Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

well it's not just you, something changed

it's a lot harder to read now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Farecoal posted:

did wikipedia change their font or something????

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Farecoal posted:

it's a lot harder to read now

ya

its prolly just a prelude tho to jimmy wales face on the top of the screen prostituting his website for change with the extortion of the font going back only if you donate

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Nelson MandEULA posted:

i refuse to believe anyone would do all this work without being paid:

so this is your first visit to Wikipedia then?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I wanna say the font change has something to do with libreoffice changing their default font to the awful liberation serif font recently, but it's probably just wikipedia taking their retarded image license guidelines to the logical conclusion

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Arimo

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

font's the same for me as always, but i explicitly chose monobook layout in appearance preferences long ago

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Sniep posted:

ya

its prolly just a prelude tho to jimmy wales face on the top of the screen prostituting his website for change with the extortion of the font going back only if you donate

how change bak

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Install Windows posted:

font's the same for me as always, but i explicitly chose monobook layout in appearance preferences long ago

same, but i have custom css that forces serif fonts

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Mukokuseki (Japanese: 無国籍; "statelessness") is the use of ambiguous racial features of characters in Japanese culture. This can be seen more readily in later anime in the fantasy and mecha genres, where characters are given Kabuki-like unnatural hair colors (for example white, red, pink, or blue hair), enlarged eyes, or dysmorphic humanoid bodies (such as Tetsuo and the Espers in Akira).

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

duTrieux. posted:

Mukokuseki (Japanese: 無国籍; "statelessness") is the use of ambiguous racial features of characters in Japanese culture. This can be seen more readily in later anime in the fantasy and mecha genres, where characters are given Kabuki-like unnatural hair colors (for example white, red, pink, or blue hair), enlarged eyes, or dysmorphic humanoid bodies (such as Tetsuo and the Espers in Akira).

i actually didnt know this thing had a name so thats p interesting and it really could use some stuff like why does it happen or what are the cultural implications or why are all animes white but of course not

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

i actually didnt know this thing had a name so thats p interesting and it really could use some stuff like why does it happen or what are the cultural implications or why are all animes white but of course not

because most japanese people have p white skintones.

especially the nerds.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Fengdu Ghost City

Wikipedia posted:

It is known for its numerous ghost encounters, but China, being a very strict and patriotic country, never allows any stories to be released or reported.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortbread

the french wikipedia entry on the biscuit shortbread

also the entire french wikipedia :wtc:

Valeyard fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 4, 2014

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

why are all animes white but of course not
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiteness_in_Japanese_culture

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
anime lf

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
seriously though if you wonder why japanese people make "white" people in anime, you're probably racist

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Install Windows posted:

seriously though if you wonder why japanese people make "white" people in anime, you're probably racist

i think it's more like why is there basically no race in anime

except black people, there are definitely black people and they definitely have some watermelon-rear end-eating lips

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

syscall girl posted:

except black people, there are definitely black people and they definitely have some watermelon-rear end-eating lips

its not no race, they're drawing japanese people.

when they want to draw western-white people they tend to give them exaggerated different hair and facial features.

its just that white people assume that japanese people have to look a whole lot different from them therefore the anime people are meant to be generic...

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
animes don't really look like people in the first place so idk what you all are on about

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Install Windows posted:

its not no race, they're drawing japanese people.

when they want to draw western-white people they tend to give them exaggerated different hair and facial features.

its just that white people assume that japanese people have to look a whole lot different from them therefore the anime people are meant to be generic...

do some googling for white people in anime or something, you'll find some jew-rear end looking motherfuckers

either that or craggy and angular

i'd link to something but then swsxprt will probate me :(

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
The exaggerations of westerners are generally flattering from what I've seen.

May have slipped in recent years
1991 - Guile
2008 - Rufus

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

MeruFM posted:

The exaggerations of westerners are generally flattering from what I've seen.

May have slipped in recent years
1991 - Guile
2008 - Rufus

rufus is still a flattering caricature since he's not tied to a mobility scooter

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

ugly font

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

welp, turns out I didn't have Arimo installed and the browser defaulted to something really terrible.

looks slightly better after I manually installed Arimo.

good job wikipedia making users on the most common platform manually install fonts.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Install Windows posted:

because most japanese people have p white skintones.

what

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

syscall girl posted:

it makes me feel a little better about america when i see how some other countries do racial stereotypes. at least we're not like that

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
didn't they nearly manage to get themselves declared legally white back in the segregation era, before someone realised what a bad precedent that would set (i mean bad from the point of view of a terrible racist)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

they do, i'm using white here in the sense of "white people" not blank piece of paper white.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

The last wooden spoon

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Uguisu no fun (Japanese: 鶯の糞) (also called the "Geisha Facial"[1]), which literally means “nightingale feces” in Japanese, refers to the excrement (fun) produced by a particular nightingale called the Japanese bush warbler (Cettia diphone) (uguisu).[1] The droppings, the use of which was introduced to Japan by Koreans, have been used in facials since ancient Japanese times.[1]

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

prefect posted:

it makes me feel a little better about america when i see how some other countries do racial stereotypes. at least we're not like that

it's weird to think about how we're probably one of the more enlightened countries when it comes to race

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

duTrieux. posted:

it's weird to think about how we're probably one of the more enlightened countries when it comes to race

lol

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Install Windows posted:

they do, i'm using white here in the sense of "white people" not blank piece of paper white.

no way, they are, uh
you know, asian

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
post the most worthless thing you can find on the forums

its this page

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
baka gaijins, the lot of you

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

haveblue posted:

baka gaijins, the lot of you
uh sumimasen but i think you'll find that the plural of gaijin is gaijin

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I like the trap you set haveblue and I approve of it.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
bakas gaijin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish