parlays" options, but that's how I understand it. It just made no sense to me why someone more aggressive than me would trade options. I'm the most conservative poker player I know, until I get hosed with and then I'll pull out some stops.

I'm not really able to trade profitably intraday, due to the amount of cash, but even if I did, I think I'd still plan out most every trade, and only trade the ones that are doing somewhat what I expected that day. Right now I plan about a week ahead and trade based on how I see things reacting that day. Also computers do a lot of it for me, I enjoy trying to find that sweet spot between my computer or noggin, where making good judgements is the most efficient. Me and him (my friend, not the computer...) are even on profit so far.

When playing poker, I generally tried to play by the philosophy of, "always make the easy decision.", viz being sensible about what you know, don't know, and to not put yourself in a position of outright gambling. I think I read it in a book or something. (Of course the corollary would be to force hard decisions, which certainly does not apply to the stock market. Took me a moment to learn.) In general, making plans and trying to follow them is a good idea, and will always (hopefully be) profitable. Everyone, especially in the states, thinks they know better than everyone else (as I write this ...), and money only makes things worse in that regard. At the same time, nobody ever knows for certain what they want. Now, I've read that there are speculators that trade entirely on instinct, and I have to assume "instinct" means "well learned experience".

I've had one or two acquaintances over the years -- even at the time I just held things long for months or years -- tell me that the markets are rigged and I will get eaten alive by the jewish lizard mafia or whatever (I'm almost serious ...). I ask if I can look at their trades and they are like, just doing damage nonstop. They hear ABC is going up up up or that those pesky chinamen are gonna call in all the DEBT or that the ~~blockchain~~ is the jesus christ of currency and is somehow directly tied to the value of both NVDA, and a pyramid scheme; And that's how they make their trades: buy slow sell low. Most of the critics find poker to be a more noble activity, somehow.

They cannot fathom that people who are, you know, actually personally invested in the industries that they trade on might be able to react faster, know what they're paying for, and know when poo poo's out of line, even day-to-day. Otherwise yeah leave it in a fund if you're gonna be cranky about it.

It's really simple poo poo like: Intel's pipeline seems to be bubbling (heh), and I doubt AMD is just gonna go up on stage (as scheduled) and perform the aristocrats. Are they just going to unveil a rock hooked up to a car battery? Maybe. But somehow the show they put on is a complete shock to the people covering it online. Whoever bought it far after the 16th might as well be wearing a training collar.

Another one that worked out: BlackBerry's sales have been sinking at nearly constant rate for like the past two years. They seem to be flailing and trying to find a spot as a holdings/R&D business, which they apparently have not much to show for. The only reason it got set at 3c was because of Qualcomm. Other than "earnings aren't terrible rn" I have no idea why it was trading at $10 and I venture nobody else did either. I'm guessing the answer to that one is also "Qualcomm" and trimming margins.

I guess I'm on the hook for a forward looking example: I plan on repeatedly shorting SGBX (SG Blocks) the week after next depending on its numbers this next week. They did an IPO earlier this week ($5x1.5m) and all of their numbers are bad. They filed bankruptcy maybe two years ago (iirc), after being bought, among other negative things. And I can't for the life of me figure out the benefit of their business. They turn shipping containers into structures, but for what you get (or risk), Joe the Local Contractor could do quite reasonably at probably a better margin. If they were recycling the crates or something that'd be pretty cool but they don't mention anything like that, or even about where they source the things! They sold maybe $2-$3m of the $7.5m they're raising so far, it seemed to actually open at $4.75 too, I'm really not sure how that compares or what the consequences are in that case. But they explicitly stated that they're using it to pay off debt, almost dollar-by-dollar, and their balance sheet would seem to confirm that.

What I'm trying to do is more about riding the wave, and less about thinking I have any control in the matter, besides where to put my money.

tldr; I have no idea how people can consistently lose money in the stock market without being downright dense.

Leperflesh posted:

This is a fairly minor thing but for the sake of clear communciations: "stock options" usually refers to the conditional grants of company stock offered to employees of a company as part of their compensation package.

