Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

spergers ruining a joke by overusing it? Well I never

the best way to celebrate the masters of non sequitur humor is to constantly parrot their best lines verbatim until the end of the universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

penguinmambo posted:

:stare: ALso why is it longer now

it has reached a critical mass and become self-sustaining

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

not so bad now that you can just ^u stuff

man is this new coder ever better than radium or what

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

go to about 9 minutes in

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rufo posted:

i bet he thought he was really smart with that bait+switch lol

i meant the point where they decide to show off the pair of bloody cochleas that they removed from their child's head

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i went to read about cochlear implants

quote:

The discovery that electrical stimulation in the auditory system can create a perception of sound occurred around 1790, when Alessandro Volta (the developer of the electric battery) placed metal rods in his own ears and connected them to a 50-volt circuit, experiencing a jolt and hearing a noise "like a thick boiling soup".

RIP badass scientists

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sweevo posted:

i once almost got in a fight over a pub quiz when a pivotal question was something like "after english, which language is spoken in the most countries?" and the supposed answer was sign language even though it's not "spoken" nor is it the same language in all countries

that's a really terrible question anyway because i'll bet all 6 of the official united nations languages have native speakers in every country in the world, so even if sign language does have speakers users in every country, at best it is a tie

i mean come on, 1/5 of the world is chinese, every country in the world is virtually guaranteed to have at least one speaker of chinese

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i expected worse tbh

imagine being that girl's parents though

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

E2M3 posted:

when i was travelling in europe with my wife we went to UK then germany and in berlin she called the u-bahn (sp?) the u-tube by accident

we had quite the laugh

true story

in german "u" is pronounced "oo" not "you"

if you had been educated, instead of some ignorant plebian, you would have known that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

wurst is pronounced with a "v", right?

yep

w in german = v
v in german = f
f in german = f

a volkswagen is a folks vah-gun and it is abbreviated "fao vay"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

veni vidi vicci? yeah, that should be a "w" in there boyo.

and c is always the hard c, like k

wenny weedee wiki

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

gooby on rails posted:

what did that question mean? shortest name? lowest atomic number?

smallest atomic radius or bust

Sweevo posted:

latin graffiti is great because nearly all of it is "MY GIRLFRIEND..." and "hey guys i just had sex!"

http://www.pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti%20from%20Pompeii.htm

i think my favorites are "this inn had bad service so me and my bro beat up the innkeeper and then went out and spent the money on whores instead" and "to whoever is making GBS threads on my wall: stop making GBS threads on my wall"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

Congressman Kickass – John Sweeney, Republican Congressman, New York[32]

would vote for

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

het posted:

includes hamburgers and openfaced sandwiches so it's basically as wrong as wrong can be

hamburgers are definitely sandwiches, don't be stupid

however open-faced sandwich is an oxymoron. if you don't have the top piece it's just a pile of food on bread. not a sandwich

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

what the gently caress is that

it looks like fried chow mein noods on a hamburger bun with onions? and cheese and some kind of sauce

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my sister met jian ghomeshi at some function when she was like 16 (he is 45) and he started hitting on her and gave her his number

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alley-oop_(basketball)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Amethyst posted:

pretty much the best gimmick poster in SA history

i liked gamequoter

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

from a page about william gibson's books

quote:

Researcher Colin Laney, who has a mysterious ability to identify patterns in vast tracts of information, appears in All Tomorrow's Parties and is the main protagonist of Idoru. Another recurring character is Rei Toei, the "virtual idol" ("idoru" being a mistaken Japanese rendering of "idol" -- the correct Japanese is "aidoru"), an AI pop star.

it's not *ugh* "idoru", it's aidoru, uha aha aha aha *snort* obviously

literally burn all animes to the ground

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ok so like i started to read that and it's all "trying to eliminate discrimination against fat women in offices and schools and stuff" which is fair enough i guess

then i got here

quote:

According to Monica Persson, over 56 percent of obese or overweight women have answered that they have been treated disrespectfully by their physicians, and 46 percent view their physicians as uncomfortable with the women's weight. Fat feminists argue that the likelihood of women to experience discrimination increases proportionally with body size; women who are naturally larger than the norm would be forced into a cycle of spending more money on health care just to compensate for being overweight.

holy poo poo, you mean if you're huge and unrepentant your doctors get mad at you and your healthcare costs more? goddamn

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"a typical example of a tsundere character"

helpful

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

why is the first spaghetti made out of a leather belt

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what does squid ink taste like? or is it just a thing they add for color

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

not clear why that's desirable in spaghetti but okay

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

tinselt0wn posted:

cause it adds another more depth and can be used to really accent the color of the vegetables or whatever else is on the plate

sorry about your mcdonalds diet

i didn't say it was ew yucky gross, just i don't really see why "faintly metallic" is specifically desirable. does it go with anything? i wouldn't call metallic a *good* flavor

and the first thing i asked was "is it just for color" so

i have eaten this and it wasn't terrible: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A1karl but i gotta say the idea of worms leaping out of my sandwich is p. disturbing to me

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

can you use the salt block more than once? like at the same party to cook many fish, not like put it away in the cupboard for later. or does it break or melt or something the first time you use it

e
okay i guess i could just read the website, apparently they are reusable. do they melt when you wash them? how long do they last? do they taste like fish forever?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what have you really not seen this guy before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sab2Ltm1WcM

he later built his grill into some sort of high-pressure oxygen blast furnace that will carbonize a whole goose in like 14 seconds

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nap.app posted:

ill settle for a way to slingshot cows into the center of the sun, however

the hard gamma radiation gives it a delicious smoky aroma, but the neutron bombardment seals in the juice

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chillbro Swaggins posted:

I work across the street from one of their satellite offices. I apply every couple of years but just half rear end it because I'm afraid of rejection.

oh that's a great strategy. so now instead of them going "yeah, this is the guy who just keeps on trying his hardest every year, he's got a passion for working here" it's "yeah this is that retard who sends us terrible half-rear end applications all the time"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sniep posted:

he must wanna punch whoever made that so hard

lol you think he didn't make that himself

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

its okay though cause her titties so steam-powered when she nudes, be whistlin like kettles

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beefy_meaty_peptide

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this is a much better version, less mean-spirited and makes fun of men and women equally

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i had a friend in high school who was african american. she was white and her family was a long line of wealthy dutch landowners who immigrated to america after apartheid started to disintegrate

i also had a friend who was black. his father was an aboriginal from australia and his mother was a native canadian

oh and there was a nice old lady at our church who always referred to balthazar, the black one of the three wise men from the christ nativity story, as an "african american". that was sort of cute actually

welp that's my story

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

got dat wmd posted:

Woah check the privilege there wizard

yeah at first i lol'd cause i thought it was a social justice thing too, but on further reflection i think they just mean it's like a spoiler for the content of the book series

i think.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

explain to me what kind of making GBS threads is not "buttshitting"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

besides my posting of course

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

wow and here i thought i was scrubby for not seeing Animal House until like 2004

it's okay, that is still extremely scrubby

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i can still hear the flybacks in crts and i'm in my late 20s and i ride a motorcycle. get on my level

also there's a mcdonalds in my hometown that solved the teenager problem with audio years before they invented the mosquito whistling thing. they just played opera and swing and classical music extra loud out in front where the teenagers would loiter. worked surprisingly well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pakled posted:

what kind of podunk place do you live where teenagers would want to loiter in front of a mcdonalds

small town in canada. however i don't live there any more

whenever i go back there are teenagers loitering in front of the mcdonalds though yep. i think because it's right next to the mall and the mall kicks them out