Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

"Fart" redirects here. For other uses, see Fart (disambiguation).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Simple Wikipedia is where nerds use a list of allowable words go to remind anyone without an advanced degree in whatever the gently caress they're describing that they clearly did not receive enough atomic wedgies in high school, college, and most likely adulthood.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

people who clearly wrote Wikipedia articles about themselves

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The Onion Futures Act is a United States law banning the trading of futures contracts on onions as well as "motion picture box office receipts".[1]

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Tweezer Reprise posted:

Versions include:

Row, row, row your boat,
Gently down the stream.
If you see a crocodile,
Don't forget to scream.

or:

Row, row, row your boat,
Underneath the stream.
Ha Ha! I fooled you,
I'm a submarine!

Or

Row, row, row your boat,
Gently to the shore.
If you see a lion,
Don’t forget to roar!

Or

Row, row, row your boat,
Gently around the bath.
If you see a large giraffe,
Don’t forget to laugh

Or

Row, row, row your boat,
Gently down the river.
If you see a polar bear,
Don’t forget to shiver.

Or

Row, row, row your boat,
Gently down the stream.
Throw your teacher overboard
And listen to her scream.

and:

Row, row, row your boat,
Gently down the stream.
Try to make it back to shore
Before your boat sinks.[6]

lol [citation needed]

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The Wyoming theory originated in an episode of Garfield and Friends[26][27] that first aired in November 1989.[28]

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

46 people, including 12 children, died today in a bus crash in Bulgaria, the deadliest bus crash in Bulgarian history. I can't even look at Wikipedia without seeing tragic news and they keep making sure I know all the details :(

Sauzer posted:

that article was deleted for being non-notable in 2019 but has since been lovingly sheparded to Good Article status by the aptly named SoulBust

mods, please change my name to "surrealist eroticism of content"

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

It's probably the guy who did the "ask me about being a Wikipedia admin" thread.

edit: scratch that, he's posting in this thread. No offense intended.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 2, 2022

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Accubitus posted:

In 2004, Marlinspike bought a derelict sailboat and, with three friends, refurbished it and sailed around the Bahamas while making a "video zine" about their journey called Hold Fast.

huh, I wonder which person named Marlinspike this might be about ...

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

(not a Wikipedia quote)

Reminder to please plant your yards and gardens with species native to your region. Native plants will host native bugs, which feed native or migratory birds. Non-native species decrease biodiversity and should be considered ornamental - consider Doug Tallamy's analogy of treating non-native species like statues, it's ok to have a few for ornamental value, but you wouldn't want to crowd the place with them.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Midjack posted:

The couple married in 2016 at Burning Man.[27]

quote:

Prior to that, she was an executive vice president of Hooters.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

FMguru posted:

bonus points if you knew exactly what scene in what movie that was referring to without looking it up
I'll admit I double checked, but it seemed pretty obvious.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

polyester concept posted:

i watched a youtube about a huge collapse that killed a lot of people because they hosed this up
This is the one in the diagram
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyatt_Regency_walkway_collapse

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

To be fair, this is significantly easier to understand than an actual automatic transmission.

Also, after childishly laughing at the term "(reciprocating) dingle arm" with friends, I looked it up and it refers to the trailing arm of a boomerang once it's thrown.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Platystemon posted:

who wrote this poo poo? the 1950s?
Sounds like typical Wikipedia. Completely encyclopedic and neutral, [crosses fingers behind back] absolutely no right-wing bias.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

animist posted:

In 1999, DigiScents developed a computer peripheral device called iSmell, which was designed to emit a smell when a user visited a web site or opened an email. The device contained a cartridge with 128 "primary odors", which could be mixed to replicate natural and man-made odors. DigiScents had indexed thousands of common odors, which could be coded, digitized, and embedded into web pages or email.[4] After $20 million in investment, DigiScents was shut down in 2001 when it was unable to obtain the additional funding it required.[5]
I remember reading about this in 1999. I thought there were a lot more than 128 when Popular Mechanics had an article about it, but that was around the same time that they actually published this cover and the corresponding article, so technical accuracy clearly wasn't their top priority

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I thought that was just Elon Musk with extra nitrogen.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Zamujasa posted:

Thomas Jefferson may not have invented the cipher technology that became known as the coding we see today but he implanted the existence of such an invention. Without the creation of the Jefferson disk the making of future ciphers wouldn't have happened until much later in our history or possibly would never have happened at all. Our technological knowledge would be far behind what it is now if coding didn't thrive. Coding has influenced more of our history than most even believe. We've won wars using it, we've communicated with it, we've created machines using it, we even use it in our phones and computers without even realizing it. Jefferson sparked the creation of a main part of the world of technology that we use in our everyday lives whether we know it or not. We would have a very different and underdeveloped world compared to today without it being invented. we owe Thomas Jefferson a great thanks for creating such an invention.
Why am I so sure that the people who posted both of these are white supremacists?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Jabberlock posted:

Their anarcho-communist political leanings led them to have an irreverent attitude toward authority, and to espouse a variety of political and social causes including animal rights and pacifism (early in their career) and later regarding class struggle, Marxism, feminism, gay liberation, pop culture, and anti-fascism.

