Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

not worthless, but i get why he changed his name

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Kum-sok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

akadajet posted:

what's worthless here? besides md5

the poster

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

prefect posted:

also, they insist that it's pronounced in a way that it isn't spelled :rant:

it is pronounced exactly as it's spelled, just that the last letter is a greek chi. because mixing latin and greek letters in a single word is something that people do.
:goonsay:

it's exactly as stupid as if i named my software "BOLT" but said "actually it's pronounced VOLT because the first letter is a cyrillic B, which makes a V sound"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LATEX is an engineer's idea of good typography, which is like how elon musk is a stupid person's idea of a smart person.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no one ever wedgied me in school so i have to keep posting like this and hoping that someday it happens

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

anyone who cares about making nicely typeset documents is these days doing it in something like indesign.

𝓛𝓐𝓣𝓔𝓧 is for stupid dorks who think that there's a mathematical equation that defines how letters should be arranged on a page, and it's just as dumb as thinking you can come up with a mathematical formula to make beautiful paintings. they want to believe that you can optimize everything into one correct solution and then apply that everywhere. it's an attitude you encounter a lot in engineering and it's so tedious and frustrating.

point to consider: when was the last time you saw a XƎ⊥∀˥ document that wasn't using the default configuration, or something very similar to it? have you ever seen, say, a poster done in ℓαтєχ? a restaurant menu? an infographic?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i was talking with an engineer once about sketching and drawing, since that is something designers are good at (at least until they become directors. lol) and engineers are...generally not.

he commented that he liked the way i could draw, and said "i think if i could learn to draw one thing really well, that would be enough for me. like if i could draw, you know, a really good martini glass that looked like glass, or something, then i'd consider myself a good artist."

that was like 10 years ago and i'm still baffled by it today. what an incredibly bizarre way to think about art.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Also sagebrush is an insufferable know-it-all

It's true. I do know all (in certain fields)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Indecent exposure is not a real crime. If you're naked and doing something gross and sexual and offensive, then it's sexual harassment. Otherwise you're just being naked and there's nothing wrong with that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

Army cutworms are one of the richest foods for predators, such as brown bears, in this ecosystem, where up to 72 per cent of the moth's body weight is fat, thus making it more calorie-rich than elk or deer.[10] This is the highest known body fat percentage of any animal.[11]

I had no idea that all of your moms were moths

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Although she was normal during the day, Jung recalled that at night his mother became strange and mysterious. He reported that one night he saw a faintly luminous and indefinite figure coming from her room with a head detached from the neck and floating in the air in front of the body. Jung had a better relationship with his father.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

For temperature studies, subjects must remain awake but calm and semi-reclined in near darkness while their rectal temperatures are taken continuously.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

For example, a study of the relationship between fathers, their sons, and home computers found that the construction of fatherhood and masculinity required that fathers display computer expertise.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

living the dream

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

get a load of professor spellcheck over here

what's up?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

and liquor! don't forget liquor!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The best way to avoid getting tapeworms is to not eat undercooked pork or vegetables contaminated with faeces. 

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

polyester concept posted:

I remember reading once that a lot of people survived in the water after the titanic sank because their blood alcohol level was high enough that it kept them from freezing to death. idk enough about chemistry or biology to say whether that’s bullshit or not but it sounds cool

it's bullshit. hypothermia kills you by slowing down your chemistry way before your body actually freezes solid. and a solution of 0.50% ethanol in water (fatal blood level for nearly everyone) only depresses the freezing point like 1 degree anyway

there are salamanders that can make a biological antifreeze and fill their body up with it before hibernating over the winter, which i think is pretty cool.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 5, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dril is noted for making posts relating various things his fictional wife does that make him seem pathetic, like withholding his inhaler or keeping him from purchasing a harp.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

chocolate can, in general, be safely consumed by humans.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Russ Frushtick of Polygon claimed that Jynx is a worst first-gen Pokémon that should be wiped from existence, and further stated that Jynx is just problematic at every turn.[41] Liz Finnegan of The Escapist listed Jynx as worst Pokemon design, and further stated that the problem with Jynx is that she’s not menacing, nor is she cute. Jynx is just plain old ugly.[42] VentureBeat placed Jynx on a list of "seriously ugly Pokémon" from the past twenty years, and claimed that Jynx has always weirded him out.[43]

Where's the lie

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

meditating to increase my amusement power

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Fish_described_in_1761

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Carbonated water (also known as soda water, sparkling water, fizzy water, club soda, water with gas, in many places as mineral water, or especially in the United States as seltzer or seltzer water)

Definitely ordering "water with gas" next time

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

not worthless, just fun

quote:

As a natural food substance, manna would produce waste products; but in classical rabbinical literature, as a supernatural substance, it was held that manna produced no waste, resulting in no defecation among the Israelites until several decades later, when the manna had ceased to fall.[32] Modern medical science suggests the lack of defecation over such a long period of time would cause severe bowel problems, especially when other food later began to be consumed again. Classical rabbinical writers say that the Israelites complained about the lack of defecation, and were concerned about potential bowel problems.[32]

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If a true strong AI is ever created, I doubt it will be recognizable as a human-like intelligence. We barely understand how our own cognition works, let alone intelligent animals', so I suspect that an electronic intelligence would be completely unknowable. Humans trying to assign human characteristics to one would be like fish trying to understand a submarine.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

Sand dollars are named as such not for their monetary value, but because of their appearance.

drat, there go my retirement plans

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The name comes from the Hindustani (originally Persian) word barf, which means snow.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Live and Let Die was released during the height of the blaxploitation era, and many blaxploitation archetypes and clichés are depicted in the film, including derogatory racial epithets ("honky"),

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The most common example is in measuring the pitch diameter of screw threads (which is also done with conical anvils or the 3-wire method, the latter of which uses similar geometry as the pair-of-balls approach).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this page itself is not worthless

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sandwiches

but sort the list by "origin", scroll down to United Kingdom, and prepare thyself :barf:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

While the Wienermobile was not as long as the 1995 version, it was considerably wider and taller.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

As the mean duration of a tropical year is 365.24219 days, while the long-term average duration of a synodic month is 29.530587981 days, the average lunar year is (365.24219 − 12 × 29.530587981 ≈) 10.87513 days shorter than the average solar year

I'm not sure that defining the length of a month to an accuracy of 2.5 milliseconds is all that meaningful, but okay

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slippy Pete, Mr. Freckle, and Nutso are presumed dead; they were sucked into the singularity created by Maelstrom.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

(unreal tournament announcer voice)

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Critical Acclaim

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm plärts

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megarectum

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

akadajet posted:

never heard of this, but the fact this exists is hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

The slow worm (Anguis fragilis) is a reptile native to western Eurasia. It is also called a deaf adder, a slowworm,[2][3] a blindworm, or regionally, a long-cripple and hazelworm. These legless lizards are also sometimes called common slowworms.

rude