"Options" on its own is the usual term for what you were talking about, in part because options are available on more than just stocks.
    I appreciate it. Most of my book-learning is from business courses as far as finance goes, the less I sound like a doofus, probably the better!

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005

vaginal facsimile posted:

What's everyone's worst performing shares in their portfolio? Right now it's target for me

ADI cause I'm so full of poo poo :v:

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005
    I always thought this would be the greatest benefit of owning a hybrid or electric car:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt-0RldHIPU&t=300s
    (try not to sing, I dare you ;))

This makes some sense in Japan where they're prone to these sorts of things ... also I guess for whatever weird energy stuff you've got going on in California. I would love to own an electric vehicle if I still lived in the Ozarks, where the electric system is poo poo and it is very hilly. I used my vehicle a couple times as a generator when I lived there.

Thing is, Tesla is clearly built around lifestyle branding. Without personally knowing any useful details about how Tesla operates: I'd reckon manufacturing long-range EV's (versus Nissan's LEAF) is still expensive as poo poo due to the cost of batteries, so Tesla's general plan is to make some swanky-rear end cars that could accommodate the price, adding some good value to a pile of batteries on wheels.

$35k base is still too steep for the Model 3 imo. Tesla is selling used Model S's on their website for under $50k. I think Tesla could make deals with governments, forcing the sort of public safety narrative that this video suggests, maybe encourage even more consumer tax breaks and churn out a family car that doesn't rely on the lifestyle aspect.

That is another point about cars in general versus electronic devices: an iPhone is a very personal possession, which is why households might have 3+ Apple devices, at least one per person. A car is not necessarily a private item, the lifestyle aspect is no longer worth $5 to $10k, unless you're having a mid-life crisis. (And the interior of the Model 3 does not cover mid-life crises, whereas the Models X and S do.)

Edit: Since I mentioned the LEAF https://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/leaf/

Base model is $30k at about half the range of a Model 3...

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 6, 2017

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

The Leaf works fine. The federal/state/local rebates on those are nuts, my friend just got a shiny new one for $12k after all taxes and registration fees. At that point it's like why not.

I like the Leaf. I think it's adorable. Kind of in the same way pugs are adorable, but adorable nonetheless. My neighbor has an old robin-egg blue one and it looks really fun to drive around town in.

Also I would have to assume that those sorts of rebates would apply to the Model 3? I haven't been car shopping in awhile ...

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 6, 2017

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005
    I don't like burritos but they like me.

I was gonna buy some HAL but my power happened to go out before the market closed so :shrug:

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 21, 2017

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005

dougdrums posted:

I was gonna buy some HAL but my power happened to go out before the market closed so :shrug:

Thanks mother nature, I owe you one ...

I really have no idea how to trade around these earnings though. HAL looked like the only discount that could move based on their past filings, but I was off. MSFT confuses me as well but I didn't plan on putting money on it anyways (I think I missed the in at < $70 about two weeks ago iirc).

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005
    Yeah but Big 8's balance sheet is all goodwill.

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

*Take with huge grain of salt

Yeah the endnotes are here at the footer: http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/amd-epyc-datacenter-2017jun20.aspx

Or ctrl-f ".575".

Not to turn this into processor chat but ...

http://agner.org/optimize/microarchitecture.pdf has been updated to include Zen, and is rather objective. Section 25 has a summary of functional differences if you're into nerd poo poo.

I'll probably buy at least one, which is what they're going for I suppose. I dunno about $17 but it's looking up either way as far as server chips go.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 25, 2017

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005

fougera posted:

I'm curious if AMD bulls here have any justification for where the stock is currently trading.

To get earnings anywhere close to where the stock is now, you are basically assuming Intel rolls over for the next three years. I get no one cares about anything but revenues right now, but even that feels like its is about to come to a head when even management is telling you they can't build the server business that quickly.

It looks like a pretty obvious short to me, and judging by the high retail ownership it seems even more obvious.

