Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i put on my witness robe and hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Carthag Tuek posted:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Carthag Tuek posted:

i put on my robe and witness hat

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i cast level 3 jurisprudence. you are now a competent judge

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Carthag Tuek posted:

on that note, pro tip: dont buy celery, lest your panties drop for all to see

Oh man way old school art frahm reference, well done. As I'm sure you know lileks has a whole massive gallery of his weirdo poo poo

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Carthag Tuek posted:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Carthag Tuek posted:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
"Computer" has been claimed to be the acronym of Common Operating Machine Purposely Used for Technological and Educational Research.[dubious – discuss] In fact, it is simply something or someone which computes.[77]

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i purposely use my computer for garbage and idiocy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

goblin week posted:

"Computer" has been claimed to be the acronym of Common Operating Machine Purposely Used for Technological and Educational Research.[dubious – discuss] In fact, it is simply something or someone which computes.[77]

people claiming acronym etymologies for common words (fornication under consent of king, port out starboard home, etc) really piss me off for some reason.

it's like the lupus of linguistics. it is never true

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

people claiming acronym etymologies for common words (fornication under consent of king, port out starboard home, etc) really piss me off for some reason.

somewhat thread relevant: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OK#The_etymologies_of_OK

quote:

The general fad is speculated to have existed in spoken or informal written U.S. English for a decade or more before its appearance in newspapers. OK's original presentation as "all correct" was later varied with spellings such as "Oll Korrect" or even "Ole Kurreck".

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Sagebrush posted:

same for the racist etymologies of words like picnic

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

band names growing up in the 80s were the best for that:
all children/destroy christ or against christ/devil’s companions depending on which church lady you listened to
knights in satan’s service

and the contemporary chat abbreviation lucifer our lord

seeing patterns that aren’t there is a hell of a drug and i think those people all joined q now instead of looking for the devil in rock band names.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sweevo posted:

same for the racist etymologies of words like picnic

oh yeah i knew a guy who refused to use the world jewelry because he said it was racist against jews, loving gold and gems and shiny things like they do

quote:

from the Old French "jouel", and beyond that, to the Latin word "jocale", meaning plaything

Midjack posted:

seeing patterns that aren’t there is a hell of a drug and i think those people all joined q now instead of looking for the devil in rock band names.

i suspect it's a neat little evolutionary thing. humans have probably overpowered pattern-fitting abilities because it's so advantageous to be able to spot the tiger in the grass (and on the savannah there's no real downside to seeing one that isn't there). absent tigers and grass, that part of the brain gets repurposed for things like subconsciously recognizing police cars a mile down the road, or it goes haywire trying to connect hillary clinton to jeffrey dahmer because what if the tiger really is there??

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 10, 2021

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

ive seen those things (attempts to reverse-engineer an existing word into an acronym) called "backronyms"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

i suspect it's a neat little evolutionary thing. humans have probably overpowered pattern-fitting abilities because it's so advantageous to be able to spot the tiger in the grass (and on the savannah there's no real downside to seeing one that isn't there). absent tigers and grass, that part of the brain gets repurposed for things like subconsciously recognizing police cars a mile down the road, or it goes haywire trying to connect hillary clinton to jeffrey dahmer because what if the tiger really is there??

i’m pretty sure this isn’t far from the truth, along with a tendency toward watching tv for hours being an inherited trait as an adaptation of lookouts for food or threats in the distant past.

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

similarly, i don’t buy the generally accepted claim of bae as an acronym

sets off my bullshit detector

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lifetime supply of Pocky posted:

it is though: British AErospace! :v:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lifetime supply of Pocky posted:

isn't it just a phonetic spelling of the first syllable of baby?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FMguru posted:

ive seen those things (attempts to reverse-engineer an existing word into an acronym) called "backronyms"

i have always thought of "backronym" as a tortured phrase specifically selected to make a cool initialism, like the "Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism" act.

you're right that it's very similar, but to me a backronym is intended to be an abbreviation and they just picked the word before the phrase, while this "Fornication Under Consent of King" stuff the word never stood for anything in the first place.

