Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Seamonster posted:

this is in the "did you know" section as im posting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilet_paper_orientation

literally an article that has no other purpose than to be poo poo on

that horrible article posted:

A toilet seat left up: not ready to be sat upon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mnemonics_for_the_cranial_nerves

quote:

32. One Of Our Team Tickled And Fingered Very Greasy Vaginas And Holes

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hammerite posted:

This user does not like the taste of water.
what the hell

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NOG posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectangle

i love the picture
does not exhibit golden ratio, get this poo poo off my free encyclopedia that anyone can edit

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Consider the following case:

On Twin Earth, a brain in a vat is at the wheel of a runaway trolley. There are only two options that the brain can take: the right side of the fork in the track or the left side of the fork. There is no way in sight of derailing or stopping the trolley and the brain is aware of this, for the brain knows trolleys. The brain is causally hooked up to the trolley such that the brain can determine the course which the trolley will take.

On the right side of the track there is a single railroad worker, Jones, who will definitely be killed if the brain steers the trolley to the right. If the railman on the right lives, he will go on to kill five men for the sake of killing them, but in doing so will inadvertently save the lives of thirty orphans (one of the five men he will kill is planning to destroy a bridge that the orphans' bus will be crossing later that night). One of the orphans that will be killed would have grown up to become a tyrant who would make good utilitarian men do bad things. Another of the orphans would grow up to become G.E.M. Anscombe, while a third would invent the pop-top can.

If the brain in the vat chooses the left side of the track, the trolley will definitely hit and kill a railman on the left side of the track, "Leftie" and will hit and destroy ten beating hearts on the track that could (and would) have been transplanted into ten patients in the local hospital that will die without donor hearts. These are the only hearts available, and the brain is aware of this, for the brain knows hearts. If the railman on the left side of the track lives, he too will kill five men, in fact the same five that the railman on the right would kill. However, "Leftie" will kill the five as an unintended consequence of saving ten men: he will inadvertently kill the five men rushing the ten hearts to the local hospital for transplantation. A further result of "Leftie's" act would be that the busload of orphans will be spared. Among the five men killed by "Leftie" are both the man responsible for putting the brain at the controls of the trolley, and the author of this example. If the ten hearts and "Leftie" are killed by the trolley, the ten prospective heart-transplant patients will die and their kidneys will be used to save the lives of twenty kidney-transplant patients, one of whom will grow up to cure cancer, and one of whom will grow up to be Hitler. There are other kidneys and dialysis machines available, however the brain does not know kidneys, and this is not a factor.

Assume that the brain's choice, whatever it turns out to be, will serve as an example to other brains-in-vats and so the effects of his decision will be amplified. Also assume that if the brain chooses the right side of the fork, an unjust war free of war crimes will ensue, while if the brain chooses the left fork, a just war fraught with war crimes will result. Furthermore, there is an intermittently active Cartesian demon deceiving the brain in such a manner that the brain is never sure if it is being deceived.

QUESTION: What should the brain do?

[ALTERNATIVE EXAMPLE: Same as above, except the brain has had a commisurotomy, and the left half of the brain is a consequentialist and the right side is an absolutist.]
I used this as a commit message once

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mr_jim posted:

knuth owns.
everyone is all over his balls but tex is garbage, at least from a user standpoint

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hammerite posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrotronics

the "valve sound"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c__UOCIMe74

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i had a religion professor who brought in some obscure bible translations to class one day, so i emailed her about this as a joke. next class she loaded it up on the projector and made me explain it to everyone :v:
[youtube-reversal-of-fortune]

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

moslo.exe
tppatch.exe hmph

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

thanks, cidrick's wife just fired me from the dog breast implant factory

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_of_connectors_and_fasteners

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Recently[when?], a set of TCP/IP routines for QuickBASIC 4.x and 7.1 has revitalized some interest in the software. In particular, the vintage computer hobbyist community has been able to write software for old computers that run DOS, allowing these machines to access other computers through a LAN or the internet. This has allowed systems even as old as an 8088 to serve new functions, such as acting as a Web server or using IRC.[15]

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

got dat wmd posted:

Alternatively, cooties can be immunized through one child creating a square using his or her index and middle fingers (making a peace sign in each hand and laying one on top of the other).
this doesn't make a square!!! complaining on the Talk page

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

newreply.php posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordin_Benallal <- met this dude irl
you shouldn't help people escape from prison

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Amethyst posted:

anyone who cares about 'canon' in anything that isn't their loving religion is a manchild
Amethyst is a memory-gamma apologist

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ronald Raiden posted:

what if there is a goat the the first base
you click on the goat until it explodes

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
it's not really incredible -- you really can't imagine whites being so out of touch to the point where they think it's OK to narrate an article titled "nigga"?

