Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sopwith_7F.1_Snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
http://nostalgia.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePage

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:*

[that's a wildcard character ;)]

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TenementFunster posted:

its this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:All_Day_%28album%29

glad to be of service, y'all

lol look at the admin talk about this:

quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Administrators%27_noticeboard/Archive219#All_Day_.28album.29_full_of_original_research

All Day (album) was covered in some online news source (it might've been a school paper) last week. While doing research for last week's Signpost, I came across the article and therefore checked it out. Full of original research, with IPs and SPAs seemingly trying to "identify" samples on the album's tracks. I tagged it for OR, only to find out today that it had been removed, with discussion on the talk page where the users partaking in the OR refuse to accept that what they are doing is OR (one use even called the person who put up the template - me - an "idiot"). One user also suggested trying to get Wikipedia to reference itself if the artist acknowledged the accuracy of the page, in direct contradiction to our WP:RS policy. User:OverlordQ has tried to explain to them that it is OR, but so far to no avail. Admin eyes would be good, this is just a big mess. StrPby (talk) 10:26, 30 November 2010 (UTC)

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

quote:

I would encourage those who have put time and energy into this matter consider the fact that with a system as organic as wikipedia, it's ultimately futile to try to force people to operate within rules that are not a community priority. I like wikipedia because it is a single source of bandages for my meandering curiosity. All that you have done by removing the track listing, is effectually added a step to my process of getting the information that I want as I now have to go into the article archive to get the information rather than it being (portrayed in the manner that I prefer to digest it) in the body of the article. Wikipedia's community has a nack for presenting information exactly how I like to see it. I don't see why I should bother to go look elsewhere for it. So, don't take this personally, as it is meant merely as a manifestation of the way things are in reality, but: Thank you for wasting my time (by making me go through extra steps.) -a wikipedia consumer — Preceding unsigned comment added by Aircraftcarryur (talk • contribs) 04:35, 13 December 2010 (UTC)
read this and try not to contemplate suicide

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

TenementFunster posted:

no

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TenementFunster posted:

I already contemplate suicide whenever I read your posts

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
i never thought i'd be encouraging tenementfunster to post more, but welp

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
jk haveblue but when you leave an opening like that just hanging out there, someone's going to use it

it's like mardi gras

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

haveblue posted:

too bad you never complete anything you set out to do

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk

haveblue posted:

i contemplate homicide whenever i read yours

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shipping_(fandom) :gonk:

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Daria fandom was marked through its entire run by shipper debate. From the series' first season, the main conflict was between people who thought that the title character, Daria Morgendorffer, should have a relationship with Trent Lane, a slacker rock-band frontman, whom Daria met through his sister, Jane. A common argument against this possible outcome was that such a development would signal a turn away from the more subversive aspects of Daria's character, and thus the show.
The show's writers responded by having Daria develop a crush on Trent, even having Daria go as far as to get a piercing because Trent encouraged her to, as well as having her get rashes on her head at the sight of Trent. Trent, however, remained involved with his off-and-on girlfriend Monique, who immediately became a target of shipper ire. The crush ended in the third season's finale, "Jane's Addition", when Daria realized that Trent could never satisfy her in the long run.
That same episode introduced Tom Sloane, a charming and intellectual son of privilege who nonetheless drove a Ford Pinto. Although Tom became Jane's boyfriend, threatening Daria and Jane's friendship in the process, Daria and Tom warmed up to each other throughout the fourth season, leading up to its finale, "Dye! Dye! My Darling," broadcast August 2, 2000.[2] With Jane and Tom's relationship in crisis, a heated argument between Daria and Tom led up to a kiss in Tom's car. With Daria indecisive as to whether this relationship should be pursued further, Daria and Jane's friendship was in tatters for the rest of the episode. In the made-for-TV movie "Is it Fall Yet?," Daria decided to begin a relationship with Tom, and Daria and Jane patched up their friendship.
This caused an instant uproar. The shipper faction having won the initial debate (in fair part having do with other artistic decisions Daria made after Season 1 reflecting a conceptual desire towards post-modernity, such as a musical episode, "Daria!", extended dream sequences laden with 70s-80s detective show references ("Murder, She Snored"), and human representations of the major holidays (and Guy Fawkes Day) manifesting themselves in Lawndale in "Depth Takes A Holiday"), conversation now turned to whether Tom was more appropriate than the long-dismissed Trent. The debate was satirized by the show's writers in a piece on MTV's website.[3]

jesus fuckkkk

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
One lesser known aspect of the game deals with the numerous tree stumps found around the slopes of SkiFree. Users have found that when skied over backwards they transform into a small spotty mushroom. It has been theorised that this points to a philosophical leaning in the nature of SkiFree's creator Chris Pirih. The mushrooms may illustrate an extrapolation of Plato's theory of ideas in which the physical form of something may not reveal its true identity and only its representation in our particular plane of existence.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

got dat wmd posted:

One lesser known aspect of the game deals with the numerous tree stumps found around the slopes of SkiFree. Users have found that when skied over backwards they transform into a small spotty mushroom. It has been theorised that this points to a philosophical leaning in the nature of SkiFree's creator Chris Pirih. The mushrooms may illustrate an extrapolation of Plato's theory of ideas in which the physical form of something may not reveal its true identity and only its representation in our particular plane of existence.