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

Carthag Tuek posted:

isn't it just a phonetic spelling of the first syllable of baby?

yeah, that seems like the straightforward origin to me too

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
a lot of those fake acronym origins would be classed as folk etymology

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
When a psychologist or psychiatrist testifies during a defendant's competency hearing, the psychologist or psychiatrist shall wear a cone-shaped hat that is not less than two feet tall. The surface of the hat shall be imprinted with stars and lightning bolts. Additionally, a psychologist or psychiatrist shall be required to don a white beard that is not less than 18 inches in length and shall punctuate crucial elements of his testimony by stabbing the air with a wand. Whenever a psychologist or psychiatrist provides expert testimony regarding a defendant's competency, the bailiff shall contemporaneously dim the courtroom lights and administer two strikes to a Chinese gong.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

:shuckyes:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
It opened in 15 theaters and grossed $108,000 in its opening weekend.[61] Word of mouth later spread, and the film became a "sleeper hit", making over $600,000 domestically and nearly $2 million overseas, for a worldwide gross of approximately $2.7 or $29.4 million.[61]

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
:pwn:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Malloc Voidstar posted:

It opened in 15 theaters and grossed $108,000 in its opening weekend.[61] Word of mouth later spread, and the film became a "sleeper hit", making over $600,000 domestically and nearly $2 million overseas, for a worldwide gross of approximately $2.7 or $29.4 million.[61]

i've heard of hollywood accounting but this is ridiculous

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

approximately 1 or 11

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
the worldwide gross was probably a number, and if it was a number then it was surely a positive number

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
When Mansell tries to extort money from the 'Albanian' Skender Lulgjaraj, Cruz isn't about to let Mansell slip through the legal system's gaping holes a second time.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
An unnaturally long and bitter winter has fallen over all of Mithgar, and there are rumors of Vulg attacks on Warrow farms. So in the Boskydells, all young male Warrows are training to become Thornwalkers and watch over their homeland. Tuck Underbank, Danner Bramblethorn and several others pack up and depart, leaving behind Tuck's dammia (girlfriend/lover) and all their families.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Tonkatsu sauce is a thick sauce served with tonkatsu, the Japanese pork cutlet. It is a thick (viscosity over 2.0 pascal-second, per JAS standard) Japanese Worcestershire-type sauce.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

The column of the tower was built from an unprecedented continual pour of concrete. Pouring began May 15, 1967 and was completed 24 days later at an average growth of 7.6 m (25 ft) per day, a rate that was praised by industry officials as an "amazing feat of technical and physical workmanship".

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
Kanchō (カンチョー) is a prank performed by clasping the hands together in the shape of an imaginary gun and attempting to poke an unsuspecting victim's anus, often while exclaiming "Kan-CHO!".[1] It is a common prank among children in East Asia such as Japan.[2] In Korea it is called ddongchim (Korean: 똥침).[3][4] In China, it is popularly called Qiānnián shā. The word is a slang adoption of the Japanese word for enema (浣腸, kanchō).[5] In accordance with widespread practice, the word is generally written in katakana when used in its slang sense, and in kanji when used for enemas in the medical sense.

In English-speaking countries, the prank is known as goosing.[6]

In popular culture

Boong-Ga Boong-Ga is a video game for the Korean and Japanese market that allows the player to engage in simulated kanchō.

"Ddong Chim" is the title of a first season episode of Kim's Convenience which focuses on the fallout from the prank.

See also
  • Groping
  • Puberty
  • School bullying
  • Sexual assault

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyakumonogatari_Kaidankai

telling ghost stories, but it needs its own article because it :siren: happens in japan :siren:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

It is a common prank among children in East Asia such as Japan.
love when a wikipedian gets very close to typing a coherent sentence

when you've got movies like tom cruise in them, you can't lose

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

I first learned about this from this delightful webcomic about teaching English to small Japanese children.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Sweevo posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyakumonogatari_Kaidankai

telling ghost stories, but it needs its own article because it :siren: happens in japan :siren:

this kinda sucks as a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
there is even a kancho arcade game