Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Handjob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

EwokEntourage posted:

bar prep courses

This is what I settled on. Thanks :).

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Arcturas posted:

Whiskey, a fancy pen, a little gavel that they can leave on their desk and fidget with, framing for their diplomas, addiction counseling subscriptions, an obnoxiously loud tie, referrals for large clients, an e-ink tablet for taking notes, or a mini-fridge for their office.

legit all good suggestions

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

TheKevman posted:

I've been posting in the Pregnancy Megathread about my wife and I, and I'd love if anyone has any FMLA information/pregnancy discrimination experience.

We're starting a conversation with a lawyer (began the process last week) but if anyone can opine/has experience, we'd appreciate it, since we're basically on an island here.

This might be too advanced/complicated to post here, but here goes.

Backstory:

My wife's company was acquired by a company based out of another state. She is/was a rockstar employee (#2 in charge behind the CEO in her 30 odd person clinic) and the acquiring company made a number of 'big promises/future plans' when they acquired in late Sept 2022. We have some of these plans in writing, including her slotting in in a Regional Director role.

My wife disclosed to her new direct supervisor in early January that she was pregnant and asked for confidentiality based on the fact that she didn't want any of her coworkers to know.

3 weeks after the disclosure, her new management began stripping responsibilities. This culminated with a visit in mid March from the new owner who, in their 1 on 1 (before my wife disclosed to him that she was pregnant- at that point 26 weeks and still completely hiding it with sweaters/baggy clothing) asked her point blank "What are your plans after your pregnancy? Are you planning on returning to work here? Word around the office is you aren't planning on coming back." Of course, my wife was completely caught off guard since she is planning on returning, she has never said anything to the contrary to anyone, and she immediately stated that she fully intended on returning after her FMLA.

3 days later, she received a new job description (with a massive reduction in responsibilities) and was told she would be receiving a new, lower title (although they haven't adjusted her pay, yet).

With her due date approaching in mid June, on 4/21 she stated her intent to take FMLA/PFML effective 6/15 (6/19 due date). She wanted to go above and beyond the 30 day requirement.

We live in Washington State (thankfully) where the Washington PFML laws provide 4 weeks for pregnancy medical recovery as well as 12 weeks of bonding time for a total of 16 paid weeks. Additionally, a C-section or bed rest mandate can add 2 weeks to the paid leave, for a total of 18 weeks.

She stated this in her notification letter, that she planned on taking 16 total weeks (4 medical, 12 bonding).

She received a response from the 3rd party HR that reads thusly:

They then called her and she missed their call but in their voicemail they informed her that her dates were calculated wrong and she needed to adjust them to match 12 weeks of leave.

It just sucks for my wife because she's absolutely convinced (based on their actions) that they're walking her off a cliff here and they're going to dump her the moment she starts her PFML, benefit-less. I'm certain they'll come up with some horseshit "her position was causing us undue financial damage" bullshit, but yea.

I know for a fact that they're wrong about Washington PFML, I'm just trying to line up any other things that I can to see where we can take it.

I've been doing extensive reading about 'integrated companies' (which voids the 50 employee minimum threshold for FMLA protection) of which her current company most definitely seems to be as it meets all 4 of the stipulations to be defined as such:

(i) Common management; (yes)

(ii) Interrelation between operations; (yes)

(iii) Centralized control of labor relations; and (yes)

(iv) Degree of common ownership/financial control. (yes)

They have 500 employees total across the country- the only kicker here is that they only have 37 within a 75 mile radius of her office. However, I keep seeing that there may be exceptions to the 50/75 mile radius rule. For example, no mention of 75 miles is made in Washington revised law (https://codes.findlaw.com/wa/title-50a-family-and-medical-leave/wa-rev-code-50a-35-010.html)

I'm not really sure what I'm looking for here, just basically...a direction or if anyone else has gone through anything remotely close. It feels like the 75 mile radius thing is gonna be hard to overcome, but I do see articles in which it's seemingly ignored, provided the company has at least 50 employees (which we believe they would, according to that integration test).

Any thoughts or suggestions would certainly help and be appreciated.

You have. Asked! A. Complex Question! about. Employment! Law! and or. Medical! Law!

In addition, this may be. State! Specific.

I'm sorry, at this time we are unable to handle these inquiries. Please contact your nearest local law firm for more information. Goodbye! :sun:

*click*

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I had a work fall and chose to get an ophthalmology appointment because my eyes got acutely worse after the fall.