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

got dat wmd posted:

added to pretentious_spergs.txt

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

got dat wmd posted:

lol, so he wrote it in the few weeks of psych101 between plato and wittgenstein??

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

got dat wmd posted:

hmm, yase, obviously an obscure reference to philosophy and not a transparent reference to :shroom:

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Trees
Throughout the game there are trees that seem to grow feet. If you look close, you may see some of these trees.

Burning Trees
Environmentalist concerns were brought to the forefront when players realized they could set fire to the trees by jumping over them. It is unknown whether this was intended to cause an uproar or not.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012
All exterior shots filmed in Ireland, written and created by Irish people and filmed with Irish Actors, it is hard to see why it is called a British television program. Interior shots were filmed in London, and the production company to which it was contracted was British, but does this serve to make it British?

Well it was produced by Channel 4 (a British company), but written by Irish writers. The actors were (almost entirely) Irish, but the crew were mixed British/Irish. It was filmed in Ireland and London. What's wrong with the idea of two countries cooperating on this? garik 11:33, 24 June 2006 (UTC)

Actually, it was produced for Channel 4 (a British company) by Hat Trick Productions (also a British company). Channel 4 does not produce programmes. --Bonalaw 13:31, 24 June 2006 (UTC)

Yes, sorry, you're quite right. Either way, the point is that it seems rather silly to debate whether it's Irish or British, when it could quite happily be understood to be both. garik 16:01, 24 June 2006 (UTC)

Best we not accuse others of being silly when we are part of the reverting ourselves. Calling "Father Ted" British is like calling "Braveheart" Irish, because some of the same principles are present. I do believe that Wikipedia is nothing if it's not accurate, so the two country compromise should do here with provenance going to Ireland, so I'll do a small edit and put Ireland first. Hope that's okay with everyone. Taramoon 16:36, 24 June 2006 (UTC)

Well, OK. Maybe 'silly' was an unfortunate word, though I meant it gently - I apologise if it wasn't taken as such. I can't help feeling, however, that to consider "Father Ted" as Irish or British, rather than both, is actually inaccurate, at least in the absence of criteria limiting nationality to that of the writers or the production company (or whatever). After all, if the rest of this talk page is to believed, it was shown on Channel 4 before it was shown on RTE. Out of interest, by the way, what's the Irish connection with "Braveheart"? I was under the impression it was pretty much an American film, but I know very little about it. In any case, I wholeheartedly agree that Ireland should be first on the Father Ted page. garik 17:59, 24 June 2006 (UTC)

Well just on the "Braveheart" question. Over 90% of filming was done in Ireland, over 90% of the actors were Irish, and the main production company was Irish. Yet, quite correctly, it's not classed as an Irish film. That was my comparison. Taramoon 18:19, 24 June 2006 (UTC)

Braveheart unlike Fr. Ted is set in Scotland. But then do we consider The Quite Man an Irish film? I agree that no nationality needs to be mentioned IrishTV (talk) 14:19, 18 July 2010 (UTC)

This has been changed yet again back to British. I have changed it to Irish/British as it is the fairest thing to do. Irish writers, Irish actors, British TV station & production company. Dornálaíocht (talk) 00:05, 18 July 2010 (UTC)

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

ireland pretends to have a culture beyond leprechauns and guiness

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

I find it highly amusing that people can be deeply offended by this word. It's a word, its sole meaning is "a black person," yes I know its history, but how long are people going to cling to the argument of slavery. It wouldn't be so bad except our society places a single ridiculous word onto such high regard where it can be used as freely as saying "hi" by blacks yet it is the worst offense when used by others. Such hypocrisy and stupidity is what leads to slavery and here you ignorants cherish it like gold.

