Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
freaking sportsball am i right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sham bam bamina! posted:

tbf, an entire trivia round dedicated to the patriots is terrible

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
the link on its own would have been a funny post

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sham bam bamina! posted:

is this better

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_esports_players

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sham bam bamina! posted:

the link on its own would have been a funny post

sports is pop culture, anime is pop culture, ergo that whole page is exactly the same as the "blowing your nose, but in japan" ones

they should make like a fandom namespace so all the tropers can go write about sportsball and anime in there

this post began as a joke but i dont know what im doing any longer

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

sports is pop culture, anime is pop culture, ergo that whole page is exactly the same as the "blowing your nose, but in japan" ones

they should make like a fandom namespace so all the tropers can go write about sportsball and anime in there

this post began as a joke but i dont know what im doing any longer

this is terminally online word salad

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
esports is hilarious for how insecure it is about being video games and all the pageantry it piles around trying to be a "real" "sporting" competition for example in the very funny name

just own being a nerd on a computer, it's ok and the normies actually think it's cool now and give you money for it, you don't see speedrunners trying to pass gaming off as "e-parkour" and why would they

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
they should really embrace calling themselves athletes

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

only one person plays fortnite lol

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
freddie wong is on the list for playing the esport of guitar hero

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Midjack posted:

this is terminally online word salad

sports is fine, and anime. practicing and excelling at something is good

i just wanted to write an angry post like we used to

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Carthag Tuek posted:

lol that i know what this is about from the description

John Karl Kershaw (October 12, 1913 – September 7, 2010) was an American attorney best known for challenging the official account of the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr., claiming that his client James Earl Ray was an unwitting participant in a ploy devised by a mystery man named Raul to kill the civil rights leader. Kershaw was also a Southern secessionist and segregationist who helped found the League of the South. In 1998, he sculpted a Nathan Bedford Forrest Statue that has drawn wide criticism and mockery by national media.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

ethletes

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sham bam bamina! posted:

esports is hilarious for how insecure it is about being video games and all the pageantry it piles around trying to be a "real" "sporting" competition for example in the very funny name

just own being a nerd on a computer, it's ok and the normies actually think it's cool now and give you money for it, you don't see speedrunners trying to pass gaming off as "e-parkour" and why would they

https://twitter.com/theonion/status/1364338032841809929?s=21

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

they're not all from south africa tho

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

After Denial eSports disbanded, Lengyel and the other members of the team played together under the name "YIKES!" which was later changed to "Arc 6" after being asked by Blizzard since the logo could not be used and the name was deemed unmarketable.[12][13][14]

Clips from him playing chess began to gain traction on Reddit, especially on the subreddit r/LivestreamFail, and got other streamers to gain interest in the game.[citation needed]

awesomeolion fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 27, 2021

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sham bam bamina! posted:

the starcrafts are the only esports

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
"At its release, the film was much criticized by Godzilla fans the world over. Kenpachiro Satsuma, the actor who portrayed Godzilla in the second series of films (1984–1995) walked out of a Tokyo screening and told reporters that, 'It's not Godzilla, it does not have the spirit."[12]

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I got no problem with an article listing football players, but a separate article just for the guys who played one particular position for one particular team is kinda worthless.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Sham bam bamina! posted:

yeah leave it to the people Blizzard somehow conned into building giant rear end stadiums where you watch people click a whole bunch

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_from_Sesame_Street

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
A screwdriver with apple juice instead of orange juice is an "Anita Bryant Cocktail".[9] Bryant was an American singer and spokeswoman for the Florida Citrus Commission during the 1960s and 1970s.[10] Starting in 1977, she became an anti-gay rights activist.[11] Because Bryant promoted orange juice, the gay community retaliated by boycotting it.[12] Gay bars across North America stopped serving screwdrivers[13] and invented this cocktail to replace it.[9] The sales and proceeds of the cocktail went to gay rights activists and helped fund their work against Bryant.[9] The campaign was ultimately successful as Bryant's activism damaged her musical and business career.[11][10] Her contract with the Florida Citrus Commission was left to expire in 1980 after they stated she was "worn out" as a spokesperson.[10][14] After that, gay bars started selling screwdrivers again.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Slower than most of the sorting algorithms (even naive ones) with a time complexity of O(nlog 3 / log 1.5 ) = O(n2.7095...).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Despite the fact that she's deaf-mute, Liam was yelling at Mac "YOU WILL CALL HER!!".

