Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Do you think it's worth expanding the article to include the impact the quake/tsunami has had on the anime and manga industry? Probably more so than the videogame industry, anime and manga has seen a hit, with the delay/cancellation of anime/manga broadcasts/releases and the cancellation of many events including the Tokyo International Fair. It's also worth noting bout the number of manga and anime industry members, including those from North America, showing support for the quake victims. I feel incorporating it into one big 'media' article rather than having two seperate articles would make more sense. Wonchop (talk) 15:33, 16 March 2011 (UTC)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
Alright, let's look at it this way.

>This is like loudly discussing horse racing bets at a funeral. (from this diff)

There's a difference between discussing horse bets at a funeral, and discussing horse bets at a different location, but coincidentally at the same time a funeral takes place. The analogy makes no sense, because Wikipedia is not a place of mourning.

>Just the timing is disgusting. (same diff)

Again, subject to opinion.

>This is the tool of tabloid journalism and not welcome in wikipedia! There are your wrong priorities!

You must be new to Wikipedia then. Wikipedia reports facts as they occur, as long as there are reliable sources, notability and verifiability is ensured, and there are no BLP issues. It doesn't matter if 10,000 people die in a chemical gas attack, or 2,000 are in a derailed train; if it can be proven and that it fits in with those policies, it can be included at the discretion of Wikipedia contributors. There is nothing about "being polite based on timing", or any other of that nonsense. And "priorities" is quite loaded in this sense - are you saying that if my University headmaster died, I'm not allowed to smile for three months to be respectful to him? -- 李博杰 | —Talk contribs email 07:27, 17 March 2011 (UTC)

compuserved fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 17, 2011

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

quote:

Even if your work ends up being better suited to using Unicode and XeTeX (and in the long run LuaTeX may end up superior here too, it also supports OpenType), it is still better than the latex -> dvi -> ps/pdf model.

I sense a great deal of hostility here about a build cycle that TeX users have used, and with great success, for more than a decade. While it may be true that pdftex works for your needs --- many apparent further above --- it is in no way clear that it is appropriate in the scenario given, where pdflatex seems to be exhibiting its intrinsic difficulties and gyrations. If Lonely Bridge is trying to make it work (and that, it sounds, in short order), and has a working Postscript file, then ps2pdf is likely the shortest error-free path if PDf is needed.

quote:

This is only sort of true. There are reasons to use the dvi -> ps -> pdf route, but they are pretty isolated and can lead to some problems. In particular some packages only work this way, such as pstricks. This is because they include literal Postscript code so a direct to PDF won't work...

There's a big reason that this document build path hasn't been removed from the world: Because the other doesn't necessarily work. Every negative point that you've made about DVI/PS applies to PDf as well (and you conveniently missed dvipdfm in your discussion). PDf specials can be included within, rather, transported through, Postscript files, producing your aforementioned clickable links, and all other manners of PDf madness. Errors with images abound with any input type, as neither system supports all image types natively.

In fact, the biggest problem is that which you've pointed out above: PDf doesn't support Postscript. There are documents that PDf cannot render. There are things that can be done easily in Postscript (and with xypic, pstricks, Metapost and other Meta-applications, all of which are very powerful applications due to the sheer man-hours invested in their development) which would require significantly more work in pdflatex. I have PS documents that are smaller than their PDf equivalents, and gzipped Postscript that's a good dozen times smaller still. For all the sound and fury PDf has going for it, Postscript is often the better choice for designs intended for print.

A priori, very specific tasks may benefit from one build path over the other, but it's also clear that Lonely Bridge is trying to solve a problem, not redo the entire paper. A posteriori, one knows that the TeX world is vast and diverse, with users creating documents and typeset beauty in what, to others, must appear "the most difficult way". A tempo, TeX users should probably just stick with what works and realize that their earlier decisions have heavily influenced their knowledge of the systems therein, and that any change will require the next learning curve to be attacked. That might require the discomfort of going to a document format that is more supported in the present, but, for most people, I expect that will require the discomfort of realizing that most people have chosen the path of least resistance and it will work only in 90% of cases, and progressing much beyond that will require a strong understanding of the firm foundations on which the systems are built, along with a keen practice of more things that look less like the written word and more like "arcane programming languages".

compuserved fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 19, 2011

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

quote:

You never view PDFs in your browser?

You never should. Get yourself a nice Postscript viewer.

compuserved fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 19, 2011

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
mad mad mad about file formats

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Call Now posted:

the works of Herbert the son who is poo poo piss garbage

ya brian herbert can't write for poo poo. also books 5 and 6 are pretty weird.

just pretend the series ends with book 4 and ur set.

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Install Windows posted:

because they're terrible

in college some people on the computer interest floor couldn't stop raving about firefly, and when i told them it was campy sci-fi with shallow and uninteresting characters, they were apoplectic. p funny seeing fedora-slinging nerdlingers get mad about tv.

i'm glad I elected not to live on that floor.

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

so you never watched it, got it

the show is ok but the fans are terrible

i watched the whole season to see what the fuss was all about and it was dumb

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

have you seen scifi

its kind of a dumb genre

i grew up reading dune and asimov's short stories, but yeah on the whole the genre is p terrible.

*consumes some spice* i can see the future... the future of my posting... it's poo poo.

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
shaggar is the god emperor of yospos. he will suppress the use of all languages except java and c# for over 4000 years and repeatedly kill and resurrect his most trusted advisor, tbc

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
brb, writing my dune-yospos crossover fanfic

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

i'm more of a betel nut chewer myself

gimme some of that sweet sapho juice

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Symbolic Butt posted:

scholars of anime

lmao at this whole page: Anime and Manga Research Circle

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

compuserved fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 13, 2014

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioKyxGkBRro

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

lmbao (laughing my bleached rear end in a top hat off)

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
vomit on vlogs

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
welcome to my web zone

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
pat metheny is a talented musician