Kirby Pufocia
Sep 28, 2010

hats off

Kirby Pufocia fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 7, 2020

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009

Nikolai Fuckharin posted:

I find it highly amusing that people can be deeply offended by this word. It's a word, its sole meaning is "a black person," yes I know its history, but how long are people going to cling to the argument of slavery. It wouldn't be so bad except our society places a single ridiculous word onto such high regard where it can be used as freely as saying "hi" by blacks yet it is the worst offense when used by others. Such hypocrisy and stupidity is what leads to slavery and here you ignorants cherish it like gold.

so sayeth the athiest, scienceophile, open source advocate university student

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
How so? African American English replaces R with A, so nigga and friend of the family are really the same thing, there is no real distinction when used, if you say friend of the family an offended African-American might be outraged that you "Said nigga.". It's like on the Simpsons, somehow they can tell Itchy & Scratchy is a cartoon but the news guy isn't: They're both cartoons in our eyes. Gigith (talk) 19:41, 11 January 2010 (UTC)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Sweevo posted:

ireland pretends to have a culture beyond leprechauns and guiness

why are irish folk songs all so sad

does it really suck to live there or what

goku im piss
Mar 18, 2005

Your mama was a snowblower
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XFL

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

Laser Vampire posted:

I think you can click on any discussion page and it's funny

You may have noticed that I changed the name of the Jennifer Lopez album mentioned in the account of the SNL controversy. I just watched her profile on E! Entertainment Television and it showed that it was J-Lo that was released in 2001, not On the Six. On the Six was Lopez's first album, released several years earlier. Sorry for the error, but again it has been corrected.--Desmond Hobson 17:16, 28 June 2006 (UTC)

goku im piss
Mar 18, 2005

Your mama was a snowblower

Nikolai Fuckharin posted:

I think you can click on any discussion page and it's funny

the xfl was a hilariously bad idea and this wiki page is even worse

the entire discussion area should be blotted out with the word FART

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Laser Vampire posted:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
The only part of XFL I remember was the guy with the jersey that said HEHATEME.

They also did that hanging cable camera first before the NFL so theres that.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Wikipedia is not an appropriate place to pursue relationships or sexual encounters. User pages that move beyond broad expressions of sexual orientation are unacceptable. However, you very well may make new friendships as you go about improving the encyclopedia.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

got dat wmd posted:

It's like on the Simpsons, somehow they can tell Itchy & Scratchy is a cartoon but the news guy isn't: They're both cartoons in our eyes. Gigith (talk) 19:41, 11 January 2010 (UTC)

whoa

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

axolotl farmer posted:

Wikipedia is not an appropriate place to pursue relationships or sexual encounters.

things best left unsaid

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

Most people do not believe this but in the early mid 1990s I had a 1/2 breed coon cat. We called him Scooter. Now what i want to say has to do with the reading I did aboutt the breed. Bio-bassed but impossible is the sub heading (or something like that). I disagree... I would take my kids down the riveway and wait for the school bus befor work. My oldest was 17 and 1 day we were talking and walking the younger kids down the drive and happened upon a familey of skunks. 1 Parent and 3 or 4 kittens, we stopped just to be safe and I commented that 1 of the kittens seemed odd. My oldest agreed and once the way was safe we looked at the soft sand beside the drive aand 1 skunk kitten had double paws on the front or so it looked. I tracked the odd prints to the edge of the field to make sure it was not just an illusion with all the paws prints. It was not! It was a double pawed skunk Kitten. My cat had breed with the skunk... —Preceding unsigned comment added by 72.224.243.248 (talk) 16:26, 17 August 2010 (UTC)

White Van Man
May 23, 2010

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
SCOOTER

ARE YOU READYYYYYYYYYYYY

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
ahahahaha

the donation banner's changed to say "please keep wikipedia free"

"ads!?!??!? omg no!!! that would hurt the integrity of the site" *paywall*

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

ahahahaha

the donation banner's changed to say "please keep wikipedia free"

"ads!?!??!? omg no!!! that would hurt the integrity of the site" *paywall*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Be_bold_in_updating_pages

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

poemdexter posted:

The only part of XFL I remember was the guy with the jersey that said HEHATEME.

rod smart owns

quote:

Smart explained the origin of the grammatically non-standard phrase in a January 30, 2004 article with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel as, "Basically, my brother's my opponent. After I win, he's gonna hate me. It is what it is. It's a saying I was saying when I'd feel something wasn't going my way. For example, (when) I was on the squad in Vegas and coach was putting other guys in, (if) I felt I'm better than them, you know, hey, 'he hate me.' See what I'm saying? Give me a chance. That's all I ask. It came from the heart. Within. The way I felt. My buddy Greg Kates always used to use it, so I took it from him."

When Smart and the Outlaws played divisional rival Los Angeles Xtreme, two Xtreme players put "I Hate He" and "I Hate He Too" on the back of their jerseys to express their disdain for Smart. In a later game between those two teams, those two players changed their nicknames to "Still Hate He" and "Still Hate He Too". The curious maxim also caught the eye of American audiences (as well as Smart's future Carolina Panthers teammate Jake Delhomme, who named one of his thoroughbreds, "She Hate Me").

loooolllll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Yodzilla posted:

why are irish folk songs all so sad

does it really suck to live there or what

qft. irish folk is so so bad

being really loving mad at the english isn't an alternative to actually having musical ability