Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

- It is now possible for the player character to become fat by collecting food items in every stage after Mission 2; in the original game, the obese transformation was only possible in Mission 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
American rapper and singer Doja Cat was declared the Milkshake Duck of 2018 by NME. The recording artist had experienced a viral hit with her single "Mooo!," a novelty song with an absurdist lyrical theme in which she fantasizes about being a cow. Controversy ensued when it was revealed that in a 2015 tweet she had used the homophobic slur "human being" to describe hip-hop artists Tyler, the Creator and Earl Sweatshirt, members of the musical collective Odd Future. She initially defended her remarks, writing, "I called a couple people faggots when I was in high school in 2015 does this mean I don't deserve support? I've said human being roughly like 15 thousand times in my life. Does saying human being mean you hate gay people?" Her response met further backlash, including a critical tweet by Will and Grace actress Debra Messing, expressing disappointment in Doja for defending past ignorance and imploring her to use her fame and platform for good. Doja Cat later issued a series of apologies for her derogatory words and deleted her tweets. The controversy generated much discourse about the limits of "cancel culture".

matti
Mar 31, 2019

lol

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Reception [edit]

The novel received Critical Acclaim, receiving nearly perfect ratings on most reading sites.[citation needed]

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

(unreal tournament announcer voice)

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Critical Acclaim

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Wikipedia bureaucracy is on a whole other level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aF_vXQclmE

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

In popular culture
Metathesis is described by the character Data in the episode "Hollow Pursuits" in the television series Star Trek: The Next Generation after Captain Picard accidentally addresses Lieutenant Barclay as "Mr. Broccoli".[citation needed]

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011
Brindley is perhaps best known for an unusual scientific presentation at the 1983 Las Vegas meeting of the American Urological Association, where he removed his pants to show the audience his chemically induced erection and invited them to inspect it closely.[4][5]

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Bourton-on-the-Water model village is a scale model village in Bourton-on-the-Water, Gloucestershire, England. [...]

The model village includes a scale model of the model village (which would be at 1:81 scale). This model, in turn, contains a scale model of the model of the model village; being at 1:729 scale this measures around 1 foot (30 cm) in width. This model also contains a scale model (in paint only) of the model of the model of the model village (which would be at 1:6561 scale).[4]

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Historically, one distinguishes between the normal and an anomalous Zeeman effect (discovered by Thomas Preston in Dublin, Ireland[2]). The anomalous effect appears on transitions where the net spin of the electrons is non-zero. It was called "anomalous" because the electron spin had not yet been discovered, and so there was no good explanation for it at the time that Zeeman observed the effect. Wolfgang Pauli recalls that when asked by a colleague why he looks unhappy he replied "How can one look happy when he is thinking about the anomalous Zeeman effect?".[3]

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Carbon dioxide posted:

Bourton-on-the-Water model village is a scale model village in Bourton-on-the-Water, Gloucestershire, England. [...]

The model village includes a scale model of the model village (which would be at 1:81 scale). This model, in turn, contains a scale model of the model of the model village; being at 1:729 scale this measures around 1 foot (30 cm) in width. This model also contains a scale model (in paint only) of the model of the model of the model village (which would be at 1:6561 scale).[4]

oh hey I remember this borges story

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Carbon dioxide posted:

oh yeah i remember when a mischievous goose stole the bell out of the village's bell tower. pulled the whole tower down iirc. and then they fixed it and the goose did it again

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

oh yeah i remember when a mischievous goose stole the bell out of the village's bell tower. pulled the whole tower down iirc. and then they fixed it and the goose did it again

:honk:

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

irl lol

bertolt rekt
Jul 30, 2007

The batman (or bateman) was first recorded in English in 1599, in Babylon (probably modern Baghdad), where it was said to be equal to "7 pound and 5 ounces English weight".[1] In the central Ottoman system of weights, the batman was equal to six okas, as is attested in 1811 in Aleppo,[8] 1821 in Baghdad[9] and in 1850 in Constantinople.[1] At this point, the batman was equal to 16 lb 8 oz avoirdupois (7.484 kg).[9]

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Kramer considered adding a fifth "mad" to the title before deciding it was redundant but noted in interviews that he later regretted it.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

this might be the single crunchiest image i've seen on wikipedia

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011
Before becoming popular, the band invented a back-story for why they wear wolf masks, which involves them being created as the "Ultimate Life Form" by Jimi Hendrix, who is described by the band as being the doctor of the guitar and master wolf biologist.[11] They were then frozen in Antarctica for years. While they were frozen, they had been listening to all kinds of music from all around the world,[12] before later escaping and emerging onto the Japanese music scene.[13]

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

bertolt rekt posted:

The batman (or bateman) was first recorded in English in 1599, in Babylon (probably modern Baghdad), where it was said to be equal to "7 pound and 5 ounces English weight".[1] In the central Ottoman system of weights, the batman was equal to six okas, as is attested in 1811 in Aleppo,[8] 1821 in Baghdad[9] and in 1850 in Constantinople.[1] At this point, the batman was equal to 16 lb 8 oz avoirdupois (7.484 kg).[9]

it's weird that batman is a scrabble-legal word, like three times over.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mescal posted:

it's weird that batman is a scrabble-legal word, like three times over.