Risky Bisquick posted:

The real meat and potatoes is going to be Epyc, and Threadripper. These chips are just multiple Zen dies on an interposer "glued" together as Intel described it. That hardly matters, what does is the margin they will sell for. They will be much higher margin wise in comparison to the consumer chips. Both of these products look very strong on their own merits before you even consider the value for their price.

Rambus reports before AMD, another data point to determine AMD compute earnings

This is it mostly. I sold half of my AMD at +$15 and the other half hit a stop ... somewhere ... I'll buy again somewhere at $13.5 maybe???

Also, AMD has separated itself from manufacturing their designs, versus Intel. The epyc multiple-die thing is easy to criticize, but it allows AMD edge out Intel on yield. By how much? I dunno.

Even though this market was almost dead to them, they sold a fair quantity of ryzens and the 3 model will be an excellent value. Bulldozer/Piledriver was a bit of a bust, which is the only thing that worries me, seems like a bit of deja-vu, but the new architecture is very good technologically.

They aren't going to beat Intel's crazy single threaded SIMD performance, so this is pretty much their game. In a far off deeply speculative future, I see Intel chipsets going into science and analytics, and AMD picking up the consumer service roles.

I've used a machine with both Intel's Xeon Phi cards and Nvidia Titans. It is literally unbelievable. AMD was beat here by Intel and Nvidia like a year or two ago. I'm not thrilled about Vega, but maybe I'm biased.

Word on the street is that AMD engineers are more content than Intel's.

Lisa Su was almost embarrassed to admit that cryptocurrency was a thing that exists, and I think Nvidia has taken the bait a little.

Su is also quite the show-woman, which doesn't hurt in the short term.

Overall I'm generally long between INTC and AMD and I'll probably be shorting NVDA after earnings.

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005
    There was a single bid side trade of about 800,000 shares of NVDA at market close. What's up with that? Is it unusual?

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005
    I'm not sure the last time I've seen one of those TA plugs that was written by a human.

I can't count to three and hit a stop-loss ... doh. Made a few bucks trading XIV/UVXY yesterday, just kinda wishing I held off on trading one of em ... I'll probably wait out my time-out instead of doubling up.

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005

you gotta go exponential bro (and sis) e: gbtc since apr if that wasn't clear...

ee: also what the gently caress is wrong with imgur, why is this poo poo huge??? eee: it's the browser zoom ...

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 1, 2017

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005
    The key (I think) is to plan your trades out, so even if you lose money, it's not a mistake (or at least you learn something).

Granted I have a day trade equity margin call hangin' out on my account right now, but it's because I didn't count stops that were spit out by my fancy trading program.

Like I hate to draw comparisons between poker and trading, since it's really not the same, but: I've lost a fair amount holding AA, KK, even when I play it "by the book" so to speak. You can only draw the odds out so far. If it were poker I could turn it into a psychological advantage, but with trading you just gotta know that you can cover it statistically.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 2, 2017

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005
    I'm reading the GBTC prospectus out of curiosity/boredom, and this caught my eye:

quote:

2 The Trust will not generate any income and regularly sells/distributes bitcoin to pay for its ongoing expenses. Therefore, the amount of bitcoin represented by each share will gradually decline over time.

Is there any way to even account for this via public info?

e: I guess they post it on their website, https://grayscale.co/bitcoin-investment-trust/#market-performance , but there's really no way to hold them accountable for it.

vvv Yeah, I have a hard time not calling bitcoin a pyramid scheme, then again herbalife is publicly traded, so gently caress it. But that fund seems like a scam, somewhat.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 2, 2017

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005
    I guess that does make sense if they expect the price to go up with difficulty or whatever. They give an example of using the fund to perform arbitrage in there, but how on earth one might go from cash -> broker -> GBTC -> broker -> cash -> btc exchange -> btc -> btc exchange -> cash ... well there's probably a lot of premiums and spread in between.

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005
    This is dangerously close to cryptocurrency chat but; I met someone, a recent grad, who make a fuckton off of etherum. After school he decided to move to Bangladesh to start a company -- god only knows what they do.

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005
    Exponential bollinger by ticks is easy mode for your charts, imo.