The ophthalmologist didn't find anything except my vision has gotten worse faster than it should be, and gave me a glasses prescription.

Should I go ahead and get new glasses through my worker's comp insurance?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

EwokEntourage posted:

i think he got mail from some lawyer that is getting listing of new cases filed and mailing out solicitations to represent people. its pretty common

After having not been served or been sewer-served, then having to deal with a default judgement against me when I was broke as hell and isolated in a new town this owns.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
How do you even contest sewer service? I assume the process serving company fabricates everything.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Azuth0667 posted:

How do you even contest sewer service? I assume the process serving company fabricates everything.

Is a lovely job, but someone has to do it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Remulak posted:

sewer-served

Is this when you're served with papers by a ninja turtle or what

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Volmarias posted:

Is this when you're served with papers by a ninja turtle or what

I mean those papers probably did end up meeting with Master Shredder.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Azuth0667 posted:

You get a court date and testify you were not served, then there’s an actual court date for the trial in small claims court, aka state sponsored attacks on the poor. A lot of people don’t do this and eat the default as they have no idea what to do.

Finding out you had a default judgement against you without knowing you were even sued and can’t afford a lawyer loving sucks.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Remulak posted:

small claims court, aka state sponsored attacks on the poor

:wtc:

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

TheKevman posted:

I've been posting in the Pregnancy Megathread about my wife and I, and I'd love if anyone has any FMLA information/pregnancy discrimination experience.

We're starting a conversation with a lawyer (began the process last week) but if anyone can opine/has experience, we'd appreciate it, since we're basically on an island here.

This might be too advanced/complicated to post here, but here goes.

Backstory:

My wife's company was acquired by a company based out of another state. She is/was a rockstar employee (#2 in charge behind the CEO in her 30 odd person clinic) and the acquiring company made a number of 'big promises/future plans' when they acquired in late Sept 2022. We have some of these plans in writing, including her slotting in in a Regional Director role.

My wife disclosed to her new direct supervisor in early January that she was pregnant and asked for confidentiality based on the fact that she didn't want any of her coworkers to know.

3 weeks after the disclosure, her new management began stripping responsibilities. This culminated with a visit in mid March from the new owner who, in their 1 on 1 (before my wife disclosed to him that she was pregnant- at that point 26 weeks and still completely hiding it with sweaters/baggy clothing) asked her point blank "What are your plans after your pregnancy? Are you planning on returning to work here? Word around the office is you aren't planning on coming back." Of course, my wife was completely caught off guard since she is planning on returning, she has never said anything to the contrary to anyone, and she immediately stated that she fully intended on returning after her FMLA.

3 days later, she received a new job description (with a massive reduction in responsibilities) and was told she would be receiving a new, lower title (although they haven't adjusted her pay, yet).

With her due date approaching in mid June, on 4/21 she stated her intent to take FMLA/PFML effective 6/15 (6/19 due date). She wanted to go above and beyond the 30 day requirement.

We live in Washington State (thankfully) where the Washington PFML laws provide 4 weeks for pregnancy medical recovery as well as 12 weeks of bonding time for a total of 16 paid weeks. Additionally, a C-section or bed rest mandate can add 2 weeks to the paid leave, for a total of 18 weeks.

She stated this in her notification letter, that she planned on taking 16 total weeks (4 medical, 12 bonding).

She received a response from the 3rd party HR that reads thusly:

They then called her and she missed their call but in their voicemail they informed her that her dates were calculated wrong and she needed to adjust them to match 12 weeks of leave.

It just sucks for my wife because she's absolutely convinced (based on their actions) that they're walking her off a cliff here and they're going to dump her the moment she starts her PFML, benefit-less. I'm certain they'll come up with some horseshit "her position was causing us undue financial damage" bullshit, but yea.

I know for a fact that they're wrong about Washington PFML, I'm just trying to line up any other things that I can to see where we can take it.