It's weird how, prior to like 1940 or whenever, nobody would think that was in any way weird.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ColTim posted:

Before becoming popular, the band invented a back-story for why they wear wolf masks, which involves them being created as the "Ultimate Life Form" by Jimi Hendrix, who is described by the band as being the doctor of the guitar and master wolf biologist.[11] They were then frozen in Antarctica for years. While they were frozen, they had been listening to all kinds of music from all around the world,[12] before later escaping and emerging onto the Japanese music scene.[13]

why am i not watching this tv show

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Cross-linguistic onomatopoeias
Human sounds
Consuming food or drink
Bodily functions and involuntary sounds
Cries of distress
Interrupted speech
Expressions of positive emotions
Animal sounds
Bird sounds
Domestic birds
Wild birds
Mammal sounds
Cats and dogs
Equine sounds
Animals with cloven hoofs
Other mammals
Other animals
Collisions, bursts, and strikes
Balloon or bubble bursting
Cannon firing; gunshot; machine gun fire
Crash
Door or floor creaking
Engine back-firing while freewheeling
Knocking
Strikes
Dull strike
Falling strike
Sharp strike
Wet strike
Crunch, сracking (of sticks, bones etc.)
Jingling

I am wet strike:
In Afrikaans, plons, plas, spat
In Albanian, plluq, pëlltuq, pllaf
In Arabic, بلوف
In Bulgarian, plyok пльок
In Catalan, xap, xof, patatxap
In Croatian, šljap
In Czech, plesk
In Chinese, Mandarin, ba-ji 啪唧[citation needed]
In Danish, plask
In Dutch, plons
In English, splash, splish, splosh, splat
In Estonian lärts, plärts
In Finnish, loiskis, mäts
In French, plouf
In German, patsch, platsch, klatsch, schwapp
In Hungarian, platty, placcs
In Indonesian, crot, byur
In Italian, plop
In Japanese, bicha びちゃっ
In Korean, cheolpudeok 철푸덕, cheolpeok 철퍽
In Kyrgyz, чалп
In Malay, trushh, shushh, pishh
In Persian, čolop-čolop, pešenge
In Polish, plask
In Portuguese, tchibum[por 1]
In Romanian, pleosc, fleoșc, fleașc
In Russian, bultykh бултых, plyukh плюх
In Spanish, splash, plaf
In Swedish, plask
In Tagalog, plok
In Thai, โพล๊ะ (plo), แผละ (plae)
In Tamil, chatak
In Turkish, şap, şop
In Uropi, plac
In Vietnamese, bẹp, phọp

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

son of a bicha

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

VictualSquid posted:

I am wet strike:
please take your marital disputes elsewhere

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm plärts

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

TIL the Greeks name the planets after their own gods and not the Roman ones. It's actually obvious when you think about it, but still fun to know.

Helios for the Sun
Hermes for Mercury
Aphrodite for Venus
Gaia for Earth
Aries for Mars
Zeus
Chronos
Uranus is the same
Poseidon

Dwarf planets are the same

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 23, 2023

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

which of those planets would the greeks have even known about? like i assume they'd have known out to saturn

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oh you mean modern greece

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Progressive JPEG posted:

which of those planets would the greeks have even known about? like i assume they'd have known out to saturn

No one knew about Uranus and Neptune in ancient times. I suppose modern Greeks just have a lot of pride about keeping their God's names.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
we should do the same in English tbh, like we do for the days of the week

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Soricidus posted:

we should do the same in English tbh, like we do for the days of the week

need to fix the utterly hosed up English names for the months of the year first.

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011
In the 1950s, it gradually became public knowledge that Muzak was using music to manipulate behavior. There were accusations of brainwashing, and court challenges.[20][better source needed] However, its popularity remained high through the mid-1960s. President Dwight D. Eisenhower was the first president to pump Muzak into the West Wing, and Lyndon B. Johnson owned the Muzak franchise in Austin, Texas. NASA reportedly used Muzak in many of its space missions to soothe astronauts and occupy periods of inactivity.[21]

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

not wikipedia but

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
After Hefner's death in 2017, it began to emerge publicly that sex and drug use occurred frequently at the Playboy Mansion during Hefner's lifetime.[6][7][8]

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Examples
"Never give in — never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy."—Winston Churchill
"Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow, Creeps in this petty pace from day to day, To the last syllable of recorded time..."—Macbeth
"The horror, the horror"—Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness
"Scotch, scotch, scotch, scotchy, scotchy scotch."—Ron Burgundy, Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
"Well, Well, Well,..." — John Lennon, Well Well Well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megarectum