Glad I'm long on vacation tickets though.

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Lattice semiconductors anyone?

I held it before because I've used their CPLD devices with good effect, you can really crank the power low on 'em. I have no idea how their business is run and I wanted to bet on some other tickers, so I sold it before earnings. Haven't looked at it since, but now that you mention it that seemed to work out for me ...

e: I see this is what you're talking about Lattice to Seek Trump’s Approval for Chinese-Backed Buyout (NYT)

Also I had no idea the NYT had articles in Chinese.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 13, 2017

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005
    Lol yes it is awful. It has already started to blow up imo. Even with all that debt, Americans are dumb as gently caress relative to their international counterparts, which is why companies would rather deal with foreign workers in like every case.

Also I imagine student debt wouldn't be very profitable vs other debt since you can drag the term out forever by deferring them. I know people in their 50's with masters degrees that probably haven't paid a cent of it.

I put a little money into a robinhood account, since I'm getting annoyed by commissions. Pattern daytrading rules don't apply to cash accounts right? That seems kind of ridiculous with commission-free trades.

Edit: I guess they make a point of it:

https://support.robinhood.com/hc/en-us/articles/217072366-Pattern-Day-Trading posted:

Exceeding the three day trade limit will restrict your account from placing further day trades for 90 days. This limit applies to margin accounts (Robinhood Instant and Robinhood Gold), but not to cash accounts.
    The bolding is theirs.

Also I guess the "instant" account is actually a margin account that covers unsettled deposits, and you have to request a cash account.

In fact when I read more about how the settlement works for cash it makes total sense. On a normal account you would be borrowing money to trade unsettled funds, but iirc TD Ameritrade will settle sales instantly on what they call cash accounts.

Man all the news on settlement timeframe changes and this just now occurs to me, maybe I should know what I'm doing before calling my fellow countrymen idiots, haha.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 17, 2017

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005

dougdrums posted:

In fact when I read more about how the settlement works for cash it makes total sense. On a normal account you would be borrowing money to trade unsettled funds, but iirc TD Ameritrade will settle sales instantly on what they call cash accounts.

Ya'll are probably aware of this, but it turns out this is called 'freeriding' and is illegal, but I guess I never did it enough on my cash account for it to be considered freeriding. I found this, and the link to the cash account examples is pretty helpful: https://www.sec.gov/fast-answers/answersfreeridehtm.html

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005
    That makes sense, I think I knew that from working with the FCC (they are just granted the power by law to enforce regulations), not sure why I said illegal. I hosed up my TD Ameritrade margin account by mixing machine trading with speculative bets and not paying attention. (By hosed up I mean three daytrades.) I was thinking that if I did machine trading commission free in a cash account and just made sure no more than half the cash was sold each day, that it might be more effective. Then I would just use my TD Ameritrade account for weekly gambling.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 17, 2017

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005
    How does one go about forming a weed s corp. and getting it listed with the feds and all? I know when I open a business account at the bank in my state they ask like 5 questions; like, are you really really sure this ain't weed money? Might just be me wearing a hoodie and jeans to open bank accounts though. Do they pay federal taxes?

E: Just micdropped some SH. Nice surprise while I was eating lunch.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 18, 2017

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005
    I have some little insights from the shady weed people I know.

An acquaintance of mine went to work on a marijuana farm in Washington after college. I think they moved back after like three months with nothing but complaints. Apparently their co-workers were pretty much scum, and management would always gently caress them over on pay and hours because, well, who are they gonna call?

A private equity dude I know has talked to some of the larger logistical type of firms. As I understand they keep the money in guarded warehouses -- which is pretty much what they did before ... but there is the appeal of not paying tax on it.

I'm pretty sure the cops aren't gonna beat my door in for admitting that I helped my buds in high school grow marijuana. I felt like they got hosed by society from the get-go so I never felt too bad about it, and it was decriminalized where I lived. I'd like to invest in weeds 'cause I think I have a good idea how a :420: joint is supposed to operate, but nearly all of them seem shady as gently caress.