I've been doing extensive reading about 'integrated companies' (which voids the 50 employee minimum threshold for FMLA protection) of which her current company most definitely seems to be as it meets all 4 of the stipulations to be defined as such:

(i) Common management; (yes)

(ii) Interrelation between operations; (yes)

(iii) Centralized control of labor relations; and (yes)

(iv) Degree of common ownership/financial control. (yes)

They have 500 employees total across the country- the only kicker here is that they only have 37 within a 75 mile radius of her office. However, I keep seeing that there may be exceptions to the 50/75 mile radius rule. For example, no mention of 75 miles is made in Washington revised law (https://codes.findlaw.com/wa/title-50a-family-and-medical-leave/wa-rev-code-50a-35-010.html)

I'm not really sure what I'm looking for here, just basically...a direction or if anyone else has gone through anything remotely close. It feels like the 75 mile radius thing is gonna be hard to overcome, but I do see articles in which it's seemingly ignored, provided the company has at least 50 employees (which we believe they would, according to that integration test).

Any thoughts or suggestions would certainly help and be appreciated.

The change in job duties / demotion could arguably be pregnancy discrimination, but it's hard to know what to make of it without more details. What explanation have they given for the change and/or timing, if any? Has she pushed back? Would she agree to stay in the new role?

Does she want to keep working there, or to gtfo? If she wants to stay, it's often advisable to take it slow and see how things feel after returning from leave. if she wants out, then it's easier to start filing complaints internally and externally. Remember they she has 180/300 days to file a timely charge if discrimination at the state/federal levels.

If she raises concerns of discrimination internally, it should always be documented somehow. If she's alleging that these issues we're discriminatory, she should be explicit about that when raising the complaint.

The disclosure of someone's pregnancy on its own probably isn't an adverse action, as management usually informs other management. Assumptions about not returning are more questionable, especially if connected to any change in job duties.

I don't know much about the FMLA arguments, but she could try to negotiate for extra leave and see what happens. I also don't understand your integrated employee argument. Integrated with whom? Do they have people working under technically different companies at the same location, or with 75 miles? I don't see how you get around the 50 employee rule on the details you've shared.

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 3, 2023

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

bird with big dick posted:

It's good to treat yourself

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Remulak posted:

You get a court date and testify you were not served, then there’s an actual court date for the trial in small claims court, aka state sponsored attacks on the poor. A lot of people don’t do this and eat the default as they have no idea what to do.

Finding out you had a default judgement against you without knowing you were even sued and can’t afford a lawyer loving sucks.

Are you a lawyer? I'm not seeing any strategy here, so that might be why a default judgment happened.

cwinkle
Mar 7, 2008
I am trying to get my hands on some court filings out of a county court in Texas. The case is public record, and the county court's web site has links to .tifs of the documents but when I click on the link it says I don't have permission. Anyone know any way around that? I don't want to make a 1000 mile trip to that court house.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

cwinkle posted:

I am trying to get my hands on some court filings out of a county court in Texas. The case is public record, and the county court's web site has links to .tifs of the documents but when I click on the link it says I don't have permission. Anyone know any way around that? I don't want to make a 1000 mile trip to that court house.

Try calling said courthouse and asking to speak to the clerk of court. Have the case # ready to hand when you do so. Ask if they can mail you a copy.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
They will charge you for the documents fyi, probably per page

One the Texas lawyers might be able to pull it for you. I don’t have PMs but I have the same username on discord It’ll depend on what county

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Azuth0667 posted:

Are you a lawyer? I'm not seeing any strategy here, so that might be why a default judgment happened.
Not a lawyer, was poor, sewer served and hit with a default judgment.

Sitting in court waiting to testify that I wasn’t served and watching the collection lawyers winning default after default, the court cases stacked up for their convenience was a goddamn nightmare. The civil court system as I saw it is a horror show.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Remulak posted:

Not a lawyer, was poor, sewer served and hit with a default judgment.

Sitting in court waiting to testify that I wasn’t served and watching the collection lawyers winning default after default, the court cases stacked up for their convenience was a goddamn nightmare. The civil court system as I saw it is a horror show.

There was a great piece in 2008(? 9?) about how the forclosure courts were just a monstrous sham of lawyers for banks getting every break and unlimited deferments, including for blatant fraud when they lost the original signed documents and just made a new one, while anyone showing up for themselves pro se was just insta-judged if they made a single mistake anywhere. The second day whoever it was tried to show up to observe the court became closed to them. loving awful but :fsmug: so