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sniep posted:

cool, you got my post
i'm in your face

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

gooby on rails posted:

On July 4, 2007, just before the release of the last Harry Potter book, Janus appeared on-stage at the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest with a sign saying "Hermione dies".[2] Janus would later admit that the stunt led to rules against signage at competitive eating events, and that he suffered a significant amount of personal backlash for the prank.[1]
hermione dies? gooby pls

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
could you fuckoids please go back to talking about horrible bowel movements and other toilet humor, tia

e.g.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTBHaSn8bmA
^ best thing tim arnold ever did

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
jesus christ boy, what did you eat?!?!?

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

i wouldn't caw him that but he's up there
:stare:

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

being patient on this one, hoping i dont have to eat crow
quoth j290: never more

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Guido van Possum posted:

white people would be ok with will smith dating their teenage daughters
shouldn't since he's all up in xenu now

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

economics likes to think it's super complicated and advanced and stuff but it really isn't. so much of it breaks down to stupid common sense stuff like "when you do one thing, you may be giving up the opportunity to do another thing!" or "driving to work every day to make money means you need to buy more tires, reducing how much money you get overall!"
those types of economists are the same as poors who don't do cost-benefit analyses before getting that big rear end tv from rent-a-center, only they had mommy and daddy send them to college

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megarectum

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

that awful man posted:

doesn't include hello.jpg as an illustration, so yeah worthless
you could fix that seeing as how it's the Free Encyclopedia

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Install Gentoo posted:

I'm DragonflySixtynine and i'm some dumb editor of an encyclopedia... except contrary to ever other encyclopedia ever used, i don't get paid! yay for me1

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Insects_on_Woman.jpg
would 6x

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Guido van Possum posted:

Before his execution Brewer ordered a large meal that included two chicken fried steaks, a triple-meat bacon cheeseburger, a large bowl of fried okra, a pound of barbecue, three fajitas, a meat lover's pizza, a pint of ice cream, and a slab of peanut butter fudge with lots of crushed peanuts. However he did not eat any of it and the meal was discarded, prompting Texas prison officials to end the 87-year-old tradition[23] of giving last meals to condemned inmates.[24][25][26]
always some jerk ruining it for the rest of us

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the last med student party i went to, after hearing some boring poo poo about the minutia of rotation scheduling, i spent like 15 minutes ranting about how roadway striping & signage is deceptively small from inside of a vehicle and the fascinating design choices you have to make for humans moving at 60 mph

i might as well have been talking about hot mix asphalt design and aggregate grading tests for how absolutely uninterested they were
:allears: i would def. listen to this at a med school party, and would drunkenly shout down anyone who tried to change the subject

Cantorsdust posted:

yo med school parties are for three things: endless bitching about being at the bottom of a very tall shitheap, drinking to forget it, and hearing enrapturing tales of highway engineering. i would not recommend going to a med school party unless you're trying to do one of those three things.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

gooby on rails posted:

A Fistful of Datas (3.2 fistfuls adjusted for inflation)

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i got a 1000 on my driving test because i managed to punch a '74 bonneville into hyperspace

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hammerite posted:

my favourite part about driving tests is how americans assume that their piss easy driving tests are the norm everywhere else in the world and so when you mention that you failed the uk driving test however many times / nearly didnt pass they are all like "lol you must be a retard the driving test i took was really easy and therefore so is every driving test everywhere"

you're probably a retard

not because i saw your driving test score but just based on you are posting

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i don't even know what to say other than: gently caress

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
burn b-b-b-burn b-b-burn burn burn

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ithaca.PNG

thanks for your colored-in piece-of-poo poo map

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
fishmech'd again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

axolotl farmer posted:

...Kate-u~~~~