Chumbawamba
remember back in the day when Abraham challenged guttermonkey, on threat of permaban, to get an intentionally misspelled "chumbawumba" tattoo and he did?

IIRC, guttermonkey went through with it, shared some correspondence with the band with a quote like "oh dear, I'll ask everyone if anyone would match it with a "guttermonkey" tattoo," and then guttermonkey got banned for posting bestiality in A/T or PYF.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Projects that X has considered and rejected include a space elevator, which was deemed to be currently infeasible;[55] a hoverboard, which was determined to be too costly relative to the societal benefits;[56] a user-safe jetpack, which was thought to be too loud and energy-wasting;[57] and teleportation, which was found to violate the laws of physics.[57]

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Yes, back in the day, nothing like that ever happens anymore.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

distortion park posted:

ive never understood the basilisk thing. why's it any different for an ai than a human dictator? once it exists why does the ai care?
Clarke's Law holds that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Less Wrongers turn that on it's head and take it to the extreme where if its indistinguishable from magic, it can be assumed to be omniscient and omnipotent (see, for example, The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect).

Any challenge to their faith in this yet-to-awaken machine god is drowned out with assertions that ain't zeros to numbers stacks the odds against the critics.

The problem, as I'm sure you've realized by now, is that it's really loving stupid. You can't make a stupid premise true by piling large numbers on top of it, but that's what they do because it's not just the belief system, at the core of it, they're really loving stupid.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 23, 2023

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

In one extreme instance of self-censorship, the team explored an urban legend stating that a widely available material could be used to create an explosive. To their surprise, the seemingly unlikely legend proved true, but the material was so easy to obtain, and the resulting explosion so powerful, that the production team decided allowing such information to reach the general public would be irresponsible, instead electing to destroy all footage of the experiment and agreeing never to speak of the incident.
:tinfoil:
a significant portion of wikipedia is The Anarchist's Cookbook for people who can pass organic chemistry, and there's a lot of stuff that's simpler than that. I'll refrain from posting weapons of mass destruction recipes, but if your bathroom and kitchen are clean enough that you invite guests over a second time and they actually want to visit, "oops, I mixed ammonia and bleach" is on the low end of the damage you could do. a few kinds of high explosives, hydrazine rocket fuel, chemical irritants, and with a quick trip to the garage you can make good old phosgene/mustard gas. The possibilities only expand if you have a pool. you open up a few more high explosives for easy mixing. Then you get into poo poo like people actually trying that one weird trick the BAFTE actually don't want you to know.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

i was hoping for some mundane poo poo like an ancient phoebus cartel, but with bricks.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ma'am, please, we're trying to establish a useful size comparison here
i thought someone who knows how wikipedia works managed to sneak this illustration into the page for Led Zeppelin

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

this is the kind of thing where the article is disproportionally long for the subject, but as long as everything is cited properly and someone might find it useful (after decades of working on my family tree, some questions and gaps were filled in, proven, or disproven by wikipedia sources), why not put it on wikipedia rather than on some website that will disappear in 10 years or behind a paywall? I've added bits and pieces to articles over the years when I tried Google (especially back when it was useful) and figured that if I couldn't find it, I was only wondering because I read something in a book that had a single print run in the 1970s, and could confirm their source by filling out a form and having someone across the country scan the three pages they cited, why not spend another minute adding it with a citation and make the site a bit more useful? i figure it's better than letting information disappear from history when the last copy of the original book gets pulped because some library's budget gets cut and they have to reduce storage costs by getting rid of books that haven't been checked out in the past 75 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Midjack posted:

In 2015 Vox listed Williams' device as Number 5 on its list of "7 horrifying attempts at building a better mousetrap", and in 2012 Business Insider called it "the best mousetrap ever".

Out of desperation, I bought an electronic rat trap. It ran on 4 size C or D batteries and required an app and wifi connection so it could notify you when it electrocuted one.