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 6, 2023

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I live in Michigan, for reference. I rent half a house with my mom, and we are both disabled - I'm on SSDI, she's on Social Security Retirement right now, so we're on limited income. Back in march, after her third bout of bronchitis in as many months, my mother decided to organize her clothes in her closet. She had a lot of nice clothes from her days as a college professor, as well as sentimental items and gifts. She discovered that the back wall of her closet was damp and moldy, and this had soaked into her nice clothes, ruining about $3500 worth of clothes. It also explains her repeated bronchitis and other symptoms. Our landlord has basically done nothing, and said he can't do repairs while we're living here. We're trying to move out, but the earliest we have heard for availability of a new apartment is August.
  1. This place was a mess when we moved in, back in 2006 - the carpets, flooring, wallpaper, and paint are all at least two decades old at this point. Due to how moving out of my old place went, the landlord didn’t do any of the between-tenants cleaning or maintenance they should have.
  2. Our old landlords did zero maintenance - the only repairs ever done by them were emergency repairs or forced on them by city inspectors. Repairs we have asked for, sometimes for a decade and a half at this point, have never been done.
  3. We’re also certain that our old landlords withheld a lot of things (issues we know they were aware of) from our new landlords when they bought it two years ago - and our old landlords stayed on as property managers!
  4. These current mold issues ultimately stem from this lack of maintenance:
    1. There’s been mold here since day one - when moving in, the movers refused to put things in the basement because of it. There’s mold in numerous places on the outside of the siding.
    2. There has been water in the basement 11 of the 17 years we’ve lived here.
    3. The bathroom walls are full of mold internally - I was in the room when the plumbers told our old landlord this.
    4. There’s no built-in fan in the bathroom.
    5. Every window in the house has issues that prevent us from using them for air circulation: Either being physically unopenable, having rotten unsafe or missing screens (which have never been replaced either), or the window frames being filled with mold.
In my communications with the landlord, he stated that he would be unable to do repairs while I was living here, and I’ve been operating under the idea there’d be no repairs done until we left. Now my property manager messaged us that they’ve been talking to a contractor, like they’re going to come in and do repairs. We’re currently living with my mom’s room sealed off, her belongings stuffed wherever we can find room, while packing and dealing with mold symptoms and our disabilities.

Having people trying to do repairs while I'm living here would make the apartment unlivable, and the earliest date I’ve heard for apartment availability is August. I think I need legal representation, but I don’t really know how to go about getting that, or how I would pay for it, because my current money is tagged for moving expenses like first months rent/deposit/fees, moving, and trash hauling.

All I want is to get out of here with a minimum of harassment, both before and after moving. I'd love an arrangement where both the landlord and I cut our losses, but I'm getting the feeling that might not be possible without help.

All the free legal clinics are in Detroit, which is about 3 hours from me, and I don't have a vehicle. Any advice you folks can give me would be appreciated.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Agents are GO! posted:

All the free legal clinics are in Detroit, which is about 3 hours from me, and I don't have a vehicle. Any advice you folks can give me would be appreciated.

Call them anyways, ask for local resources.

Call the Michigan State Bar referral service.

Google "Legal Aid Near Me"

Call a local attorney who does family law, and ask them, "Do you know anyone who could help us?" because they've almost certainly bumped up against rental issues and needing to get their clients assistance

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Agents are GO! posted:

Do they require you to come in person, or will they consult with you over the phone or Zoom?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

I've got jury duty coming up - criminal trial, expected to last 8 days - and was wondering a couple things.

1. How can I increase my odds of getting chosen for the jury? (I'm burnt out with work, and they top up pay, so it'd be a change of scenery). I'm white, male, mid-30s, no criminal record. Very boring computer toucher.

2. Is 8 days short/med/long? Does that length suggest any specific "genre" of crime?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Be honest when answering questions from the lawyers, we can tell if you lie to us. Answers that include "I can be fair and impartial," "I can hold the State to their burden," and "My job is going to pay me for jury duty so I'm totally OK with however long you want me here judge" would increase your odds.

Watch the new show "Jury Duty" on Prime. It's basically a documentary and really great.

Don't speculate on the length of trial. Sometimes trials go quick, sometimes slow. It would be very unusual for a misdemeanor to take 8 days but it can happen, at the same time sometimes murders take 3 days.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also it will probably settle.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Agents are GO! posted:

In which direction? Not sure if Lansing or Ann Arbor would be more feasible but the law schools at MSU & UM both have clinics as well. Not sure if the relevant clinics take new clients over the summer--I know some of the UM clinics did a decade ago but not sure about the relevant ones for your situation or MSU.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Emily Spinach posted:

In which direction? Not sure if Lansing or Ann Arbor would be more feasible but the law schools at MSU & UM both have clinics as well. Not sure if the relevant clinics take new clients over the summer--I know some of the UM clinics did a decade ago but not sure about the relevant ones for your situation or MSU.