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The title comes from the 1991 Soundgarden song "Outshined", which features the line "I'm looking California, and feeling Minnesota". The band is not on the soundtrack.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
The word turpentine derives (via French and Latin), from the Greek word τερεβινθίνη terebinthine, in turn the feminine form (to conform to the feminine gender of the Greek word, which means "resin") of an adjective (τερεβίνθινος) derived from the Greek noun (τερέβινθος), for the tree species terebinth.[5]

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Carthag Tuek posted:

the "blowing your nose, but in japan" ones

the weeb ones are my new fav genre of wikipedia - here's an article one of them wrote about the japanese word for "epiphany"

Satori (悟り) is a Japanese Buddhist term for awakening, "comprehension; understanding".[1] It is derived from the Japanese verb satoru.[2]

In the Zen Buddhist tradition, satori refers to the experience of kenshō,[3] "seeing into one's true nature". Ken means "seeing," shō means "nature" or "essence".[3]

Satori and kenshō are commonly translated as enlightenment, a word that is also used to translate bodhi, prajñā and Buddhahood.

Satori is often used interchangeably with kenshō.[3] Kenshō refers to the perception of the Buddha-nature or emptiness. According to some authors, kenshō is a brief glimpse, while satori is considered to be a deeper spiritual experience.[citation needed]

See also

• Bodhi
  • Catharsis
  • Enlightenment
  • Epiphany
  • Peak experience
  • Satori generation
  • Shiken haramitsu daikoumyo
  • Sotāpanna or Stream Entry
  • Gnosis
  • Grok
  • Ten Bulls
  • Wu, a similar concept in Chinese Buddhism

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
not to be confused with Kanchō , of course

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
One of the tracks in Taylor Swift’s seventh studio album is entitled "Death By A Thousand Cuts" and compares the pain of a breakup to this form of torture.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the weeb ones are my new fav genre of wikipedia - here's an article one of them wrote about the japanese word for "epiphany"

Satori (悟り) is a Japanese Buddhist term for awakening, "comprehension; understanding".[1] It is derived from the Japanese verb satoru.[2]

In the Zen Buddhist tradition, satori refers to the experience of kenshō,[3] "seeing into one's true nature". Ken means "seeing," shō means "nature" or "essence".[3]

Satori and kenshō are commonly translated as enlightenment, a word that is also used to translate bodhi, prajñā and Buddhahood.

Satori is often used interchangeably with kenshō.[3] Kenshō refers to the perception of the Buddha-nature or emptiness. According to some authors, kenshō is a brief glimpse, while satori is considered to be a deeper spiritual experience.[citation needed]

See also

• Bodhi
  • Catharsis
  • Enlightenment
  • Epiphany
  • Peak experience
  • Satori generation
  • Shiken haramitsu daikoumyo
  • Sotāpanna or Stream Entry
  • Gnosis
  • Grok
  • Ten Bulls
  • Wu, a similar concept in Chinese Buddhism

this is non-weeb and not-worthless

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Needless to say, Piggsburg Pigs! is a comedy, and pig puns are often the humor of choice.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

mathletes

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

wait no mathl33ts

wait no mathNEETS

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2021-01-31/Traffic_report posted:

Imagine having someone kneeling on your neck for nine and a half minutes. Well, forty-six year old African-American man George Floyd didn't need to imagine it; he died from it.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
The Karen language.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

namechecks red karen, which i believe was the direct to video red sonja sequel

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

We had a large group of Karen refugees move into our neighborhood back when I was in high school. We made some good friends and I really miss them.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Until late 1959, Fischer "had dressed atrociously for a champion, appearing at the most august and distinguished national and international events in sweaters and corduroys."

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Reception

A review in The Times praises the book's academic rigor and humor, especially in some job examples, but altogether felt that Graeber's argument was "enjoyably overstated".[2] The reviewer found Graeber's historical work ethic argument convincing, but offered counterarguments on other points: that the average British workweek has decreased in the last century, that Graeber's argument for the overall proportion of pointless work is overreliant on the YouGov survey, and that the same survey does not hold that "most people hate their jobs". The reviewer maintains that while "managerial feudalism" can explain the existence of flunkies, Graeber's other types of bullshit jobs owe their existence to competition, government regulation, long supply chains, and the withering of inefficient companies—the same ingredients responsible for luxuries of advanced capitalism such as smartphones and year-round produce.[2]

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Magnús Skúlason reported Fischer's response to leg massages: "Nothing soothes as much as the human touch."