The first company that automates processing on the east coast is gonna get all the money. As I more or less heard on TV once, "you don't have to push anything, people love drugs".

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005
    It seems like the machines they use to harvest hops would work, but I haven't had two and two to put together and try it out with.

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005
    I have HTLD stock in my old man account because I met some of the (relatively new at the time) executives one day and I thought their 'business philosophy' was unique but modest and sensible. They cut their operations down to get some cash for an efficient new fleet of trucks, and this summer they bought another carrier cash to go from regional to national. I think they're starting to get out of the growing pains now. They had a good day today, and got 'upgraded' a few times in the past few days. It's really loving funny to read, "But earnings have been halved for a couple years, how are they growing???"

It's in the 10K bro.

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005
    I would sort of like to see a system where education was free or mostly free but in-demand fields are given rolling subsidies, or corporate grants if need be. I think people who like working in a certain field, including the humanities, are more effective than someone who was shoehorned into it. Honestly, demand for media management, content creation, and the arts is way underestimated imo. I'm partially including things like culinary arts and hospitality here too. I'm sort of assuming that's what is meant by "follow your dreams". These fields seem less speculative to me than STEM. I say this as someone who has spent most of my civil life doing STEMmy stuff. (E: it occurs to me that marine biologist falls under STEM ...)

I'm sure it's been said historically, but it's tough to think of a regular first-world product that could be made obviously better or more valuable by more capital or labor investment. From what I've seen around me, people are more than willing to give up the hard work to machines, including admin and management work, but far less willing to admit it. Stories, art, and in some cases sports are the only products that can be made out of thin air and still be valuable. I mean that is the very definition of art. Continuing automation will only make the humanities more valuable.

The appeal of platforms like Twitch and YouTube is based on this premise. These places are a never ending supply of new stories. Sports have rich historical narratives that continuously build on themselves. "Fake news" are tabloids but on the internet. And there's always porn!

People blow through $150K to follow their dreams of having a cushy valley job too. I know one or two people that would probably make bank producing films or ads but they're miserable; getting paid to play office politics instead, which produces nothing of value.

tldr; people should do what they want, but not expect the support to do whatever they want.

Also nobody in the student loan industry would be cool with that, and they have far more power than I do.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 18, 2017

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005

AngryBooch posted:

What small "skills gap" exists is entirely self-inflicted and I would purport that the skills gap in the US doesn't actually exist until employers actually raise their wages and find themselves unable to fill a position. It's completely fabricated.

I have a bad habit of working for start-ups and I'm always amazed when I'm either the most skilled/experienced person there and didn't expect it, or they just straight up never bothered to find someone with actual life experience doing the thing they're trying to do. Like yeah people who know how to do valuable things are expensive, no poo poo, that's why companies that make money hire them.

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Well yes, I wasn't trying to attack the humanities; far from it. I got an engineering degree from a liberal arts school and had to take a boatload of core humanities credits. I will always argue that it helps me immensely because I can understand technical content, but more importantly communicate it effectively. A lot of straight STEM folks lack that second part.
    I think we generally agree, and I might've made your point, haha. I've heard a lot of arguments from STEM folks about the "bullshit" humanities classes they have to take, so I just happened to land on it. Personally I don't think I'm very good at communicating in a corporate environment, but I have the ability to plan things to the T. I was in the military and I tend to be a bit too, uh, straightforward with people. But I can make a plan and carry it out effectively instead of the perpetual agile hell everyone seems stuck in. Having to repeatedly and explicitly explain things like, "don't look down the barrel" and, "don't take out a used car loan for double the purchase price" helped a lot. Frankly if I'd just gone to school and not had gone into the military I would be socially defective instead of socially inept.

Once I worked in a place where the only form of communication was post-it notes and github comments. If I'd go and talk to someone in person, they'd just stare at me, or ask me to send an email until I left them alone. I quit after someone put words in my mouth and then criticized me for some poo poo I didn't state. They closed shop after not delivering on a contract with a local city.