If you can look up either school's faculty, you'll see who the clinical professors are, and even if they aren't having students in the clinics over the summer, they'll point you to the various organizations they get their clients from. These organizations will not be law schools and so likely will be open over the summer, and will not only be looking for problems perfect to give to trainee lawyers with no experience.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Just avoid Western Michigan University law school, they’re more likely to make your situation worse.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

Also, have a hearty lol at a lawyer that decided to use ChatGPT for his legal research, cited the cases ChatGPT found, then got dumpstered when the court went "uh, those don't exist". His main defense is essentially WELL I ASKED CHATGPT IF THOSE CASES WERE FAKE AND IT SAID NO

https://twitter.com/Ugarles/status/1662272915948072963

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.nysd.575368/gov.uscourts.nysd.575368.32.1.pdf

edit: actually it's deeper than that

https://twitter.com/Ugarles/status/1662279440921944064

Repost from the GIP current events thread.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
e:nm

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 29, 2023

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Here's an interesting one, I think: in currently serving on a grand jury in a class action lawsuit. The trial is lengthy so they went with 18 jurors and will drop six alternates when testimony is complete. Nobody knows who the alternates are.

Are there general rules around the alternate selection process, or do they vary widely by state? The case is relatively high profile (at least around here) so I'd rather not provide that info, but I'm curious if that's generally random? Assuming the legal teams have some say in that initial pool (right? Going off movies here), are alternates picked factoring in those preferences, or is it random once the initial pool is in place? Hope that makes sense, trying to figure out why my odds might be for being picked or dismissed. Thanks.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

rivetz posted:

jury stuff

Is this direct contempt or indirect contempt?

Is it considered happening in front of the judge if he (the judge) reads the post while he's sitting on the bench, for purposes of direct contempt?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I thought a grand jury applied to criminal cases, deciding on indictment. Everything else was a petit jury.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

rivetz posted:

Here's an interesting one, I think: in currently serving on a grand jury in a class action lawsuit. The trial is lengthy so they went with 18 jurors and will drop six alternates when testimony is complete. Nobody knows who the alternates are.

Are there general rules around the alternate selection process, or do they vary widely by state? The case is relatively high profile (at least around here) so I'd rather not provide that info, but I'm curious if that's generally random? Assuming the legal teams have some say in that initial pool (right? Going off movies here), are alternates picked factoring in those preferences, or is it random once the initial pool is in place? Hope that makes sense, trying to figure out why my odds might be for being picked or dismissed. Thanks.

Sometimes the alternates are chosen randomly at the end of trial, sometimes at the beginning. I'd say if you don't know yet and you're already hearing evidence then it'll be random at the end.

The very initial pool is randomly selected from the city/county/whatever, then the eighteen of you were selected down from that. The lawyers would have had a lot of input on that winnowing down procedure.

And if you're hearing evidence with a judge present and lawyers for both sides also present you're on a petit jury (normal like on tv type of jury) not a grand jury (cranks out fifteen indictments a day, no judge present).

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

rivetz posted:

In Australia it's by random ballot, and I certainly hope it's that way in the US too. It's the only fair way to do it.

The only safe person is the foreperson so the pro tip is to try be the foreperson so there isn't a risk you just wasted days or weeks for nothing.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Organza Quiz posted:

In Australia it's by random ballot, and I certainly hope it's that way in the US too. It's the only fair way to do it.

The only safe person is the foreperson so the pro tip is to try be the foreperson so there isn't a risk you just wasted days or weeks for nothing.

Also if some of the jurors aren't really doing tasks or are moving through the courthouse vents they're probably imposters and you should vote them out.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

sullat posted:

Also if some of the jurors aren't really doing tasks or are moving through the courthouse vents they're probably imposters and you should vote them out.

Buddy, I work here and they don't let me eat the witnesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

sullat posted:

That's part of it actually, the case is complicated as hell and of the 15 of us there are exactly 3 who haven't written down a thing and come of as thoroughly checked out. It's got me wondering when the alts are selected and is there any discretion in the process. Sounds like that's a nope. Thanks all. I can come back and dish on the case once it's been decided right?