My uni required two years of a second language for a liberal arts degree, which was more beneficial than even my department courses.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

My "follow your dreams degree" comment was more aimed at people who get a degrees with little or no thought on what they will use it for and how much that career will pay. There is a difference between finding and doing what you like, and dropping a ton of money on some idealized degree that will likely result in you pouring coffee for a living. Also, we can't forget the moral hazard with this stuff either. As we all know, there are people chose the easiest degree path possible in partyology and then flood a market that has no room to accept them.

Incentivizing and disincentivizing different fields through targeted loan subsidies could help take some of the idiot 18-year old out of the equation.

Not my experience in my field; even for entry level. However it may be different other places.
    Personally I had no idea what I wanted to do when I was 18, and there was nobody around to really help me figure it out. I still have no idea, for that matter. I just figured taking out loans for school is what everyone did after high school, and I was pretty good with computers so I did that. Dynamic subsidies would cut out the middle man (I wish) and all of the other needlessly burdensome bullshit poor kids gotta go through. I think you'd be better able to line it up with grants for trade apprenticeships and other vocational training, which would give high school grads a little better perspective on what opportunities are available for them.

I'd reckon that 1/4th of STEM students cheat their way through college anyways, based on talking to some recent grads ...

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005
    Nah, stemlords just have no perspective outside their own lives. It's hard to make good art that way, I would think. I minored in philosophy and it taught me how to write better and how math actually works, even if I do get made fun of for it sometimes.

I bitched more about calc since everything I loving do is discrete now fuuuuuuck. I didn't go to engineering college, it's not like I'm going to go design devices at ADI ...

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 19, 2017

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005
    What truly bothers me is when I walk into a place and the only women working there is a (well-educated) receptionist. Nope, there are no good women engineers or developers ... also I totally want to work with only like a dozen dudes ...

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

They're headquartered where we live, and they always look busy.

oh poo poo, now I really gotta move

I'm a computer touching engineer-by-title that didn't go to engineering school but sometimes I work with electronics. I'd reckon civil engineers and mechanical engineers spend slightly less time by themselves in front of a computer screen, which helps.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 19, 2017

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005

paternity suitor posted:

Actual engineer. I'm an RF engineer who used to design payload equipment for satellites, and now I design MMICs for radars. I feel you on the job title creep though. I have computer janitor friends who call themselves engineers and it grinds my gears.

I'm certain that "engineer" is a restricted term nearly everywhere English is spoken, which I why I'm careful to never introduce myself as an engineer.

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005
    Depends, are they designing the train or operating it?

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005
    Ahaha there it is ....! S&P just ate 100 points.

Is there and IRC channel associated with this thread? I feel like I have the habit of being chatty here.

E: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-20/fed-asset-shrinking-to-start-next-month-rate-hike-seen-in-17

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 20, 2017

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005
    I was doing shopping yesterday and everything looked expensive I just bought some short ETFs. I think that dip was just impatience re the fed but it was delightful to see ... it's balanced out now anyways.

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005
    Previous price, what I'm willing to pay, stats and technical indicators, a whim. If I knew what to compare it to I would've bought that, haha.

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005

paternity suitor posted:

I'd compare it to the alternatives (mostly risk free return).

I split it between SH and DOG, which I wouldn't ever hold more then a couple days. That's about the safest short position I could take in the short term, I think. I'm pretty happy staying long in the ... long term. I don't think there's going to be a decline like 2000 or 2008 in the next year or two, if the status quo keeps. I had some money chillin' and was looking to get some chump change in case of a speculative sell-off, which worked ok.

Thinking about it some more, I could've just gone SPY and made the same amount with probably less risk.

AMD/TSLA thing: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-chips/tesla-working-with-amd-to-develop-chip-for-self-driving-car-cnbc-idUSKCN1BV2YB

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 21, 2017

Adbot
    ADBOT LOVES YOU

dougdrums
    Feb 25, 2005
    iirc AMD owns none of GlobalFounderies anymore and it's majority owned by the UAE, so none of this really makes any sense.

Like, they're a big fab, doesn't mean AMD is on the case.

Also AMD has quite a few custom jobs already ... I don't think adding Tesla would pad that too much.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 21, 2017